Winter Moisture.....

tthreat08

....so I'm bored with my hair. It's cold outside, and I feel like my hair is too dry when I wear it out. So, I'm trying to feel positive about the up-do...bun etc. I mean dang! I'll be glad when it warms up, but what are you doing to keep your hair moisturized this winter?

I am currently experimenting with the moisture effects of curl activator gel. From what I can tell so far it's very moisturizing.

When my hair gets real dry, I've been spraying my hair with S-curl and turning on the shower until it gets real steamy.Then I just let the steam penetrate my hair and then throwing some oils on top when it feels good and moisturized by the S-curl and steam.:p

Dove Sheer Moisture Leave In Mist, is the truth. I used it a few days ago on my thin hair and now it full moist bouncy and it smell great. I bought it to use on my baby girls "wash and go" hair it is totally different from my and my hubbies hair, she is a knock off of my grandmother. Very soft, curly and puffy, she loves it also and it works great for moisture on her hair also. And she is 6 this year...

i moisturise like a maniac. i recently bought infusium 23 moisture but have no idea if its doing anything to my hair. it does keep it wet as it is a very runny liquid but like i said don't know if it does anything beyond that in actually improving the hair. i also use ORS olive oil. used to moisturise 1-2 times a day but now i probably do it 5-8 times. i'm trying to break this crazy habit though.

by the way does anyone use that(infusium 23)? and if so what results do you have? just curious as i haven't seen anything about it on the board.

I spray Oyin Greg juice in my hair on Mon/Wed/Fri nights, slap a shower cap on top, tie a do-rag on, and go to sleep. I take the shower cap off in the morning before I go to work, and my hair stays tight all week.
My normal weekly style is a set of flat twists, which hold up WONDERFULLY to this treatment.
The combination of a protective style, and the thrice a week (plus a weekend DC) moisture treatment seems to be working.

I've been using Profective Mega-Growth Growth Anti-Breakage Lotion but I'm on constantly on the lookout for that moisturize that will give my hair that UMPH:) I'm still looking...I love NTM Silk Touch but I like THICK stuff also:)

for me this works,,, i keep my hair straight ( flat ironed) and for moisture i use Monoi oil, just a tiny bit esp on those ends ( I find that the cleaner my hair is the more moist it will be after using small amounts of oils) then pile all ur hair in a high ponytail, when I take it down my hair is very soft and moisturized, im not really sure why!

neonbright said:
Dove Sheer Moisture Leave In Mist, is the truth. I used it a few days ago on my thin hair and now it full moist bouncy and it smell great. I bought it to use on my baby girls "wash and go" hair it is totally different from my and my hubbies hair, she is a knock off of my grandmother. Very soft, curly and puffy, she loves it also and it works great for moisture on her hair also. And she is 6 this year...

ITA! This stuff is the truth!

I use a spray bottle. It's mostly water with a little conditioner and Infusium23... I spray my hair with it a couple times a day.

I was born in january, so normally I perfer cold weather to warm weather. it wasn't until I joined the forum, that now, I actually look forward to summer! I can't wait until the Spring so that I can wear my hair out more often, and retain more moisture! I hate winter time now!

LadyR said:
WGO on my ends before pincurling has help me alot.

so true! WGO is so nurishing to hair. my WGO, sulfur, coconut oil, and peppermint oil mixture seems to put my hair in it's place this time of year.

neonbright said:

What she said. I love that stuff!

Also, I wash/deep condition more often.

good question..thanks for posting!

what I do is really focus on moisturizing all of my hair especially the ends with ORS moisturizing lotion or UBH dew... then from there I seal with oil (evoo, sweet almond or coconut). Sometimes if I am between washes I just use my spray bottle that I filled with water and then procede with moisturizing lotion and oil for sealing.

As part of my daily regimen, I use Break-thru Moisturizer. It's light weight and keeps my ends under control. I also wear hats with a silk lining during the winter to protect my ends. Beware of wool collars and coats as they too will dry out and cause damage to your hair overtime. Trust me, I learned the hard way!

Basically, my question is, do you have to rewash/rewet the ends to get moisture back in if your hair feels dry after a few days or just apply more grease/lotion,etc.,and how do you keep the moisture for the whole week?

loreal99 said:
I saw the dove leave in mist at Walgreens. Is it the one in the pink bottle with the shimmers?

It's in a light blue bottle. I also like WGO. I recently ordered Lenzi's Request and I mix the two on my scalp and apply on wash day.

tthreat08 said:
....so I'm bored with my hair. It's cold outside, and I feel like my hair is too dry when I wear it out. So, I'm trying to feel positive about the up-do...bun etc. I mean dang! I'll be glad when it warms up, but what are you doing to keep your hair moisturized this winter?

I know! My french roll gets old! But I wear my hair down half the time to break the monotony.

I try to moisturize it morning and night. Sometimes I even take my Ojon Glossing Cream with me to work.

At night, I use a NTM Leave-in and/or Ojon Revitalizing Mist and/or Ojon Glossing Cream before I prepare it for bed. I use the Ojon Revitalizing Mist and or Glossing Cream in the morning for styling. Depending on the style and the need, I might also add a little SAO.

I went to Miami the first week of January and my hair (and skin) loved the humidity! Even though my style fell, my hair was very soft and happy. How I long for summer in Virginia again!

bravenewgirl87 said:
Basically, my question is, do you have to rewash/rewet the ends to get moisture back in if your hair feels dry after a few days or just apply more grease/lotion,etc.,and how do you keep the moisture for the whole week?

well, for me I do have to wash every 3-4 days(2x a week) because if I go longer then my moisture in my hair strands is quickly depleted leaving my hair drier and more brittle and even more breakage. IMO water is the first moisturizing component to combat dryness.. then I seal the wet hair in with oil or an oil moisturizing lotion. If it seems to be more drying in between washes then yes I spray my hair and ends with water before applying lotion and oils. If I feel that my hair is not taking in the moisture then I clarify with suave clarifying shampoo to get rid of product build up.
HTH:)

I've had to wash & condition my hair more often to keep moisture in. I was doing it twice per week. Now I've gone back to once per week, but I keep my hair protected underneath falls, and it doesn't dry out as quickly.

In the mornings I revive my twist-out with NTM Silk Touch or Jamaican Mango & Lime Cactus Leave-In, then seal with either Jojoba Oil or Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Serum. Weekly DC'ing has been helping to retain moisture as well.

I mist my twists daily with infusium 23 diluted with water. Then I apply a dime sized dollop of cantu shea leave-in dliuted with an equal part of shea butter oil. I keep my twists in a high pony so they don't rub on anything. It's boring, but my nape is soft and really growing...

Okay so NTM and Dove seem to be very popular. I will have to try these two products one at a time to see how they add moisture for me. Last night my hair was so dry feeling I did a conditioner wash and soaked it in EVOO, then I put some grease on top of that to seal in the moisture. I'm going to see how this lasts. So far, so good. I've got a nice shine, and it feels good. \

Winter sucks for hair!

Any other suggestions?

I use Infusium 23 due to the C&G method but had not been adding water, now after reading a few posts I can see few use it straight but mixed. I hate the hardness :( when used 100%, I'll add it to my Tulsi, Hawaiian Silky, Amla, MTG spritz mix right now!

I protect my ends with Vitapointe cream. Also on days when I wear my hair in a bun or French roll, I put some Ojon Restorative treatment on first, so my hair can be nourished and protected. If I've worn my hair out and it really needs some help I put some Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose on my ends and seal with Kemi Oyl.

Back