Before finding LHCF how long was your stretch?

How long was your stretch between relaxers pre-lhcf?

• 4 weeks

Votes: 56 18.2%
  • 5 weeks

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • 6 weeks

Votes: 86 28.0%
  • 7-9 weeks

Votes: 54 17.6%
  • 10-12 weeks

Votes: 28 9.1%
  • 12+ weeks

Votes: 52 16.9%

• Total voters
Stretching was not even in my vocabulary. I used to relax every 4-5 wks and I went to my stylist every week for over 10 yrs. When I told her that I would not be relaxing that often anymore she told me that my hair would come out from shedding. I was 2 inches passed my shoulders and now I am at bsl. I guess she was missing the money. Then after she saw how long my hair was getting she tried to stretch.:lol:

A trifling a** 4 weeks....and silly me couldn't figure out why my hair would completely break off after my 2nd relaxer cycle.

For almost a year I was getting my retouches every 6 weeks. After joining LHCF and reading various tips, I am considering going back to 8 weeks. My last relaxer retouch was early April so I'm holding out till early June for my next one. If it's bearable, I might try to extend it another 2 weeks in June making it a total of 10 weeks in between. If that's successful, the next time I'll add 2 more weeks: 12 weeks. But that will be longest I will try to stress, IF that works out. I will try it and see what happens. If I experience too much breakage, between 8 to 12 weeks then I will know that the longest I can last is about 8 weeks.

Last edited:
I did not know the meaning of the workd stretch. But I use to go about 4-5 weeks until I had to perm again. Now I can go 5 months....:) But I try to touch up at 4 months. Boy I came along way.

I haven't read any of the posts.

I didn't know what a "stretch" was before LHCF. I was dependent on crazy stylists and would get a relaxer retouch whenever they told me I needed one. It wasn't until after a few years of going through this, when I realized that my hair was at the same length after about a year when, if getting regular relaxers should mean that my hair was growing (if I had to get relaxers because my hair was growing, why was it not getting any longer?)...

I was just frustrated. Looked at my computer and decided I could use it to find some answers. And my eyes have been opened to the possibilities of length and health thanks to LHCF.

Sorry to ramble...I seem to be in a mood today...

I never heard of stretching relaxers before LHCF. Now that I think of it all my relaxed girls with the longest hair were always the ones who relaxed like 4 times a year, never thought of the correlation.

:bump::bump:for any :update:s on new stretchers. I am still trying to master this stretching stuff, i am 5 weeks post and going for 9 weeks. This 4b hair is not playin wit me:nono:, i think i am gonna try this famous scarf method from sylver2.

Before LHCF my normal stretch was 4-5 weeks (I voted 4) but my longest was 6 months which I did for no apparent reason with no apparent benefits.:ohwell: Now I try to go about 12 weeks with lots of benefits.:yep:

My stretches could be anywhere from 3 months to 6 months. It was never a rule just when my NG got out of control enough to relax and that was hardly ever. My stylist would retouch when she was ready. There was one year were I only had 2 relaxers. I knew nothing about stretching for health and thickness. Needless to say I had some seriously thick looking hair.

Knowing what I know now I would probably stretch 3 months. It is the perfect amount of time.

Stretch? What's that? I used to relax every 4 weeks, MAYBE 5 if I was broke and had to wait till the next paycheck. Now I stretch for 12 weeks and my hair is soooo much healthier and fuller.

6 weeks tops.
I am now up to week 14.

My hair is extremely coarse. One hair dresser told me I should not go more than 4 weeks.
Another told me it needed to marinade. . . it marinated all right; got real tender and it all fell right off the bone. . .oops I mean my head. Thank God I can laugh at that now. I was heartbroken when it happened, but I made my mind up that would be the last time I was traumatized by a hairdresser.

I permed my hair every 5 weeks root to tip :eek: :eek: and had the nerve to wonder why my hair looked so thin and lifeless. :wallbash:

I used to relax every 6 weeks. Sometimes, I held out for 8 weeks, out of laziness. Now, I won't relax before 12 weeks. I would like to get to 16 weeks, but my hair starts looking too puffy by week 12.

I would go 6 weeks, 7 if my stylist was out of town, and let me tell you, that extra week was hell in my mind. Since LHCF i have had one 12 week stretch and am 3 weeks into my next. This is going to be my usual unless she is out of town- then I'll go 13. Yea me!!

I would usually relax every 6 weeks......the only time i would stretch longer than 6 was if i had braids/weave in. Now i go 12 weeks and have recieved great results since.

when i was getting relaxers, two or three or four months would go by between relaxers. my mom is white & never really noticed when i needed one & neither did i (i was obviously not a hair person). it was only when i would see a hair stylist regularly that I would have a relaxer every 8-10 weeks.

every 3 months. My stylist hated doing my hair because she wanted to work fast and get the relaxer thru my thick new growth. She would always tell me not to wait so long between relaxers, but when she was finished she always told me that I made the right decision because my hair was so thick and strong.

Before finding hair sites I use to have my hair relaxed via beauticians every 6/8 weeks.. Now I self relax every 16 weeks and how what a difference. Thicker, healtier hair.:yep:

After my natural stint, when I got my relaxer, I always waited 12 weeks and my stylist would tell me not to wait so long, I knew better. :yep: He always wanted to chop it all off too, saying I needed a trim, and he'd give me a cut. :nono: Anyways this time is my longest relaxer stretch, I'm going for 20 weeks!

Unfortunately, I hate to Admit, Being a Weekly Salon Visitor it was every 4-6 Weeks. And 6 was a "stretch":lachen: (I can't believe I put my poor hair through that torture).:rolleyes:

Now that I am a Proud LHCF Member and Know Better.....it is now every 12-16 weeks. Would eventually like to take it to 18-20.:look:

Keeping it Well Conditioned.

Back