Buying And Selling On Craigslist - Safety And Chivalry

naturalmanenyc

We picked up a new coffee maker (I broke ours) and the guy who sold it had his girlfriend standing outside in the cold to hand it over to DH. I was texting with him but didn't confirm my gender despite him writing "man" a few times. He was running late but sent a text when he arrived tonight. We pulled up and DH went to ring the bell. A young White woman was waiting, outside in the cold on a dark street, and noticed which bell DH hit and handed over the box. She said "he told me to bring it down" since they seemed to live in a walk up building. There is a convenience store on the corner and a doorman building on the same block. I would have exchanged at one of those places if I had to meet a stranger.

It's the second time we bought something from craigslist and the woman, not her husband/boyfriend who was at home, came out to handle the transaction. This was a White couple and the last couple was Asian. The Asian guy showed his face to take the cash (didn't count it) but his wife packed up everything and put it on a dolley. It was heavy stuff too.

DH would never be okay with me meeting a stranger outside or having strangers in the house without standing beside me. When we sold a piece of exercise equipment on Craigslist, DH would only allow potential buyers to visit when he was home. DH would never stand there and watch me pack up heavy items.

Maybe I'm just weird but I think it's an issue of safety as well as chivalry. DH says men don't do crap at home if they have Asian wives based on what his friends claim. One wife was putting together furniture (crib) while DH visited and his guy friend said keep quiet since he didn't want his wife asking him to do it.

These women are not my friends so I felt no need to comment. It's just strange behavior to me.

We picked up a new coffee maker (I broke ours) and the guy who sold it had his girlfriend standing outside in the cold to hand it over to DH. I was texting with him but didn't confirm my gender despite him writing "man" a few times. He was running late but sent a text when he arrived tonight. We pulled up and DH went to ring the bell. A young White woman was waiting, outside in the cold on a dark street, and noticed which bell DH hit and handed over the box. She said "he told me to bring it down" since they seemed to live in a walk up building. There is a convenience store on the corner and a doorman building on the same block. I would have exchanged at one of those places if I had to meet a stranger.

It's the second time we bought something from craigslist and the woman, not her husband/boyfriend who was at home, came out to handle the transaction. This was a White couple and the last couple was Asian. The Asian guy showed his face to take the cash (didn't count it) but his wife packed up everything and put it on a dolley. It was heavy stuff too.

DH would never be okay with me meeting a stranger outside or having strangers in the house without standing beside me. When we sold a piece of exercise equipment on Craigslist, DH would only allow potential buyers to visit when he was home. DH would never stand there and watch me pack up heavy items.

Maybe I'm just weird but I think it's an issue of safety as well as chivalry. DH says men don't do crap at home if they have Asian wives based on what his friends claim. One wife was putting together furniture (crib) while DH visited and his guy friend said keep quiet since he didn't want his wife asking him to do it.

These women are not my friends so I felt no need to comment. It's just strange behavior to me.

I agree with you. When I was selling on Craigslist my SO hooked it up to his Google Voice and email so my information wouldn't be out there. Also, when I was taking pictures of mirrors or furniture he'd remind me to stay out of the mirror or reflective surface so no one would know a woman (especially a black woman) was involved in the sale. There is no way in heck I would've sold on Craigslist alone, and no way he would've let me.

I'm actually the more shrewd business person and he let people barter more than I would have, but I appreciated him trying to keep me safe. He just had to buy me a few meals to make up for the money he let get away :lol:

Back