*2012* Crown & Glory BootCamp Challenge!!!

So the tree braids didn't work out. Since my hair is so short, the places where it is really soft/fine (nape/perimeter), the braids begin slipping & I had way too much fuzz. I took them out 2 days shy of 3 weeks.

Also, she had to use more tension to catch my hair up & I think I got a wee amount of hairline damage. For now I'm babying & using castor oil/sulfur. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

I'm open to suggestions. In the almost 3 weeks that I had the braids, I got over 1/4" but less than 1/2" in growth. Trying to amp up my topical growth aids. I'm going hard for that infamous inch per month.

Still rocking my tree braids. I'll probably keep them in for a few more weeks then, I'll probably get another set of these.

nakialoveshoes, that is good progress, it's takes me about 5-6weeks inorder to get an 1/2inch. I would love to get more growth in a shorter period of time. I'm not good at sticking with growth aids. I did however buy two bottles of kelp since I read on here that kelp also help with rapid growth, so I shall see:yep:

@nakialoveshoes, that is good progress, it's takes me about 5-6weeks inorder to get an 1/2inch. I would love to get more growth in a shorter period of time. I'm not good at sticking with growth aids. I did however buy two bottles of kelp since I read on here that kelp also help with rapid growth, so I shall see:yep:

Firstborn2 Thanks - it usually takes me 4 weeks to get 1/2 inch. In the past, I've successfully achieved an inch in a month with MT, MN & the GroAut line.

Right now I'm using a sulfur mix. My plan is to use the sulfur for 30 days & then switch to a MT/MN mix. I'm going to try & do the ones that I know work for 30 days at a time & keep switching with hopes that my hair won't get immune.

I am wearing my short flip wig by Midway for the next 4 weeks but for Christmas, I will be rocking my curly Zury wig named Singer.It is gorgeous on me but if you saw it on the website, it leaves much to be desired. When I tried it on at the BSS, the sales girls said it looked just like my own hair. I will probably be taking a pic of it when I start to wear it next month. I can't wait!

Last edited:
I'm in! My hair hasn't done as well as it did when I joined the 2010 braid challenge. I'm trying to get back on target for BSL (and longer in 2012).

Starting pic: pixie braids put in 11/17...wet in this pic
IMG_5324-vi.jpg

length check dec 2011
IMG_5385-vi.jpg

mirror is filthy, sry.

Last edited:
Hmmm my hair doesn't do well with leaving it in plaits for more than 3 weeks. It gets matted something horrible and takes 6 hours to detangle. I'm going to have to figure something else out or this challenge is not going to work out for me as I thought. Sigh....

Had mini kinky twists in for 5 weeks (which is good for me). I am getting tree braids tomorrow night. Will keep these in for 4 weeks then straighten and trim for the holidays. Will post my official starting pick for the challenge then.

I think I will be GHE baggying my hair under my wig while at work today. I like how my hair feels after wearing it like this nice and soft:lick:.

Please add me although I have been doing this method without even knowing it, with thremendous results. For the past 20mos. since my BC my hair has grown from 3" twa(necklength) to brushing MBL super excited to share the same success with other folks.

I twist my hair 100% of the time even underneath my Betsy(wig's name)
sometimes I cover the twist with her, often times I don't.
I prepoo before I do anything with Tresseme Naturals or GVP Matrix Biolage and EVOO. (mostly overnight)
I wash on or about the 1st of each mo, detangle and retwist immediately.
I co-wash the middle of the mo. in twist
Dc when I co-wash and wash, with Alter Ego or GVP Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm(under steamer)
Leave-in with Kimmaytube recipe
Protein w/Aphogee 2 min. or Moroccan Oil Restorative Mask
Oil my scalp 2x/week with oil mix-1oz. Sublime sulfur to 8oz. JBCO
I spray my hair with spritz mixed w/water, lil vegetable glycerin or aloe vera and seal ends 2-3x a week or when needed.

miscallaneouses
I will do a weave install at least 1x cuz I'm bound to get sick of my hair.
I will trim 1x in the middle of the year.
I will do the baggy/GHE method every now and then nightly for a whole mo.(did that last mo. and retained an inch)
Will experiment with more styling of my twist now that they're longer, may even try mini twist.

Attachments

• Big Chop.jpg
    Big Chop.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Big Chop4.jpg
    Big Chop4.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 45
  • me6.jpg
    me6.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 51
  • length check3 10.01.jpg
    length check3 10.01.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I bought braid hair today, I might start this challenge December 1. I just have to decide whether to start with Senegalese twists or individual braids, hmm.......

Ive been in these kinky twists for 3 weeks now...5 more weeks to go. They are still looking pretty good (even though I dont tie my hair up...oops).

First set of tree braids ever and I'm LOVING them so far. This may be go to protective style.

Sorry for the glare.

Attachments

• IMG-20111123-00058.jpg
    IMG-20111123-00058.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-20111123-00056.jpg
    IMG-20111123-00056.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 46
Hey ladies, ssoooooooooo, its been a long month! First of all, I'm having some kind of weird skin reaction all over my face and neck. Idk what its from and I'm sitting at the Dermatologist office as I type this from my phone!! I'm praying that its not from the synthetic haired wigs I've been wearing, or worse yet my MN/SULPHUR mixture!!!!!!! *sniffle sniffle* but besides that I've still been rocking these cornrows. I just took out the last set (4weeks) and I had ANOTHER setback!!!!!! *sucks teeth* I completely forgot about the differences in texture between my front hair and the back. My back texture is more similar to 3c/4a, very fine, and it CANNOT stay braided or twisted more than a week at a time w/o turning into a knotty mess!!!! *sigh* as u can guess I left it on for the entire 4 weeks, and when I went to take the cornrows down, my hair in the back was horrible trying to detangle! That's at least 1/2-1 inch GONE!! I could kick myself......... Sorry for the out burst I just had to vent. Newayz, I'll keep everyone updated on what the doctor says. I don't wanna get rid of my precious wigs, and I don't have the money to buy human hair wigs right now!!!!!!! Ggggggrrr! What's a girl to do??!

eocceas Um, I think you can go ahead & claim MBL. Your hair is gorgeous. Congrats!

sunbubbles Sorry to hear about your skin issues. I hope everything is okay. When you get a chance please share your MN/sulfur recipe, if you don't mind. TIA...

Even though the tree braids didn't work, I figured out that my hair is long enough to do lil celie plaits. The ones in my nape and around the perimeter keep unraveling but for the most part it's holding up pretty nicely.

I put on a stocking cap over them when I wash & co-wash. That's helping to keep the style from completely unraveling.

I'll be rocking these plaits under wigs & headwraps indefinitely.

Stats: Last relaxer, Dec. 9, 2010. Current length: Between APL & BSL( will update this when I cut at least an inch off next month)
Regi: Weekly= prepoo w/ a mix of EVOO & Tresamme' Naturals - silicone free overnight. Wash w/ Suave clarifying shampoo, condition w/ TN, DC w/ ORS for an hour. Rinse & apply my leave ins, let air dry & style.
Styles: For this challenge I plan on PSing w/ tree braids & cornrows. Switching between the two every 2-3months. (will keep u posted if I come up w/ any other PS)
Pics:
a6934ed1-1d23-ded2.jpg

Combed out
a6934ed1-1d3e-848b.jpg

Curl pattern,no product, freshly washed
a6934ed1-1de0-4544.jpg

freshly washed..sorry bout the blk top :-(
a6934ed1-1df9-0612.jpg

Curl pattern,no product, freshly washed

Sent from my iPhone, HHG~

I'm still wearing my short pixie wig that's in my siggy over 4 large plaits. I moisturize daily and baggy a few times a week to keep my hair ultra soft.

I am 13 weeks post my last texlaxer and keeping it soft is fast becoming a chore this deep into the stretch.

I want to texlax and hendigo it again in another 2 weeks or so. Yeah, my grays are also coming in fierce now too.

Aggie if I'm not being too nosey, how often do you henna for your grays and do you like the results better than permanent hair dyes? I only ask because I've recently notice that I have more gray sprouting up throughout my head. I know I will have to start coloring sooner or later. TIA

@Aggie if I'm not being too nosey, how often do you henna for your grays and do you like the results better than permanent hair dyes? I only ask because I've recently notice that I have more gray sprouting up throughout my head. I know I will have to start coloring sooner or later. TIA

Firstborn2, When I wore my hair out daily, I henna'ed my hair once a month but now that I am wearing a wig as a PS, I only use henna and indigo right after I texlax it.

I have never used a commercial dye on my hair - too scared to try it. I do however :love: the effects of henna and indigo on my hair. I can't stop staring at it and touching it when I do. The shine is just out of this world, the color is super pretty and it doesn't bleed.

I don't ever want to be without my henna and indigo. The process is long but hey, my hair deserves the love:yep:.

I'm still wearing my short pixie wig that's in my siggy over 4 large plaits. I moisturize daily and baggy a few times a week to keep my hair ultra soft.

I am 13 weeks post my last texlaxer and keeping it soft is fast becoming a chore this deep into the stretch.

I want to texlax and hendigo it again in another 2 weeks or so. Yeah, my grays are also coming in fierce now too.

@Aggie if I'm not being too nosey, how often do you henna for your grays and do you like the results better than permanent hair dyes? I only ask because I've recently notice that I have more gray sprouting up throughout my head. I know I will have to start coloring sooner or later. TIA

Aggie Firstborn2
Hey ladies. Have either of you ever taken Fo-ti root consistently? It is good for gray hairs & will even reverse them.

I was taking it consistently for a while because it supposedly extends the growth phase of hair. Back then I knew nothing about it helping with grays. One time I ran out & never did go get anymore. Sure enough I started getting grays, whereas I hadn't had any before.

Im in! I love being in braids. There is a lot going on in my daily life so its hard for me to be creative and like what I see. I am notorious for straight back conrows. I love, Love, LOVE them!!!!

I will be back in them next week and those will last me until the end of the year. My mom is having surgery and I have to drive home to help out, not the best hair situation to be in. If its not in braids I will twist it around my fingers and play in it while I am in the waiting room. That is not good for the strands.

@Aggie @Firstborn2
Hey ladies. Have either of you ever taken Fo-ti root consistently? It is good for gray hairs & will even reverse them.

I was taking it consistently for a while because it supposedly extends the growth phase of hair. Back then I knew nothing about it helping with grays. One time I ran out & never did go get anymore. Sure enough I started getting grays, whereas I hadn't had any before.

nakialovesshoes, girl thank you for the reminder!!!:yep: you are so right about the Fo-Ti. Although I have never taken it, I had a coworker who swore by it. I had done some research and sure enough it does reverse grays. I would much rather take the vitamins than dye my hair..

Hey ladies, ssoooooooooo, its been a long month! First of all, I'm having some kind of weird skin reaction all over my face and neck. Idk what its from and I'm sitting at the Dermatologist office as I type this from my phone!! I'm praying that its not from the synthetic haired wigs I've been wearing, or worse yet my MN/SULPHUR mixture!!!!!!! *sniffle sniffle* but besides that I've still been rocking these cornrows. I just took out the last set (4weeks) and I had ANOTHER setback!!!!!! *sucks teeth* I completely forgot about the differences in texture between my front hair and the back. My back texture is more similar to 3c/4a, very fine, and it CANNOT stay braided or twisted more than a week at a time w/o turning into a knotty mess!!!! *sigh* as u can guess I left it on for the entire 4 weeks, and when I went to take the cornrows down, my hair in the back was horrible trying to detangle! That's at least 1/2-1 inch GONE!! I could kick myself......... Sorry for the out burst I just had to vent. Newayz, I'll keep everyone updated on what the doctor says. I don't wanna get rid of my precious wigs, and I don't have the money to buy human hair wigs right now!!!!!!! Ggggggrrr! What's a girl to do??!

Sunbubbles sry to hear about the setback and skin reaction. But if I could maybe suggest trying (if u don't already) b4 taking down the braids put a good amount of conditioner the night b4 if u can and let it marinate nice and good over night. Then when u unbraid it detangle each braid separately. Also I was going to do a review on this conditioner I just tried over the weekend and I have found my new Holy Grail! I could not believe how easy it was to detangle my hair. I could literally run the comb through my 4a hair in 1-3 passes, with minimal hair left on the comb. What normally takes me an 1hr-1 1/2 took me ab 25 min. and left my hair super soft. it's the generic brand of Biolage...it's GVP Matrix Biolage Conditionjng Balm You should give it a try maybe it will do the trick...good luck.

Back