Has a man told you they prefer natural hair?

Jenn22588

I was at a party and my hair was straightened and starting to get frizzy (my cousin said it wasn't but I'm more critical of my hair). This guy came up to my table and was talking then said he was happy to see a woman wearing their natural hair and not all the weaves and fake hair. I didn't know what to say so I just said "thank you" and smiled. I know alot of black men prefer long hair and don't like fake hair but how often do strangers tell you they like that you don't wear a weave?

It's not an uncommon thing for both men and women to tell me how much they like my natural hair. I know a lot of men who prefer to see natural hair than a weave. Possibly because a lot of women who wear them don't exactly take the best care of them...

Funny thing is when I used to wear my hair cut short (like really short... not even enough to make a tiny plait lol) I got a lot more compliments from men I didn't know. The majority of negative comments I received were from women! :rolleyes: When I initially cut my hair, many of my male friends were like ohh why did you do that? To which I would remind them that hair grows... then when I started growing my hair longer, those same fellas were complaining how they miss the short cut!

Just goes to show you that you can't please people, so might as well please yourself! :yep:

ive gotten it multiple times but sometimes i wonder the motive.

see, ive met men who have said that while i was wearing my natural hair in a natural style and they were trying to hit on me but knowing their dating history, have been linked to women with long weaves/relaxed hair.

ive also met men who say it (without romantic interest in me) who are extremely Afrocentric and wont even look at/date/respect women who are 1) relaxed 2) natural with flat ironed hair. Usually these men are too extreme for me in their beliefs about what Blackness should be.

I usually prefer to be around men who are in the middle, don't have a preference about how I choose to wear my hair. Who just appreciates that I wear my hair in a presentable style.

Yes, my DH hates my relaxed hair. He does not like relaxers on anyone and he can't stand weaves or extensions either.

My father and uncles also do not approve of relaxers/relaxed women.

All. The. Time.

But its the company I keep. I couldn't date a man who preferred relaxed hair or weaves. It goes against the principles I value. I often wonder how women who stop relaxing deal with men who don't like their natural hair. I wonder if it makes them question their feelings. I don't think I could stay with a man who told me he didnt like my hair natural. In fact, I'm POSITIVE I couldn't stay with that kind of man. To me, he is a slave lol

**these are just my personal views**

Let me see.

1.- My husband preffer me with natural hair
2.- A co-worker loves my hair, he wants to have his like mine

mmmm as far as i remember, that's it.

Yeah. This guy who I went out with for one date. (The funny thing is my hair was actually texlaxed and had that curly look..so that may skew the response a bit). He wrongly manhandled my head and was all "see I like woman like this, with that natural hair." I was all :look::ohwell:.

But most of the men in my family are against relaxers and make fun of weaves and wigs. And I know several other men who have stated that they prefer natural hair. I think it depends on the man and what type of circle you run in.

I hear at a lot of men say that but sometimes when men are talking about natural, they mean no weaves. I always ask what they mean by natural to see exactly what they are talking about.

My boyfriend would like for me to transition. He used to have extremely long nearly wsl hair. The only thing is that his view of what transitioning is supposed to be like though is very different from mine. I understand where he view comes from but I don't personally agree.

yes my ex does.
i told him i was going to get a weave and he was like nooo i like your natural hair better.
this other dude also commented on my hair when it was in a braid out and said natural hair looks good on me

Last edited:
My SO actually prefers my natural hair. When I met him I had a weave and he seemed fine with it. But as time went on and I started rocking my natural hair he voiced that he actually hated weaves and he was glad that I was natural.

Like Nichi said though, I need guys that are in the middle. I can't take all that extreme stuff nor can I deal with someone too superficial. Just like what I do with my hair and zip it.

Last edited:
my fiance makes a face every time i tell him that i am going to wear my lacefront. he likes my natural hair. he tells me there is no reason for me to relax. im glad im with a man who likes my natural hair. i know my ex was not a lover of naps.

I know a few guys who prefer natural hair, most however still prefer the hair to be long.

The last time I was natural, I was working retail part-time. One day I was at work rocking a high puff, when a popular local singer pretty much chased me down to tell me how much he loved my hair, and how beautiful he thought it made me look... and that he wished more Black women would go that route.

I know a few guys who prefer natural hair, most however still prefer the hair to be long.

The last time I was natural, I was working retail part-time. One day I was at work rocking a high puff, when a popular local singer pretty much chased me down to tell me how much he loved my hair, and how beautiful he thought it made me look... and that he wished more Black women would go that route.

I totally agree!

I hear at a lot of men say that but sometimes when men are talking about natural, they mean no weaves. I always ask what they mean by natural to see exactly what they are talking about.

Yeah he was talking about weaves. I don't think at the time he know whether my hair was relaxed or natural. I'm not sure how much he knows about hair. He knows I'm natural now though because he saw me with a puff.

when i was natural i would get ALOT of men complimenting me on my natural hair
now im relaxed i have never had anyone say to me i would look better with my natural textured hair for some reason they assume im ''coolie''

......i however have told people they would look good natural when i see there hair is a over processed relaxed mess....:look:

I get that ALL the time.........literally all the time. Its like they're coming up to me and venting their relief to see a girl that's wearing her own hair for once, it happens to me in all situations, waiting for the train, walking down the street, in stores and at parties fugeddaboutit:cool2:

One time I decided to wear my fro out fully shrunken and unmanipuated I looked like this I was walking down the street in brooklyn in my old neighborhood to go and see my gramma, all of a sudden this brotha with really nice dreads stops me and says "Oh my goodness sista I love your hair! Its all yours right?" I was like:lol: "Yes it is" he was like "Wow its so wonderful to see a sista wearing her own natural kinky hair" I was like :grin: "Thanks!" I thought that was the end of it and he was like "Come into my restaurant, I want you to choose anything you want, my treat" he owned a pastry shop and I was like omg:lick: so me and my friend chose red velvet slices of cake we said to him "Thanks so much for the cake!" and he was like "No thank YOU!" it was really sweet.

The more kinky my hair looks the more positive the feedback I get, my flat twist outs kinda make people shrug cuz it looks like 3c hair, but let me wear my BAA people can't get enough. I really :love2: NY.

Yeah, I was in the grocery store and the Pepsi guy came up to me and said "You are very pretty, and you have real hair!" lol I was rockin an afro puff that day

Most men around here hate weaves and extensions and plenty love a natural woman with no fake nails, colored contacts, make up, etc. I think it is because this is an island and when the guys here meet a women they want to have fun in the sand and sun with her and don't want her to be worried about messing herself up.

My hair looks so kinky that people are always telling me that they like my natural hair and I better not cut it etc. I tell the women who seem to be curious about my styling, reggie, and stuff that I am not natural. But most of the time I let it go because if I say I am not natural I get the :perplexed

I've never had a stranger tell me that they prefer natural hair over relaxed or weaved hair. My family and SO are all into natural hair, my friends detest natural hair. I say to each his/her own...

It's not an uncommon thing for both men and women to tell me how much they like my natural hair. I know a lot of men who prefer to see natural hair than a weave. Possibly because a lot of women who wear them don't exactly take the best care of them...

Funny thing is when I used to wear my hair cut short (like really short... not even enough to make a tiny plait lol) I got a lot more compliments from men I didn't know. The majority of negative comments I received were from women! :rolleyes: When I initially cut my hair, many of my male friends were like ohh why did you do that? To which I would remind them that hair grows... then when I started growing my hair longer, those same fellas were complaining how they miss the short cut!

Just goes to show you that you can't please people, so might as well please yourself! :yep:

i second that. either way someone will have something to say about wht YOU do. has nuthing to do with them, but they feel as if the're comments are valued?&^%$ :perplexed

Yes but unforntunately its never any of the men who "I" want to love my hair.

But the real kicker is that most of the time I am complimented on my "natural hair" its when I have in a kinky weave or drawstring afro puff lmao!!!

Oh yes. My ex hates when I straighten my hair. The wilder the better! In fact, I met him on a day when my hair was larger than life :lol: He said he wished my hair had even tighter curls...

I have learned not to put too much stock in complimentary words men use as a conversation starter or small talk. They will select whatever compliment increases their chances of talking to a woman they find attractive. If you were wearing a long weave, he would compliment you on something else. I have seen men state they cannot stand weave and still pursue women wearing one.

This isn't to say compliments aren't nice to hear, but I can't appreciate flattery which includes negative commentary regarding other women. " I like your hair" or "I like natural hair" minus the extras is sufficient.

Yes, I have had men compliment my natural hair...short hair, slick back hair bun, big hair, long hair, and even how nice I looked in baseball hat, etc..:lachen:.

Natural hair as in my own hair - I haven't really gotten comments one way or another. Most of the time they don't know I have weave until I tell them.

Natural hair as in no relaxer - The majority of men I've encountered prefer my natural hair over straight hair.

i dont think i've ever met a man who "preferred" a weave lol.. i think men just look at a weave as being a fake piece of hair hanging off your head.. most men want to see the real you... just like how a lot of guys dont like the colored contacts thing.. (i think both are cute but im not a man). A lot of it too goes back to the bedroom (:grin:) and some men like to run their fingers through your hair and not have them get caught up in a track or hidden braid..

And also, like an above poster said, some women dont take care of their weaves.. i think if its blended really well and doesn't look blatantly fake your more likely to pull it off.. My DH prefers my natural hair (no matter how long it is or gets, bone straight or curly or anything in between) but will still like the cute weaves that still look fairly natural AND COMPLIMENT my looks...

Back