"You Got That White Girl Flow" [PICS]

westNDNbeauty

Yes! That was said to me over and over again today.

I'm natural and went to work with my hair straightened and loose for the first time. Before I even got in the building, I was getting comments on how my hair looked and how "long" they didn't realize it was. It was pretty overwhelming. Got me wondering what these people are thinking when I wear my hair in my usual braid n' curls, they never say anything about my hair then.

I've always wanted to ask this question and I guess this is my opportunity to ask:

[DON'T STONE ME]:look:

...why is it that as a natural I am able to attain silky straight hair with body, but many women I see with relaxers have stiff, lifeless hair?

Anyone have any ideas?

see "white girl flow" here ----> http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

Last edited:
I have seen both with stiff, lifeless hair. It's all about the person and the health of the hair. My relaxed hair is not stiff or lifeless.

No stoning here.

Uh oh you might need popcorn for this thread :popcorn:

My natural hair looks much better straightened than it did when it was relaxed. I used to think it was the relaxer. Although that was part of the problem, I now realize it was because I was letting other people do my hair. They'd relax root to tip and I now know that's a huge no no.

BTW your hair is very beautiful curly and straight! I always get more compliments when its long and straight. I do whatever I like and ignore what others like on me. Especially if I'm protective styling.

Last edited:
I'm not even gonna comment on how I feel about the phrase "white girl flow":rolleyes: you should tell those people "no I got that fly black girl flow....but thanks" like we gotta be emulating them to be fly and pretty........ANYWAY

I think the reason for this difference is that you have the benefit of long hair care forum and healthy hair practices and they don't. The word isn't out yet sadly.

But my straightened natural hair is definitely way thicker stronger and healthier:yep:

Last edited:
Chris and Southern you both are right.

You do see naturals and relaxed heads with body-less tresses.

But I guess I am perplexed about it because I expect those that relax their hair to have hair that more resembles our sisters of the "Caucasian persuasion" since their hair is chemically altered to be straight.

i dunno.

i think with proper hair care, technique and the right products anybodies hair can be flowy and full of body. my hair is prettier straightened as a natural though. most white girls i see like the black or latina ones have either stringy or dull lifeless hair.....i don't think it has anything to do with race or even whether you have chemically treated hair, in general women don't care for their hair properly and we here on the forum are a minority. thats why i feel long or blonde hair doesn't equal beauty cause i see too many jacked up heads of hair!

But I guess I am perplexed about it because I expect those that relax their hair to have hair that more resembles our sisters of the "Caucasian persuasion" since their hair is chemically altered to be straight.

i dunno.

But, you see, I'm not trying to resemble white hair. For me, it's easier to manage my hair relaxed. I admire natural hair. But, I can't do it right now. Maybe I will eventually; but, I prefer my hair relaxed.

I think the lifeless hair that's seen is a result of not washing, conditioning, or managing it the way that the relaxation process strongly requires. Many relaxed women don't touch their hair until their next hair appointment in two weeks. Sad, but true.

Not stoning but to me it seems that it's clearly all trial and error/products/technique because in that very thread the last picture looked better than the second.

Either way, pretty hair!

Last edited:
I've always wanted to ask this question and I guess this is my opportunity to ask:

...why is it that as a natural I am able to attain silky straight hair with body, but many women I see with relaxers have stiff, lifeless hair?

Anyone have any ideas?

westNDNbeauty, I actually think your hair looks more full of life unstraightened. :yep:

To avoid being stoned, maybe you should have phrased your question like this:

...why is it that as a natural I am able to attain silky straight hair with body, but when I had a relaxer, I had stiff, lifeless hair?

You switched your question from "I" in the beginning to "many women" near the end...

But anyway, I have natural hair, and I've noticed when I heat straighten my natural hair, it is silkier and straigher than when I had relaxed hair. I think my hair is just more flexible without chemical treatments. But when I had relaxed hair, it wasn't stiff and lifeless though.

However, when it comes to "other women"... I've seen BOTH stiff, lifeless hair and silky straight hair with natural hair AND relaxed hair alike. It's all about how each individual woman takes care of their hair...products, techniques, and all.

Edited to Add: Oh... forget the "White Girl"...we got that "Black Girl" flow!

Last edited:

i dunno.

First of all, I don't think our hair can ever resemble those of the caucasian persuasion lol relaxed or not

I have issues with body when I do my own hair.
However those dominican blowouts have me swanging more than some white girls!
When I got my hair relaxed by black people I never had any swang because they put so much grease and stuff!

But when I went to the dominicans, I had lots of swang because of that blow dry technique and their roller setting...

Hair with unhealthy ends is also lifeless. Maybe all those relaxed ladies you see are in need of a trim too.

To avoid being stoned, maybe you should have phrased your question like this:

...why is it that as a natural I am able to attain silky straight hair with body, but when I had a relaxer, I had stiff, lifeless hair?

You switched your question from "I" in the beginning to "many women" near the end...

But anyway, I have natural hair, and I've noticed when I heat straighten my natural hair, it is silkier and straigher than when I had relaxed hair. I think my hair is just more flexible without chemical treatments. But when I had relaxed hair, it wasn't stiff and lifeless though.

However, when it comes to "other women"... I've seen BOTH stiff, lifeless hair and silky straight hair with natural hair AND relaxed hair alike. It's all about how each individual woman takes care of their hair...products, techniques, and all.

It would be a lie for me rephrase since I never had relaxed hair.

I think it depends on the person's hair texture. I have fine hair without a lot of density. No matter what I did to my relaxed hair it never looked as good as my straightened atural. I just couldn't achieve the same look of volume with my hair relaxed. But its not true of everyone.

ok I was all good til I saw that silly comment in bold, I just want to know where people get this assumption from of relaxed heads, my hair aint' lifeless, or stuck to my head. my hair has more body than most, and I know there are other relaxed heads like me, I have friends that are relaxed that have better hair than naturals, let's please stop with the silly comments that relaxed hair is flat it's insulting!

so i'll say it again IT DEPENDS ON THE DENSITY THICKNESS FULLNESS OF A PERSON'S HAIR, THEY CAN BE WHITE, BLACK, MEXICAN, BLIND, HANDICAPPED, NATURAL OR RELAXED ETC. IF YOUR HAIR IS THIN AND YOU PUT TOO MUCH PRODUCT, YOUR HAIR IS OVERPROCSSED/DAMAGED, YOU USE TO MUCH OIL WHEN YOU STRAIGHTEN/FLAT IRON YOUR "NATURAL HAIR" YOUR HAIR WILL NOT HAVE FLOW TO IT! YOUR HAIR WILL BE LIMP.

SOME PEOPLE REGARDLESS OF THE NATURAL/RELAXED CRAP HAVE LIMP LIFELESS HAIR. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ONLY BEING RELAXED.

so let's please stop the madness with the ignorant comments towards relaxed ladies. would naturals appreciate it if people were always making derogatory comments about their hair, because not all natural hair is nice.

peace out!

Yes! That was said to me over and over again today.

I'm natural and went to work with my hair straightened and loose for the first time. Before I even got in the building, I was getting comments on how my hair looked and how "long" they didn't realize it was. It was pretty overwhelming. Got me wondering what these people are thinking when I wear my hair in my usual braid n' curls, they never say anything about my hair then.

Anyone have any ideas?

see "white girl flow" here ----> http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

It would be a lie for me rephrase since I never had relaxed hair.
Oh okay. Well that's cool...

...but why even go as far as to say "Don't Stone Me" and then add in that comment that gives off this implication: "I have silky natural hair but many women with relaxed hair don't" if the thread is solely about you and your hair?

Last edited:
First of all, I don't think our hair can ever resemble those of the caucasian persuasion lol relaxed or not

I have issues with body when I do my own hair.
However those dominican blowouts have me swanging more than some white girls!
When I got my hair relaxed by black people I never had any swang because they put so much grease and stuff!

But when I went to the dominicans, I had lots of swang because of that blow dry technique and their roller setting...

Hair with unhealthy ends is also lifeless. Maybe all those relaxed ladies you see are in need of a trim too.
Its not about Black stylists vs. Dominican, you just went to bad stylists back when I used to rely on salons I went to black stylists that leave my hair with swang and use nothing but Aveda on my hair....so it depends where you go.

Also hun, please be careful with those dominican blowouts!:nono: I hope you dont get it blown out all the time because thats really rolling the dice:perplexed

Last edited:
No stones her WNB but these topics often get heated quickly.
Most people don't take kindly to generalizing their hair as dull, stiff, lifeless etc and that goes for both natural, relaxed or in between.
We see every kind of beautiful hair on this board so I would think we all know that these comments are not true. As for the people IRL who don't know any better, just tell them that you're naturally fly(no white girl needed), swang your hair and KIM.
You can encourage them to have that "flow" whether their natural or relaxed.

OT: I've always thought your hair was beautiful from that thread.

For the record...Relaxed, to me does not equal lifeless hair. I have a number of girlfriends with relaxed, flowy tresses. So I know it is possible. But honestly, that is not the majority of what I see.

I made an observation and I'm asking a follow up question.

Last edited:
I thought I was gonna need the popcorn at first after I read the OP but I see ladies are taking it in context and respectfully agreeing/disagreeing...that pleases me

But I must say i do see more voluminous straight styles from the naturals I just think natural hair retains a lot more body because the roots never get flat (they may be straight but they dont often lay like freshly relaxed roots) I think that adds to the "bouncy" yt girl property ur refering too.

I too have never been relaxed so I cannot make the comparison between my own personal presses/ flat irons but I can say that my hair natural has had more bounce and body than both my relaxed and natural friends.....I think ALOT of that has to do with my time spent on LHCF! I try to tell my friends lol hopefully they will see the light soon too!

I think it's a combination of products being used when flat ironing and overall health of hair. When I have too much product in my hair it can look stiff after flat ironing. But the less product I use the better my hair feels and looks overall. I dont think it matters if your relaxed or not.

I think if you hair is healthy it will look nice straight. It does not matter if it is relaxed or natural. I have seen both on this website.

Oh, WNB, I feel this may go bad... Hugs in advance!

In any case, when I was relaxed, my hair was best fresh from the salon. It took years for me to finally perfect it and even still it was not always on point.

As for my natural hair, sometimes I swang, sometimes I don't. I need to flat iron in small sections but I've got a lot of hair and the longer I stand up doing it, the bigger the sections get. Hence, it can be a big, poofy mess!

You have invested the time and footwork it requires to find the best technique for you to achieve your results. Perhaps the women you see haven't reached that stage in their hair care practices (if they are even trying).

Last edited:
I don't think OP is talking about relaxed heads on this board, let's be serious. However, I would argue in the 'real world' many women relax their hair because they 'can't handle' their natural hair when really it means they don't know how to care for their hair in general. There are natural women who are perpetually in a low fade for the same reason, but their lack of hair knowledge is not as obvious so you end up focusing on the relaxed heads that are subpar.

Its not about Black stylists vs. Dominican, you just went to bad stylists back when I used to rely on salons I went to black stylists that leave my hair with swang and use nothing but Aveda on my hair....so it depends where you go.

Also hun, please be careful with those dominican blowouts!:nono: I hope you dont get it blown out all the time because thats really rolling the dice:perplexed

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it into a black vs. dominican because I know it's not like that at all. My bad. I should have said in my experience only. It was just in my experience, I didn't get the swang until I visited a hispanic salon.
No I don't think I went to "bad" black stylists either. It was just different technique for a different look, that's all. :yep:

Don't worry, I haven't been to a dominican salon in many months, I hardly ever get them any more. Once or twice a year usually.
Hate the heat on my poor scalp love the results.

Last edited:
Because of overprocessing, not taking proper care of your hair, relying on a stylist to do it. While some people's hair simply cannot take a relaxer.

But this board alone should show that with proper care and hair practices a relaxed head can have healthy, shiny, beautiful, swinging (is that enough for you) hair.

I wonder where I stand in this, because I am constantly mistaken for being natural. People always comment on how beautiful my hair is. I even had a woman tell me she was thinking about going natural because she thought I was. When I told her I wasn't and that I just stretch my relaxers, she then said she was thinking about doing that. :lachen:

I even had my girl Queeny fooled. :grin:

i think with proper hair care, technique and the right products anybodies hair can be flowy and full of body. my hair is prettier straightened as a natural though. most white girls i see like the black or latina ones have either stringy or dull lifeless hair.....i don't think it has anything to do with race or even whether you have chemically treated hair, in general women don't care for their hair properly and we here on the forum are a minority. thats why i feel long or blonde hair doesn't equal beauty cause i see too many jacked up heads of hair!

@the bolded I so agree. I be seeing non black women flipping they thin hair like they the ish, and I be smh. :nono:

Just because it's long don't mean it look good. :ohwell:

I think it's a combination of products being used when flat ironing and overall health of hair. When I have too much product in my hair it can look stiff after flat ironing. But the less product I use the better my hair feels and looks overall. I dont think it matters if your relaxed or not.

agree! too much product!

Back