APL by Dec 2010!!!

YAH!!!!!

GREAT PROGRESS CHAS!!!!!

GORGEOUS PICTURES, TOO (as always!)!!!!!

MORE THAN JUST APL, I SEE THOSE HAIRS TOUCHING YOUR BRASTRAP, WHICH IS BSL TOO!!!!!

WOW, I'M SOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU HUN!!!!!!!!!

Yaaay Chas, your are moving on to bsl by the end of this year. You are doing wonderful. Now you're making me want to get a relaxer to see my growth:wallbash:

You hair grows fast. Just last month you were apl...wth? (you can send me a day to day guide ya know so I can do the same exact thing you do :grin:)

Thanks everyone! I'm super excited about my progress. APL seemed to be a big hurdle for me and took over a year to attain. Stay patient and focused ladies :yep:

Ijanei: Crazy thing is I'm a slow grower but I did get a spurt this summer AND I was able to retain all, if not most, of my growth. It had to be due to all of the PS I did this summer. Also, I started exercising but I didn't actually change my diet or increase my water intake or anything like that (you know, the things I SHOULD be doing :lachen:).

Thanks everyone! I'm super excited about my progress. APL seemed to be a big hurdle for me and took over a year to attain. Stay patient and focused ladies :yep:

Ijanei: Crazy thing is I'm a slow grower but I did get a spurt this summer AND I was able to retain all, if not most, of my growth. It had to be due to all of the PS I did this summer. Also, I started exercising but I didn't actually change my diet or increase my water intake or anything like that (you know, the things I SHOULD be doing :lachen:).

Ok now I don't feel to bad since u said that. I thought I was the only one who feels it's gonna take over a year. I know I'm only 6 months in but everybody else seem to went from sl to apl within 8 months, dont look that way for me.

I'm am so happy for you. You said this is the longest you've ever been? wow I know you are super excited

I take a whole slew of vitamins: A multivitamin, GNC Nourishair, D3, Beta Carotene, Super B Complex, Collagen, and I think Vit A. What do you take? My hair grows sooo slow. I def don't get .5 inches a month:-(

But I got a steamer last week and hoping that helps with retention. I plan to do weekly steam treatments. I don't know what else to do but be patient.

I take Biotin and Chlorella daily. Once in a while(inconsistently) I take Hair, Skin, and Nails.
Patience is key. What about protective styling? And scalp massages?

Congrats Chas! You are BSL, MBL!!!! Your hair is beautiful!

Ok now I don't feel to bad since u said that. I thought I was the only one who feels it's gonna take over a year. I know I'm only 6 months in but everybody else seem to went from sl to apl within 8 months, dont look that way for me.

I'm am so happy for you. You said this is the longest you've ever been? wow I know you are super excited

Yeah my hair has never been more than a inch or two past SL. I was really discouraged when reading posts of ladies who went from SL to APL in 6-8 months. SL-APL was 5-5.5" and it took me at least 13 months of my 16 month journey to get there. One thing I've learn and it seems to be a LHCF mantra: never compare your progress with someone else. So don't feel bad girl!

Hello ladies! I have a question about dusting. At first I was going to do my dustings every 8 weeks, but I noticed I have a few splits that are midstrand. So would dusting more frequently like every month help to get rid of the damage? It took me a while to figure out that my hair hates direct heat and I want my ends to be as healthy as possible while getting to my goals. I decided to stop using flat irons and blow dryers because no matter how little I use them my hair just hates it!

I take Biotin and Chlorella daily. Once in a while(inconsistently) I take Hair, Skin, and Nails.
Patience is key. What about protective styling? And scalp massages?

Afrochique, im so confused about protective styling. Maybe you can help me out. I was washing and airdrying my hair overnight twice a week. In the am, I would put my hair in a sock bun using two ouchless elastic bands. Then I read that sock buns are not good bc of the bands that must be used. Then sometimes when I would take my bun down, my ends would be scraggly and dry. I don't know of any other protective styles as I can't cornrow/French braid and my hair is not long enough for most of the other styles.

Eta: I massage my scalp every night.

Hello ladies! I have a question about dusting. At first I was going to do my dustings every 8 weeks, but I noticed I have a few splits that are midstrand. So would dusting more frequently like every month help to get rid of the damage? It took me a while to figure out that my hair hates direct heat and I want my ends to be as healthy as possible while getting to my goals. I decided to stop using flat irons and blow dryers because no matter how little I use them my hair just hates it!

It definitely couldn't hurt. I dust every month but I also do S&D's with every wash. If you are focused on your ends, I would start off with a good trim and then start dusting regularly. I used to have mid strand splits but since I started dusting often and keeping my protein/moisture balance in check, I haven't had that problem in a while.

I flat ironed my hair...which I don't do often. I decided to post a progress pic b/c I probably won't be straight again until New Year's (my personal APL goal date). If I don't make it this year, I'm trying for March 2011, my 2 year natural anniversary.

Picture2-vi.png

IMG_0175-vi.jpg

IMG_0176-vi.jpg

IMG_0179-vi.jpg

I have about 2.5" to go in the front and maybe 3-3.5" in the back. I'm getting 2/3 inch a month right now (much more than usual) so it's possible I'll make my New Year's goal. I'm not concerned with all the layers reaching APL. I like the layers, I just want them longer.

I straightened my hair the other and decided to do a length check.

The 4th line is apl but I only have a few stands touching it. My goal is to have majority of my length to touch the 5th line by Dec. That would put me at full apl.

GEDC0449.jpg

Hey peeps!

So as you all know, yesterday was relaxer day! :yahoo:I had told you about my last incident with protein Well I'm here to report that I didn't suffer a setback!! I'm guessing that all of the hair that came out from the tangles and knots was just more shed hair.:pulpdance: mixed with a bit of breakage...:ohwell: Ok, on with the pics!

Last day of crochet braids (check out that new growth!):
SDC14979-1-1.jpg

After detangling and before shampooing (shrinkage is so deceiving):
SDC14993.jpg

Air dried:
SDC15006.jpg

Yeah, the last 2 pics are big because I was EXCITED for everyone to see my results:

Relaxed hair August 2010! This last stretch gave me pleasant surprise!! :yep: I'm comfortable with claiming APL at this point! This is the longest my hair has been in my life!
SDC15040.jpg

This pic was taken without me brushing my hair. My ends don't look as horrible as they do in this pic.
SDC15046.jpg

I think my botched trim in May has evened itself out. I think I still may get a professional 1-2" trim in Dec for the BSL challenge, but for right now, my ends are ok. I will probably leave my hair out for a few more weeks and then the crochet braids will be installed again because I got EXCELLENT retention with them.

OMG Chas - Your hair came out so beautiful! You are touching BSl now, you may hit full BSL by DEC 10!! congrats, you grow girl.. What was your reggie while in the braids?

OMG Chas - Your hair came out so beautiful! You are touching BSl now, you may hit full BSL by DEC 10!! congrats, you grow girl.. What was your reggie while in the braids?

Thanks elle! My reggie was suuuuper simple. I cleansed my scalp with witch hazel every other day and sprayed scurl on the cornrows 3-4 times a week. I thought that I would have to deal with build up due to the scurl but I didn't have any at all! When I took the cornrows down, my hair was extremely soft and detangling my hair was a breeze.

Manter26, we look like similar lengths, but omg, your hais is soooo thick!!!:lick:

Thanks! Between the thickness and the Florida humidity, it doesn't even make sense to flat iron my hair. I came across a pic of my old relaxed days and I couldn't believe the difference. My breakage was totally out of control, but I thought it was normal. I do have very fine strands so i have trouble keeping them on my head sometimes.

Last edited:
Chasturner, YOUR HAIR IS GORGEOUS!! I've been stalking this thread (I initially joined it, but I dont think I will make full APL by Dec)

Grow, your hair is gorgeous, too Congrats!!

Hey Chas, how long did you keep the braids in.. Im so interested in this, im thinking about installing this weekend.. you have inspired me, lol.. also what kind of hair did you use? and how many packs? did you install them yourself?

Afrochique, im so confused about protective styling. Maybe you can help me out. I was washing and airdrying my hair overnight twice a week. In the am, I would put my hair in a sock bun using two ouchless elastic bands. Then I read that sock buns are not good bc of the bands that must be used. Then sometimes when I would take my bun down, my ends would be scraggly and dry. I don't know of any other protective styles as I can't cornrow/French braid and my hair is not long enough for most of the other styles.

Eta: I massage my scalp every night.

I know you didn't ask me, but I think the Southern Tease Bun, would be perfect for you. You don't need a hair stick to do it, you can use large bobby pins, claw clips, a flamingo clip, or a hair elastic to hold it. Also, your hair is the perfect length for it. :yep:
hth.

Chasturner, YOUR HAIR IS GORGEOUS!! I've been stalking this thread (I initially joined it, but I dont think I will make full APL by Dec)

Grow, your hair is gorgeous, too Congrats!!

Hey Chas, how long did you keep the braids in.. Im so interested in this, im thinking about installing this weekend.. you have inspired me, lol.. also what kind of hair did you use? and how many packs? did you install them yourself?

Thanks 4bslbound!

Elle-
You definitely should try this style because it's super easy and quick; I installed them myself. I think I may have had another growth spurt during the month that I wore crochet braids and I was able to retain all of my growth because there is no manipulation with this PS. I bought 2 bags of Freetress Water Wave bulk hair (it looks like it's texture 3c and cost about $6/bag). It took about 3 hours to complete because I didn't know how to cornrow and had to look up a tutorial on youtube. The actual installation of the hair only took about an 1-1.5 hours. Try it.

BlackMasterPiece has created a few threads on them and her fotki is really awesome (she has a lot of pics): http://public.fotki.com/BlackMasterPiece/my-auburn-and-brown/ Also, look at the numers tutorials on youtube. Good luck and let me know if I can help you with more info.

I know you didn't ask me, but I think the Southern Tease Bun, would be perfect for you. You don't need a hair stick to do it, you can use large bobby pins, claw clips, a flamingo clip, or a hair elastic to hold it. Also, your hair is the perfect length for it. :yep:
hth.

Thanks Chaos. I'm going to look up this style...and my questions are to anyone who can help. I appreciate it!!

Not updated for a while (apologies for the smudges!)

I'm getting there slowly but surely. More slowly if anything. :ohwell: I need a trim too which I'll have to do next relaxer.

I hope it's not too late to join. I also joined BSL 2011 - we shall see. My Avatar is a little inaccurate because of the way I was standing (I'm a little closer to APL then pic).

What are you doing for growth
No Heat, PSing, Stretching relaxer to 6 mos., Vits
What are you not going to do
Use Heat
What length are you now?
Between SL and APL

Glad I found this site. Very inspiring!

Not updated for a while (apologies for the smudges!)

I'm getting there slowly but surely. More slowly if anything. :ohwell: I need a trim too which I'll have to do next relaxer.

Looking good Cream!!! By the picture, it looks like you're already grazing it, IMO...if you're not, then you have less than an inch to go :yep:. It's a little difficult to tell due to the angle. Keep up the great work!!!!

Back