How do you protect your hair during the winter??

Buns and twists..which I then put into a bun. I love my wool peacoat and sweaters so I just keep my hair up most of the time.

wow Aurora!!great idea!This sounds like something that would definitely be benificial to my hair come the harsh winter months.Well i am already in braids so i will be keeping my braids up until the end of this year.Last night i sprayed my hair with my homemade leave in,rubbed some coconut oil all over my head and down the shaft of my braid to where my real hair stops,and then i applied Sareca's red palm oil cream to my hair and baggied my whole head.I tied it down with my satin scarf to make sure it didn't come off. When i woke up this morning,it was soooo soft and moisturized(my wild new growth as well as some of the lil'ends sticking out due to my cut).i was just overjoyed inside:look:!No but this was my firt time baggying,which is why i am so excited about this and can see how it can help during the wintertime.(Jumps up and punches the air with fist!!!) I think i'm ready for wintertime!:yay:Thanks to LHCF i'm seeing progress already!

Last edited:
I will by hiding my hair in phoney ponys,buns, and up do's. I might even do some texlaxed twist but I have to see how they lay. I like the idea of covering my up do's with a pajmina I have to look into that. Other wise I will be wearing a page boy cap over a low bun with a satin scaf. It sad to day but I am going to have to let go of the wng's. For fun I will wear them occasionally.They will be covered with a rasta cap and a satin bonnet outside.

I will be wearing ponytails (since I can't seem to do a bun to save my life) and wearing a silk hat that I've been thinking about purchasing from tenderheaded.com.

I have to wear a hat in the Winter, but once I started learning about my hair, I realized that my wool caps weren't very kind to my strands. So, last year I bought one of those satin headwraps from the drugstore, cut off the excess (the sections you tie around your head) and sewed in into my favorite wool cap. I stitched the satin material into the cap around its perimeter as close to the edge as I could get, leaving gaps in between my stitches so my cap could stretch. This hand-sewn lining made it though all of last Winter and multiple washes in the machine :grin:. It was very cheap (the wrap was $2.99) and my hair was always neat (you know how knit caps can cause static and muss your hair when you remove them?) and moisturized :yep:. I can post pictures in my fokti this weekend if anyone's interested.
We want pictures!!

Well this winter it connditoner and moisturizer my hair drys out in the winter real bad.so its two LF WIGS only going to see my hair on the week end:blush:trying to get some growth i have to hide ever winter until MAY winter is so hard on my hair my hair will break off if i try to show it The wind AND THE COLD DRY HAIR is a :nono::nono::nono:for me:lachen:oh and my bt is under the LF.:yep: MS LOLA AND REX GOING TAKE CARE OF ME THIS WINTER:lachen::lachen:

Baggying for winter is definitely the way to go. I'm just getting into it for the first time and it's keeping my hair so moisturized. I really need to find some nice baggy/bun covers so I can wear a baggy all the time and hide it. Any ideas? I will also have to go back to washing only once a week without deviating.:yep:

bumping... any more tips out there, ladies??

I STILL haven't reconciled how I'm going to keep my head warm and my hair safe at the same time :ohwell:.

I cornrow my natural but, I leave only the bangs out. Then I wear 1/2 wigs. I take the 1/2 wig off every night before bed. I then spray my cornrows with Infusium 23 and apply an oil to my hair and scalp.

This method works very well for me. In return I get a whole lot of hair growth.

The key to wearing 1/2 wigs is, not to put the comb attachments down deep in your hair. Just slightly place it on there.

I get no breakage this way.

Check out my Fotki Album to see different styles!

I am going to weave it up this winter. I will keep the weave in for 6 weeks, take a 2 week break and put in another weave for 6 weeks. This will cover me for 14 weeks.

Funny thing, my hair seems to grow and flourish most between December and April, maybe because I'm only washing once a week and leaving it the heck alone...I've never really thought about it. Where I live, it's starting to get a bit cold already and it stays that way until late April/early May. I wear a lot of hats because they're cute and conserve body heat. I'm really interested in hair falls and may have to check it out. I went to the BSS Wednesday and I obviously looked lost because the lady asked me if I needed help :perplexed I don't know the 1st thing about wigs, half wigs and falls but I know I wanna keep my hair up as much as possible this winter. I was thinking some cute knotted scarves w/newsboys and fedoras on top during the weekends and buns during the week. I did my 1st frenchbraid today and it came out cute so w/practice I'm sure it'll get better and I can add that to the rotation as well.

bumping... any more tips out there, ladies??

I STILL haven't reconciled how I'm going to keep my head warm and my hair safe at the same time :ohwell:.

Oh and some of my friends who knew laughed (but still never knew) when I told them I had a plastic cap on under my silk scarf, UNDER my winter hat! No one knew, unless i told them because i was still dressed and had my makeup on. :grin:

I'm considering a series of sew-ins.

I almost killed myself last winter trying to keep moisture from being sucked out of my hair by the cold air. Not again. :nono:

I had never heard of snoods before, but I know what they are after seeing the pic. If I could find a really cute one, I'd rock it in the winter on days when I was more dressed up...but doubt it would go well with my ususal everyday lab coat look :ohwell:

Wigs and weaves seem to be a popular protective choice for many ladies here... and it makes total sense as a way to protect your own hair from the elements.

I've never tried either, and I'm not really sure if it's for me. I'm still very much in search of alternatives for protecting my hair from damage from moisture-zapping scarves and hats and dry winter winds. Maybe the solution in the end will just be to keep doing what I've been doing.. just up my moisture levels. :rolleyes:

keeping the humidifier on full blast 24/7
heavier moisturizers and conditioners
my silk hat and no wool garments
buns or pinning hair up

Back