APL by Dec 2010!!!

hey wait, sitting under the dryer counts as a heat pass?!

i thought that was considered "indirect heat"....:ohwell:

Co-sign on that one! I haven't used the dryer much but I have been using the heck out of my steamer. Oh well... I'll drop out of the challenge before I stop using my steamer once a week.

please dont tell me the dryer is concidered as direct heat= not good for the hair! pleasssse.

is it possible to rollerset with a steamer? it won't really do those waves/curls well will it? or they might just fall directly aftert aking out the rollers???

Yep ladies, I confirmed it with Hechangedmyname, who started the challenge, and she said that sitting under the dryer with the purpose of drying your hair (not DCing) counted as a heat pass although it is indirect heat. :sad:

Thanks and yes I did think that it was stuck :nono: You also made WONDERFUL progress. I think my boost came from my vitamins, protein drinks, MN and that's about it honestly now I added megatek to the mix, oh Ive been trynna' limit my heat. Pics will come around sometime in August or beginning of September. I am braided up and preparing for my install this weekend. I hope I finish this time. This will be my 3rd attempt to install a sew-in :wallbash:

I dont get how that works for some ppl. How do you get straight hair from the rollers and a dryer :sad:? I really want to know so I can stop flat ironing. It seems like it wouldnt get ur roots str8 and would look fuzzy. Can we see pics plzzzzzzzzz?

I was talking about after my relaxer. If you are several weeks post, your roots would be a little fuzzy and you would probably have to flat iron. When I get my relaxer my roots are pretty straight and my stylist uses the large grey rollers for my hair...the tension she uses and the size of the rollers ensure that my hair stays straight after it is dry. All I do then is wrap it at night. I do have a pic of my hair when I relaxed and rollerset it back in April and I will post it when I get home from work...if you still want to see it.

hey girl! why do you think you won't get there by dec? its your pic on your siggi right?well i say YOU CAN GET THERE!

i am excited but to not be upst im starting to say, ok maybe you won't make it....even though a part of me says "you can" i think im almost same length as you. im just not straightening so i do'nt really know

I have about 3 inches to go, and that seems like a stretch to make in 6 months. My hair grows slow...I definitely don't get 1/2 inch per month. So Im expecting to make it early 2011, but if I make it this year, it will be a really nice suprise!

My siggy shows my new length picture. I got a major trim at my last relaxer Jun 17th. Good luck girl. When do you plan to straighten for a length check?

Oh well, I guess I've been breaking the rules of the challenge every week. I am in the Rollersetting challenge, and I rollerset and sit under the dryer every week without fail.:nono:

Oh well, I guess I've been breaking the rules of the challenge every week. I am in the Rollersetting challenge, and I rollerset and sit under the dryer every week without fail.:nono:

i didn't know that this was considered like alot of heat either, so i have to change plans.
ouch.
although for now, it's no problem....i'm not even thinking of trying to rollerset in this heat anymore!

btw, Salsa, your hair looks GREAT!
it's so full and healthy and strong looking!
you're doing a great job!!!:yep:

Oh wow, I didn't know this!

Well I'm going to continue using the dryer for my rollersets as it really works. I guess I'll have to drop out of the challenge! :ohwell::perplexed

Your hair looks great - you can still make APL by the end of the year! :yep:

Well I'm going to continue using the dryer for my rollersets as it really works. I guess I'll have to drop out of the challenge! :ohwell::perplexed

are we ALL gonna have to drop out of the challenge to save our rollersets?:lachen:

ok, why don't we all try air drying our rollersets? i know it takes foreva but, with the heat outside, it might be a little faster.:rolleyes:

and i totally agree, Salsa you can make APL by the end of the year, too!

i didn't know that this was considered like alot of heat either, so i have to change plans.
ouch.
although for now, it's no problem....i'm not even thinking of trying to rollerset in this heat anymore! Really? Girl, I still DC and rollerset under the dryer in this heat! I may have to drop out :ohwell:

btw, Salsa, your hair looks GREAT! thanks girl. I don't see where it looks great though. I'm so Not happy with it, but I'm hanging in there.
it's so full and healthy and strong looking!
you're doing a great job!!!:yep:

I am definitely not giving up my rollersets. It's the only way I know to get my hair presentable.
are we ALL gonna have to drop out of the challenge to save our rollersets?:lachen:

ok, why don't we all try air drying our rollersets? i know it takes foreva but, with the heat outside, it might be a little faster.:rolleyes:

and i totally agree, Salsa you can make APL by the end of the year, too!
Thanks girl. My hair grows really slow, so I'm hoping to make it, but it's seriously OK if I don't.

Last edited:
I have about 3 inches to go, and that seems like a stretch to make in 6 months. My hair grows slow...I definitely don't get 1/2 inch per month. So Im expecting to make it early 2011, but if I make it this year, it will be a really nice suprise!

My siggy shows my new length picture. I got a major trim at my last relaxer Jun 17th. Good luck girl. When do you plan to straighten for a length check?

Thanks! i plan on sraightening rarely, so i guess i'll keep the "surprise" for december,like for new year 31 ,it will be an occasion+ a length check ESPECIALLY FOR THIS TOPIC! im nervous a bit, i feel like at first my hair was growing fast ,then....nada.

Surrrrre do:yep: chasturner84

Ok, so here are the rollers that I use to have my hair rollerset after my relaxer:
SDC14786-1.jpg

And here was my hair a day after my stylist relaxed and rollerset (and I trimmed) back in April:
selftrimApr2010-2-1.jpg

and here is a pic of my roots the same day:
SDC14236-1.jpg

So as you can see, I don't have the problem of having to flat iron after my relaxer because my rollersets keep my hair really straight. The initial degree of straightness usually lasts about 6 weeks. Then my hair starts to go through a superficial texture change (and it thickens) after repeated washings:

8 weeks:
SDC14295-1-1-1.jpg

10-16 weeks or whenever I relax again. (I start using flexirods around this time)
SDC14613-1.jpg

Another texture shot:
SDC14634-1.jpg

I know this was waaay more info than you wanted, :imsorry: LOL

Lovely hair Chas and great progress, you're doing very well! :yep: I know you were talking about trimming but your ends look fine to me.

Lovely hair Chas and great progress, you're doing very well! :yep: I know you were talking about trimming but your ends look fine to me.

Thanks Cream! I looked at my ends and although they don't really look "bad" (def uneven) to me, I just want more of a uniform U-shape. I keep going back and forth on if/when I'm going to trim, but I'll know for sure after I see my newly relaxed hair in 4-5 weeks. :yahoo:I love stretches because I get sooo excited when it's time for my relaxer. Heck, I get excited when it's time for y'all's relaxers too :pulpdance::imstupid:

Ok, so here are the rollers that I use to have my hair rollerset after my relaxer:
SDC14786-1.jpg

And here was my hair a day after my stylist relaxed and rollerset (and I trimmed) back in April:
selftrimApr2010-2-1.jpg

and here is a pic of my roots the same day:
SDC14236-1.jpg

So as you can see, I don't have the problem of having to flat iron after my relaxer because my rollersets keep my hair really straight. The initial degree of straightness usually lasts about 6 weeks. Then my hair starts to go through a superficial texture change (and it thickens) after repeated washings:

8 weeks:
SDC14295-1-1-1.jpg

10-16 weeks or whenever I relax again. (I start using flexirods around this time)
SDC14613-1.jpg

Another texture shot:
SDC14634-1.jpg

I know this was waaay more info than you wanted, :imsorry: LOL

it certainly wasn't more than what I wanted! hey, these pictures are fabulous!!! your hair looks sooooo silky and bouncy!!! simply gorgeous!
and thanks for explaining the timing with the changing textures......that's an important note too!
please share your lovely pictures (lots!:yep:) with us anythime!

this pic right here is the one I loooove, I wanna do that with my hair...and ur rollerset came out hott! :yep: It looks so silky[/I]

it certainly wasn't more than what I wanted! hey, these pictures are fabulous!!! your hair looks sooooo silky and bouncy!!! simply gorgeous!
and thanks for explaining the timing with the changing textures......that's an important note too!
please share your lovely pictures (lots!:yep:) with us anythime!

Thanks ladies! Grow, I know we had a semi-convo earlier in this thread about me needing to get a new style due to my hair depression. Well I did. I will be in crochet braids until I relax next month!

crochetbraids-1.jpg

Back:
SDC14790-2.jpg

I bought 2 bags of Freetress Water Wave bulk hair. I used color 2 in the back and color 33 in the front and top...I have gotten so many compliments on my hair that I may hide my hair in crochets the majority of the winter. It took about 3 hours to do because I didn't know how to cornrow and had to look up a tutorial on youtube. The actual installation of the hair only took about an 1-1.5 hours.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies! Grow, I know we had a semi-convo earlier in this thread about me needing to get a new style due to my hair depression. Well I did. I will be in crochet braids until I relax next month!

crochetbraids-1.jpg

Back (I have no idea why this pic is sooo big, sorry ladies):
SDC14790-2.jpg

I bought 2 bags of Freetress Water Wave bulk hair. I used color 2 in the back and color 33 in the front and top...I have gotten so many compliments on my hair that I may hide my hair in crochets the majority of the winter. It took about 3 hours to do because I didn't know how to cornrow and had to look up a tutorial on youtube. The actual installation of the hair only took about an 1-1.5 hours.

BEAUTIFUL HAIR, BEAUTIFUL LADY!
i'm so glad you found something that works for the doldrums of styling!
i wish we had those types of styling options over here in milan.....
it really looks pretty and btw, that picture is not too big!
just love love love the pictures, Chas!
thank you!!!:grin:

I feel you! I just got kinky twists last week...I badly needed a hair break. :yep:

Well, I big chopped last year and it's just about a year in now. Here is where I am (taking my braids out)

(sorry it's slightly tilted to the side, mum doesn't have a steady hand but you can see an armpit :lachen:)

IMG_7560-vi.jpg

5 more months to go...I think I can make it...I hope.

^^^Hang in there, LadyRaider! You never know.

i agree with IntheMix08!
we are in the summer growth spurt months LadyRaider, so keep the faith!:yep:

what's your reggie? are you using growth aides? how do you wear your hair on a daily basis?

Well, I big chopped last year and it's just about a year in now. Here is where I am (taking my braids out)

(sorry it's slightly tilted to the side, mum doesn't have a steady hand but you can see an armpit :lachen:)

IMG_7560-vi.jpg

5 more months to go...I think I can make it...I hope.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!:grin:

Good morning!!

Just checking in. I tried to stretch but only made it 8 weeks and I caved and got a relaxer  I think over all I got about and inch and a half of NG and retained most if not all. I didn't straighten it, only sealed it and dried it and now it's back up in my phony-pony. I could definitely tell a difference in my length which made me smile  I didn't take pics since I didn't straighten maybe next time!

HHG!!

i agree with IntheMix08!
we are in the summer growth spurt months LadyRaider, so keep the faith!:yep:

what's your reggie? are you using growth aides? how do you wear your hair on a daily basis?

I think I have messed up my summer growth spurt. I was exercising and eating right and drinking water, but then I found I have to move for my job and it sent me into a tailspin of funk and bad behavior for July. I'm climbing out of that now.

I have been wearing my hair braided up or a twistout/braidout puff, or in a bun.

I bought one of those small donut buns at Sally's a year ago. I just found out this summer that my hair is now long enough to wrap around it and wear it so I wear that as well. I wanted to record that milestone here, but my camera sux! It means a lot to me that I can now wear that donut!

Reggie: Every two or three days
Shampoo (varies I'm a pj)
Aphogee 2 minute for about 5 minutes (once a week, not every time)
Condition ... allowing it to sit for 30-45 minutes. Sometimes with heat, always with a cap. I use Kenra, TIGI Moisture Maniac, Sitrinillah, ORS pack

I use a leave in... usually Shescentit Coco Cream, seal with argan oil from Sally's.

I generally manipulate my hair each night... rebraiding, moisturizing ends with seyani butter.

Back