He said he loves me

This thread has got to be added to the all time favorites list!
I'm tripping on how some of the ladies swooped in and figured out the discrepencies. I'm scared of ya'll, lol!

Ya'll went in for real...

To be clear, I was not making fun of the OP. I just don't believe she practices law and makes a lot of money doing it with 5 kids. Kids are an issue for female attorneys:

Excerpt from "The 'Mommy Track' Turns 21:"

Thanks for that excerpt! It was very insightful. There's a reason why the media protrays female lawyers the way they do. Most times (in TV/movies) they rarely have a social life outside of their careers, and if they do, their personal relationships are barely hanging on by a thread. Children are usually non-existent as well.

Hell, I overhead Nancy Grace say on her show once that she's been practicing law since 1982 and waited until she was 47 to have children. I don't know how much that has to do with her focusing on her career and not having the time, but I'm sure it had a little bit to do with it.

I know a recently married couple and they're both lawyers. He's 33 and she's 38. No kids. They did tell me that they met in law school, though. I think the woman JUST found a job, and it took her a long time!

At any rate, good luck with your decision and I would say keep us posted, but I'm sure that's very unlikely to happen.

I am currently separated myself and I cannot understand how you can move onto another man already. I feel badly that your husband cheated on you but what sort of an example does this set for your kids? Two wrongs do not make a right. If this is a true story (sorry OP I have my doubts) I would suggest you and your husband get some couseling. Cut this co-worker-lover off and really figure out what direction your life needs to go in. What does this say about this man knowing you are married and still sleeping with you?

Bad idea, hopping from one relationship to the next. And with kids to boot.

You know why affairs are fun? Because they exist in a vacuum. You don't have the pressures and realities of life all over your relationship. It's like a teenage love story. It's all good until it gets real.

Last edited:
I am currently separated myself and I cannot understand how you can move onto another man already. I feel badly that your husband cheated on you but what sort of an example does this set for your kids? Two wrongs do not make a right. If this is a true story (sorry OP I have my doubts) I would suggest you and your husband get some couseling. Cut this co-worker-lover off and really figure out what direction your life needs to go in. What does this say about this man knowing you are married and still sleeping with you?

I'm sorry to hear about your separation.

It does say a lot when a man knows you are married and has no qualms about doing you. I don't care how "over" your original relationship is. It says a lot about his character.

I'm sorry to hear about your separation.

It does say a lot when a man knows you are married and has no qualms about doing you. I don't care how "over" your original relationship is. It says a lot about his character.

Thank you. (((HUGS)))

I mean maybe she meant she has an advanced degree???
Clearly I missed something.
I don't know anyone with a degree more advanced than a Master's that focuses on their Master's. Hell I know I don't (but I'm a braggart). I've never heard anyone with a JD, PhD, etc., say: (hand on clavicle) "and EYE have MY Masters."

I'm not sayin'

I'm just saying...#kanyeshrug.

I'm still stuck on FIVE kids. I say gatdamn!
But would that be the thing, especially on this site that they would speak of first?

That is like my SO who is in education would he say I am Raheem Doe M Ed or would he say I am Raheem Doe Phd? Most people would say Raheem Doe Phd, although a few may say Raheem Doe M Ed they are both true. I think that is was we find particularly strange on LHCF.
I hear what you are saying. It would be strange for me to say, "Blah blah blah and darn it I have my BA". Knowing full well that I also have a Master's, why wouldn't I just say that? Oh well.
Hmm so you're a lawyer with a Master's degree?

:rolleyes: I've been trying to tell ya'll that in most universities, even though you have to do a bachelors first, a JD and MD are technically considered undergraduate degrees. They are not terminal degrees. They are 'first professional degrees', which allow you to practice but are not the "end of the road" or "highest you can go". Lawyers can get a JD (LL.B --> B for bachelor) or a Masters of Laws (LLM --> M for masters) and they can get an SJD (which is basically a PhD in Law. Same thing for medicine and dentistry. U have an MD (initial doctor training/degree) but there are PhD's and other advanced degrees. The rules vary by country, but most follow the same pattern, with different names including the US.

OP could easily have her JD and a Masters in Law or a different discipline. I may not think OP's situation is sunshine and rainbows but questioning her education (which she should know, since she did it), just diverts from the real point.

:rolleyes: I've been trying to tell ya'll that in most universities, even though you have to do a bachelors first, a JD and MD are technically considered undergraduate degrees. They are not terminal degrees. They are 'first professional degrees', which allow you to practice but are not the "end of the road" or "highest you can go". Lawyers can get a JD (LL.B --> B for bachelor) or a Masters of Laws (LLM --> M for masters) and they can get an SJD (which is basically a PhD in Law. Same thing for medicine and dentistry. U have an MD (initial doctor training/degree) but there are PhD's and other advanced degrees. The rules vary by country, but most follow the same pattern, with different names including the US.

OP could easily have her JD and a Masters in Law or a different discipline. I may not think OP's situation is sunshine and rainbows but questioning her education (which she should know, since she did it), just diverts from the real point.

Some of what you said is true and some isnt. JD and MD's are not "undergraduate" degrees. Bachelor degrees are undergraduate. Master's degrees are "graduate" and JD and MD's are "professional" degrees. PhD's are your terminal degree as you said. But, this LLB is the law degree in common law countries. Canada, UK, etc. In the US, you need a JD. They aren't equivalent per se because here, you cannot be accepted to a JD program without a bachelor's degree (except for a very few, lower, law schools who have special programs where they offer a special track in undergrad). Same for the MD and medical schools. You need your undergraduate degree same as with most master's/graduate programs.

The LLM is what you can go for once you have earned your JD. But that doesn't make the JD undergraduate. The LLM is a specialized area of law in this professional program. I believe research work is done at this level in the specialized area as well. But in the US, you cannot enter the professional program without earning a bachelor's first (unless you are talking about a very small number of schools who are trying to attract more students like Thomas M. Cooley who accepts undergraduate students who have a certain number of credit hours and are very close to graduating) But even that kind of program is not considered undergraduate. I just think the difference in opinion is based on international differences.

^^^^not gonna argue . . . people have their minds made up already. If you look at most of the big schools, that's how they do it, including Harvard. If u have to have a JD to get your Masters of Laws, how is the JD already higher than bachelor's? And if you need both of those to get a PhD (SJD doctorate of Law), how is the JD not undergraduate? Is it offensive or something? It doesn't take away from the hard work everyone is doing. Of course you have to a generic bachelors in any discipline first to get in, because from high school you do not have the critical thinking skills or maturity to take on such a program. First professional degrees provide you with the basics to practice and Master's/Doctorates are more specialized and researched based.

Look into first professional degrees and credentialization, it is complex and very interestingly used in societies and I just find it interesting to see the knee jerk reactions that I have studied play out to a tee.

The only reason I went into that in my first post, was because I feel people are looking for a reason to discredit OP and the reasoning didn't even make sense. I dunno her, but just in case she really needs help, all the "calling out", is not helpful.

^^^^not gonna argue . . . people have their minds made up already. If you look at most of the big schools, that's how they do it, including Harvard. If u have to have a JD to get your Masters of Laws, how is the JD already higher than bachelor's? And if you need both of those to get a PhD (SJD doctorate of Law), how is the JD not undergraduate? Is it offensive or something? It doesn't take away from the hard work everyone is doing. Of course you have to a generic bachelors in any discipline first to get in, because from high school you do not have the critical thinking skills or maturity to take on such a program. First professional degrees provide you with the basics to practice and Master's/Doctorates are more specialized and researched based.

Look into first professional degrees and credentialization, it is complex and very interestingly used in societies and I just find it interesting to see the knee jerk reactions that I have studied play out to a tee.

The only reason I went into that in my first post, was because I feel people are looking for a reason to discredit OP and the reasoning didn't even make sense. I dunno her, but just in case she really needs help, all the "calling out", is not helpful.

It elicits a reaction because you insist on applying rules that used in other countries to the American system when its really not the same. Other countries refer to medical degrees as an undergraduate degree because you can attend medical school directly out of high school. I don't know how law education is in other countries but I'm assuming its similar.

The reason why Americans don't refer to the MD as an undergraduate degree is because an undergraduate degree is a prerequisite for entrance. MD's and JD's are higher than Bachelor's because a BS is required before you even begin a degree. This is not the case in other Western countries, hence the difference in terminology. Even in the schools that have an accelerated track, the students are offered both a BS and an MD after completion. That's just the way its done at all school's in the US. How do you know that its done differently at Harvard? Do you go there? HMS is accredited by the AAMC just like all the other schools. They're not just going to make their own rules. And I'm certain they require all of their students to have at least a Bachelor's.

There is no such thing as a Ph.D of medicine. The MD as far as you can go. You can get a Ph.D in a separate scientific field, but its a completely separate program. The classes are different, the prereq's are different, etc. That's why it takes so long for people to graduate from joint MD/Ph.D. programs, and those who do tout both of their degrees, because they are two separate fields.

Also once you're in medical school, you'll hear people referring to it as undergraduate medical education, because there are two parts to medical education: your medical school education that is completed when you get the MD, and residency (or graduate medical education), which is only open to graduates from medical school. However, once you are graduated from residency, you are not conferred a separate degree. You're just made eligible from licensure. This does not mean that they view MD as being the same level as a BS. Far from it. Even if a person graduated with both a MD/Ph.D, they are still required to go through residency like everyone else if they choose to practice.

If you go around calling MDs and JDs undergraduate degrees, you will get a reaction, because you're dismissing years of a person's education. I notice that you do this a lot. I think you like the reaction. Also, I think your playing dumb on why people get salty with you is complete BS.

A Bachelor's degree takes 4 years. A Juris Doctor degree takes 3 more years, and after that a Master of Laws degree only takes one more year. What kind of Master's degree can a person get in one year? It's not the same thing. The Master of Laws degree does not stand alone outside the J.D. unless a person received his law degree outside of the U.S., and even then the L.L.M. program is different for those people. That type of L.L.M. prepares the person to practice American law, while the regular L.L.M. allows a person who already has a J.D. to specialize in a particular area of law. A person can get a regular Master's degree without having a J.D, but no one can get a Master of Laws degree without having the J.D. first.

Master of Laws =/= Master's Degree

Last edited:
If you go around calling MDs and JDs undergraduate degrees, you will get a reaction, because you're dismissing years of a person's education. I notice that you do this a lot. I think you like the reaction. Also, I think your playing dumb on why people get salty with you is complete BS.

What would I have to gain from dismissing someone's education? That's really stupid and implies that I have a problem with it. I have my own education and own path and don't care enough about people on the internet to want to be malicious or "play games" to get reactions. I simply have a different viewpoint and that is allowed and the responses show that what a said about knee jerk reactions went totally over your head, because I was referring to something completely different and in another context. If you are secure about what you are doing and are doing it for reasons OTHER than prestige, hearing different perspectives on that shouldn't shake you. You know what you're doing and the hard work you are doing and no one is trying to take that away or discount it over a title or how other countries perceive it. It's not like I said, dr.'s and lawyers ain't ish. All I am saying is that in many countries, including some of the big schools in America, these degrees are not terminal. I was speaking more to credentialization and issues of that and not so much focused on "downgrading degrees". When I said knee jerk reactions, it wasn't about the reaction of you all, it was more about some studies I've done about credentialization and ranking/social stratification as it relates to capitalistic societies compared to other political/economic systems. The reactions I see here, reminded me of some things I learned, so I dunno why ya'll getting your panties in a bunch. This is a FORUM and I hate the fact that people have to operate in GROUPTHINK. You can actually learn something if you allow yourself to hear different viewpoints outside of your bubble.

What I was referring to didn't even have anything to do with most of what you guys are responding with, which shows me that you guys are not trying to understand what I am trying to say, but just dismiss. I have always been under the impression that one should be open to learning and exploring other views that are different than your own. I don't agree with ALOT that is posted, but I think it is to my benefit to understand differences. People see the world differently and have different vantage points. I also feel that many people base their views using America as the focal point and I'm sorry but America is not the center of the universe :spinning: and even within America there is a lot of differences, so I dunno . . . . .

Ya'll can get as mad as you want to, but I honestly don't see the big deal in having and expressing a different opinion. If people want to get all hot blooded about it cool.

I'll leave it at that so OP can get the help she needs, because the thread is about her problem, not people comparing how professions are ranked.

Back