"You Got That White Girl Flow" [PICS]

i don't think it's a matter of "natural hair does abc..." vs. "relaxed hair does xyz...". everyone, relaxed & natural, just has to learn what works for their hair.

Because of overprocessing, not taking proper care of your hair, relying on a stylist to do it. While some people's hair simply cannot take a relaxer.

But this board alone should show that with proper care and hair practices a relaxed head can have healthy, shiny, beautiful, swinging (is that enough for you) hair.

I wonder where I stand in this, because I am constantly mistaken for being natural. People always comment on how beautiful my hair is. I even had a woman tell me she was thinking about going natural because she thought I was. When I told her I wasn't and that I just stretch my relaxers, she then said she was thinking about doing that. :lachen:

I even had my girl Queeny fooled. :grin:

@the bolded I so agree. I be seeing non black women flipping they thin hair like they the ish, and I be smh. :nono:

Just because it's long don't mean it look good. :ohwell:

Add me to the FOOL list because I thought your hair was natural, too!
You got that black girl flow! You go girl! LOL

I have noticed that about 90% of relaxed heads I see are stiff and lifeless(not on here)... If you lift your hair up with your hands and then let go of it if it does not drop back down but sticks up then IMO there hair is not healthy. But I don't think its just because of the relaxer, its just bad haircare practices. Most I see keep there hair straight and down 99% of the time I think mostly thats the problem

"Flow" and "swang" and all that has more to do with the volume of your hair, the strand size, (both things you inherited from BIRTH!) and the technique (usually a good dose of heat on clean hair) than it has to do with relaxed or natural, black or white.

I've only achieved "swang" once in my life thus far-- on relaxed hair that was bumped with heat. My strands are medium-coarse and my volume is nonexistant, so it takes SKILL to get anything swanging or moving on my head. :lachen:

By this logic... Relaxed or natural? :look: Relaxed or natural? :look:

It may be technique. I have been natural before and my hair was fuller, but my hair still has body bounce and shine. And it is relaxed.

Wow. I'm trying to put away my stones but, I can't even wait to read all the responses to say how bad the title and the questions irritate me. :wallbash: You have relaxed and naturals with busted heads and relaxed and naturals with fabulous hair. Depends on how they choose to represent, have knowledge, funds or even concern about how they look.

The whole white girl flow? Girl, I'm still hot off the thread that seemed to brag about naturals attracting white males (that's right. I said it!). Not that I have ANYthing against mixed couples (for a lack of better term). Love is color blind. It just seemed...ahhh...(woosaaaahhh)...

Listen, I'm thrilled for you that you were able to "attain silky straight hair" while the rest of the mere mortals...(woosah..back up, T).

I LOVE to see beautiful hair. :love: Relaxed, natural, bald (sista's face has to be able to hold that one tho. gotta be real), braids, curly top. Whatever. All I gots ta say is make sure you're not tossing stones before you tell a board full of sistas to back aWAY from their stones.

Ok. With that outta the way, go 'on with yo bad self, mama. Wow those folks and feel good about having healthy hair. But I wonder if you wore your hair straight for awhile, long after the newness of change has worn off, whether you'd blend in with the rest of... nah. You're on LHCF. Represent, sista.

Anyway, let me turn my attention to myself and make sure I'm not among the dull, lifeless relaxed heads that offend. (heading straight for a dc. :rolleyes:)

2007.jpg

Some relaxed hair without flow is because it may be damaged or dry. I always took care of my hair before LHCF. Is all about care Natural or Relaxed.

I attached a pic of my flow 2007

Everything that's swinging isn't healthy either... at least not per LHCF standards. I saw a girl just the other day, her hair was so fluffy and bouncy, but darn if it wasn't full of splits, dry, and frizzy. You'd think the two couldn't co-exist. :rolleyes:

I see this a LOT on white people too, just thinking about it, especially the boxed blondes. The hair will have body and movement, but you can tell they abuse heat on the regular.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it into a black vs. dominican because I know it's not like that at all. My bad. I should have said in my experience only. It was just in my experience, I didn't get the swang until I visited a hispanic salon.
No I don't think I went to "bad" black stylists either. It was just different technique for a different look, that's all. :yep:

Don't worry, I haven't been to a dominican salon in many months, I hardly ever get them any more. Once or twice a year usually.
Hate the heat on my poor scalp love the results.

I understood what you meant and I agree--I've had similar experiences.

I can get (this is the same relaxed or transitioning) "black gal swang" if I go without products, but sometimes I'd rather just have moisturized hair. If that makes my hair less swangy... oh well.

I was getting comments on how my hair looked and how "long" they didn't realize it was. It was pretty overwhelming. Got me wondering what these people are thinking when I wear my hair in my usual braid n' curls, they never say anything about my hair then.

...why is it that as a natural I am able to attain silky straight hair with body, but many women I see with relaxers have stiff, lifeless hair?

I've always found the bolded statement interesting. I know when my hair was relaxed it was thin and lifeless. But when I was natural and straightened, my hair had so much body. I can't wait to be natural again!

Girl you betta duck!!!!

Naw, I'm just kidding. It depends on the styling products, health of the hair, and all manner of things.

I'm relaxed and my hair flows too!

Because the average black women with relaxed hair is probably not flat ironed. Flat ironed hair gives you that silky flow. That is why some relaxed girls on here have flat irons like my self! :grin:

Clearly my hair is only SL, and when I move my head my hair moves, I am suprised at how much my hair swings, I can't imagine when it gets longer/heavier how much it will move. I only get this swing for 2-3 days post wash, cause that is when my hair starts to get overloaded with products. I wouldn't just generalize and say that relaxed hair is stiff and life less, sure there are some heads that can be that way, but you never know a head can look different day 1 post wash compared to day 6 post wash, ya know?

Some women just can't do their hair to save their lives, relaxed or natural. I've seen "swang" on relaxed and natural heads.......mainly on LHCF though. I rarely see women in real life who know how to work magic with a rollerset or a flat iron.

At first i got the white girl thing but now i do not:lachen:, is it how fine white girls hair can be? Or is it the straightness?? Dont asians have very straight hair, why doesnt anybody ever refer to "Asian girl flow"??:look:

And i honestly think women with body and thickness have the nicest "Flow", it doesnt matter the race because HONESTLY all the white girls i know have no life to their hair:ohwell: The only non-black girls i know with Flow' is Mexicans and 1 asian girl:lachen:
I do believe that naturals have more body to their hair and a slight different texture, i like the look of natural hair straighten then relaxed hair! Even when i was relaxed, i always notice naturals had more body & thickness:grin:

So anyway what im trying to say is beautiful hair has no race or chemical. There are PLENTY of relaxed women on here with BEAUTIFUL "Flow" even more on Fotki! Also naturals!

*Saving thread to see future responses..hoping it doesnt get deleted!*

Last edited:
The title and question rubbed me the wrong way. My first thought was, is this a troll?

I prefer NO SWANG if my hair doesn't have enough product on it to protect it. I've seen white women with dry ends and yuck, it's a mess, especially after bleaching. I'm one of those people who can't do her hair...natural or relaxed. I keep trying but I'm just not that good. I even stopped getting blow outs because it dried out my hair.

I'm very lucky because my MAN likes thick hair with some texture. There have been many times after a relaxer blowout when he's said it was too straight. Regardless, healthy hair is the key...relaxed or straight no matter what race you are.

I honestly wonder how old are these people walking up to you telling you that, "You got that white girl flow."
That statement sounds ridiculous in and of it self that I can't imagine people actually walking up and saying that out loud and meaning it as a compliment.:perplexed

The title and question rubbed me the wrong way. My first thought was, is this a troll?

Yeah my first thought was
2vii1yh.jpg

but then I had to
ehkggg.jpg

Everything that's swinging isn't healthy either... at least not per LHCF standards. I saw a girl just the other day, her hair was so fluffy and bouncy, but darn if it wasn't full of splits, dry, and frizzy. You'd think the two couldn't co-exist. :rolleyes:

I see this a LOT on white people too, just thinking about it, especially the boxed blondes. The hair will have body and movement, but you can tell they abuse heat on the regular.

Oh yes, I am a testament to the bolded. My hair always swings all over the place all day every day even with a bunch of split ends and crazy frizz and it wasn't always sleek until I learned how to care for it.

That's been my experience both natural and relaxed.

Me too, I think this is how the thread will go(unless it gets shut down)..
:eh:

:blah:

:boxing:
:catfight:

:mob:
:gotroasted:
:mopup:

:meditate:

I don't think so. There seems to be not be much back and forth or bickering. That's a good thing! Cause it's not needed. A simple question was asked and lovely ladies (for the most part:yep:) are giving simple answers.

I honestly wonder how old are these people walking up to you telling you that, "You got that white girl flow."
That statement sounds ridiculous in and of it self that I can't imagine people actually walking up and saying that out loud and meaning it as a compliment.:perplexed

haha. early 30s-60s. i know some people are offended by such statements, but i've learned to take everything with a grain of salt. the intentions behind it was not negative. to me it's pretty much like when i'm weave checked when i wear twists...most think it is kind of rude for someone to ask "what kind of hair did u add to your twists?" and i kindly say "no addition, all mine". i take it all as a compliment.

I don't think so. There seems to be not be much back and forth or bickering.That's a good thing! Cause it's not needed. A simple question was asked and lovely ladies (for the most part:yep:) are giving simple answers.

haha. early 30s-60s. i know some people are offended by such statements, but i've learned to take everything with a grain of salt. the intentions behind it was not negative. to me it's pretty much like when i'm weave checked when i wear twists...most think it is kind of rude for someone to ask "what kind of hair did u add to your twists?" and i kindly say "no addition, all mine". i take it all as a compliment.

we'll see:drunk:

I'm not even gonna comment on how I feel about the phrase "white girl flow":rolleyes: you should tell those people "no I got that fly black girl flow....but thanks" like we gotta be emulating them to be fly and pretty........ANYWAY
I think the reason for this difference is that you have the benefit of long hair care forum and healthy hair practices and they don't. The word isn't out yet sadly.

But my straightened natural hair is definitely way thicker stronger and healthier:yep:

right!!!!!

Back