2014 Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge

Tibbar

Your eco-custard sounds super moisturizing, but it's probably what kept your hair so moist. Maybe you could apply less product and try again? Or maybe mix the gel with only one other product? I really have no idea, just throwing things out there.

I've been trying to speed up my drying process when I rollerset. I bought some ear protectors so my ears don't burn, but my scalp will have to get used to the higher heat. I also used less product to set, but sat under the steamer for the full hour (I usually get up after 30 minutes) so my hair was super moisturized form my DC. I find that if I really get my hair feeling good at that step (when I can rinse out the loads of product and oil on my hair) I can use less during the styling routine.

I just organized my "hair cabinet" underneath the sink and I want to cry.

I really have found the products that work well with my hair and regimen, but looking at the products I bought, used once or twice, and don't have a use for in the foreseeable future makes me want ALL of my money back.

I need a shampoo, DC, protein DC, conditioner (or leave-in, they're interchangeable for me), oil, moisturizer, and butter. That's it. And I've found products in all those categories that I love, are readily available on the ground (except my moisturizer and butter), and work for my hair and budget.

But what about all these other products?! Some have never been opened (I have a tendency to buy multiples) and others are half used. I'll see what I can send to my mom/sister, donate, or what has to be trashed. I just don't want them in my house anymore. Maybe I can put them on the exchange forum? Just need to pay for shipping.

I feel better about my regimen. I was so anxious for my hair to grow out again that I was trying any and everything. Now that's it's reached a length where I can handle it and I know it's growing, a lot of that stuff can go out the window. I will continue with Hairfinity at least through the end of the year because I don't find them a bother to take and I think they help with my overall hair health.

@Tibbar

Your eco-custard sounds super moisturizing, but it's probably what kept your hair so moist. Maybe you could apply less product and try again? Or maybe mix the gel with only one other product? I really have no idea, just throwing things out there.

toaster
I think you are right about the custard keeping my hair wet. I actually unbraided my hair tonight and it was STILL damp! I've never had that happen before. I split each of the braids into 3 quick twists. Much larger than I usually do but they will work for tomorrow and Friday. I may re-do my hair this weekend. There was a lot of definition in my semi-braidout even though my hair was still wet, so I think this custard I concocted may work for me.

I really have found the products that work well with my hair and regimen, but looking at the products I bought, used once or twice, and don't have a use for in the foreseeable future makes me want ALL of my money back.

I need a shampoo, DC, protein DC, conditioner (or leave-in, they're interchangeable for me), oil, moisturizer, and butter. That's it. And I've found products in all those categories that I love, are readily available on the ground (except my moisturizer and butter), and work for my hair and budget.

But what about all these other products?! Some have never been opened (I have a tendency to buy multiples) and others are half used. I'll see what I can send to my mom/sister, donate, or what has to be trashed. I just don't want them in my house anymore. Maybe I can put them on the exchange forum? Just need to pay for shipping.

I feel better about my regimen. I was so anxious for my hair to grow out again that I was trying any and everything. Now that's it's reached a length where I can handle it and I know it's growing, a lot of that stuff can go out the window. I will continue with Hairfinity at least through the end of the year because I don't find them a bother to take and I think they help with my overall hair health.

Hey see if you can get back at least some of your money for them, why give them away??

I've been doing really well for the last couple of weeks with keeping my hair in twist and buns. I've only worn my puff like twice! Here are some of the styles I've been rocking.

Attachments

• image-3752980788.jpg
    image-3752980788.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image-760947444.jpg
    image-760947444.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 98
  • image-222220169.jpg
    image-222220169.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2238985766.jpg
    image-2238985766.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 89

You should put them on the exchange board first and then give away what you can't sell. Don't just ask for shipping either. Set a real price. Check out EnExitStage's post. That will give you an idea of some ways to sell it.

You can use the money you make to stock up on your staples.

I agree with some of the other Ladies about selling the un-opened and even some open ones on the exchange forum. You can also donate some to a women's center if you have one around you. We have this place downtown called Rachel's Closet/Rachel's Women Center where they encourage you to donate hair stuff, women's clothes, personal hygeine items etc. My daughter and I donate a few times a year. Speaking of which I have a few boxes of stuff in my garage that I need to drop off before the baby comes. lol

If you have conditioners, you can use those up as pre-poo's.

Last edited:
Currently doing an all day pre-shampoo treatment. Tonight I will clarify then do a medium protein treatment and an overnight deep condition in preperation for my salon visit this weekend. I had plans on getting a style to last 2 weeks but decided on getting some cornrows with extensions instead. My hair and I are going on a super vacation for about 5-6 months or pretty much towards late fall. I'll be taking the cornrows out in 6-8 weeks, do a hard protein treatment and let it rest in buns for a month, then getting some senegalese twists installed for 10-12 weeks. I'll be back with pics this weekend.

Braided style for the next 6-8 weeks or however long I can keep these babies in. She used maybe 1/2 pack of braiding hair as I wanted them as light as possible. Most of this is my hair y'all! *Giggles*

Last edited:
Looks really good lulu97 and charmtreese!

toaster you definitely need to sell those products. Trust me, someone will buy 'em.

As for me. I've been doing really lazy styles. Usually putting my hair up in two large braids or large twists. Today I did a protein treatment, dced, tension blowdried and did some small flat twists in the front going back into a bun. Will rock this for a week or two (if the flat twists still look decent).

Froreal3

I promised myself I would learn to flat twist by the end of June. I haven't even attempted one. I will try this week sometime for sure, because they always make such cute styles.

I have been doing my hair twice a week to keep my scalp hydrated, but I have worn the same style for the entire month of April. It has paid off.

First, it keeps things simple so I don't have to think about how I'm going to style my hair so it takes me less time.

I've also gotten faster since I'm doing the same thing each time.

The flat twist have also been a style that allow me to wash 2x a week because I can fit it into my schedule.

My hair is up and away so I just have to spritz and not stress over it.

It keeps my damaged ends tucked in so they aren't drying out between washes.

With my shrinkage it is really hard to tell whether my hair has grown and retained or not and how much. However by wearing the same style for a month I know I have retained. At the beginning of April the twist in the back did not and could not meet the twist in the front not matter what I did. Last night I was able to gather all the twist in the center to band them together. Still a struggle but it's possible.

I will be repeating the exact same thing for May. :yep: This is my version of hiding my hair.

Looked at my beginning picture. It's pretty much the same style, I'm just making my twist bigger now.

FTFr1.jpg

FTLt1.jpg

FTRT1.jpg

FTTop1.jpg
ME

I will probably wear it like the above until it is long enough to wear it like the pic below. I need a few more inches to even get close to pinning it like this.

FutureUpdo.jpg
NOT ME :lol:

Last edited:
faithVA That is gorgeous! I love the way it looks from the back. You have skills and I'm so glad you're retaining length. It's nice when you can do something you were unable to do before.

Eta: I mean in the pics when you're showing us the side/back view. It's pretty! The picture of the style you're hoping to achieve is gorgeous as well!

[USER=388763 said:
toaster[/USER];20013409]faithVA

That is gorgeous! I love the way it looks from the back. You have skills and I'm so glad you're retaining length. It's nice when you can do something you were unable to do before.

:lol: The gorgeous one from the back isn't mine. It is what I'm shooting for. My hair isn't long enough for that one just yet.

But I am working on my skills. :yep: Hopefully as it gets longer it will be easier.

faithVA That is gorgeous! I love the way it looks from the back. You have skills and I'm so glad you're retaining length. It's nice when you can do something you were unable to do before.

Eta: I mean in the pics when you're showing us the side/back view. It's pretty! The picture of the style you're hoping to achieve is gorgeous as well!

We were typing at the same time :lol: I'm too lazy to take pics of the back of my head :sad: I have this new fancy phone and my pictures still suck.

:lol: The gorgeous one from the back isn't mine. It is what I'm shooting for. My hair isn't long enough for that one just yet. But I am working on my skills. :yep: Hopefully as it gets longer it will be easier.

I'm just trying to accomplish two flat twists straight back, so I think yours are so pretty! Angles make it look so fancy. Ha.

I'm just trying to accomplish two flat twists straight back, so I think yours are so pretty! Angles make it look so fancy. Ha.

Thank You.

Just start with something small. When you do your rollerset, just do two small flat twists on the side. Just practice with those two. Or try doing a flat twists on one side going back and put the rest in a bun. I practice different things on one section of my hair for months before I try to do it. I'm doing that with cornrowing.

The hardest part about flat twisting is being patient enough to fix the parts. Last night I was like, hmph, that's straight enough.

You have enough hair and its long enough to do some fabulous flat twists styles :yep:

Your hair looks good! I can't even do that with my TTWWA. Lol. Like I've said before, you really are inspiring.

Looked at my beginning picture. It's pretty much the same style, I'm just making my twist bigger now.

ME

I will probably wear it like the above until it is long enough to wear it like the pic below. I need a few more inches to even get close to pinning it like this.

NOT ME :lol:

I'm 1 week into my scalp braids and life has been easy peezy. I've been spritzing them every 2-3 days with my rosewater/glycerin spray and my scalp and hair feels great. If anyone is having issues with moisture, I would highly recommend this stuff. I gotta go back to Whole Foods and pick up a few more bottles!

In other news: I wanted my daughter to oil my scalp with coconut oil and she went to open the jar and it slipped out of her hand and spilled all over the floor. It has been so hot in my house so yes it was liquified. Crap!!!! So sometime this week, I'm going to go to Walgreens or Target and pick up some Shea moisture elixir spray. I used to loooooove that stuff...bonus is it's in a spray bottle so I can just spray it once a week and go. Coconut oil and I will not be friends again until I am back roller setting towards the end of the year. lol

Update: I found some argan oil in my body product stash so I just added it to my rosewater spray. No need to buy a new product now. woot woot

Last edited:
I wore my hair down several days last week and felt paranoid the whole time. Since figuring out how to bun without damaging my hair, I don't need to trim as frequently so I'm finally, finally seeing some progress.

I wanted to wear my hair down and enjoy it a bit. Mission accomplished. Back to my buns.

Been bunting this baby up for the last few weeks and plan to continue. Once they look half-way decent I will post pictures.

Sticking to flat twist on wash day is really working for me. And since it only takes me about an hour I don't have an issue taking them out in 3 or 4 days but they are also now lasting if I need to make it 5 days or more.

PH balancing my spritz is also helping me retain moisture and doesn't cause my twist to frizz or look dull.

I don't have a big occasion until mid August. Let's see if I can keep my hair tucked away until then and maybe I will have a decent reveal in August.

I still have 3 more weeks before I can change styles. The holiday weekend will be perfect timing.

Back