Before finding LHCF how long was your stretch?

How long was your stretch between relaxers pre-lhcf?

• 4 weeks

Votes: 56 18.2%
  • 5 weeks

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • 6 weeks

Votes: 86 28.0%
  • 7-9 weeks

Votes: 54 17.6%
  • 10-12 weeks

Votes: 28 9.1%
  • 12+ weeks

Votes: 52 16.9%

• Total voters
Stretch??? What did I even know about Stretch!! I just had to relax every four weeks..no wonder my hair was falling out all over the place. Thank God for this board..Love you ladies!

VWVixxen said:
S-t-r-e-t-c-h??? What was that? :lol:

I used to go 6 weeks between retouches, now it's anywhere between 8-12, depends on the condition of my hair (moisture/protein balance).
:lol: Exactly. Before LHCF, I wasnt stretching a damn thang:lol:

I would go about 6 weeks, or sometimes closer to 5 weeks if i felt like my hair really "needed" it. And I used a regular relaxer (today i use mild). I cringe when i think about those days. My hair was HELLA damaged and over-processed.

I would go anywhere from 9-12 wks stretching, but not knowing it was called 'stretching' or that it was even beneficial to my hair. In fact, ppl would yell at me for doing it, but I was using heat like crazy (dominicans & curling irons once a month) and not washing my hair as often so I never felt the need to relax. My roots were always straight and I never had to deal with the newgrowth.

I would get a relaxer every four weeks before LHCF. I would also do it myself and just slap the relaxer on my hair. It was awful and I didn't know what I was doing! Now I stretch for 10-12 weeks and have a professional do it for me. My hair has thanked me for the TLC!!

I'd say I was 6-7 weeks on a regular pre-LHCF.

When I joined LHCF I tried a transition that ended up being a 7-8 month strech. Found out long stretches arent for me since my thickness suffers due to excess shedding and breaking during the strech.

Now I touch up my relaxers ever 9-12 weeks pretty much.

I would always do 8 weeks, but my old stylist had me stretching and I didn't even know it! She would tell me (when I came back to her at 8 weeks) that I could afford to go 2 more weeks and would refuse to do it:mad: but I am glad because of it.

BB

Well I used to be a stretcher and didn't know it either. As a kid I just couldn't afford a stylist so I'd ask my mom to give me a relaxer when people at school talked about my hair so much that I didn't want to go to school.

I guess as I got older and started going to a stylist maybe 3 times a year. I would have gone more but I got tired of them talking bad about my hair.

I just give up now :lol:

Before LHCF I would relax every 3 months exactly. I was always told to wait this long so that's what I did. Never knew the term was "stretching" though.

anky said:
Well I used to be a stretcher and didn't know it either. As a kid I just couldn't afford a stylist so I'd ask my mom to give me a relaxer when people at school talked about my hair so much that I didn't want to go to school.

I guess as I got older and started going to a stylist maybe 3 times a year. I would have gone more but I got tired of them talking bad about my hair.

I just give up now :lol:

Hon, your story made me so sad. We had a girl in my school who did not have a relaxer, her mother just platted her hair (but not in any style) and she got tortured.

Actually I was doing 12+ weeks cause I don't really like going to the salon and to save money. I would frequently go 12 weeks.

Chayil

I'm amazed at the number of ladies who got touch ups every 4-6 weeks. What a burden on the budget. I estimated once and I must have had about 60-70 relaxers total. How many do you (everyone) reckon you've had over the course of your lifetime?

TemiLnd said:
I’ve always stretched even before I found any forums. I have however decided to kick my 4 month stretch to 5 and then to 6. Hopefully ill be able to maintain my hair with only having a relaxer twice a year. At most I don’t plan on exceeded 3 times a year. [fingers crossed]

I only started my 5 month stretch in December so I am yet to know if my hair quality has improved or stayed the same.

What she said :yep: ....Before I found the forum going 12+ weeks was the norm (I always hated going to the salon).
I stretch 20+ weeks comfortably now, especially since I have the knowledge to care for it.

Last edited:
Prior to joining LHCF I could only stretch for 6 weeks. I actually found this forum while in the process of stretching. I read the threads/posts on how to extend stretches and followed it exactly. Now, I'm in my 10 week stretch. Thanks ladies you're lovely!:clap:

I use to stretch for 3 months. The stretching time got longer because I wore braids or a sew-in. The longest I have stretched stretched was about 8 months or a little longer. My last stretch was 4 months. I'm currenty on a 6 month stretch.:cool:

I was between 4 to 6 weeks. My hair was extremely damaged so I stopped relaxing for awhile and grew it out w/ micros. Wish I would of found this place during the micro phase my hair would be in so much healthier and longer.

I had a standing relaxer appointment every 6 weeks, like clockwork. I'd have at most 1/2 inch of new growth, but that didn't mean a thing to me. I just thought I was "supposed" to get touch-ups every 6 weeks!:eek:

I found LHCF after I realized my hair was overprocessed. I've done two 12-week stretches since joining, and now I'm 9 weeks post. I'm going to try for at least 16 weeks this time. We'll see how it goes.:)

I was also stretching without realizing it. I would go anywhere from 8-10 weeks, depending on the stylist I was going to at the time. Now I stretch 6+ months at a time.

I had a stylist in the 80's that would relax me 8 wks. and a new stylist that said 6 wks but would relax me at 4 wks when I asked her. Because of my wave pattern, I always thought I was under processed.

This is a good topic...I used to go no longer than 6 weeks and then I HAD to relax...Now thanks to LHCF and S-curl I am currently in the last week of a 16 week stretch and although I have not relaxed yet...I can see the difference in my lenght...It is so dramatic...AND I am going to a LHCF member to have my hair done so I know I dont have to worry about a fine tooth comb:lol:

Thanks for all the knowledge yall:)

bablou00 said:
I was between 4 to 6 weeks. My hair was extremely damaged so I stopped relaxing for awhile and grew it out w/ micros. Wish I would of found this place during the micro phase my hair would be in so much healthier and longer.

O.T. Bablou those shoes are hot az hell!:D

I alway relaxed at 4 weeks.....I am so glad that I found you ladies. My hair was so such a hot mess and I didnt know why, since I felt like I was doing everything that I was supposed to be doing.

I have made it to 6 weeks and will be trying to add a week to each stretch. The only problems that I have with stretching is extreme shedding.

Last edited:
I never had a schedule, I'd just relax or go to the salon when I thought it was time. On average, this would be about every 8 or 9 weeks. Now, I might go a week or so longer, but it's pretty much the same.

I used to only go 6 weeks before LHCF only beacuse I didn't know any better. Old wives tells really hurt my hair. I now stretch at most, 12 weeks. My hair is thicker than it usually has been.

I used to be an every six weeks type of girl. A couple of times I would push it 8 or 9 weeks (due to extreme levels of brokosity in college) and I'd always have to deal with some breakage. I knew nothing of co-washing or moisturizing, bunning, or anything else at the time. By the time I found LHCF I'd been natural for about 2 years, so stretching is a non issue now.

InJesusName said:
6 weeks tops. If I got a "slight" ripple at the scalp, it was time to slap on the chemicals:eek: . No wonder my hair was fried, dyed and laid to the side.
It ALWAYS "looked" good, but I could never retain any length and it was oh so thin. Now my minimum stretch is 10 weeks. WOW! What a difference a little edu-ma-cation makes!

I used to be the same way, except I would barely make it past 4 weeks, 5 at the most. Last time I went for 7 weeks and I am trying for longer right now. Today is week 5, actually. I never knew how to manage the new growth before the board. I am ready this time. I think I have some good products that will help me go 8 weeks or longer.

Back