Henna/Indigo update

I ordered Henna and Indigo last week and I can't wait to try it. My hair turns a "sandy" color in the summer and I want to try soething different than the commercial hair dyes.

I ordered Henna and Indigo last week and I can't wait to try it. My hair turns a "sandy" color in the summer and I want to try soething different than the commercial hair dyes.

Please be sure to post or share your results. I'm excited for you! I remember when I was gonna 1st try this, I was a little leery of how it would take on my hair. But now so glad I did. The "sandy" color & to cover bleached section is why I did it in the first place, but now since its helped w/ the health its a staple for me.

Please be sure to post or share your results. I'm excited for you! I remember when I was gonna 1st try this, I was a little leery of how it would take on my hair. But now so glad I did. The "sandy" color & to cover bleached section is why I did it in the first place, but now since its helped w/ the health its a staple for me.

Will do, thanks! I keep checking out your comparison pics, that's ome grea growth in such a short time! Keep up the good work!

Tigget, I still got my left eye on you, gurl. Keep up the good work. Not only is your growth phenomenal but your hair is so shiney I keep wanting to touch it through the monitor. :blush: Major faux paux I know but I just can't help it. You hair is beautiful. It's a 180 degree turn around in such a short period of time.

Last edited:
:bump::bump::bump:

Another update:grin: Still using Ayurvedic Tea Rinses (Amla & Shikakai). I love it so far. I hope to be shoulder length by end of December, but the overall health of my hair is most important.

Your hair looks really good and you have made some great progress.

Way to go!!! :clapping: :up:

Tigget, I still got my left eye on you, gurl. Keep up the good work. Not only is your growth phenomenal but your hair is so shiney I keep wanting to touch it through the monitor. :blush: Major faux paux I know but I just can't help it. You hair is beautiful. It's a 180 degree turn around in such a short period of time.

Thank you! Gon' and touch it. :lachen:

It has amazed me! There is hope for me yet. I have always wanted jet black hair, wished i'da known about this years ago.

Your hair looks really good and you have made some great progress.

Way to go!!! :clapping: :up:

Thank you. Look at your hair, I want to be like you when I grow up...for real. Ima shock a lot of ppl if my hair reaches your length.:grin:

Tigget75, your hair is looking good! I can see that you are achieving length at quite a fast pace! Just wanted to say this-in case you haven't seen it yet-Lavendar2 has recently posted in her fotki a simple Henna gloss recipe for in between henna treatments. I just ran across it yesterday (thanks, Lav!!!), and it seems easy enough to do every 3 weeks or so, to extend the life of your last henna treatment, and get some good henna conditioning results as well. Shoutouts to Lavendar, Medmunky, and Aggie- you all are my henna gurus!!!!!!:grin: Keep the information coming, cause we're loving it! Thanks for sharing!

Tigget75, your hair is looking good! I can see that you are achieving length at quite a fast pace! Just wanted to say this-in case you haven't seen it yet-Lavendar2 has recently posted in her fotki a simple Henna gloss recipe for in between henna treatments. I just ran across it yesterday (thanks, Lav!!!), and it seems easy enough to do every 3 weeks or so, to extend the life of your last henna treatment, and get some good henna conditioning results as well. Shoutouts to Lavendar, Medmunky, and Aggie- you all are my henna gurus!!!!!!:grin: Keep the information coming, cause we're loving it! Thanks for sharing!

Oh my, thank you so much. I have went thru her site and :heart2:it. This is right on time. I am experimenting everytime w/ my rinses. But have yet to make a conditioning paste. Can't wait.

I didn't read through this entire post but I got so excited hearing and looking at your henna experiences that I ordered henna and indigo last night. My only question is has anyone used henna for African hair? The website I ordered from had body quality henna for African hair. It is new this year.

I will be "hendigo-ing" for the very first time this friday, 9/26/08. I am a bit scared, but excited too. I purchased Jamila (100g) and Indigo(100g) from Catherine's site (hennaforhair.com). I will be doing the one-step 1/3henna + 2/3indigo.:yep:

Wish me lots of luck!:grin:

I didn't read through this entire post but I got so excited hearing and looking at your henna experiences that I ordered henna and indigo last night. My only question is has anyone used henna for African hair? The website I ordered from had body quality henna for African hair. It is new this year.

Thank you!

I've never heard of Henna for African hair. What website is this?

I will be "hendigo-ing" for the very first time this friday, 9/26/08. I am a bit scared, but excited too. I purchased Jamila (100g) and Indigo(100g) from Catherine's site (hennaforhair.com). I will be doing the one-step 1/3henna + 2/3indigo.:yep:

Wish me lots of luck!:grin:

Of course good luck. If you don't mind sharing, what do you plan on mixing yours with? I know I feel like a chemist, w/ mixing and all :lachen: Its like since the first time I did this, I can't wait til the next time.

Of course good luck. If you don't mind sharing, what do you plan on mixing yours with? I know I feel like a chemist, w/ mixing and all :lachen: Its like since the first time I did this, I can't wait til the next time.

Sure!
STEP 1: For the 50g of Jamila-Henna, I will mix just enough water to make it a paste. I will add a small 1tsp lemon juice. I will leave henna to sit on a warm stove for about 4hrs, just long enough for initial color release.

STEP 2: I will mix 100g inidgo with enough water to be a paste. I will let it sit for about 10min. I understand this is all that is required for indigo to actually color-release.

STEP 3: I will mix jamila and indigo together. Right before I apply to my hair, I will add e.v.coconutoil, and a bit of tresemme for easy rinsing.

STEP 4: I will cover with plastic caps and sit under dryer for about 1 hour. Then I will remain in plastic caps without heat for another 1hr.

STEP 5: Rinse. DC with my Aubrey Organics HoneySuckleRose Moisturizing Conditioner with EVCO, jojoba, and sweet almond oils mixed in.

VOILA!!!

Hoping that the "mess" will be quite minimal.:yep:

Thank you!

I've never heard of Henna for African hair. What website is this?

It was the link from HennaforHair.com. I can't think of the name of the company at this moment but it is the company that comes up when you click on a picture at hennaforhair.

Here is the info from the online site I ordered from.

TapDancing Lizard
Henna for Hai
Indigo Page
ICNHA Mehandi.com
Supplies for Hair and Body Art
TapDancing Lizard TM LLC [email protected]
New Phone Number! 330–689-0725
FAX 330-688-8803
4237 Klein Ave.Stow, Ohio, 44224
Go to Mehandi.com shop index

All of these hennas are pure, Body Art Quality henna. They have slightly different texture and dye contents because they are different crops from different countries, soils, and climates. One of them is just right for you!

Body Art Quality 3 Henna from Yemen: This gives THE BEST gray coverage!
This has a higher dye content than the other hennas. It is best for covering gray, and for dying hair rich auburn.

Sample BAQ 3 henna from Yemen (about 3g) = $1 (just enough to test on hair harvested from your hairbrush)

Body Art Quality Henna for African Hair: This gives GREAT gray coverage! Finest sift for easy rinsing. This henna is produced for us in the Indus Bhera and Mailsi henna growing regions. Ideal for relaxed, damaged, and fragile hair or locks. Great gray coverage, leaves deep red highlights on dark hair.

Last edited:
Sure!
STEP 1: For the 50g of Jamila-Henna, I will mix just enough water to make it a paste. I will add a small 1tsp lemon juice. I will leave henna to sit on a warm stove for about 4hrs, just long enough for initial color release.

Sounds good. I viewed Lavender2 fotki (Stella B. suggested), and I like her recipe. Very simple. You may check it out too.

As for the Lemon I have read it can have a drying effect on our hair, so be mindful of this. I never used any terps.

STEP 2: I will mix 100g inidgo with enough water to be a paste. I will let it sit for about 10min. I understand this is all that is required for indigo to actually color-release.

STEP 3: I will mix jamila and indigo together. Right before I apply to my hair, I will add e.v.coconutoil, and a bit of tresemme for easy rinsing.

STEP 4: I will cover with plastic caps and sit under dryer for about 1 hour. Then I will remain in plastic caps without heat for another 1hr.

STEP 5: Rinse. DC with my Aubrey Organics HoneySuckleRose Moisturizing Conditioner with EVCO, jojoba, and sweet almond oils mixed in.

VOILA!!!

Maybe you can take b4/ after pics, and share your experience.

Oh it wasn't messy at all for me. I did have help though. But I still don't think it has to be a hassle.

Here is the info from the online site I ordered from.

TapDancing Lizard
Henna for Hai
Indigo Page
ICNHA Mehandi.com
Supplies for Hair and Body Art
TapDancing Lizard TM LLC [email protected]
New Phone Number! 330–689-0725
FAX 330-688-8803
4237 Klein Ave.Stow, Ohio, 44224
Go to Mehandi.com shop index

All of these hennas are pure, Body Art Quality henna. They have slightly different texture and dye contents because they are different crops from different countries, soils, and climates. One of them is just right for you!

Body Art Quality 3 Henna from Yemen: This gives THE BEST gray coverage!
This has a higher dye content than the other hennas. It is best for covering gray, and for dying hair rich auburn.

Sample BAQ 3 henna from Yemen (about 3g) = $1 (just enough to test on hair harvested from your hairbrush)

Body Art Quality Henna for African Hair: This gives GREAT gray coverage! Finest sift for easy rinsing. This henna is produced for us in the Indus Bhera and Mailsi henna growing regions. Ideal for relaxed, damaged, and fragile hair or locks. Great gray coverage, leaves deep red highlights on dark hair.

OH I have been to this site before. I didn't realize it was Mehandi. Although I don't recall seeing the Henna for African Hair. It does sound good. I am bout due for another order, so I may give this a try.

Have you ordered yet? If so, how was the shipping? Thanks for sharing

So, all of the other things that some ladies do such as mixing oils and lemon juice aren't really necessary? Thank you so much! :)

you can use herbal tea to mix it, too. I used a lil lemon juice, ACV, and herbal tea to mix mine. Also sit under a hood dryer or a heat cap, as it makes your color take faster.

I used the regular henna from that same site and it worked and rinsed fine. I think the one you ordered is just sifted more finely, but I would think you could sift regular henna to achieve the same thing...

Sure!

VOILA!!!

So you just rinse this mixture out? you don't shampoo??

OH I have been to this site before. I didn't realize it was Mehandi. Although I don't recall seeing the Henna for African Hair. It does sound good. I am bout due for another order, so I may give this a try.

Have you ordered yet? If so, how was the shipping? Thanks for sharing

The shipping was $5 per 300g. I bought 300g of henna and 300g of indigo

Last edited:
Yeah I watched it, and I really liked the way she applied it to her hair. That shows it definitely doesn't have to be a messy process.:yep:

Do you use a moisturizing conditioner after the henna and then apply the indigo or do you henna, indigo, dc?:spinning:

I plan on only doing the one-step henna/indigo process. So after I mix my henna&indigo together, I will add the coconut oil and the condish, then apply. After it's been rinsed out, I will dc with aubrey organics. That's it.!!:yep:

Back