"You Got That White Girl Flow" [PICS]

Hair swings when it isn't weighed down with products or dirt. Most black women not on this site wash their hair infrequently, that results in product build-up and less swing.

A lot of black women can't wash their hair because they don't know how and many black women's hair only receives attention when she goes to the salon. That's going to create a lot of dirty, lifeless looking hair.

It's easier to get swing and shine with relaxed hair, but most black women are still thinking that dirt makes hair grow, that water will make their hair rot, and that they have to use the "doo-gro" items in the ethnic hair care section of the store. That's a recipe for dull lifeless hair that has nothing to do with being relaxed/natural.

Last edited:
Hair swings when it isn't weighed down with products or dirt. Most black women not on this site wash their hair infrequently, that results in product build-up and less swing.

A lot of black women can't wash their hair because they don't know how and many black women's hair only receives attention when she goes to the salon. That's going to create a lot of dirty, lifeless looking hair.

It's easier to get swing and shine with relaxed hair, but most black women are still thinking that dirt makes hair grow, that water will make their hair rot, and that they have to use the "doo-gro" items in the ethnic hair care section of the store. That's a recipe for dull lifeless that has nothing to do with being relaxed/natural.
That summed it up very well.
Yeah my first thought was
2vii1yh.jpg

but then I had to
ehkggg.jpg
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I don't think it has anything to do with being natural or relaxed. It's all about the products (or lack of) and technique to achieve the flow.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it into a black vs. dominican because I know it's not like that at all. My bad. I should have said in my experience only. It was just in my experience, I didn't get the swang until I visited a hispanic salon.
No I don't think I went to "bad" black stylists either. It was just different technique for a different look, that's all. :yep:

Don't worry, I haven't been to a dominican salon in many months, I hardly ever get them any more. Once or twice a year usually.
Hate the heat on my poor scalp love the results.

WEEELLLL...In MY experience every black stylist I went to and that was many have pulled, burned, and whatever else they could to my hair. Whenever I go to a Dominican stylist my hair comes out flowy and just looks healthier overall. I've been going to dominicans since I was 9 and I'm 21 now and my experience with them can't even compare to the awful experiences I've had with black stylists which is why I joined this board. However, back to OP's ? yes I've seen many relaxed heads in real life with limp, lifeless hair..and it's probably the stylists they go to and the heavy products used.

I work in an office that is predominantly white; including me, there are only three Black women here. None of the White women here have this sacred "White Girl flow"- not a one.

I often wonder where these people get these silly generalizations from.

I work in an office that is predominantly white; including me, there are only three Black women here. None of the White women here have this sacred "White Girl flow"- not a one.

My mom says the same thing. Alot of the people she works with have stiff hair especially older ones. And many girls I see around school have hair thats fried to the most and looks awful. It may have had some truth before but nowadays :nono:

Pantene, Lo'real, Herbal Essences and other hair adverts.

At the end of the day most of us have to put in some effort to achieve that 'white girl flow' even the white girls themselves...

Well I can kinda understand the white girl flow statement. "Our" hair doesn't naturally hang down like that without some manipulation. Of course other races can have the flow besides white girls, but I have to say the flow does not naturally belong to black women.

Last edited:
Its not about Black stylists vs. Dominican, you just went to bad stylists back when I used to rely on salons I went to black stylists that leave my hair with swang and use nothing but Aveda on my hair....so it depends where you go.

Also hun, please be careful with those dominican blowouts!:nono: I hope you dont get it blown out all the time because thats really rolling the dice:perplexed

I def had that "swang" the one time I went to the Dominican salon. I also got a burn on my forehead from where the stylist's gold ring became so hot from the blow dryer and gently grazed my forehead---I still have a mark. Never again.

Hair commercials on TV. :perplexed

A lot of people labor under this notion. Only the ones that actually care for their hair have it. Many don't. Most white women I see with the exceptions of few have permed and colored the holy mess out of their hair. Some of them walk around with all kinds of zebra stripes in their head. As far as black women with stiff relaxed hair (and I've seen many, none of which are on this board) it has a lot to do with their hair's general health and lousy/too much products.

lol @ "white girl flow." This is honestly my first time hearing this term---where I'm from I usually hear people attributing flowing silky hair to Indian women. And to me, neither terms are offensive because it's true-- my natural hair doesn't flow like many white or indian women's hair and i'm cool with that because i like my hair.

But anyway, being relaxed or natural has nothing to do with it. It really just depends on the health of your hair--I know when I was relaxed my hair was just as flowy, perhaps less volume, but still flowing. Plus I think relaxed hair takes more work to keep it healthy because of the chemicals. And from what I've seen, many relaxed women IRL think a relaxer is easier than natural hair-- so they go for it, thinking they're taking the "easy way out" and end up not caring for their hair like it's processed.

And it also depends on how much product you're using. If you have fine hair, you cannot be loading your hair up with products and expect it to be flowing...it'll just look greasy and stiff which is basically how I've walked out of all Caribbean and most Habesha salons I've been to.

It's easier to get swing and shine with relaxed hair, but most black women are still thinking that dirt makes hair grow, that water will make their hair rot, and that they have to use the "doo-gro" items in the ethnic hair care section of the store. That's a recipe for dull lifeless that has nothing to do with being relaxed/natural.

Also, they are scared that there hair will "go back" if they wash it. You wouldn't believe how many girls in high school would NOT wash their own hair. Maybe like every 3 or 4 weeks, if they did for that very reason I mentioned above.

Marie Claire, Elle, and Glamour!

Well said everybody. This "white girl flow" can be achieved by women of any race with the proper products and technique. My hair has flow and I'm relaxed. It was dull and lifeless when I used grease and didnt know any better. I wish more women knew about proper hair care.

Last edited:
Well I can kinda understand the white girl flow statement. "Our" hair doesn't naturally hang down like that without some manipulation. Of course other races can have the flow besides white girls, but I have to say the flow does not naturally belong to black women.

That's cause we have our own flow. Their hair doesn't flow without some manipulation too. Now that I look closer at other's hair, IDK why I used to hate my hair and wish for something else. Most of their hair is long sure, but split all the way up to the shoulders or wherever. I'll take my kinky coily mane anyday over long, straight, flowing, split ended hair.

I think it really depends on the individuals hair, and how you take care of it.

When I was relaxing my hair, i could get it swinging and shiny and looking like it grew out of my head shiny and straight, and was quite long. In my opinion I found it dry, and though even at its worst it was longer and healthier than a lot of crispy heads out there-- I know from experience relaxed hair can be quite beautiful and healthy.

Why I stopped relaxing was because I can get my hair just as straight without a relaxer AND I have the flexibility to get my curls back which I actually prefer to straight hair, it wasn't to get it better looking per se. I am also lazy, and think relaxed hair is too damn delicate for me to bother with, and there is too much running from the rain and so on for an active girl who likes to go into tropical jungles and remote areas without steady electricity. I am also scared of strong chemicals like that, and don't need any crazy cancer from whatever gets dumped on my head every 2-3 months. Afterall, your skin absorbs whatever you put on it and that is fact. Not saying perms definitively cause cancer, just saying I'm not taking that chance. :nono:

Really I think what really makes people have that stiff and fried look is a lack of moisture, tons of petroleum based products, abuse of heat styling, and general misinformation about how to take care of hair, and in particular black hair. I have seen crispy looking natural heads, and quite honestly i think its a shame.

Healthy beautiful hair is possible with relaxed and natural hair, as is crispy dry scary hair!

Now as for the "white girl flow" :rolleyes: ..... I'm just going to reiterate what other people say by pointing out that all white girls do not have the flow. Its more the "hair model flow" ( which is usually a wig or extensions btw).

I have a lot of white friends who's hair does not really flow and who struggle with dryness and breakage (some of them work in hair salons!). If I had a penny for everytime I heard them complain about not being able to grow their hair out I would be hiring and firing bill gates every other day for fun. They over color, over heat, their hair sticks out ( some quite stiffly) and NOT ONE of them has hair longer than neck length. These are fully white, european and american of european decent girls. One of thems hair is so awful me and my best friend refer to it as looking like a chewed up ripped Barbie. You know-- the one your neice cut the hair off and looks like its been through hell and back?

And then they lie and say " I'm just gonna grow my hair out next year, I decided to cut it again" (Oh is that why your hair has been chin length for the last 5 years and you sometimes whine that you miss having long hair? and ask my how my hair grows so fast?)

The white people I know with long healthy swinging hair, don't fry and dye their hair to death. Usually they leave it alone and/or keep it in a pony.

Somebody needs to go undercover and tape this stuff and break the " white girl swang" myth. They do not have the monopoly on nice hair.:wallbash:

:

...why is it that as a natural I am able to attain silky straight hair with body, but many women I see with relaxers have stiff, lifeless hair?

Anyone have any ideas?
how long have you been on this site?... there are tons & tons of relaxed women with "silky straight hair with body"... sorry but your statement seems a little off & prejudice to me

how long have you been on this site?... there are tons & tons of relaxed women with "silky straight hair with body"... sorry but your statement seems a little off & prejudice to me

It's not being prejudice however its like comparing apples to oranges.

Pretty much 90% of the woman I see with relaxed hair (assuming that they are relaxed) outside of LHCF do have thin, stringy,limp, lifeless hair.

Majority of the woman I see outside of LHCF who are natural and straighten their hair are not 100% silky straight but do have tons of body.

I personally can not have silky straight hair with body, I have to chose between one or the other. With my hair type if I chose silky straight hair then my hair will be limp, theres nothing I can do about that.

Of course there are women here on LHCF who are relaxed and have very healthy hair. To be honest, not all of them can have and will probably never have the type of body that a natural hair can have.

Its amazing how the term "white girl flow" ruffles a lot of feathers! Geeze Louise its not that serious...to me at least!

Its amazing how the term "white girl flow" ruffles a lot of feathers! Geeze Louise its not that serious...to me at least!
actually i can see why it would ruffle a lot of feathers, it ruffled mine, considering this site is for black women and since when did ww become the epitome of a type of "flow":perplexed

actually i can see why it would ruffle a lot of feathers, it ruffled mine, considering this site is for black women and since when did ww become the epitome of a type of "flow":perplexed

I just KIM, ive heard the term used since I was in elementary school so maybe thats why I don't see the reason for the fuss:ohwell:

sitff life-less hair usually means its not healthy and or you're using the wrong products

most relaxed heads i know IRL has hair like that but their hair is also unhealthy.

if they started doing a basic reggy: daily moisturising, weeekly DC, relaxing at most @8 weeks and using the right technique and products to straighten their hair would be flowy and have that swang

It's not being prejudice however its like comparing apples to oranges.

Pretty much 90% of the woman I see with relaxed hair (assuming that they are relaxed) outside of LHCF do have thin, stringy,limp, lifeless hair.

Majority of the woman I see outside of LHCF who are natural and straighten their hair are not 100% silky straight but do have tons of body.

I personally can not have silky straight hair with body, I have to chose between one or the other. With my hair type if I chose silky straight hair then my hair will be limp, theres nothing I can do about that.

Of course there are women here on LHCF who are relaxed and have very healthy hair. To be honest, not all of them can have and will probably never have the type of body that a natural hair can have.

I am sure a lot of people respect your opinion. The problem is some people on this board need to realize not EVERYONE cares or wants to be natural. At this point in my life (maybe later) i don't want it....Yes a lot of naturals have full, thick beautiful hair (not all).. All that is natural is not beautiful IMO..:look:

I am sure that women IRL and here know about the natural movement but maybe just maybe they don't want it or like it. that's OK too as long as is kept healthy.

Back