Assumptions Made Because You're Natural

in twists- I must be a sweet christian girl, usually assume pentecostal or seven days

i'm low maintenance-

I don't wear makeup.. or puzzled because I do..

I can't afford a relaxer or I have a skin problem

That I'm getting dreads.

That I'm a Lesbian

That I like Jazz music

That I'm not American

That I use a hot comb to straighten my hair

That I'm a Muslim

My cousin cannot understand why I would want to walk around with "nappy" hair. Natural hair is not nappy, and I cannot convince them otherwise.

Fortunately, I haven't really had too many people making assumptions to my face now that I'm natural. Now, what they say behind my back I do not know.....nor do I really care lol.....:look:

The curtains match the rug...if you get the gist.

:lachen: :lachen:

Omg! I will say this though.....I was in the car w/some friends of mine, and one of my friends actually THOUGHT that the natural hair on your head will be the same texture and "feel" as the hair "down there". LOL!! :lol: I busted out laughing and had to "school" her and tell her that NO WAY!! The curtains do NOT match the rug! lol! :lachen:

I told her that the natural hair on my head is soo much softer, and better textured than the hair "down there". Lol...you should have seen the shocked look on her face lol.

Now look....I guess that was enough impetus for her because now she's natural herself! :lachen:

Come to think of it, is this what people NORMALLY think when they see women w/natural hair?? :scratchch

:nono:

That you loves NAPS...some naturals are obsessed with get that “prefect curl pattern" by any means necessary!

Im to cheap to buy a relaxer
Im getting dreads
Im depressed
I just wanna be different

Lol. What in the world? Thats a shame!

One of the most common misconceptions I get is that I'm good at spoken word or I like to burn incense and things like that. You know a earthy hippy type. No diss to those types, but thats not me.

Come to think of it, is this what people NORMALLY think when they see women w/natural hair?? :scratchch

:nono:

I had a short afro in high school and most of university. I slept on a top bunk in my dorm and before going to bed, I used to lean on the locker next to my bunk and detangle my hair with one of those afro combs (handmade, it was my dad's). One day one girl sees me doing it and exclaims that she was so relieved because she had thought that I was snatching my pubic hair and leaving it on top of the locker!!:blush::perplexed

One day one girl sees me doing it and exclaims that she was so relieved because [highlight]she had thought that I was snatching my pubic hair and leaving it on top of the locker!![/highlight]

tumblr_m7vw669q1S1qlezp2.gif

I get mixed messages.

Free spirit vs. Aggressive, pro-black, pro-woman, power to the people
That I'm trying to be different vs. trying to jump on the natural hair bandwagon

MizzBrit said:
that i give off the jill scott/eryka badu vibe

when i wore my puff,this boy kept calln me Jamaican..i mean seriously what does a Jamaican look like? i have seen them of all colors and looks.

I am Jamaican , but I always wondered what do people think Jamaicans are? They come black just the same...Lolzyz...

I have gotten pretty much the same assumptions as mentioned. I get the "what are you gonna do with all that hair?" A lot. And I just say keep it braided just like it is or in my Afro. I get a lot the Tina turner rolling jokes...Lolzyz...and I'll normally join in with it and so the dance. Lolzyz...

Most times I'll just say, I love my natural multi textured hair and prefer it big...I hate weaves (in my own head, not judging). I prefer the men that approach me when my hairs braided or in my Afro. It's what I look like on a daily basis.

I had a short afro in high school and most of university. I slept on a top bunk in my dorm and before going to bed, I used to lean on the locker next to my bunk and detangle my hair with one of those afro combs (handmade, it was my dad's). One day one girl sees me doing it and exclaims that she was so relieved because she had thought that I was snatching my pubic hair and leaving it on top of the locker!!:blush::perplexed

Hrumph!!!! Our hair does not look like public hair!

People always assumed that I was planning to do something else with my hair, like loc it, and having loose natural hair was just an in-between stage.

"So what do you plan to do with it?"

umm...it's done. :look:

-That I've always had easy to manage hair. :nono:
-When my hair was shorter people would assume that I previously had really long hair and decided to cut it all off for a break. Then I would tell them that my hair had never grown past armpit length and they would look confused. :perplexed
-My family assumed it was because of Chris Rock's movie "Good Hair" that I cut my hair off and went natural. :lol:
-That I did finger coils because I was trying to start locks. :ohwell:
-That I use curl activator, even though I don't really know what that is. :look:
-That my hair was really short and I needed hair care advice, even when my hair was longer than their's because they didn't know about shrinkage. :spinning:

You just made me choke on my smoothie :lachen:

Why would someone think so and if so, say something... :nono:

:lachen::lachen::lachen: What in the world?! Why would she even take it there in her head?

Back