Why do you have a "winter" regimen?????

Do you have a winter regimen? (please post why or why not)

• Yes

Votes: 84 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 57 40.4%

• Total voters
I have one because my scalp does not produce as much of its own moisture during the winter.
Just like the rest of the skin on the body, it can produce it's own moisture (not necessarily enough to keep us happy). In the winter, I don't like the idea of washing away so much of my own moisture so often. I also apply moisturizers more often and am a lot heavier with the oil. Protective styling is also important for me as I don't like the idea of my ends being extra dried out or hitting my array of snagging sweaters.

My plan is to wash every 2-3 weeks in the Winter (after thanksgiving to my anniversary in March).

Also, because I am less active (no hikes, no sweating at the apple orchard, no amusement parks) and no just flat out being greasy I also feel my hair is less dirty.

I also don't like opening my pores as much in the winter.

hth

Last edited:
I live in NJ so I need to use heavier moisturizers because my hair will get dried out. I don't find water to be moisturizing. In fact, if you do not wash an moisturize properly, water will be drying, because it will evaporate and take all the moisture with it (think licking your lips in the winter)

Plus like others said, I do not want to walk out of the house with wet hair!!!

And if the heat (inside) is drying during the winter, wouldn't it be the same for AC in the summer?

Also, is anyone factoring in the dry indoor heat?

The AC in the summer is just blowing cold air around. But in the winter, the heat will evaporate the moisture in the air, making it very dry. This is no different than other parts of your body. Do you ever notice you need more lotion/lotion more frequently in the winter???

Again this is probably contingent on where you live. In the Northeast I feel like this is more straight forward. I could in the midwest or south you can get away with more change

normally during the spr 0r summer... when i co-wash: i can run out the door and my hair dry very quickly... but even with the heat on in my apt: my hair just doesn't dry quickly.. nor in the cold air.

I also find have my hair straight enough to hang over my ears keeps my head warm :yep:

I live in NJ so I need to use heavier moisturizers because my hair will get dried out. I don't find water to be moisturizing. In fact, if you do not wash an moisturize properly, water will be drying, because it will evaporate and take all the moisture with it (think licking your lips in the winter)

Plus like others said, I do not want to walk out of the house with wet hair!!!

Dido :yep: and my lips do get pretty chapped if i lick off my yummy lip gloss. Lmao

My hair regimen is the same all year round. I wash my hair in the evening or on days I know I won't be going out.

I notice that I have more shedding during the winter, so I keep my hair extra moisturized and don't do as many protein treatments as in the spring and summer months.

I wear harsher fabrics, so I usually bun all winter, and I like to cowash too, since my hair could use the extra moisture.

The main reason I wash less in the winter is because I'm constantly doing wngs in the summer... and I'm not feeling wet hair in this cold weather. My winter regimen is pretty much the same as my summer regimen (dc twice a week).. except I just have less cowashes in between. While water is all fun and good in the summer (the warm air moisturizes my hair), wet hair + winter does NOT equal moisture, but dryness and breakage. The exact same reason why people can get away with not lotioning their skin in the summer but must do it religiously in the winter :yep:

I may use heavier products with more moisture. My hair sometimes behaves a little differently during the winter. I don't do a lot of extras anymore though. I am loving simplicity!

I cowash 3/4 times a week in the summer (whilst in box braids), but can't walk about damp headed in the winter. Also my hair dries out alot because of the cold air outside, and then central heating inside, so I moisturise more and seal with heavier oils. When going out I always don a silk scarf under my hats to protect ends from my coats and scarves, and the chapping weather!

I don't have one...

Summer, winter, spring and fall I...
Moisturize daily
Wash/DC weekly (at least)
Henna/Protein monthly

I don't go outside with wet hair in the winter tho...too many factors will contibute to drying, hard, brittle hair

its too cold to be wetting my hair all the time, so I cut down on washing. I bump up my heavier moisturizers to seal moisture and protect from cold weather and wind. Those are the main changes I make for the colder months.

I have the same regimen all year long. The only thing I may change in the winter are the products that I use (i.e., heavier moisturizers, heavier oils, etc.).

I started my journey last winter, and it took me a while to figure out that I couldn't do the same stuff year round. So I definately need a modified regi in the winter. I use heavier moisturizers and DC for a longer time under the dryer. I also use castor oil on my scalp and new growth in the winter. I'll protective style everyday too

Last edited:
I said yes. To avoid the mentioned 'wet hair in cold air' fall/winter situation, I'm considering doing my daily co-washes/wash'n'gos in the evenings in the sink instead of during my morning shower. That way it can air dry while I'm in the house/prepping for bed instead of freezing in the cold morning air...I might spritz the surface of my hair very lightly with water in the morning (followed by a very light oil sealant) in order to style/shape it to my liking, but there is NO way that I'd go out in the cold of fall/winter with the level of wetness that I get away with in spring/summer! :nono: And I don't have time to sit under a dryer in the winter/fall mornings...Has anyone tried this btw?

I don't think my regimen changes as much as my product selection during the winter. I choose products that have little to no glycerin and other humectants in them because the humidity is normally so low during the winter.

If you know anything about most humectants, they work best in climates where the humidity is at least 65% or higher. If the humidity is lower, the humectants pull the moisture from the scalp as opposed to from the air, which incidently will dry out the hair.

I use products that are mostly cone free too and that is why Elucence makes such a great winter product line for my hair - they are cone and glycerine-free. I do wash less but moisturize more during the winter as well. Again, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner is perfect for DCing and doubles as a leave-in conditioner.

Another excellent winter hair product line is Mastey found on www.sleekhair.com.

I tuck my ends in more during the winter (buns, French twists, etc) to keep them out of the elements. Because of this I am able to increase my use of oils and creams on my hair. I use way more EVCO and EVOO on my length in the winter than I do in the summer. Since I'm not concerned with swing I use heavier leave in products.

I put no, but that is because this will be my first winter with my new found passion for having healthy hair. Last winter all i did was the same ponytail with gel and occasionally went to the Egyptians to get my hair blow dried and flat ironed. I am going to try to stick to little or no straightening of my hair and stick with bunning and an occasional twist out for the winter.

I am more interested in finding out if there are certain hats or head gear that others use for the winter. I find like some have said that the materials some of these things are made with might not be the best for my hair, no matter how I style it. I am in and out of the cold weather depending on the day. My only idea was maybe a silk/satin scarf on my hair and the hat over it.

I voted Yes. My hair doesn't retain moisture as well in the winter and its a double whammy because i dont like to wash my hair as often in the winter either :look:. I concentrate on DCing with moisturizing condits, i do more hot oil preshampoos, i oil my scalp every now and then during the week w/castor oil too. I detest protective styling, but i definitely do more of it in the winter to prevent my hair from snagging on my clothes.

This year i think im going to get through the winter just fine, i found the perfect daily moisturizer and a superb deep moisturizing conditioner (silk elements megasilk).

This is my first year as a natural and I live in the north east. The winters hair are cold and bitter and I will be spending quite a bit of time this semester outside. So I don't plan on doing wg's because I will prob be sick. I'm prob gonna braid my hair up this winter until it gets longer. Or co wash every other night and spritz in the morning t refresh the look.

I don't have a winter regimen mainly because it doesn't get super cold where I live. I keep the same weekly wash schedule and wear my hair in the same style (twists). If I wore my hair loose, my routine would have to change because it involves co-washing daily and I don't like going out on cold mornings with wet hair. For me twists are great for winter because my hair holds onto moisture better with them. Another reason that I don't need to change my routine is that my hair likes heavy products (oils and butters), so I use them year round. If I used glycerin based products, I would have to give them up in the winter because it wouldn't work as well.

The indoor air is drier in the winter than the summer 1. because there is little to no humidity in the air outdoors and 2. the air is heated and adding heat to something can suck the moisture out of it. Ever notice how the inside of your nose can dry out in the winter? Its the lack of moisture in the air.

Last edited:
I live in San Diego :-)
The temp. doesn't change enough here for me to have to change regimens....plus it's usually in braids, so it wouldn't change much anyway.

I don't have a winter regimen. I do everything the same... this winter I might try having my braids (w/o extensions) in for more than the usual 2 weeks just to have a longer break from my hair and not necessarily because it's winter.

Back