Do you believe everyone that claims they are "natural"?

what is considered natural hair to you?

• hair that is not chemically altered to become straight

Votes: 185 94.9%
  • hair that has: chem color, perm, texturizer anything besides shampoo/condi

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • hair that: is shampooed with chemicals I wash my hair with water only!

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

longhairlover

I know that there are a lot of natural women out there (doesn't have to be on lhcf just in general), honestly I don't have to perm but I honestly mostly in the summer like my hair really straight.

I am just noticing that everyone on tv and other places claim to be natural, i don't really believe some of the folks that are claiming to be natural. Why do some front?

what do you ladies think?

Last edited:
I know that many consider natural as different things. For me, I don't consider pressing to be natural because you are causing a chemical alteration in the way your hair pattern is, even if it is temporary.

They may be natural since you never see most of their hair anyway. It's usually under wigs, weaves and what not. I guess they mean their real hair is natural. LOL.

LOL Makes you just wanna throw some water on their hair doesn't it? :lachen:

But seriously, I dont know why people would lie. Maybe they think as natural as being their real hair. And ofcourse you have the folks giving people "silkeners" and not telling them its a chemical. And lets not get started on the naturalaxers.

I knew a girl who claimed she was au natural. But something didn't seem right. When I was at her house I found a Mizani perm in the refridgerator. :blush:

No. Especially after coming to this board and learning about Naturals.

I don't think "trained" (heat damaged) hair should be considered truly Natural. I don't like when folks gloat about thier trained hair. Your hair didnt grow out of your head straight so why are you still claiming natural?

It gets controversial. Some folks feel coloring your hair isnt natural, some say heat-training your hair isn't natural, some folks consider their texlaxed hair "partly" natural..

All i can do is look at their hair and wonder..

It is controversial. I mean think about it. There are plenty of things that can alter your texture besides a chemical. So if someone is taking MSM and it affects their texture does it make them not natural anymore? I mean, technically they are still natural. If heat stretched out your curl pattern are you not still natural. You can't say you are relaxed. Its a never-ending debate. I would just hope that if I asked someone about their hair they would be honest and not have people thinking I could do similar things with my hair when they have altered theirs someway.

But seriously, I dont know why people would lie. Maybe they think as natural as being their real hair. And ofcourse you have the folks giving people "silkeners" and not telling them its a chemical. And lets not get started on the naturalaxers.

I knew a girl who claimed she was au natural. But something didn't seem right. When I was at her house I found a Mizani perm in the refridgerator. :blush:

I don't know why they would lie either, but they do.

I remember meeting this girl several months ago with a fierce twistout. The ends were very smooth and she claimed she did it on wet/damp hair.

Man, I went out and purchased the products she said used and tried her technique and my hair came out looking nowhere near like hers. I came to the conclusion that she was either texturized or relaxed and lied about being natural.

I was pissed. It's the fact that I went and bought products that does NOTHING for natural hair that really gets to me.

Me Personally, I do believe most people claim to be natural really aren't, If I never said I was Texlaxed folks would think I was Natural, but I am not, when I am natural I say it, and when I am back on Chemically Altered hair I say it LOL!!! People have a different views of what "Natural " Is. And some folks will say, why would they lie about their hair, Because they can.

Do I believe everyone who says that they are Natural? :look: Honestly, I don't really care if you are natural or not, or lying about it or not. :lachen:

I think it's amusing, when it comes down to it, that you are so insecure about the choices you made that you have to lie about it, but that's just me talking.

For me, when someone uses the term "natural", I automatically think "relaxer-free". So for the most part, yes, I do believe people when they tell me they are natural.

Now, there are people that will debate whether I am natural or not, for instance, because I press my hair sometimes...plus I rinsed it 2 years ago. And I won't argue with their definitions because I actually agree...it's just that I call myself a "natural" because I'm not relaxed....but there isn't a term for those that are not relaxed but still use chemicals, ya know? :spinning:

I agree with the other poster that said its complicated...

ETA: Sometimes I do wonder what everyone's definition of "natural" is...but then the thought passes cuz I guess it doesn't really mean much to me...

Last edited:
I do believe it when people say they are natural, I mean, why lie about something like that? If I found out later that they were relaxed or texlaxed I would actually feel sorry for them. If you lie about a fudamental issue like that....??
I would feel pity for sure.

I don't think "trained" (heat damaged) hair should be considered truly Natural. I don't like when folks gloat about thier trained hair. Your hair didnt grow out of your head straight so why are you still claiming natural?

It gets controversial. Some folks feel coloring your hair isnt natural, some say heat-training your hair isn't natural, some folks consider their texlaxed hair "partly" natural..

. . . Color free, heat free, loc' free, chemical free . . .

Don't forget comb-free. I've seen folks go at it about combing too. :look:

I don't even see why it really matters to differentiate degree of naturality-- but hey... I guess it works for some. :ohwell:

I know that there are a lot of natural women out there, honestly I don't have to perm but I honestly mostly in the summer like my hair really straight.

I am just noticing that everyone on tv and other places claim to be natural, i don't really believe some of the folks that are claiming to be natural. Why do some front?

I'm definitely not claiming natural (because I'm still transitioning). :lol:

For me, when someone uses the term "natural", I automatically think "relaxer-free". So for the most part, yes, I do believe people when they tell me they are natural.

Now, there are people that will debate whether I am natural or not, for instance, because I press my hair sometimes...plus I rinsed it 2 years ago. And I won't argue with their definitions because I actually agree...it's just that I call myself a "natural" because I'm not relaxed....but there isn't a term for those that are not relaxed but still use chemicals, ya know? :spinning:

I agree with the other poster that said its complicated...

ETA: Sometimes I do wonder what everyone's definition of "natural" is...but then the thought passes cuz I guess it doesn't really mean much to me...

I totally agree. If someone is relaxer free to, me that means natural. So if someone says they are natural I believe it to be no relaxer. I just love your hair ZZirvingj! You are one of my natural inspirations!

I do believe it when people say they are natural, I mean, why lie about something like that? If I found out later that they were relaxed or texlaxed I would actually feel sorry for them. If you lie about a fudamental issue like that....??

My feelings exactly. Until this post, it has never entered my mind to think someone was lying about being natural. I can't see the point. When I hear "natural" I think no relaxer...who would care enough to lie about rather they use a relaxer or not?????:ohwell:

I know that there are a lot of natural women out there, honestly I don't have to perm but I honestly mostly in the summer like my hair really straight.

I don't know if I believe everybody on TV who claims they're natural. I am on the other side of the fence, where I really am natural (no chems/dyes/little heat), but people sometimes don't believe me because my hair gets smooth w/a rollerset in addition to five different textures, so I can understand how it feels to essentially be called a liar. I generally believe when I see people who tell me they're natural because....well, why lie about something so insignificant?

I don't have anything to prove to anybody and neither does anyone who chooses to call their hair whatever they like

Trust me alot of people will Lie, just like some lie about a Weave, trying to say it is all their hair, But I really don't care, if they want to lie then go ahead. It just make them look foolish in the end.

:huh: I've never understood this. Texlaxed hair is chemically treated. Period. Sometimes you'll see percentages given like __% texlaxed. What? How do you know the exact percentage? That's like saying you're 75% employed or married...either ya is or ya ain't :lachen:.

OKAY! Once that chemical touch it, It is all over with, I never understood the Percentage thing either, Maybe because they are Transitioning? I don't know LOL!!!

ITA! .

hilarious..when i first started dating my hubby he thought i just had naturally straight hair. I kept the lie up until we started living together lol!!!1 the jig was up, but he didn't care.

LOL!!! Longhairlover, Couldn't hide it no more Huh? I had a friend that was like that, she was lying to her Man and tried to get up early one morning to do her with her Weave and he Caught her, He told her "She look like a Man" and she was Bald headed, she never let him touch her hair, It was there first night together, she said she tied her hair up.

Craziness I tell ya!

you can be natural and blow dry your hair straight or a hot press, i don't think that a person that does this should not be considered natural. there are no chemicals to straighten their hair so they are natural.

I don't care either but I have caught people in the lie or at the salon getting a perm lol!!!!!

i couldn't deal with my thck tight curls as an adult i'm happy my mom permed my hair, she couldn't manage with my hair anymore even being a hair stylist, said it just took too much time and lusters,

she said when she would put the lusters in my hair it would suck it up lol!!!

your right professionally your hair is natural if there is no perm, combing and stuff shouldn't have anything to do with it, i think that is just drastic to consider combing not natural lol!!!

that's crazy.

I totally agree. If someone is relaxer free to, me that means natural. So if someone says they are natural I believe it to be no relaxer. I just love your hair ZZirvingj! You are one of my natural inspirations!

I mean i wasn't really lying.....he never asked i never mentioned :lachen:, but when we moved in together he saw me with relaxer and was looking at me weird, and i was like yeah uh.......i perm my hair so what! i have too much hair to deal with! he just turned and walked away looking at me like i was nuts, lmao :lachen:

that is funny with your friend, if you have a weave and your dating maybe that's when you pull the pony tail one out lol!!! that guy had the nerve though, then they pretend they didn't know it was a weave in the first place silly men.

LOL!!! Longhairlover, Couldn't hide it no more Huh? I had a friend that was like that, she was lying to her Man and tried to get up early one morning to do her with her Weave and he Caught her, He told her "She look like a Man" and she was Bald headed, she never let him touch her hair, It was there first night together, she said she tied her hair up.

Craziness I tell ya!

Thanks! You are too sweet :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Sure I believe people. Or rather, I just don't give it much thought because I don't care. It's the other person's hair and the other person's business. It just doesn't make a difference to me one way or another.

Back