Assumptions Made Because You're Natural

Yep and people wanna assume that we like guys with dreads who favor dwele lol I don't even like that kind of music. They also think we're all black power and love *earth tones*

:spinning: Lesbian if wearing a twa

:spinning: Must be new agey, vegan, flower-child type

:spinning: Must date white men, because black guys hate naps

:spinning: Must be "mixed" if hair is anything other than 4B

:spinning: Must be from another country (not US) because all AA women relax their hair

Word.

Honestly I'll take the assumptions made about me being natural any day of the week, okay so they assume I'm a woman that knows my worth knows my history, is cultured and has a higher consciousness than most....sounds good to me!

Better then the reactions I get when I press my hair....AYO SHAWTAY!!! Whats really good tho? Yo shorty wit the fat a** lemme holla at you for a second....YEA YOU!! Anything goes:nono:

I'll take the natural assumptions for $500 Alex.
interestingly enough, i still get this with my big, fluffy hair in a twistout/whatever...:look:

I get the most nonsense from my mother and her hair is so damaged from chemicals and no moisturize, it's practically a myth:lachen:

I feel ya girly... it was a rhetorical question.....

I am so tired of what god gave us as "different" or something "unusual":nono::nono:

You know this is a trip because a lovely young lady at work for the past 2 years have gone natural and her hair is beautiful thick and healthy her family and friends assume the same thing and now is at APL in braids and they are trying to give her hair advice and she they all have busted broken and weaved up hair and under those weaves is still busted broken hair and the edges are beating Michael Jackson at doing the moon walk I mean they really give Susan Taylor a run for her money and they are still saying

When you gonna get a perm

yeah right. Giving her much Grief that when you all grow your hair out then we can all get perms together. They were like naw you got that growing good hair we don't have that kind of hair. She was like you are my Identical TWIN SISTER FOOL We have the exact same DNA makeup

OTFLMBO :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Naw see you from Blackistan. You Blackistanian that he the name of the of the country the tribe is named L click hcf pronunced !hfc In Khosa the exclamation is the clicking sound :grin::grin::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Just saying

Gurl....make you up a name or betta yet lets go with

LOHACAFO... located deep in the backwoods of Africa or LONG HAIR CARE FORUM:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

- That I am mixed (with white, Ethiopian, West Indian, Dominican), and when I tell people I'm not.. they insist I am (hate it!!!) - Thats the ignorant folks who don't know black hair comes in ALL textures
- That we all like African Drumming and Dance
- That we would like kente cloth or other african type of clothing (lol even though I do have a few from my SO's dad)
-That we like Spoken Word ( I dont like spoken word at all!)
- My male bf said "Aren't you all going natural to be pro black/militant?" -- Not me. I do it for versatility
- Afrocentric

Also, I so agree with BlackMasterPiece, I don't get approached by the same type of guys and the way they approach me is more respectable which Im cool with. Im no longer "Ay Redbone"

-That I'm wearing my hair to fun and trendy. I might wear clothes and accessories for trendiness, but not my hair.
-That I eat tofu and braid my armpit hair
-That I read nothing but urban books and listen to jazz
-That I am trying to recruit everyone into going natural. Unless someone expresses interest, I don't say a word about natural hair to anyone.

like a lot of the other ladies said:

- that i'm mixed, though mostly from kids (yeah with black and blacker)
- that i'm anti-straight hair
- that i think ppl with straight hair are wannabes (yes, from school daze)

People think I'm crazy because of my multiple BCs. One person had the nerve to call me lazy with my hair. That person has a 24/7 phony pony that can't even catch her edges.:rolleyes: I just want to grow long natural hair. It's not that deep.:rolleyes::lachen:

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]Also, I so agree with BlackMasterPiece, I don't get approached by the same type of guys and the way they approach me is more respectable which Im cool with. Im no longer "Ay Redbone"[/QUOTE]

I wonder what I'm doing wrong with this one. This is the one thing that doesn't really change. Straight hair or not, I still get hit on in the same way-lol.

Some of these are too funny; needed the laugh!

I only get a few.

-What did you put in your hair to make it do like that? (curl)....My 1st cousin that I grew up with asked me this and when I told her I left a little conditioner in it, she argued me down that I had some kind of "curly kit"!!

-"What are you mixed with? I know it's something; you don't have to be shame to tell me". .......I get this one from my co-workers all the time. The white ones don't ask this question, but they just take it upon themselves to molest my hair and say how soft it is. I asked one of them once "Why are you surprised; is it supposed to be hard or something"?

-"Girl I wish I could go natural. What had happened and the reason I can't is blah, blah, blah, blah........"...............This is usually an unprovoked conversation; it just comes out of nowhere and I am usually standing there going, "ummm, o.k???":perplexed

BB

These are the assumptions/statements people made when I was newly natural. People now just accept it as part of me.

That it's a fad and I will relax
That I am growing out my hair so that I can relax
That I went natural to have dreads. They wanted to know what I was going to do to or with my hair. The only answer they could come up with was dreads.
That's what my former hairstylist asked me when she saw me about 3 years after I stopped going to her. She used to touch up my relaxer every 6 weeks. When I said "twistouts" she looked like :confused:.

people assume a ton of stuff about me....but most of it is true lol.

yes i love poetry and love performing
they assume im deep (i'd like to think i am)
they call me jill scot and assume i love badu and lauryn hill. (i do, and corrine bailey rae is always on repeat)
they assume i play the guitar (i dont play but i own one and want to take lessons)
one guy was afraid to tell me he married a white woman (dude i dont care).

these things dont bother me much, you know why? because they assumed all this when i was relaxed. to me its all in the vibe you give off. ive had people calling me deep since i can remember. ive always loved jill scott and the rest. i think jill is beautiful.

but sometimes when they do get on my nerves i pump my fists in the air and yell "the revolution will not be televised". lmao. they know im crazy.

That I'm very afrocentric. Which actually was a positive thing, because I stopped getting called an "oreo" or being told I act white. It was amazing the effect kinky hair and locs can do. Guys were more respectful and I felt like my opinion mattered more. Especially with locs and at work. I know a lot of people have been given grief over wearing natural hair at work, but it really worked for me. People were angry and disappointed at me for cutting my locs and relaxing me for awhile. :laugh:

I must be the only person on this board who doesn't get any remarks or comments about my hair other than "I like your hair" or "Your hair looks soft".

Never had I encounter any dumb remarks, assumptions, or was told I don't look professional etc.. I suppose it's my stank face that keep people away...:giggle:

People assume I am mixed.
They assume my hair is hard until they touch it and say omg it's so soft!
Black people's hair is only curly if they are mixed....my hair is curly because my mom is half white.

I'm not natural, but I got a good laugh from this post! One of my friends who is natural says these things all the time. The "Rasta-Far-I" dudes LOVE her!!

I wonder what I'm doing wrong with this one. This is the one thing that doesn't really change. Straight hair or not, I still get hit on in the same way-lol.

if you're doing something wrong, then so am I.
because i still get the "ay shawty, can i talk to you?" and it's NOT the way i dress (no apple bottoms/baby phat for me) or my body (petite, no big booty present).
so i don't know...and i don't mind.:look:
sometimes those types are less annoying to me than the "my african sistah, i'm proud to see you representing our black heritage for the good of our generation" types :look:

Last edited:
Back