APL by Dec 2010!!!

Thinking I've overmoisturized. Some hair broke off while finger combing, and my hair kept stretching during a strand test...thinking it is time to do a protein treatment. Bout to do a search on best methods for doing the Aphogee 2-step (which I'm planning on doing tomorrow). Nothing major, but glad I figured out what's going on quick.

Agree with Kitten45, don't go overboard with your response. Try Aphogee 2 minute. Or Joico K-Pak. Then go back to your regular routine but add a protein step like Aphogeee Green Tea reconstructer leave-in that you can use here and there to course correct when needed.

I was going to wait and post this with a picture but here it goes:

What are you doing for growth?
-Wash hair every three weeks(my hair does best when left alone)
-Monitoring my scalp
-Deep conditioning
-Will wig it up some (cornrows most of the time)
-PROTECT and oil/seal my ends daily
-PROTECTIVE style a must

What are you not going to do?
-protective style
-take vitamins daily
-flat iron hair 4 times a year(once every 3 months)

What length are you now?
-Not quit sure I believe a few inchs above APL (may be more or less but I want full APL)

I am hoping to post a pic sometime soon while my hair is straight. I ordered one of those length check shirts but I haven't received it yet.

I thought I posted in this thread requesting to be added but I can't find my post.

What are you doing for growth -
Oil and massage scalp, BT, briaid under wig, stretch until may
scalp scrub once a month, wash every 2 weeks, cowash 1x a week, DC every week in braids. Take down braids every month.

What are you not going to do
Go to the salon

What length are you now?
CBL

Adding a length check shot taken 12/31/09:

picture.php

I can't believe I made it back to the first line on my shirt so fast. I cut my hair to EL back in May. I was such a pleasant surprise! I can't wait until this coming up May to see my 1 year comparison shots.

ETA: Line 5 is APL and line 8 is BSL. 4" to go YAY :weird:

Last edited:
Im up! Count me in :)

what are you doing for growth?- Protective styling, low manipulation, hands out of hair, DC, moisturizing and sealing every night, multivitamins

what are you not going to do?- Manipulating my hair too often, slacking on DC and moisturizing, trimming with scissors that arent shears

what length are you now?
- Collarbone length

^^we got the same shirt and I didn't wanna say that APL is number, but since you said so too I guess its true.

Deep Condition, Steam, Moisturize, Protective styles & longer stretches.

What length are you now?

Shoulder

Neglect my hair

Below is a picture of my current length taken Jan 3'10. I haven't missed my week cowash and dcing. Looking forward to Sunday me time with my hair.

If my signature changes will this picture go away?

Last edited:
My starting picture for this challenge is in my signature. Not the best picture I took it with my web cam. I tried to wait on my length check shirt....but it's taking to long to be delivered. I wanted to take the picture with straight hair. This is six day old professional flat iron job and I don't want to have it out more that a week because it is way to cold(it's time to protect it). So I used a shirt with lines for now so I would have something to go by.

Ok, thanks ladies. I have some rollers that I need to take back to Sally's. I'll trade them in for the Aphogee 2 min and the green tea reconstructor. Will let you all know what happens...

Still in tree braids/with sew in. I'll be taking this down soon and reinstalling my tree braids. But I may rock my hair for a few days. I miss it sometimes. :(

I'm in ... My first hair challenge!

Washing and DC'ing every week
Trimming when needed
Protective styles (twistouts, braidouts, wigs)
Alter Ego Garlic Treatment every 2 weeks

No direct Heat

What length are you now?
SL

- Exercises
- Diet
- Vitamins: Biotin, MSM, and vitamin B complex
- Weaves

- Direct heat
- Cut

What length are you in?

- SL ( see avatar )

What are you doing for growth
  • Protective styling (and learning how to be more creative with my bunning)
  • Minimal use of heat (and using a protectant before using heat)
  • Regular oil treatments and deep conditioning
  • Wrapping my head at night (even when I'm just lounging) - I was getting sloppy about this for a while
  • Babying my ends and treating my hair like fine lace :grin:
  • Reading Paula Begoun's books (I've learned so much!) and planning to read others
  • Paying attention to what my hair needs - protein? silicone? moisture?
What are you not going to do
  • Too many dry rollersets (I find that when I do it too often, my ends knot up and I have lots of breakage - although using Macherieamour's techniques have helped with that)
  • Be boring with my hair (I am determined to protect with STYLE!)
What length are you now?
  • Midway between SL and APL . . .I'm maybe 2-3 inches from APL

I did a DC on dry hair yesterday with cholesterol and aussie 3 min miracle under the hood dryer for 30 min (had also pre-pood with coconut oil). Washed, conditioned, moisturized, sealed, and braided. Today I'm adding kinky twists with marley hair. I can't believe I'm doing my own kinky twists!!!!!

Last edited:
Finally got around to getting some pics of my hair at starting point..

I gave myself a little trim today..slowly trying to get rid of my bad ends.. Dont think I will be cutting again until I after I make full APL!!!!

Attachments

• Picture1 185.jpg
    Picture1 185.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 38
  • Picture1 184.jpg
    Picture1 184.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Picture1 183.jpg
    Picture1 183.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 36
I did a DC on dry hair yesterday with cholesterol and aussie 3 min miracle under the hood dryer for 30 min (had also pre-pood with coconut oil). Washed, conditioned, moisturized, sealed, and braided. Today I'm adding kinky twists with marley hair. I can't believe I'm doing my own kinky twists!!!!!

Be sure to post pics of your twists.

Is it too late to join this? I thought I already did, or I must have wanted to being that my I subcribed to this thread. I can taste APL this year!

Finally got around to getting some pics of my hair at starting point..

I gave myself a little trim today..slowly trying to get rid of my bad ends.. Dont think I will be cutting again until I after I make full APL!!!!

Be sure to take super super good care of your ends! If you keep them moisturized and protected you may not need to cut at all once you get there. I cut mine Dec 08 and haven't needed a cut since. Just the lightest of dustings may be all you need.
Good luck!!

Be sure to take super super good care of your ends! If you keep them moisturized and protected you may not need to cut at all once you get there. I cut mine Dec 08 and haven't needed a cut since. Just the lightest of dustings may be all you need.
Good luck!!

thanks very much!! I'm so glad to hear that.. lord knows I dont want to have to get rid of anymore hair... I was hoping that I could just take really good care of them and grow a beautiful head of hear at the same time..

I'll be sure to take your advice:yep:

So just a quick update. I kind of started mine in December so am tracking my progress from there. I have been using Ayuverdic products. I made this oil from Brahmi, Amla and Henna using castor, jojoba, amla and coconut oils which i use 3-4 times per week. Word to the wise, the castor and amla oils made this oil smell so badly a weaker person would not be able to sleep with it on :nono: But i persevere because i have noticed growth and softening of new growth :ohwell:

I have also washed weekly with a tea rinse made from Shikaikai, amla, henna, and Brahmi powders and i did not have any residual grit left in my hair. I have done only one ayuverda DC so far and for that i used a paste of my powders massaged into hair and co-washed off. When i did this, my was so happy and so strong (i could see the powders working instantly) and so soft:grin: For styling i was doing twists and i would style using a whipped shea butter mix that i made.

From all this i can proudly report about 3/4 of an inch of growth since i started. :yep: The new growth is strong and softer plus when i had to change hairstyles (2 days ago i ditched my twists for a weave when i had to go for a job interview) i did not have as much breakage as in the past. Will see how to work in my routine with a weave on...

Back