I colored my hair w/ Indigo **Pics**

The color came out great! But....I'm more impressed with the fact that you're a fan of Brandon Boyd. :giggle: The things I would do to him...:blush: I enjoyed looking at your fotki. Did you notice a difference in the strength/silkiness/texture, etc. (besides looser curls)? *Disappears from the forum to listen to Make Yourself*

The color came out great! But....I'm more impressed with the fact that you're a fan of Brandon Boyd. :giggle: The things I would do to him...:blush: I enjoyed looking at your fotki. Did you notice a difference in the strength/silkiness/texture, etc. (besides looser curls)? *Disappears from the forum to listen to Make Yourself*

Girl yes Brandon is my boohbooh i love him so much :grin:

Yes I did notice a difference. My strands feel a little "fatter" (their obese now lol). I guess the Henna & Indigo made my strands thicker. The strength still feels the same (I had the same amount of shed hairs). The texture is looser. I have some curls and some waves. I guess because the strands are fatter their heavier, the weight is making my hair wave instead of curl? But I like it! I just washed out my deep conditioner and put it into banded pigtails. My mommy says i like like a Native hehe!

I just bought indigo and I can't wait to use it. Does anyone know if you have to use henna at the same time as indigo? I henna'd a week ago and wanted a shortcut.

I just bought indigo and I can't wait to use it. Does anyone know if you have to use henna at the same time as indigo? I henna'd a week ago and wanted a shortcut.

Henna leaves a red tint and indigo leaves a dark tint. If you want the indigo to take, I'm told, you actually have to use the henna first, as OP did.

OP, your hair looks great! I would like to try but found even my one attempt at hennaing too much work. The idea of having to henna and indigo sounds exhausting. Yours came out really nice, though.

I've Indigo'd a week later after using Henna in the past. I didn't have a problems with it. I would suggest clarifying first, just to make sure there is no product build-up on the hair, then apply the Indigo to damp hair. You'll have a better chance of having the Indigo adhering to the Henna. Hope this helps.

sounds good but i have some questions.

1) Can you use henna and indigo after having previous coloring from like Loreal or Aveda?

2) someone said the effects from Henna and Indigo are permanent. Does that mean that you can never change the color with additional henna or indigo? Or do you just have to wait for it to grow out?

sounds good but i have some questions.

1) Can you use henna and indigo after having previous coloring from like Loreal or Aveda?

2) someone said the effects from Henna and Indigo are permanent. Does that mean that you can never change the color with additional henna or indigo? Or do you just have to wait for it to grow out?

Well my previous color was from loreal. I dyed it brown/blonde earlier this year. So yea you can Henna/Indigo over already dyed hair. Now, how long you have to wait to Henna/Indigo after a fresh color chemical service I do not now.

Yes its permanent. Thats the reason why I used it. I am a color maniac! My hair is getting longer and I already use heat once a month. I figured by using Henna and Indigo I wouldn't have to worry about any color set backs in the future. Once you Henna and Indigo you have to grow it out. I have heard of some who tried to lift the henna and Indigo and it was a no dice move and their hair was messed up. But I don't know people come up with new stuff everyday.

here's my hair this morning! Me Likes!!!!

7-vi.jpg

9-vi.jpg

you can tell by looking at my Avatar and these pics the henna has stretched my waves out some!

Last edited:
I wonder if you could use indigo alone to color your hair. Hennaing looks so complicated.:ohwell:

I wish I could :ohwell:....I think it will give off a blue-ish/greenish tint to the hair....especially if you have gray. I have to do the 2 step henna/indigo every couple of months, I gray on my temples and front hairline but sometimes I only do the edges because I don't like how henna/indigo dry out my hair. It is time consuming but I guess beauty cost huh? :lachen:

You know what i started to leave it on longer. When i took the plastic bag off it was still green in some places and blue/black in others. I should have waited until it all changed dark. Maybe next time i will live on a lil bit longer. Thanks!

You're more than welcomed BB. You are doing very well by your hair.

boingboing,

Thanks for responding. What i guess i wanted to know is, if you wanted to color ur hair another color with henna, could you color over it with Henna? Like if u wanted a touch of something different??

boingboing,

Thanks for responding. What i guess i wanted to know is, if you wanted to color ur hair another color with henna, could you color over it with Henna? Like if u wanted a touch of something different??

If I wanted to "change" the stain of the indigo, I think I would have to let it fade out after a few months. For example, I could just do henna by itself over it (no indigo) and get a cherry cola black stain. Or I could mix henna and indigo in the same bowl and maybe get a dark brown stain. But it will always be dark. You can change the staining over it with different Henna Indigo ratio mixes, but it wouldn't be drastic and will always be dark (in my case).

Did i answer your question?

beautiful results! :grin::grin::grin: ... ok spill the beans.:lachen: what did you do & where did you get it from? :grin::drunk::grin: i've tried to indigo my hair 3 times & it still won't take over my henna. :wallbash: i ordered my indigo from henna sooq & followed the instructions to the t. -- let dye release 10-15 mins, add salt -- still nothing. their henna worked fine, but nada with the indigo.

i did find an indian store in the city that sold "black henna", but the ingredients weren't listed on the package & the powder was way too grainy -- it had little, tiny, grassy bits. i had to sift it 3 times to get all that mess out. i know from experience how dificult it can be to rinse that stuff out :grin: so i wasn't havin' it. ... it did actually work though, but i didn't repurchase because of the extra work caused by the graininess. :perplexed:spinning::perplexed

THIS IS WHAT I LEARNED A FEW YEARS AGO. do not premix the indigo!!!!!
Once you mix the indigo, apply it to your hennaed hair right away!!!!. Do not wait until there is a color release of the indigo first. Indigo is blue! Henna is red. Red & blue =black. Black + red = dark red.!!!!!!When you have rinsed out the henna, THEN MIX THE INDIGO AND SALT AND HOT WATER, AND THEN APPLY. If you want it to go really dark or black, this is very key. I found this out the expensive way years ago. Wasted a lot of indigo because I did not know this. Found it out from Catherine Cartwright the henna and indigo guru. She pinpointed my error in letting the indigo dye release first. The green indigo powder is actually BLUE Indigo and the dye should be released into the reddened hair (from the henna) in order to get black hair! Remember the COLOR WHEEL? I have found her advice and my experience to be fool proof. My hair goes jet black about 2 minutes after contact with this method. I leave it in for at least 2 hours.

Also, if you do not use up the indigo you have mixed, you can add the LEFT OVER MIXED INDIGO to left over henna but it will not dye your hair jet black. It will just darken up your henna to a brown color.

Last edited:
THIS IS WHAT I LEARNED A FEW YEARS AGO. do not premix the indigo!!!!!
Once you mix the indigo, apply it to your hennaed hair right away!!!!. Do not wait until there is a color release of the indigo first. Indigo is blue! Henna is red. Red & blue =black. Black + red = dark red.!!!!!!When you have rinsed out the henna, THEN MIX THE INDIGO AND SALT AND HOT WATER, AND THEN APPLY. If you want it to go really dark or black, this is very key. I found this out the expensive way years ago. Wasted a lot of indigo because I did not know this. Found it out from Catherine Cartwright the henna and indigo guru. She pinpointed my error in letting the indigo dye release first. The green indigo powder is actually BLUE Indigo and the dye should be released into the reddened hair (from the henna) in order to get black hair! Remember the COLOR WHEEL? I have found her advice and my experience to be fool proof. My hair goes jet black about 2 minutes after contact with this method. I leave it in for at least 2 hours.

Also, if you do not use up the indigo you have mixed, you can add the LEFT OVER MIXED INDIGO to left over henna but it will not dye your hair jet black. It will just darken up your henna to a brown color.

Yep I agree. Thats what I did. I didn't mix the Indigo until i was about to put it in. As soon as i was done mixing I slapped it in.

I swear we are hair twins. I wish my hair had your thickness, though. Your hair is beautiful girl :yep:

Back