WHY WHY WHY

:curtain: Just stopping in for a second...

Another perspective is the deep influence of family in the black community. Atleast for quite a few ppl I know..you're taught hair 'advice' from your aunts, grandmothers, mother, sistas etc. and alot of the time its OL' SCHOOL ideas that are passed down, and you don't really question it.:ohwell:

So now with the enlightening techniques via Youtube, LHCF etc..More of us have learned about another way of haircare that can truly GROW our hair. It's all about TLC and being willing to sittdown and learn.:fan:

Alot of your questions have been answered in so much detail by the ladies previous to me (All that talk about the Mother Land..I'm bout to watch that 400 years without a comb series:antlers:)..I just thought I'd bring up how Family Traditions has a strong impact on the way many of us were brought up to think about our hair:look:

I didn't make any back-handed insults, whatever that is. I said that you should stop acting above it all, because you understood the point that was being made. I wrote everything out, clear as day. There was nothing backhanded or sly about it.

As far as the weaves are concerned, you have your experiences and I have mine. We don't have to agree.*shrug*

The "People" acting brand new comment was backhanded & immature, IMO. Please don't pretend to have super powers and "know" what is on my mind. I expressed EXACTLY what was on my mind. No addendum needed from you. Let me have my opinion. Please & Thanks.

OK, I totally think that weave is easy for them to do. To them, it is another protective style. Not all women have jacked up hair under weaves.:rolleyes:

OK, I totally think that weave is easy for them to do. To them, it is another protective style. Not all women have jacked up hair under weaves.:rolleyes:

LOL y'all are just too much. OP never said everyone who wears weaves has jacked up hair under them--so not sure why folks keep harping on the fact that it's not the case. She was however wondering about those who do have jacked up hair and yet continue wearing weaves appearing to ignore the status of their own hair, like Naomi for example. I do think convenience might be her reason, and maybe just not having time or concern to really care for her hair. I don't think in Naomi's case "protective styling" is the reason.

Why do people dying of cancer continue to smoke? is a question which in no way claims that all people dying of cancer continue to smoke. It is however pointing out a fact that happens in the world so let's focus folks and answer what's asked not what we ourselves assume OP is thinking. And yes, I do know being on the forum for a long time then coming here with a question that's been asked umpteen times can be annoying but I usually just KIM, or if I really care, give a link and KIM. I don't read every single thread posted and can understand how someone might miss a topic that might not have been interesting to them before. Yeah there's the search button...I know, but like I said KIM or give a link, and plant a seed in the name of world peace.

Really? I think relaxed hair is cheaper if you are a DIYer (ETA: oh, and this may have more to do with the fact that I relax every 5-6 months). Most natural products cost a good amount more and I spent WAAAAAYYYYY more time styling my transitioning hair than I do my relaxed. Plus I don't like puffs (on ME). I like braided, intricate natural styles, which take much more time.

All in all, I think it's a personal preference for some. I'm not neglecting my body, health and all that. I don't have a desire to cover up my own hair because of some deep issues. That's a blanket statement and, frankly, that's taking it way too deep for me. I'm sure others feel this way too. We relaxed heads shouldn't be accused of self hatred or lack of caring for our bodies because of a hair style choice.

Um....I'm not quite sure how you inferred that I was talking about relaxers. I was talking about wigs which is what the "health" conversation was about. No where in my post did I mention relaxers. I even said people were neglecting their own hair. :ohwell:

hmmmmmmmmmm....I really thought these were easy questions for black women to answer on their own. We all probably know someone who can answer the ones we don't know ourselves. To me its just not this complicated. My personal opinion......

Um....I'm not quite sure how you inferred that I was talking about relaxers. I was talking about wigs which is what the "health" conversation was about. No where in my post did I mention relaxers. I even said people were neglecting their own hair. :ohwell:

Oh, my bad. Didn't mean any offense. It wasn't said specifically.

Hmmm. Very complicated indeed.

Your own hair (natural or relaxed) looks good and is healthy when you know what to do with it and it will grow if she wants to grow hair. it has nothing to do with being black. It may appear as if black hair may "naturally" be short because of improper care, a choice to keep it at a certain length, or as in another post *lack of Vitamin D*, contributing to slower growth. Let us SPEAK good things instead of..."well it is what it is, you are black and no forget about all of our hair growing to longer lengths". There are too many variables involved to state such.

I also do take note that in a lot of commercials they feature the what is considered the funki-fied-fro. Which in my opinion is basically the unkempt hair that is not combed and then a head band is put on to the create an unkempt broccoli appearance. I mean no wonder people are afraid to go natural or that our hair is unruly. Some may find the style fine. But to each his own.

As black women, sometimes we may suffer from low-self esteem AND NOT KNOW IT!!! We do so many things that come from our subconscious that we are unaware of our own reasonings for doing something.

This is when we have to be honest with ourselves and ask...why am I doing this? Why am I doing that? And do I keep giving others power to control my subconscious when *****I***** have the power to influence other individuals(positively) with what I do or say...and yes...how I look.

AA

Girl, you gone get me fired! I almost fell out of my chair laughing at this. :lachen:

LOL y'all are just too much. OP never said everyone who wears weaves has jacked up hair under them--so not sure why folks keep harping on the fact that it's not the case. She was however wondering about those who do have jacked up hair and yet continue wearing weaves appearing to ignore the status of their own hair, like Naomi for example. I do think convenience might be her reason, and maybe just not having time or concern to really care for her hair. I don't think in Naomi's case "protective styling" is the reason.

OK, I took it the wrong way. :look: Sorry, OP!:blush::heart:

Back