2014 Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge

2 weeks in my cornrows. I've been wearing them in a bun since it's been so hot here. Lessons I've learned so far:

*I prefer argan oil over coconut oil.

*I prefer cornrows over senegalese twists. They take less time to have installed and remove. I have better access to my scalp. Everybody and their momma are rocking senegalese twists so I'm kinda over them.

*Speaking of scalp: Mine is getting a tad itchy so I'll be washing next weekend and saying a silent prayer that they don't frizz up to the point of no return. I want these babies to last at least 6 weeks!

Last edited:
My hair is in pinned up twist. I've been wearing twist since Saturday. Tomorrow - Thursday I will probably wear my twist out bun...and Friday I will more than likely wear a puff.

I really like how the hair looks when I take the flat twist down. Too bad that's maybe 1/12 of my whole head and it was done on freshly set hair. One day I'll work my way up to twisting my whole head.

image-2621916171.jpg

Just used my It's a 10 dry shampoo & conditioner spray on my braids and Lawd what a relief! No more itchies, a decent enough clean scalp and my braids are so shiny and conditioned. I'll still wash within the next week and a half though. I've had this spray for months and today was my first time using it. Def a staple for when I have braids.

Still sticking to the same style. Gaining just a little bit more length in the back which is making it easier to twist up the back. Also getting a chance to try out new products without worrying how my hair is going to look. Each week my twists are lasting a little bit longer. The misting twice a day is keeping it from drying out. So far so good.

Alright ladies! Almost halfway through this "challenge" and everyone is starting to get in their groove. Excited for more updates throughout the rest of the year.

The hairstyle for my sisters wedding is a protective style so I decided to leave it in for a while. It's a braided updo, I'm gonna try to stretch it for 4-6 weeks before taking it down.

Attachments

• image-3048396112.jpg
    image-3048396112.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 123
It's been almost 3 weeks so I had to wash my braids since my scalp was cussing me out. I washed 3 times with my Elucence shampoo, conditioned in the shower with HV Acai berry conditioner for about 5 minutes while I washed up for a little shot of protein. T-shirt dried while I got dressed. Added SM restorative conditioner as a leave in and a little Kinky Curly Custard on top to tame the frizzies. Put my scarf over it to let it finish drying. My scalp is singing praises and my hair is nice and soft. My braids still look good and I'm 100% sure I can make it 6-8 weeks in these...moreso 8 with the routine I've been doing so far.

*Moisturize every other day or as needed with moisture spray.

*2 week mark-It's a 10 dry shampoo and conditioner spray

*3 week mark- wash and condition

*Repeat until take down

I would like to join this challenge. I did my first somewhat successful twist-out today. I think I will be rocking twist-outs most of the summer. I had a hard time covering the part in the middle but i think I will avoid parting my hair in the middle next time.

1 What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? My primary style is buns but I am going to go between buns and twist-outs this summer.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? My maintenance regime will be to pineapple at night and when the twist-out gets old I will wear it in a bun.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Relaxed

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I want to leave my hair alone. I want to achieve health, length, and thickness.

5. When and how will you restyle your hair? I will restyle my hair every 2 - 3 days.

6. Include Starting Pic. Picture posted but it is not the best.

Attachments

• IMG_2879.jpg
    IMG_2879.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
At the half way mark with my braids. 4 weeks down and 4 to go. They are still holding up well. Been wearing them in one french braid.

So my due date came and went and I'm still pregnant!!!! I will be induced this Tuesday but praying the baby comes on his own before then. My birthday is this weekend and my family has bets floating around that he's gonna make his appearance on my birthday. Shoooot if he does, it will be the best birthday gift ever! lol

Edited to add pictures

Last edited:
At the half way mark with my braids. 4 weeks down and 4 to go. They are still holding up well. Been wearing them in one french braid. So my due date came and went and I'm still pregnant!!!! I will be induced this Tuesday but praying the baby comes on his own before then. My birthday is this weekend and my family has bets floating around that he's gonna make his appearance on my birthday. Shoooot if he does, it will be the best birthday gift ever! lol Edited to add pictures

Very nice! I know your baby is going to come right on time. That time being... whenever he's ready. Good luck!

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)?
My primary styles will be twists and braids; however, I will attempt a bun.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
I prepoo, wash my hair, deep condition(time various), set under my steamer for 45 minutes, and style my hair weekly. Unless, imhave my hair in mini twists or mini braids. I normally refresh my hair once or twist per week using the LOC Method.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
I am natural.

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Ongoing retention and healthy hair. I am working out and I don't want to do my hair daily.

5. When and how will you restyle your hair?
I normally wash and style my hair on Fridays or Sundays night. My hair will be in braids, twists as well twist out and braid outs.

6. Include Starting Pic. (You will not be an official challenger without one).

I will post shortly.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? My primary styles will be twists and braids; however, I will attempt a bun. 2. What is your style maintenance regimen? I prepoo, wash my hair, deep condition(time various), set under my steamer for 45 minutes, and style my hair weekly. Unless, imhave my hair in mini twists or mini braids. I normally refresh my hair once or twist per week using the LOC Method. 3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? I am natural. 4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Ongoing retention and healthy hair. I am working out and I don't want to do my hair daily. 5. When and how will you restyle your hair? I normally wash and style my hair on Fridays or Sundays night. My hair will be in braids, twists as well twist out and braid outs. 6. Include Starting Pic. (You will not be an official challenger without one). I will post shortly.

My hair has been in these twists since last Friday. I am planning to unravel them tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• image-3892143104.jpg
    image-3892143104.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 105
Still bunning. I just straightened for the first time in a couple of months and dusted my ends. I need to go back over them because I was in a hurry, but overall I didn't see many knots or splits.

I'm just barely scraping HL. I'm going to try to alternate more between straight and curly styles. Wearing curly styles for too long is bad for my ends, but they're so easy and cute! I think I'm going to keep growing for the summer and then go get a trim in August or September to even things up a bit. I'll see how it looks by then.

I also need to find a substitute DC since my beloved Silk Dreams is on hiatus. Probably should just go back to making my own.

Back