*2012* Crown & Glory BootCamp Challenge!!!

Oh man I'm so in!
Have been doing this unofficially, but this will motivate me.
i'll be primarily using box braids without extensions. I may add a wig for the colder months.
we'll see!

Oops! There's only 30 days in June and September.

Good Luck Everyone! I know you'll be successful in 2012!

Pompous Blue, LMBO! Obviously I missed that whole month and days learning thing in kindergarten! Thanks for reminding me cause I would have been mad, like "why didn't nobody post their updates on June 31st!!!!!!??" *hands in hip*

Oh yeah, I'm in this challenge sunbubbles plz add me. I've been in braids since the end of august and I've already vowed to wear them until the end of next year, after having a major set back this summer. I'm hoping I will be able to claim BSL when it's all said and done. I plan on wearing natural braids, snythetic braids and eventually a weave at some point during this challenge.

I'm in! Like Sunbubbles, I am a bit lazy when it comes to my hair right about now and have been for the entire year so this is the perfect challenge for me at this time. I will primarily wearing my hair braided up and worn under mostly wigs. I may interchange them with weaves but not sure yet.

Aggie hey lady, I've missed you up in here. Glad to see you're back. Hope all is well with you and your beautiful head of hair. I'm glad that I've got you in this challenge for inspiratation and support.

Let's go hard for 2012. Even if we're feeling a little lazy at times.

im in~was already going to do this in the next week or so once my LW is shipped to me. it will be great to share with everyone instead of doing it solo. shooting for WL by 2013.

I got some tree braids done today. I'm definitely in on this one. I have a TWA right now & am shooting for WL by 9-24-14 (my 40th b-day). I'll be rebraiding the week before Christmas & every 10 weeks after that.

I'm trying to keep my routine simple b/c I don't want build up to hinder my progress. The plan is to moisturize my own hair at night w/a mix of water & a little AV. I'll DC w/diluted cond once every 2 weeks & cleanse my scalp w/ACV once a week.

Even though this is my plan, if anyone sees anything wrong with it & wants to make suggestions, I'm open. TIA...

I'M IN.

Only FOUR length checks a year? I think that's GREAT. I need it because I'm a serial length checker.

I'll do PICS and reggie before the 31st (as long as I don't forget!!).

I'm in. I pretty much had planned to braid my hair and wig it until done with nursing school in 2013. This challenge will just motivate me and keep me on track.

I'll post mt reggie and starting pics (of my fro and straightened hair) in December.

Starting early. I got these done yesterday. I forgot to take a length shot before she started but my hair will almost touch my eyebrow in the front. The gap in the back isn't on purpose. I didn't know until after the pic. And yes I realize I have a plastic baggy line going across my forehead. :look:

@NJoy

Front Tree Braids.jpgBack Tree Braids.jpg

i am so in this challenge.
i bc'd in august of this year and i struggled with my natural hair at first. then, two weeks ago i found the PERFECT regimen for me:
once a week i shampoo my hair with any shampoo. there isn't that much choice where i live and i have not been able to find a sulfate-free shampoo. i make sure to rinse it out very well.
i condition with either garnier fructis or a herbal essences conditioner. i rinse, repeat and rinse. i wash my hair in twist and detangle before washing by the way. after conditioner i gently towel-dry excess water. then i spray my mix of glycerin, water, and coconut oil to each section, run a comb through, and follow that with the herbal essences twist gel before twisting each section. sometimes i'll use the neutrogena triple moisture leave-in instead of the gel.
my twists air-dry, and they are so soft and moist when dry.
i baggy every single night - just wrap my head in cling-wrap and go to bed.
i don't need to use product between washes. my hair is always soft and moist.
i'l upload pics of my twists soon as possible.

Last edited:
I was supposed to be in the HYH challenge and while I did wear wigs 95% of the time I rarely checked in. I'm currently in extensions and will be taking them out in December. By then I'll be able to give stats.

@nakialovesshoes: Wow your braids are nice! About how long will they/do they typically last? Can this be done on extremely thick hair that is almost APL? I'm wondering b/c I have box braids in now after a looooooooong hiatus from braids and I like the way your braids look!

@nakialovesshoes: Wow your braids are nice! About how long will they/do they typically last? Can this be done on extremely thick hair that is almost APL? I'm wondering b/c I have box braids in now after a looooooooong hiatus from braids and I like the way your braids look!

@justicefighter1913 Thanks. The length of time kept in really depends on the person & what they're doing to their hair. The style is basically just cornrows going to the back with bulk hair sprouting out. If you are applying a lot of oils or products that will cause build up then I would say that you shouldn't leave them in any longer than 6 weeks.

I knew someone that transitioned & grew her natural hair out for about 3 years using the tree braids & she kept hers for 3 months at a time. But she didn't put anything on her hair & probably only washed once a month, if that.

I won't be using oils. For moisture, I'm rinsing daily in the shower with plain water & baggying nightly with an AV, glycerin & water mix. I'll be cleansing my scalp once a week with diluted ACV & DCing with diluted cond. I will keep mine no longer than 10 weeks at a time.

Also, length doesn't matter. When I first started getting tree braids years ago, I was thick, natural & APL or so. Also, I asked my braider what was the longest hair she had done tree braids on and she has done them on MBL hair before so I don't think length/thickness matters.

I'm in -

4 lots of braiding sessions (8 weeks per session) have got me to my current length(in my siggy) so looking forward to seeing where i'll be after another 4. Braiding is definitely a guaranteed hair growth and retention mechanism for me - but in the past i have braided until i am shoulder length and then relaxed my hair only for it to eventually shed and break before starting the whole process again. This time the plan is to braid until I am APL/BSL before wearing my own hair out. Assuming all goes well, I will not be relaxing again.

@Aggie hey lady, I've missed you up in here. Glad to see you're back. Hope all is well with you and your beautiful head of hair. I'm glad that I've got you in this challenge for inspiratation and support.

Let's go hard for 2012. Even if we're feeling a little lazy at times.

ojemba, girl it's good to be back too:grin:. I gatta admit, I missed you ladies as well and I know I have been MIA for ions but I have been lurking a few times but hardly posting. I have been so incredibly busy as of late and trying to get back in the swing of taking care of my hair and body again. This is a wonderful boost in the right direction:yep:. I will give this one some real effort.

:curtain:

I want to join! I did the Crown and Glory method while transitioning and I had great growth and retention. I hoping to finally make APL or even BSL in 2012.:look: I'm currently wearing tree braids until New Years.

Just a couple of questions for you ladies who wear braids (specifically with extenstions) for long periods of time.

1) How long were they kept in?
2) What's a safe amount of time to break between installations?

.... Also could someone please tell me how to upload pics. I will probably be starting the challenge this weekend cause I am tired of dealing with the two textures on my head. I am transitioning and I am 26 weeks post.

TIA

I am in! I am not going to have time to do my hair regularly for a while. so...I will alternate between extensions or just my hair (probably under wigs) - mostly in extensions. I was planning to put my hair up in yarn braids for a month so I will have loose hair for the initial check in.

I would love to join. I currently have box braids under my wig and that's pretty much how it will be until the end of 2012! I am hoping to be bsl by then with full/thick edges!

I have been doing this for about 1-2 months now. It is working for me. I am newly natural and would like to grow my hair out from this twa.

I have been wearing 2 braids going back or in mini twist. When I go out I wear my wigs or my 2 braids. Don't like my mini twist. I will post a pic at the end of the year.

As for as my regi. I wash my hair once a month, cowash once a week. I DC my hair every week. I also do a protein treatment at least 1-2x a month. (depends on my hair needs) I moisture and seal as needed.

:curtain:

I want to join! I did the Crown and Glory method while transitioning and I had great growth and retention. I hoping to finally make APL or even BSL in 2012.:look: I'm currently wearing tree braids until New Years.

Platinum Hey my treebraid trucker sister. I love yours. Please tell me what hair was used. I'm already looking for different hair for when I rebraid right before Christmas.

Also, how long are you keeping yours & what's your routine while you have them in?

I :think: I need a new whole head wig. I've grown bored with the ones I have but I only like them really short right now. I want to get my friends and relatives accustomed to seeing me with short hair so that when I finally do my reveal at the end of next year, it would :shocked: everyone:happydance:.

I'm so in! I'm so close to APL , I just wanna make it, soon! I've been in braids/twists since april, and it's definitely helped with retention, I will post updated stats when I take my current senegalese twists out x

Platinum Hey my treebraid trucker sister. I love yours. Please tell me what hair was used. I'm already looking for different hair for when I rebraid right before Christmas.

Also, how long are you keeping yours & what's your routine while you have them in?

nakialovesshoes Hey! I used Milky Way Wet and Wavy Human Hair. I plan to keep these in for about 8-10 weeks.

I cowash 3-4 times a week (maybe less in colder months)
oil my scalp with a light oil or Wild Growth Oil
moisturize every night with African Royale BRX braid spray followed by Surge 14 (or Infusium 23)

I had no problems with breakage or excessive split end when I used this regimen.

I've gotten off to an eraly start and got kinky twists done yesterday. I'm gonna keep these in until the official start of this challenge.

Back