How do you protect your hair during the winter??

Diya

Before I knew anything about haircare, I never changed my hair habits when winter came around. I live in a climate with harsh winters, and despite the cold, wind and whatever, my hair would either be out blowing around or tucked into a cottony hat :eek:...neither of which could've been healthy for my hair!

Now that I'm a bit wiser about how to take care of my hair, I want to make sure winter doesn't ruin all the progress I've made. To keep my hair moisturized and protected, I want to wear it up most of the time, but protective styles don't really work well with hats and ear muffs :lachen:. I"m curious how you ladies handle your hair in winter. Thanks in advance!

Buns, then cover with a baggie, then cover with a a cute little scarf that matches my outfit... What a boring winter this will be, but come spring... WATCH OUT... I hope to have gained some inches....

Updos and buns....that's it. I am a great fan of the classic, fitted, black turtleneck in cashmere and wool or wool blends..short sleeve, elbow sleeve, 3/4 sleeve only.... during the winter months and I love great coats and textured scarves so I have to wear my hair up. This will be my very first winter where I am going to be so attentive to my hair. I'm excited to see the results already.

Updos and buns....that's it. I am a great fan of the classic, fitted, black turtleneck in cashmere and wool or wool blends..short sleeve, elbow sleeve, 3/4 sleeve only.... during the winter months and I love great coats and textured scarves so I have to wear my hair up. This will be my very first winter where I am going to be so attentive to my hair. I'm excited to see the results already.

Yeah I know what you mean! I can only dream how much my hair will love me for not letting it whip around in the 20 degree weather and rub up against wooly coats and scarves!...I guess I'll have to get with the ear muff look b/c I'm not seeing how I can fit a hat over a bun or claw clip without looking like a conehead :lachen:

Great suggestions ladies... please keep 'em coming!

I'm spending my winter in cold arse Wyoming and I will bun,bun,bun.
On top of that I will moisture my bun like crazy and seal with a oil/greae mix because I feel oil as sealend alone won't be enough.
It's going to be an greasy winter but I don't care.:nono:
I will DC weekly with warm condi and I'm not sure how I feel about stretching relaxers in such a cold climate,I can see the pro's and con's to stretching.
Last winter I wore my silk scarf the second I got home because of the drying air from the heater,I guess I'll stick to that that again.

I always wear a hat in the winter time. If the hat itself is not lined, then I wrap my hair in a silk scarf, and then put on the hat. Proper covering for the hair is 90% of the solution, I believe. Otherwise, any moisturizing, bunning, etc. will be greatly compromised.

I always wear a hat in the winter time. If the hat itself is not lined, then I wrap my hair in a silk scarf, and then put on the hat. Proper covering for the hair is 90% of the solution, I believe. Otherwise, any moisturizing, bunning, etc. will be greatly compromised.

Thanks for this tip! I never thought of that. I NEVER wear a hat in the winter. I have many of them but always end up opting to go out without one. Now I think I will also do the lined hats when I'm out in the winter for long periods anyway. You are right..that cold dry air is a killer on the hair.

Good advice! Thanks... guess I have a few months now to search for a cute hat with silk lining...

Here in sunny SoCal it will be just plain ole protective styles but when I need to travel to the east for work I will have a hat or something covering my head to get from airport to hotel, hotel to meeting, meeting to dinner, dinner to hotel....well you get the point. :yep:

I make it my business to visit the steam room at our university's gym. I have thick conditioner in my hair and steam for about 20 mins.

I'll be wearing my hair up MUCH more this winter. This is mostly because I've taken to oiling my hair with Global Goddess Coconut Revitalizing Oil 2x per day, and putting Jane Carter Nourish and Shine on my ends 2x a day. I wil only wash my hair at most 2x per week, but it's more like 1.5 times. So, because all the oil and butters make my ends look greasy, updos are all I can do....

I've just discovered the french roll (I knew about them before, but mine are very anemic looking, so what I "discovered" was putting something in the middle of my hair to make the french roll look "bulkier".)

So this winter it will be updo after updo, with maybe 1x per week with my hair down. I usually will wear earmuffs or a loosely wrapped pashmina around my head while I'm waiting for the train. If it's frigid out, I'll have the hood of my down comforter on anyway.

Also, I've invested in dangly earrings. So when I'm wearing something that would look better with my hair down, the earring (9/10 times) will allow me to put my hair up.

Great question, BTW!

I just hope I can keep up with the washing only 1 time a week. It seems to be really helping my ends.

It's going to be buns galore for me this winter. I would wear hats, but they tend to rub my edges. My hair has gotten too long for me to braid it myself anymore, plus the SO prefers to see my natural hair (I kinda like it too now:yep:). I'm also going to invest in 2 human hair half-wigs, one straight and one curly. If I can't find them, I'll make them myself.

It's going to be buns galore for me this winter. I would wear hats, but they tend to rub my edges. My hair has gotten too long for me to braid it myself anymore, plus the SO prefers to see my natural hair (I kinda like it too now:yep:). I'm also going to invest in 2 human hair half-wigs, one straight and one curly. If I can't find them, I'll make them myself.

wow, just checked out your fotki...you've made such wonderful progress in 2007! so...yeah you'd better keep that lovely hair on lockdown this winter!! :jail:

I've just discovered the french roll (I knew about them before, but mine are very anemic looking, so what I "discovered" was putting something in the middle of my hair to make the french roll look "bulkier".)

I'd love to try some updated variations on the french roll, but I could never seem to master the basic french roll without it looking...lumpy :perplexed It would really be a great way to switch up the bun look while still keeping the ends tucked in and protected.

I've never done braids or wigs before, although it does seem like you could minimize the exposure of your real hair this way :scratchch... I think I'll just work with what I've got, though. Do you ladies use heavier moisturizers in the winter, or just apply more of your regular ones?

I'm hoping to have mastered my twists by then.:grin: Who knows. I may have enough hair to have a lil pony tail by then.:rolleyes:

Maybe someone will create a "protect your hair for old man winter" challenge starting the in November and ending in March...

I have to wear a hat in the Winter, but once I started learning about my hair, I realized that my wool caps weren't very kind to my strands. So, last year I bought one of those satin headwraps from the drugstore, cut off the excess (the sections you tie around your head) and sewed in into my favorite wool cap. I stitched the satin material into the cap around its perimeter as close to the edge as I could get, leaving gaps in between my stitches so my cap could stretch. This hand-sewn lining made it though all of last Winter and multiple washes in the machine :grin:. It was very cheap (the wrap was $2.99) and my hair was always neat (you know how knit caps can cause static and muss your hair when you remove them?) and moisturized :yep:. I can post pictures in my fokti this weekend if anyone's interested.

Back