Advantages and Disadvantages of Dating MUCH Older Men

Or, they could be late bloomers. A very small segment but they do exist.

Yea, they could have just had other priorities previously. I don't really understand the notion that if you're still single by a certain age something must be "wrong" with you.

*5+5 :lol: at "kid in a candy store look in his eyes!!" I know that's right...

WOOT! Get it gurl!!:grin::grin: you better update us on how it goes:look::look::look: yes i'm nosy:lol:

when is your lunch date? i'm so excited for you:yep::yep:

Hehehe....we havent set it yet. When he called me, I dropped it on him that I was leaving town the next morning but before we got off the phone he reminded me of our lunch. I didn't see him today in the gym :sad: so he doesnt know I am back but I am sure he'll arrange when we see each other again. I like eat.

Y'all funny talking about old men. I dont know if he's divorced, single never married, or widowed. I dont know if he has kids. I guess because I am not that serious about a future I prefer not to know the child status. It will kill the buzz.

Or, they could be late bloomers. A very small segment but they do exist.

Eh, fooy, late bloomer my left butt cheek! They are extremely picky which I understand. But, I also find them to be very jaded and regretful of past relationships to the point they don't go out of their way to make romantic gestures. One of them told me on valentines day he wasn't going to send me flowers (and not even eflowers), "Because I did all that for an ex and I'm cured!" :perplexed

I find some of them to be just as immature as the early 20 something men. Of course this doesn't apply to all but those that I have met are a mess. :ohwell:

Yea, they could have just had other priorities previously. I don't really understand the notion that if you're still single by a certain age something must be "wrong" with you.

@*5+5 :lol: at "kid in a candy store look in his eyes!!" I know that's right...

I don't think there is something wrong with them, I just think they aren't as eager to please, making women feel as if they are indifferent. Perhaps they are just tired, with all those previous "priorities." :look:

Well I think there are advantages and disadvantages of dating not only older men but younger men as well. Just have fun and don't take things so seriously, until the both of you are arrive at that level. Date someone who interests you and who is good to and for you and just be in a wait and see mode.You may be pleasantly surprised.

The Advantages:

Older men are established in their careers. They are no longer working 16 hour days trying to build their professional reputation.

They have discretionary income. So, along with free time they also have the money to really court you and have a nice time.

They enjoy and take their time with lovemaking. They actually focus on the art of lovemaking and not just the finished result.

They have "running around" out of their system. They don't mind spending quiet evenings at home and if they do want to get out of the house to unwind and have fun, they want you with them. Boys Night Out is usually a distant memory for older men.

The Disadvantages:

Older men usually have children and/or ex-wives. That may mean child support, alimony, etc. Those things may impact your relationship.

If he's much older he may have health issues or be at the age where he could be getting them soon. That's something you have to decide if you want to deal with. Some older guys are just looking for a woman to be a bedwarmer and a caretaker.

Last edited:
So...

He's a mythical creature. Almost too clean...so I am definitely intrigued. This interest me on so many levels. No ex-wives, no children, never drank, never smoke, never did drugs, and the type of works he does requires him to be Obama-clean.

We've been out twice so far and I like him. So we'll see....Stay tuned.

Yet another thread I've been lurking on but can't stay quiet because I must know! BeautifulFlower, how are things going with the FBI agent? (In my mind, I'm picturing Shemar Moore from Criminal Minds, yum!)

Esthi777,

LOL! I haven't seen him in a while. I'm sure he'll pop up soon. I've been out of town a lot so I have been at our gym as much. We hang. Its fun. He's a really cool guy. And like I stated above he's a mythical creature so I am so intrigued about his life. But I dont know. I think I'd prefer someone in their late 20s - mid 30s. Even though I love being with him and people stare because I am petite and he's a monster statured man, the novelty will in time wear off I am sure.

Last BF was 39 and I was 28. He was actually quite immature in a few ways, like he got wasted-drunk 3-4 nights a week as if he were still in a frat. But the thing that was annoying that came with his age was that he assumed that he was right all the time just because he was older. I could say something as simple as, "I loved that movie" and he would just be like, "No, that movie was awful." He was the authority on EVERYTHING.

I still prefer older men, though.

I'm almost 24 and one of the guys I'm dating is 33. I don't know that I like him enough to be exclusive yet, I'm enjoying meeting/dating other men but his emotional maturity is making him stand out in a very good way.:yep: In the last month I've dated guys closer to my age (25 and 28) and I was surprised at the lack of emotional immaturity of both these guys.:ohwell: I've been caught off guard by how I feel more on the same page with guys 8-10 years older than me.

Now the disadvantage is that while men who are 30+ are ready to get married and have kids, I'm only 23, I'm in grad school and while I want to be a wife and mother, I'm getting ready to start my career. I don't want to start having kids until I'm 27-28 at the earliest. Even if I married a man 10 years my senior who was okay with waiting, I'm not sure how I'd feel about having my first child with a man who's 40 or close to it.:perplexed:look:

Last edited:
Well at least you know he goes to the doctor.

Seriously a lot of these post are just :lachen::lachen::lachen:

The Hypertension no laughing matter with an older man:nono:
I dated one man, i think he was about 8 to 10 years older, and right there on his dresser/cabinet was his hypertension medicine...

that really made me pause for the cause with him...
especially since my father died of a hypertension related cause...

Lol, this man contacted me a couple of weeks ago, so i know he's still alive and kicking...

Back