2009 LHCF BOOTCAMP

I'm ging to start at the begining of April. My main hair styles will be twist outs and sew-ins. I'm so excited!!

I am going to commit to 3!! sessions of LHCF Bootcamp. My consequence for violating Bootcamp Rules will be NO SWEETS FOR A WEEK!!!.

Oh I hope I can do this:spinning:

Checking in. I've been doing pretty good. I either wear wigs or ponytails or twists/twistouts. Wash once a week and dc at least twice. I haven't trimmed in forever so I will be getting one tomorrow. I'll also be getting my hair flat ironed so I guess that'll be my pass for this session.

Checking in...

I am doing well...used one pass to flat iron Feb 11th after taking down twists. I have also dusted...not trimmed yet. My ends look good and I really don't want to trim for real until June.

I will have new progress pics in a couple of weeks. I am getting a corrective relaxer (6 weeks later) to do the job right that I did sooooo poorly Feb 11th. I really hope she gets it bone straight. I won't be flat ironing either. She'll wet set with a soft gel that I am taking with me. lol *bad girl, Christi!*

I'm really pleased to find that this challenge is going well for me. I thought it would be really, really hard.

I am set to get box braids again April 15th...

HHG, everyone!
cj

Still hanging in there ladies, I have NOT trim yet, like I said I will post a picture first getting you alls opinion on it or how much I should take off. That will be my free pass.

Last edited:
checking in, not having a good time with this, would like encouragement /ideas. Ive been getting my hair straighted every 2 weeks since i was 11. You always hear about transistioning from relaxed to natural, never about the straight natural to the naturally curly natural. I tried roller setting and it never looks good always puffy roots and such :( i use a hair butter(shescentit) that does make it soft but never feels moisturized and looks blah and dry and leave in's just dry my hair out, im close to using the flat iron but im trying to lay off . i just want to embrace my natural texture... i dont know its hard, oh well

Checking in. I've been under a weave for sometime now...so I've been lurking and I have no update pics since the ones in my Sig from December, but I should have some soon. I've been DC and Moisturizing in the meantime. And using BT (when I rememer, :blush:) lol. Talk to ya next check in!

Checking in...

Still wearing my small twist. Keeping my hair moisturized w/ my herbal spray and seal w/ oils and shea butter mix. My twist are 10days old now. Trying to make it to 2 weeks before I take them out.

checking in, not having a good time with this, would like encouragement /ideas. Ive been getting my hair straighted every 2 weeks since i was 11. You always hear about transistioning from relaxed to natural, never about the straight natural to the naturally curly natural. I tried roller setting and it never looks good always puffy roots and such :( i use a hair butter(shescentit) that does make it soft but never feels moisturized and looks blah and dry and leave in's just dry my hair out, im close to using the flat iron but im trying to lay off . i just want to embrace my natural texture... i dont know its hard, oh well

You bring up a good point. Your post reminded me of how I felt the 1st time I transitioned from relaxers to natural hair. Even though you are not transitioning from chemical services you are still learning about your hair and its likes and dislikes. That's what I went through also. It was very frustrating and I spent a lot of money trying to find the right products for my hair.

What's your current regimen? You only may need to tweak it to get the results you want.

Even though I'm not natural anymore I still have to treat my new growth and the demarcation point with TLC. Have you tried setting your hair with bantu knots instead of rollers? I tried a roller set too and my roots were puffy also. I will be at 12 weeks post Mar 31st and I'm having good results with bantu knot sets. My uneven hair is (at it's longest point) grazing my collar bone. When my hair is damp (post DC) I apply my leave-in then put 3 bantu knots per quadrant in my hair. So when I'm finished I have a total of 12 bantu knots in my hair. The reason why I set it when it's damp is because it takes a long time to dry - even with my soft bonnet dryer. In the morning I get a nice curly set.

At night I bantu knot my hair again and cover with a silk scarf. If my hair feels dry then I apply a little bit of the Aussie leave-in conditioner. I only apply a little bit or my hair will be damp in the morning.

Hang in there. You will figure out what your hair needs to look and feel healthy.

Just checking in. Yesterday, I spent the day taking out this semi knotted sew-in out of my hair. I only had it in for two weeks. I know there was some damage to my ends but I am cool, since I never wear my hair out anyways. I will wig it(grrr) till the end of this session and then put in some braids for session 2.

eta- it did feel heavier and longer when I washed today :)

Hi ladies,

I've been a LHCF lurker for years but have just paid for the membership today specifically so that I can join this challenge. I have neglected my hair this past year or two since I've left the States and it shows!!! So I basically need to start over fresh and this is the perfect motivator :).

That being said, starting with the April session...

I am going to commit to 3 sessions of LHCF Bootcamp. My consequence for violating Bootcamp Rules will be 45 minutes on the stationary bike for 2 weeks. I am excited to see the hair progress I will make by participating in this challenge!!

I do not have a starting pic now but I will have one posted by April 1.

Last edited:
Hi ladies,

I've been a LHCF lurker for years but have just paid for the membership today specifically so that I can join this challenge. I have neglected my hair this past year or two since I've left the States and it shows!!! So I basically need to start over fresh and this is the perfect motivator :).

That being said, starting with the April session...

I am going to commit to 3 sessions of LHCF Bootcamp. My consequence for violating Bootcamp Rules will be 45 minutes on the stationary bike for 2 weeks. I am excited to see the hair progress I will make by participating in this challenge!!

I do not have a starting pic now but I will have one posted by April 1.

Welcome to LHCF & bootcamp! :)

Hi Mia,
I hope I can offer a bit of encouragement. I have been natural for 13 years and during that time I pressed my hair every day. I joined this Bootcamp in January and have not used heat since. I have gotten to know my hair--what it likes and what it dislikes. The products that work best for me are Guarnier Fructis Length and Strength Shampoo and Conditioner. Pantene Restoratives Anti-Breakage Shampoo and Conditioner. Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 Moisturizer and Wild Growth Oil. When it's really cold outside, I use a little Castor Oil instead. The most important thing I learned was to embrace the hair I have and to love it no matter what. I know that my hair is healthier now that I am not frying it everyday. By the way, it only takes minutes rather than an hour or more to do my hair in the morning. Iwill post updated pics at the end of the month.

Mia, don't give up--it will get better.

UPDATE:

I dont have a pic for the end of the first session. I did use my 1 pass and it was this past Saturday for a dusting. But I felt so guilty for using heat as soon as I got home I CW and DCed.:spinning: I promise you it was a light dusting less that half an inch.

I am transitiong (or a really long stretch) so I wont have many pics. I am staying on track and I will be ready for the big reveal at the end of the year. I am keeping on track and I dont think I will use another pass since I am in braids mostly and when not in braids I am wigging it.

Just checking in. I've been doing very good with the rules. I plan on using my pass to straighten my hair at the end of the month.

Have not broken any rules yet. Shall use my heat pass at the end of the month. It has been 11wks since my last relaxer and I hope that I can go for the rest of the year without a relaxer.

Checking in.....braid outs this week, maybe a roller set next week.....we'll see b/c I am loving the braid out look...its my first time!!!

Attachments

• PICT0033.jpg
    PICT0033.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2
  • PICT0025.jpg
    PICT0025.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2
So today, I used my heat pass...i got a relaxer and here is a pic...oh yeah, I went to jc penney and got an affirm...I lied and said that I was getting braids so I did not want her to style it. I left with wet hair and I came home and did a deep condition with queen helene conditioner with some redken cat reconstuctor(protein); honey; olive oil. I sat under hair dryer for 15 min... went to class came back and blow fried:ohwell: and flat ironed...i am happy now!!! My bangs are longer and the back is ssooooo nice!! I will be good by the end of the year!!!

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 11
  • hair1.jpg
    hair1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 14
  • hair2.jpg
    hair2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 13
I wish I did not have to do this...but I have to drop out of this challenge. I wish I could continue, but I BC today because I don't want to grow to my desired length with a relaxer.

So...I did waaay more than dusting. :blush: Please forgive me, but for my hair, it is best...should have done it last year. I have all healthy hair now, no thin or broken hairs, and it's stronger than it was....though much shorter...bottom of EL when stretched.

Is there any way I can keep on with the challenge with where I am now? If not, I understand. Please advise.

If this is goodbye, then I wish everyone much success, and I'll still kind of lurk and will post my progress at the end of the year anyway since I started out with you guys. Let me know...

Hope everyone else is doing well!!!

cj

I haven't broken any rules yet although i might use a heat pass for my bday on the 29th. I've just been wearing buns the whole time and experimenting with leave in conditioners.
Hopefully i'll be able to get my hair braided for the next session.

I wish I did not have to do this...but I have to drop out of this challenge. I wish I could continue, but I BC today because I don't want to grow to my desired length with a relaxer.

So...I did waaay more than dusting. :blush: Please forgive me, but for my hair, it is best...should have done it last year. I have all healthy hair now, no thin or broken hairs, and it's stronger than it was....though much shorter...bottom of EL when stretched.

Is there any way I can keep on with the challenge with where I am now? If not, I understand. Please advise.

If this is goodbye, then I wish everyone much success, and I'll still kind of lurk and will post my progress at the end of the year anyway since I started out with you guys. Let me know...

Hope everyone else is doing well!!!

cj

Congratulations on your BC. I don't want you to leave the challenge. Unless you previously used your emergency pass then I don't believe you are out of the challenge. You'll just have to do your punishment. Also, I don't believe violating the rules in this session prevents you from joining successive sessions.

Furthermore, The lawyer in me will argue that the rules say no trimming. Since you didn't trim (you cut) you technically didn't break any rules. ;)

Hey,
I want to be a part of the Bootcamp!

I am going to commit to _3__ sessions of LHCF Bootcamp. My consequence for violating Bootcamp Rules will be no LHCF for a month :(. I am excited to see the hair progress I will make by participating in this challenge!!

Here's a starting pic, 1 day old afro'd twist out. Will update fotki with a stretched one later.

Attachments

• PIC_0549.jpg
    PIC_0549.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I did use a pass today (yesterday?) to do a length check. I don't know if I like doing it. I felt guilty like I was hurting it. My poor poo poo hair had gotten used to being cold.:lachen:

Congratulations on your BC. I don't want you to leave the challenge. Unless you previously used your emergency pass then I don't believe you are out of the challenge. You'll just have to do your punishment. Also, I don't believe violating the rules in this session prevents you from joining successive sessions.

Furthermore, The lawyer in me will argue that the rules say no trimming. Since you didn't trim (you cut) you technically didn't break any rules. ;)

Awwww...you are so sweet. I have to go back and find put what my punishment is supposed to be. I have to search these threads now. Thanks for not kicking me out. I signed up for the entire year anyway because these rules have actually become a way of life. Thanks also for the congrats. I love my hair now.

*Going off to search for my punishment...*

cj

I have effed up and I am depressed. I may have to opt out of this challenge for now, and come back during Session 3 or 4. I have used my heat pass 2x, as of today. I'm still trying to figure out what my hair likes and what it needs. I'm alternating between flat ironing and roller-setting, so this puts me out of the challenge. I will continue to lurk though because I need motivation and I want to motivate you ladies!

Don't be a quitter like me! :-/

Okaaaaaayyyyy....I just found my punishment...

...no pizza for a month.

Was I crazy when I signed up for this challenge? I just thought TODAY that I would get pizza tomorrow. No such happening...

Arrrgggghhhh...well I guess it's worth it. April 15th, I am eating a WHOLE pizza just to make up for the pain I am experiencing right now. Is anyone else on punishment...wanna commiserate with me? lol (Maybe I won't eat the whole thing, but I WILL have more than two pieces!)

HHG and love to us all!

cj

Back