APL by Dec 2010!!!

Well... ladies I am out of this challenge. I cut my hair today!:grin: I just couldn't take my hair not growing right anymore. I started out with a trim and ended up with a cut (on purpose of course). The lady at Aveda did an amazing job. Hopefully it will grow better next time around. I will strive for Apl next year.

^^Congrats on your new cut. I'm fighting not to chop mine! HHG! It'll be back in no time and healthier.

^^This chick done BC'd :grin:, lovely curls and congrats:yep:. Im so excited and it's not even my hair :lachen:. Now I want to do it but I'm only 3 months post
:ohwell:

^^This chick done BC'd :grin:, lovely curls and congrats:yep:. Im so excited and it's not even my hair :lachen:. Now I want to do it but I'm only 3 months post:ohwell:

Hi, ladies!
I am going to have to say goodbye to you all as I just BC'ed!
Now I'm going for SL 2010. :)
HHG!

Holy crap davisbr88! Your BC was completely unexpected! Your curls are gorgeous! Congrats and good luck with SL!!!! :yep:

Ijanei, 3 months or 3 years, if you want to BC, do it (I know that's easy to say since I'm not thinking about transitioning/BC'ing, but it's true). If you don't like it, you ARE in the HYH challenge so it wouldn't be a huge ordeal. :look:

Well... ladies I am out of this challenge. I cut my hair today!:grin: I just couldn't take my hair not growing right anymore. I started out with a trim and ended up with a cut (on purpose of course). The lady at Aveda did an amazing job. Hopefully it will grow better next time around. I will strive for Apl next year.

Love the cut!! I'm thinking about cutting mine the same length....my hair just has no shape or style at the current length.

Here's a small update....
Photo+on+2010-08-04+at+16.00.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't posted in forever but I am still shooting for APL by Christmas. I straightened my hair myself last week and didn't do a good job. It looked like approaching APL but I cut off about 1.5 in. of scraggly ends. Hopefully I can keep my ends in check between now and Christmas and can make it back up by then.

Congrats on your BC davisbr! and I really like your cut prissy... kind of makes me want to cut mine to that length (but I can't... I'm too close to APL to justify it w/ myself!!)

Looks like everyone is doing well... I still have about 2" before I'll be ready to claim APL... I'm still very confident that I'll make it by December...

Holy crap davisbr88! Your BC was completely unexpected! Your curls are gorgeous! Congrats and good luck with SL!!!! :yep:

Ijanei, 3 months or 3 years, if you want to BC, do it (I know that's easy to say since I'm not thinking about transitioning/BC'ing, but it's true). If you don't like it, you ARE in the HYH challenge so it wouldn't be a huge ordeal. :look:

I think I'm withdrawing from the hyh challenge. I don't seem to do well with that. I can't be in a wig or weave or ponytail everyday:perplexed. I so wish I could though. I don't wear my hair down at all anymore and that's a big thing. I know just do updo styles.

And yess her curls are so cute. I am going to trim sometime in September because my hair is so uneven. I'm not sure if they will even out for December.

BTW, How are you doing Chasturner? any updates:grin:?

I think I'm withdrawing from the hyh challenge. I don't seem to do well with that. I can't be in a wig or weave or ponytail everyday:perplexed. I so wish I could though. I don't wear my hair down at all anymore and that's a big thing. I know just do updo styles.

And yess her curls are so cute. I am going to trim sometime in September because my hair is so uneven. I'm not sure if they will even out for December.

I'm doing well! Just counting down the days/hours until I get my relaxer Sat morn. I'm so nervous over the recent protein incident but whatever happens, happens. It was a learning experience: don't do a protein treatment while in plaits especially since my new growth isn't a fan strong protein. Silly me. :rolleyes: I will post progress pics at some point this weekend.

If you don't really wear your hair down and your hair isn't damaged, why don't you just wait until the end of the year/challenge to trim? I know my ends are tuuuurrible :ohwell: but I'm going to try to hold off on trimming, if my hair isn't badly damaged, and do a big trim in Dec. I don't care about my hair being uneven because I'll be back in crochet braids soon so no one will ever know.:giggle:

BTW, where the heck is Grow? She's been MIA for a while.

She most definitely has....Im sure she will come back with about an inch or so of new growth that quick. Better have pics bcuz I wanna see :grin:

cant wait to see urs Chast....I will make sure I am online this weekend:yep:

BTW, where the heck is Grow? She's been MIA for a while.

She most definitely has....Im sure she will come back with about an inch or so of new growth that quick. Better have pics bcuz I wanna see :grin:

cant wait to see urs Chast....I will make sure I am online this weekend:yep:

thank you Chas and Ijanei!:yep:

you ladies are really sweet darlings!

i've missed you all so much! this is my first day back and i feel like an out- of - towner, lol!

wasn't able to be on here, but i did take care of my hair.
cannot wait to see your perm pics, Chas!
i will be joining you shortly as i plan to perm next week if my hair is in good condition and let's hope there's some growth to report, too!!!:yep:

hhg ladies!!!
APL here we come!!!

I'm doing the bolded as well. This challeneg is not for me either. I am hiding my hair so I'll be doing a personal challenge on my own so good luck ladies.

I'm doing the bolded as well. This challeneg is not for me either. I am hiding my hair so I'll be doing a personal challenge on my own so good luck ladies.

i'm really sad to hear this, Aggie.
i wish you well on your personal challenge and hope to see you back soon!

I am sad to see some ladies drop out of the challenge.
Thank you for being with us and hope you can still cheer us on to the finish line.
HHG ladies.

^^I know:-( Im still in the challenge just to stay on track with my hair, but it's doubtful i'll make it this year with 41/2 months to go. Can't wait for the next update to see how far along everyone is!

^^I know:-( Im still in the challenge just to stay on track with my hair, but it's doubtful i'll make it this year with 41/2 months to go. Can't wait for the next update to see how far along everyone is!

Hang in there Salsa! 4.5mths is still a lot of time. Just be consistent with your practices. Do you take any vitamins?

Hang in there Salsa! 4.5mths is still a lot of time. Just be consistent with your practices. Do you take any vitamins?

I take a whole slew of vitamins: A multivitamin, GNC Nourishair, D3, Beta Carotene, Super B Complex, Collagen, and I think Vit A. What do you take? My hair grows sooo slow. I def don't get .5 inches a month:-(

But I got a steamer last week and hoping that helps with retention. I plan to do weekly steam treatments. I don't know what else to do but be patient.

i'm really sad to hear this, Aggie.
i wish you well on your personal challenge and hope to see you back soon!

I'm still a part of the APL challenge but not the HYH challenge grow. I'm not leaving this challenge until I'm at APL for sure:yep:.

I'm still a part of the APL challenge but not the HYH challenge grow. I'm not leaving this challenge until I'm at APL for sure:yep:.

Ohhhh! Ok Aggie. I was confused too, grow and couldn't figure out why she dropped out. Lol! Glad you are still on board!

^^I know:-( Im still in the challenge just to stay on track with my hair, but it's doubtful i'll make it this year with 41/2 months to go.

as JJ always says "alot can happen in just a few months"!
stick with it Salsa, we're still in the summer months of spurts and these spurts usually don't show up until the cold months when we can really see the difference!
the fact that you completely re grew your nape, which is the most difficult part for most of us (speaking mainly for myself), means you CAN do it!
remember, it's when our hair seems to be standing still that it's actually inching down our backs! the best part is that you've already made it over the toughest hump which is getting below the shoulder, AND you did it with a blossoming, blooming nape line, so pat yourself on the back! you ARE making great progress!:yep:

Ohhhh! Ok Aggie. I was confused too, grow and couldn't figure out why she dropped out. Lol! Glad you are still on board!

yes, i'm glad Aggie has not dropped out here as well!

Aggie, you have and continue to be such a source of inspiration and strength!
you're a motivator and a lovely lady and i'm happy we're sharing this journey together!:yep: looking forward to seeing on aboard!:grin:

yes, i'm glad Aggie has not dropped out here as well!

Aggie, you have and continue to be such a source of inspiration and strength!
you're a motivator and a lovely lady and i'm happy we're sharing this journey together!:yep: looking forward to seeing on aboard!:grin:

Wow grow, this is just so sweet of you to say. Thanks hun:kiss:

Nah Sal, I'm not leaving. I like this challenge and I really need it as motivation to get to APL again as a natural this time around:yep:.

Hey peeps!

So as you all know, yesterday was relaxer day! :yahoo:I had told you about my last incident with protein Well I'm here to report that I didn't suffer a setback!! I'm guessing that all of the hair that came out from the tangles and knots was just more shed hair.:pulpdance: mixed with a bit of breakage...:ohwell: Ok, on with the pics!

Last day of crochet braids (check out that new growth!):
SDC14979-1-1.jpg

After detangling and before shampooing (shrinkage is so deceiving):
SDC14993.jpg

Air dried:
SDC15006.jpg

Yeah, the last 2 pics are big because I was EXCITED for everyone to see my results:

Relaxed hair August 2010! This last stretch gave me pleasant surprise!! :yep: I'm comfortable with claiming APL at this point! This is the longest my hair has been in my life!
SDC15040.jpg

This pic was taken without me brushing my hair. My ends don't look as horrible as they do in this pic.
SDC15046.jpg

I think my botched trim in May has evened itself out. I think I still may get a professional 1-2" trim in Dec for the BSL challenge, but for right now, my ends are ok. I will probably leave my hair out for a few more weeks and then the crochet braids will be installed again because I got EXCELLENT retention with them.

Last edited:
Wow Chas, you'll probably make full BSL this December, never mind next year - fantastic progress!

Stretching is a wonderful thing!

Back