• Only when I see visible tracks

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I can tell by the texture

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • I can tell by the length

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just know

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Some combination of the above (please explain)

Votes: 35 51.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You all are silly. But I guess I agree with CurlyMoo. When people compliment my wigs I usually say "thank you" followed by "its a wig". But I don't think I've felt obligated to keep it real. I just don't see the point of people trying to hide the fact that they're wearing fake hair.

You all are silly. But I guess I agree with CurlyMoo. When people compliment my wigs I usually say "thank you" followed by "its a wig".

This is funny because I did the opposite last week. This lady was gushing on and on about how my new haircut fit my face so well. I said thank you, and just KIM. She is going to have a lot of questions when that wig comes off and she sees that I grew about seven inches overnight :lachen:

This is funny because I did the opposite last week. This lady was gushing on and on about how my new haircut fit my face so well. I said thank you, and just KIM. She is going to have a lot of questions when that wig comes off and she sees that I grew about seven inches overnight :lachen:

I should also note that I provide the extra info its a one-on-one conversation.

If I'm in elevator full of people or something like that, I'll just say thank you.

None of the above Usually it's by the amount of neglect I see on the weave itself. I figure people somehow think the weave will take care of itself OR that they don't know how to care for it...then they just neglect it. Relatively few people would neglect their own hair to this extent, so that's a major reason I can tell it's fake. Their hair underneath must be a true nightmare if they let the visible hair look so bad.

You esp see that w/ micros. So many horribly neglect those.

I'm not the best weave spotter tho...if you keep it tight and right, I just assume it's yours.

I am usually able to recognize it by the texture and the discrepancy in thickness between the hair and the edges.

Relaxed hair just looks...different. Even the weave that's processed to look like relaxed hair doesn't achieve the look completely and that's how I know.

Two of the biggest giveaways: texture and sheen

WHY to people get that EXTRA shiny plastic deepest blue black and try to act like they hair gon' blend with that:nono:

Most ladies get the Asian hair and I dont care what you do, our hair texture aint gon match that PERIOD so thats usually a giveaway

Alot of times the hair left out is "bumped" mad hard so they can blend it...its just pretty obvious most of the time.

They'll have track bumps or the worst of the worst tracks SHOWING:blush::nono:

I had a friend a fellow natural tell me earlier this year that she just assumed I was rockin tracks all these years because of my length and how straight I get it and I was kinda upset......but part of me really can't blame her.

Last edited:
How bout when people scratch their head and the whole entire head of hair moves right along with it...

I'm dissapointed to find out that ALL of the black girls who I thought had long hair were rocking some type of tracks...

why are you so concerned to the point of being disappointed? :ohwell:

you know all those threads that talk about how many people in everyday life do you know that actually have hair longer than SL... well, i always was thinking that you guys were wrong and that plenty of the girls where i am have that long hair... turns out i was wrong

its NBD. i said disappointed but i'm not "so concerned"

How bout when people scratch their head and the whole entire head of hair moves right along with it...

I'm dissapointed to find out that ALL of the black girls who I thought had long hair were rocking some type of tracks...

Actually, if I have a lot of new growth mine does that. The entire head moves just like a wig.:lachen:

I guess I think people should spend more time trying to grow out their own hair long instead of wondering if someone's hair is real or not

I guess I think people should spend more time trying to grow out their own hair long instead of wondering if someone's hair is real or not

was that aimed at me? if so, you should follow your own advice and not worry about what other people are concerning themselves with

Amen kiddo....I can't figure out what a weave on someone else's head has to do w/ what's on YOUR head? Some folks act like THEY are wearing the jacked up yak hair and not someone else. :lachen: It's like if some sistah has a weave, it's confirmation that others can't grow their hair. Totally illogical.

Last edited:

I have grown my REAL hair to waist length! And I still wonder why someone's hair is real or not! It's one of my many hobbies.:yep:

I have grown my REAL hair to waist length! And I still wonder why someone's hair is real or not! It's one of my many hobbies.:yep:

You are a minority LOL. If only majority of the ones bothered by weaves or making fun of wigs were anywhere near such a length. :drunk:

Dang, do y'all wear a weave or something?

If not, then why do you care about why we wonder whether or not it's a weave?

Im on a halfwig kick at the moment actually. :)

How are people disappointed by other's people's hair? Why cant the anti weave crew use their OWN hair to show the world that black women can grow hair long instead of relying on others?

We dont owe you jack**** :lachen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Im on a halfwig kick at the moment actually. :)

How are people disappointed by other's people's hair? Why cant the anti weave crew use their OWN hair to show the world that black women can grow hair long instead of relying on others?

We dont owe you jack**** :lachen:

I only saw one person say she was "disappointed." Everyone else was just sharing ways that they can tell that it's a weave.

It's not like we are saying wearing a weave makes you a bad person or says anything bad about your characters. We're just saying we can tell when the hair isn't yours. Sheesh!

I wore half wigs all spring and all summer and I know there were some black chicks with good eyes who knew that wasn't my hair. The only people who had no clue were not black and that's cause they don't know any better.

Last edited by a moderator:
This Saturday, I was at the Staples on 125th st, and I saw this girl on line in front of me with some beautiful relaxed hair, or so I thought. I waited, and kinda stragically created a moment where I could ask her, Is that your hair? We do that in Harlem, I don't know about other places, you might catch that beat-down somebody referred to earlier, but the key is in how you say it: you have to kinda mouth the words, in the event she doesn't want anybody to know. So, I'm like, Is that your hair? cuz I'm part of a hair board, and we were talking about how there aren't many black women irl with MBL hair. Very graciously, she said it wasn't "hers", and, honestly, I was a little disappointed, too. I know what homegirl meant when she said that, because I really wanted that to be her hair, like she was on my team or something. smh. I spend too much time on this board.

hairsothick, lets just say some of the same people who went gungho in the Chris Rock thread about women who wear wigs/weaves are the same one taking swipes here. It's beyond this thread, dear ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back