Yo, married ladies, gotta question

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
B

Bublnbrnsuga

Well, the time is approaching. Yup, I am getting my maiden named changed,but the process makes me want to keep my maiden name. What steps should I take to make this go as smoothly as possible?

I'm dealing with the same issue. I just celebrated my first anniversary and I still haven't changed my name. My husband has started calling me Miss (my maiden name) lately, so I think he's getting annoyed that I haven't changed it. I'm sure the laws vary by state, but here in Texas you can just take your marriage license to the DPS/DMV office & Social Security office and get a new driver's license and SS card. The little marriage booklet that we got when we applied for our marriage license says to do this ASAP after you get married. I hope they don't trip because I waited so long and make me do all kinds of extra stuff.

I still haven't done my SS card yet but usually you take your official licence (not a copy) to the DMV. After you do that you can get your other stuff (credit cards, bank accounts, etc.) changed over.

Girl I hated my maiden name, I got everything changed ASAP, LOL! Yes, you just need to take your marriage license with you, and extra forms of I.D.

Its real easy. Just take your marriage license to DMV, get new license with name. Take license to social security, get new SS card. Call all accounts and have name changed

Our one yr anniv is coming up soon and I just changed my last name thru the ss office in July only because I needed an updated id with my new name to be able to go on a trip. I delayed changing my name because at that time I was still in school and would have been screwed in the financial aid dept so I waited until I was done with school and couldnt put it off any longer due to the trip.

So far I only have my new name on my drivers lic and ss card. Have not bothered to change my name anywhere else (like my bank acct..etc) but when I sign up for new things now I do use the new name.

It's still so weird and I'm definately not used to it..I find myself saying my maiden name still :look:

Phoenix said:
I hope they don't trip because I waited so long and make me do all kinds of extra stuff.

Hopefully that isn't the case Phoenix. I know that my husband's insurance company acted a fool when he tried to add me saying he should have added me sooner and that he waited too long..truly a pain in my behind I tell you. :mad:

MsKendra said:
Our one yr anniv is coming up soon and I just changed my last name thru the ss office in July only because I needed an updated id with my new name to be able to go on a trip. I delayed changing my name because at that time I was still in school and would have been screwed in the financial aid dept so I waited until I was done with school and couldnt put it off any longer due to the trip.

So far I only have my new name on my drivers lic and ss card. Have not bothered to change my name anywhere else (like my bank acct..etc) but when I sign up for new things now I do use the new name.

It's still so weird and I'm definately not used to it..I find myself saying my maiden name still :look:

Ha..after a few years, your maiden name will become a distant memory.

sylver2 said:
Call all accounts and have name changed

It wasn't as easy as only a phone call for me, but easy nevertheless. Make several copies of your marriage license and new driver's license. They will need to be mailed as proof of your name change to credit card companies, frequent flyer programs, etc.

YummyC said:
Do you have to change your name when you get married?

Nope!!! I've been married for six years and haven't changed my name.......and don't intend to. Hubby knew up front that there would be no "changing of the name." :D

I hyphenated my maiden name with my married name. I always want people to remember me. I changed my name for respect of my hubby, we are joined together as one.

Bublnbrnsuga said:
What kind of comment was that, OGLORIOUS one?

I think she means she literally prays that you never have to change it back. Hoping for the best for every married couple on here.:)

LondonDiva said:
I think she means she literally prays that you never have to change it back. Hoping for the best for every married couple on here.:)

But somethings shouldn't be said, ya know? That was comment was totally unnecessary and it seemed sarcastic.

I'm glad I have checked here, b/c I have yet to change my name and I got married last December. Before the end of the year, I will do it though. Right now, I am back and forth with school, so it is just less of a hassle right now to keep my maiden name until I defend.

My only suggestion is get it done before you have to do your taxes. I waited until I had been married for a little over a year and had such DRAMA with the IRS. My job, my ss card, my DL, and the IRS had different stuff. It all hadn't caught up with each other by the time i filed my taxes.

The DL is easy..take your marriage license to the DMV EASY!!. You could take to the SS office too. Calls from there.

I went to the Social Security office to get my new social security card. All I had to do was show my marriage certificate and driver's license. After I got my new Social Security card, then I began to change everything else (driver's license, credit cards, bank account, etc.). It wasn't too complicated.

It's still so weird and I'm definately not used to it..I find myself saying my maiden name still :look:[/QUOTE]

This is what I did too and I am also hyphenated. ;)

YummyC said:
Do you have to change your name when you get married?

No it is a personally choice.

I still go by my maiden name because it is who I am and I really like my name.

Did you get married yet Bubbln? GOD, I just pray that one day I will get married so that I Can change my name (and no I don't hate my last name, I prob. will keep both). I would just love to get married, although time is ticking...tick tick tick

I think you can really just start going by your new name. I didn't really do anything to change my name for a long time. I just dropped my middle name, used my maiden name as my new middle name and started using my new last name. I didn't change my Social Security card until the IRS wrote threatening to withhold my refund. I just changed my driver's license last week after 8 years of marriage.

I even know a girl who opened a bank account with her fiance with her married name before they were married. I don't know why the bank permitted that, but oh well...!

I changed my name on my social security card first. Then I took my marriage license to the Secretary of State to get a new license. I took my marriage license to the bank to change my name on my accounts there. And I notified my bills either via phone call or fax that my last name had changed. I have a bill or two that still has my maiden name on it. I'll get around to changing it one of these days.

Hey miracle, it sounds like you and I are on the same page! It's been 4 yrs and I have yet to change my maiden name. It was an issue at first but my husband no longer brings it up (thankfully). I told him that if and when we had any kids, I would begin to use his name so the kids wouldn't be confused but until that time, I plan on things to stay exactly the way they are.

mrspatriceww said:
Fortunately I didn't have to change my name b/c we had the same last name.

Wow, I have never heard of that happening.

I have been married for five years and everything is in my name but my SS card. I guess I better do this, huh. :lol:

Actually, I still use my maiden name. I just added hubbys last name without the hyphen so it's like another middle name, so to speak.

Back