He said lets go out to eat but he didnt have any money

Yup! Once! I was 15 and he was 17 (a senior :2inlove:) in my head we were meant to be. I finally convinced my father to let me go on a date with him but he would only let me if I took my younger brother. :lachen: So we met at a park, and sat and had a conversation, and then one of those ice cream mans walks by! I was 15 so hell yeah imma get me some icecream! So I tell the icecream man what I want. And my date says what he wants, and then starts checkin his pockets. After about 3 minutes he says "I forgot my money :eek:..." I said "awww that's okay..." And then bought both icecreams.

I gave what he ordered to my brother...
His face was priceless :lachen:
Immediately after I said my farewells and my bro and I walked home and told my dad what happened :look:

To this day my bro tells guys "Don't talk to my sister unless you can afford some ice cream" :amen:

Love it ^

No, I haven't had a guy do this. Weirdo's.

I kinda wonder if guys who grow up in single parent households are more likely to do this. Its like they are very comfortable with a woman "looking after" them, almost like a mother figure.

No shame towards the woman they are courting, no shame about the cashier seeing the woman pay and no shame about other customers hearing the exchange.

Last edited:
I kinda wonder if guys who grow up in single parent households are more likely to do this. Its like they are very comfortable with a woman "looking after" them, almost like a mother figure.

No shame towards the woman they are courting, no shame about the cashier seeing the woman pay and no shame about other customers hearing the exchange.
Don't know but my man was raised by a single (divorced) mom and he won't barely let me reach toward my purse when it's time to do all that. I be annoyed sometimes, cuz I love it when I have exact change and he don't be letting me shine right :lol:, but I do appreciate a man that pays. :up: There are things we've had to work on, thankfully, this has never been one of them.

Don't know but my man was raised by a single (divorced) mom and he won't barely let me reach toward my purse when it's time to do all that. I be annoyed sometimes, cuz I love it when I have exact change and he don't be letting me shine right :lol:, but I do appreciate a man that pays. :up: There are things we've had to work on, thankfully, this has never been one of them.

I'll be honest, I wasn't thinking of divorced single parent situations. But yeah, FH's parents divorced when he was 9 or something. Still his father was sole breadwinner and continued heavy contributions after divorce, then married another woman and she was able to be a SAHW also.

I'm thinking of those guys who never really had an example of a man doing the right thing in their household, ever.. :look: My community was Jamaican British and some of the set ups were kind of odd. Say the "baby father" may live elsewhere but pop in regularly for backrubs, cooked food, bring their laundry round to get washed and didnt contribute much financially. I wonder if a lot of boys who grow up like this are VERY comfortable letting romantic interests take care of them.

I don't think all of them are like that but that lack of shame must be more likely?

I'll be honest, I wasn't thinking of divorced single parent situations. But yeah, FH's parents divorced when he was 9 or something. Still his father was sole breadwinner and continued heavy contributions after divorce, then married another woman and she was able to be a SAHW also.
Both my parents and SO's broke up when we were two. His parents divorced, mine separated (and remain so o_O). So, no, I don't think he saw it in his household, but his family is full of 'family men', Southern-born pastors and such, so maybe how to do right was just floating through the air. :lol:

Or, it could be that both of our mothers had long term relationships (dating, no bringing in new men over their kids, hey @yardyspice) and dated guys who treated them like queens. For both of us, we had decades-long examples of our moms being handled like fine china (after which, dude would then take his happy @ss home :up:). I imagine those good examples effected him the same way they effected me. I always expected men to do for me, what else would they be doing? :lol: Similarly, he liked his mom's 'friend', so maybe he saw him as a role model.

It's never happened to me but it happened to one of my friends. Dude invites her to a fancy restaurant and then casually mentioned that he has no $. This was on the 3rd date BTW. She paid but she was mad as hell. He apologized and she decides to give him another chance. On the way to the date #4 he asks her to take him to the money lending place first so he can borrow $ to pay for their date. Needless to say they didn't last long after that.

Both my parents and SO's broke up when we were two. His parents divorced, mine separated (and remain so o_O). So, no, I don't think he saw it in his household, but his family is full of 'family men', Southern-born pastors and such, so maybe how to do right was just floating through the air. :lol:

Or, it could be that both of our mothers had long term relationships (dating, no bringing in new men over their kids, hey @yardyspice) and dated guys who treated them like queens. For both of us, we had decades-long examples of our moms being handled like fine china (after which, dude would then take his happy @ss home :up:). I imagine those good examples effected him the same way they effected me. I always expected men to do for me, what else would they be doing? :lol: Similarly, he liked his mom's 'friend', so maybe he saw him as a role model.

I think your SO sounds like someone who had good examples around him and the bolded is so important.

I don't have kids yet but I want them to see me being treated like Princess of Zamunda :lol:

Yup! Once! I was 15 and he was 17 (a senior :2inlove:) in my head we were meant to be. I finally convinced my father to let me go on a date with him but he would only let me if I took my younger brother. :lachen: So we met at a park, and sat and had a conversation, and then one of those ice cream mans walks by! I was 15 so hell yeah imma get me some icecream! So I tell the icecream man what I want. And my date says what he wants, and then starts checkin his pockets. After about 3 minutes he says "I forgot my money :eek:..." I said "awww that's okay..." And then bought both icecreams.

I gave what he ordered to my brother...
His face was priceless :lachen:
Immediately after I said my farewells and my bro and I walked home and told my dad what happened :look:

To this day my bro tells guys "Don't talk to my sister unless you can afford some ice cream" :amen:

tell your parents I said "salute a real ***** when you see one"

tell your parents I said "salute a real ***** when you see one"
I have excellent role models and people who consistently give me advice about relationships so I've always felt extremely confident in that aspect of my life. But seeing what some of my friends go through :look::cry3::badidea:
I talked to tons of people about their standards but then they end up paying for dates / breaking everything they said to make a random man fit into their lives
It can't be love or whatever because their paying for date #1 and on. F****** crazy to me :abducted:

It's never happened to me but it happened to one of my friends. Dude invites her to a fancy restaurant and then casually mentioned that he has no $. This was on the 3rd date BTW. She paid but she was mad as hell. He apologized and she decides to give him another chance. On the way to the date #4 he asks her to take him to the money lending place first so he can borrow $ to pay for their date. Needless to say they didn't last long after that.

Nah... I would not be driving him anywhere but home. Then again, there would not have been a 4th date.

It's a good one right! I once had a guy walk all the way through the line at chipotle ( we were on a date) and when we got to the register he wandered off and let me pay. I sat down and fumed. He picked up onmy vibe and was like what's wrong? I let him have it. He said he was fron cali and girls just has to ask and he would pay. I was like wtf! You should just know!
He offered to pay for my movie ticket and snack and I was like for what? And the movie sucked too. I left halfway through. It was my worst date ever. He brought his friend too at the beginning of the day. Terrible smh.

I went out to each dinner with my bestie and this happened to the couple seated next to us.

He told her how he wanted to be a movie writer. He said he just sees the characters in his head, but does not hear what they say. o_O

At this point, I motioned for the bestie to listen to the foolishness coming out of this boys mouth. We did not talk for the rest of the dinner. We communicated telepathically with our bestie powers and responded with our eyes and smiles. :spinning:

Idk how that lady listened to the amount of horse malarkey he was speaking. Soon the date was ending and he started smacking his butt really hard. Then he said he forgot his wallet. Put on this fake no effort of a shocked look and said it wasn't like him forget things.

When they left, the bestie and I laughed and laughed. I honestly don't even know how I kept my composure bc I'm always bursting out laughing at inappropriate times.

ETA: Not laughing at her, but at how lousy of a "date" he was. Couple was in their 30s.

This happened to me when I was 18/19. The guy I was dating was 23. We were walking around and he said lets go in that restaurant and get something to eat.

So we went, we didnt order much. I think I only ordered a salad. So then he says to me oh I forgot my wallet with a smirk on his face:nono:

Now back then I was naive, like I said I was 18. I was like :perplexed and then I was like whatever I'll pay for it. I didnt curse him out or tell him off or anything. Now I think back about it 7 years later and I'm like that was messed up. If that happened to me today I would have handled completely differently. I definitely wouldn't be the nice girl I was before.

My question is what would you have done in that situation? Did something like that happen to you and how did you react?

Girl things happen. In retrospect, just be happy it couldn't happen to you again.:afro:

No this hasn't happened to me exactly. But in high school I started dating this football player ( I was a freshman, he pursued me hard. He was a junior). He couldn't drive alone yet so my parents picked him up and took us to the movies. When we got to the register to pay for tickets, I stood aside after he paid. I fully expected him to pay. He looked at me wild and felt bad that I expected him to pay when he didn't have the money. But I paid my way and he never again let me pay for anything.

If i pay for a man, it's because I want to. But never on the first date and not off some "oh I left my wallet" foolishness

I went out to each dinner with my bestie and this happened to the couple seated next to us.

He told her how he wanted to be a movie writer. He said he just sees the characters in his head, but does not hear what they say. o_O

At this point, I motioned for the bestie to listen to the foolishness coming out of this boys mouth. We did not talk for the rest of the dinner. We communicated telepathically with our bestie powers and responded with our eyes and smiles. :spinning:

Idk how that lady listened to the amount of horse malarkey he was speaking. Soon the date was ending and he started smacking his butt really hard. Then he said he forgot his wallet. Put on this fake no effort of a shocked look and said it wasn't like him forget things.

When they left, the bestie and I laughed and laughed. I honestly don't even know how I kept my composure bc I'm always bursting out laughing at inappropriate times.

ETA: Not laughing at her, but at how lousy of a "date" he was. Couple was in their 30s.

This sounds like something me and my BF would do!! We love laughing at the clownish behavior of men in public LOL.

I don't believe in going Dutch. Men should pay for a date 99% of the time and fortunately, *knocks on wood* I haven't been on a date where I had to go Dutch. I always bring money though because these men are trifling. I'm also weird about getting picked up at my house for a date, but good thing I live in NYC so that doesn't happen too often. I need an escape route just in case something goes awry; Uber is so clutch in such a situation. This doesn't mean I wouldn't buy something for a man, I've treated a guy before because I initiated the date. If you want to spend time with me, a least cover the meal! I've heard so many horror stories from my sister and friends that I'm super paranoid that my good luck will run out. The day that a man who asks ME out on a date asks to go Dutch or make me pay for both of us will be D-Day. He would get dropped instantly without a word said. I probably would pay for myself and leave in the middle honestly.

Okay. I just got back from a date tonight...with new person
went very well!!!! :)..check comes...he takes it puts money out and then says
oh man! .....not enough for the tip ..

do you have a dollar?

I said ... indicating my purse...I brought makeup...
he dug in his wallet and pulled out ..voila! a five dollar bill

that..... is...

excuse me

was

our LAST date

Jesus! I can't stand men who don't tip well. I used to be a server so a bad tipper is a turn off to me.

This mess happens to me all the time. With ex bf and friends! I am such a sucker. Like one friend and I would eat but then only have enough money to cover her food and not the tip. So I end up paying the tip for us both.

I once had this man approach me at McDonald's while I was out with my cousins. He asked me for money. When I told him no he proceeded to ask me out on a date. :spinning:

One time,the homeless man put down his cup and said he wouldn't ask me for money bc I was pretty, but then asked me to go to the movies with him.

I wonder what on earth would posses them to fix their lips to ask lol maybe bc they have nothing to loose? :lachen:

I always think about Tamia and Grant Hill's first date where he forgot his wallet. Obviously she knew he could afford to pay for the date, and they ended up getting married and are still married today so I suppose he isn't just cheap. lol

Back