"Why do so many blacks prefer straight hair?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but the answer is not simply "Yes, same as here." and if you expect me to accept that as a realistic answer then I am sorry to say that you are sadly mistaken...and maybe you should do a bit more research to give me a better answer.

That is a realistic answer coming from a Nigerian who is the only natural woman in her family (that I know of). In Nigeria (as in most colonized countries) it's more about showing wealth. The affluent people are influenced by western ways so if your hair is natural that means you can't afford a relaxer. All the commercials on tv and whatnot aren't geared towards natural hair. Also America is kind of showed as the land of milk and honey where everybody is balling. Part of that image is the weaved up relaxed black woman so when people emulate that image of wealth they see on tv that's what they're emulating.

Last edited:
I cannot speak to the experience of women in Nigeria or any other African nation because I have not lived there. Nor do I know enough Nigerian women to have an adequate understanding of general views on hair in that country. What I do know is that the question you posed earlier asked about people relaxing who have only been around others like them. I was simply pointing out that this is not true of Nigeria. You would have to do a study on a culture that has not been colonized or exposed to media. I have read studies done on a indigenous tribe of people who were never exposed to media and what was considered beautiful to them was VERY different from much of what we see on TV. They were more likely to favor facial features and a body type that is not considered ideal in the US. Media is much more than commercials and even commercials are much more than meets the eye. Psychology is heavily involved in how things are marketed. There is a reason why people crave foods after seeing them on a commercial . But anyway I would appreciate hearing more of your perspective. Perhaps you can enlighten us on views regarding hair in Nigeria. I can only comfortably speak as a Black woman living in America; my experience and research is limited to this. Do you believe that colonization had an impact on the beauty image that is considered acceptable in Nigeria? I don't expect you to speak for every Nigerian just as I can't speak for every Black woman but I am curious.

I personally cannot speak for every Nigerian woman of course...but from what I have researched and learned from my parents there was not a very significant impact on beauty image in Nigeria after colonization. The biggest influence that the British had on Nigerian civilians were to enclose a group of very diverse cultures and tribes into one country, divide them based on those cultural differences and then conquer. Once Nigeria gained their independence in 1960 there were still ethnic distrusts that caused political disputes. This untimately led to the civil war in Nigeria which resulted in over a million deaths to people of my tribe (igbo) and thousands among the other tribes there. I feel they were too busy fighting for their lives, starving to death and being slain to have had the chance to be influenced by TV commercials for straight flowing hair. That is just my opinion of my country and my culture. I cannot speak that way for every country in Africa but this is what I know.

ETA: As far as hair goes there are women who are relaxed and wear weaves of course but based on the areas that I have visited most women wear their hair naturally in braids or twists with or without extensions. That is the norm.

Last edited:
I think people take the whole straight hair versus natural hair thing too far. Its hair people. I dont relax because of some deep seeded hate for myself. I relax because my face doesnt look good with short hair. If I didnt have as much shrinkage as a natural head I wouldnt have relaxed. Its just style preference. I actually dont prefer straight hair over curly or natural hair. I just dont look good with short hair. Period....

Do some people do it for other reasons. Sure...But does that mean the majority do????? That type of thinking in my opinion is so judgemental. If society doesnt put people in a box enough we do it to ourselves.

How long is long?

"Long hair" is a relitive term as is "a lot of money".

Most of the Balck and Black looking women I know have unstretched unrelaxed hair to their shoulders, APL, BSL, and waist.

Talking about busting myths.:lachen:

Personally, I used to prefer straight hair, as that is what I was used to, since my mother acted as if my natural hair was unkempt looking and too hard to manage. However, as I started stretching my relaxers (time between touch-ups), I realized that I preferred the look and feel of my NG much better than the thin, straight, relaxed hair. I have always loved big, natural, kinky hair on other women, but thought I couldn't attain that for myself. That is when I transitioned for the 1st time.

It's all about a person's preference and state of mind. I won't even entertain the thought that every Black woman or person who wears their hair straight is brainwashed. Thats just a ludicrous and ignorant generalization. Some people really do have a deep issue with their natural hair (some women in my fam are in that group). Some just wear straight hair for the manageability. I had to give up chemicals in order to get to my long, thick, natural hair goals. A relaxer wasn't going to allow me (in particular) to get to WL and beyond. The longer it got while relaxed, the thinner it got, no matter how much I trimmed. So, for me, I have learned to embrace my kinky, wavy hair, but it took time to mentally "transition" and to do so with the hair. Once you're used to wearing and maintaining straight hair for 20+ years, it takes time to get out of that mindset and routine.

This would be the part of the "brainwashing" others spoke of.

I think a lot of people want what they aren't born with. Be it their hair, skin, breasts, whatever. Some just accept what they have and go on with their lives.

I'd like to congratulate myself for getting through 26 pages of the most redundant argument that keeps popping up. Now I can make my post without repeating anything.

Yes, there is a slave mentality. But it is not worth arguing about. Natural hair, is just natural hair. It's a preference. Yes it grows out of our bodies, as does arm pit hair and mustache hair. Both of which we dispose of because society tells us that it is not attractive. We also wear dresses, because we're girls. We give ourselves facials and cry about zits. We go on diets and hit the gym. We wear make up and jewelry. All these are things that are demanded in modern times. We don't have to do them, but we do them to be accepted and attract mates. About 90% of what single women between ages 14-99 do with their appearance is to make themselves more attractive to the opposite sex (or same sex at times ;)) So while yes, there is an history of black hair in regards to slavery, nowadays it has more to do with accepted societal norms and pleasing males.

One sad fact that hasn't been brought up is that natural 4b hair is masculine. Black males wear nearly all "natural" styles. Twists, dreds, pony puffs, braids, and fros are all common with black males. Some women can pull off a masculine hair style by being very girly, pairing it with the right clothes and accessories, and of course having very feminine features. But if you don't have those features, or are a tom boy like me, then you'll be less attractive to the opposite sex. And even if you do have them all, to a lot of black men you'll still be less attractive than someone who straightened. This is the main and saddest reason that women straighten their hair. It's not because they don't want to be different than white society, which we do everyday with our music, clothes, and styles. But we cling to what our men find attractive. If black women didn't give a d@mn about men, I assure you natural would be choice. For no other reasons than to save a crap load of money and not have to scream like a banshee when it starts to rain.

I'd like to congratulate myself for getting through 26 pages of the most redundant argument that keeps popping up. Now I can make my post without repeating anything.

Yes, there is a slave mentality. But it is not worth arguing about. Natural hair, is just natural hair. It's a preference. Yes it grows out of our bodies, as does arm pit hair and mustache hair. Both of which we dispose of because society tells us that it is not attractive. We also wear dresses, because we're girls. We give ourselves facials and cry about zits. We go on diets and hit the gym. We wear make up and jewelry. All these are things that are demanded in modern times. We don't have to do them, but we do them to be accepted and attract mates. About 90% of what single women between ages 14-99 do with their appearance is to make themselves more attractive to the opposite sex (or same sex at times ;)) So while yes, there is an history of black hair in regards to slavery, nowadays it has more to do with accepted societal norms and pleasing males.

One sad fact that hasn't been brought up is that natural 4b hair is masculine. Black males wear nearly all "natural" styles. Twists, dreds, pony puffs, braids, and fros are all common with black males. Some women can pull off a masculine hair style by being very girly, pairing it with the right clothes and accessories, and of course having very feminine features. But if you don't have those features, or are a tom boy like me, then you'll be less attractive to the opposite sex. And even if you do have them all, to a lot of black men you'll still be less attractive than someone who straightened. This is the main and saddest reason that women straighten their hair. It's not because they don't want to be different than white society, which we do everyday with our music, clothes, and styles. But we cling to what our men find attractive. If black women didn't give a d@mn about men, I assure you natural would be choice. For no other reasons than to save a crap load of money and not have to scream like a banshee when it starts to rain.

males and hell society you can say. i had an ex bf's mother refer to her hair as ni**erish, and she wouldn't wear it out. my eyes got big as hell. but trying to convince her otherwise would have me like :wallbash:

males and hell society you can say. i had an ex bf's mother refer to her hair as ni**erish, and she wouldn't wear it out. my eyes got big as hell. but trying to convince her otherwise would have me like :wallbash:

A very good friend of mine refers to her hair as "slave hair" :rolleyes:
You can't pay her to take down her braids.

Sorry. But it's true. If 4 hair isn't stretched in some way, it looks no different that a man's hair. No different than a masculine hair cut on a woman really. A BW hair texture has always been looser than a man's. In the same token, men don't wear their hair straight because it's a women's style. Somehow a woman must add to her femininity or be mistaken for a man again and again. This happened to me and several other less girly women when we go natural. Because we're not girly men either mistake us for men or lesbians. Don't ask me why...

I apologize if this has been asked already..I have not read this whole thread.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the thoughts and beliefs that black women relax their hair because of years of oppression and colonization. Ideally, that makes a lot of sense knowing what Black people endured during those times and how it has continued to trickle down through the generations. However, I have to ask..what about "blacks" whose ancestors were not slaves..meaning Africans? Why do people who are direct immigrants from Africa or who are second generation immigrants (like myself) relax their hair? Would I have any reason to hate myself or have a liking for "the norm" or "what is culturally accepted"? My mother relaxed her hair for years (but has since stopped) my grandmothers and aunts on both sides who were all born and bred in Nigeria relaxed as well. So what is the reasoning behind that? One could say that I now relax my hair because I was raised here and have been exposed to those ideals presented through the media..okay fine. But what about MY ancestors who were not tormented, abused or brainwashed? & who were only exposed to people who looked just like them..with skin, kinks, curls, hips and lips just the same?
Middle to upper class Africans may emulate American grooming standards to distinguish themselves from the lower classes. That may not be your case though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back