WHY WHY WHY

I recently saw a lot of healthy looking hair, actually more and more big chops, natural curls/coils and healthy well maintained relaxed hair. I see improvement and acceptance. I'm really liking the influence youtube videos that give instruction and information are having. This site and other hair forums have really helped many people. So I think it's getting better, we still have some work to do though.

As more women wear their healthy hair in public along with the damaging effects of constant weaving come to the fore, many are seeking healthier options. So just being a member here and you wearing your hair out in public will have a tremendous influence on what others believe they can do for themselves.

OP, there is a reason why the majority of us came to this forum. deep down, we knew it had to be more to this hair thing, than what society has been feeding us for years. a lot of us haven't seen the light yet. it is what it is.

Very nice post.

Why is relaxed hair looked at as more elegant?
Supply and demand if people in corporate circles or wealthy circles
had been rocking natural hair it would be the demand but natural
hair is just starting to come back what I mean by just is the past
say 10 years and it's really with a bang the past 3 with all the natural
lines and regular stores like target carrying products specifically for naturals.
The other reason is (please don't stone me I include myself in the following)
Some naturals are still at a loss when it comes to style. I've seen naturals walk
out of a salon and their hair looked dry, disarray, and just bad for a regular day
but they go to an interview or fancy restaurant and think they'll be seen as classy.
Who you are should come first but how you display who you are comes first instead.
I know being natural is best for me but even when people post about elegant or professional hairstyles they barely get 20 responses with pictures or links and then when you look at the pics it's not elegant at all. I know I have to step my own game up when it comes to that. I mean even in that curly girl book LOL people said "oh she included styles too" ROFLMAO the ONE style that "my" hair could rock without flat ironing is the mohawk thing and it was in no way elegant while the looser curls had a few to pick from.
Now if a "natural big wig" lol could only think of one then to me its like dang is it that hard to invent elegant styles or do people really think our hair can't be elegant.

Well I get what you mean BUT I think her issue was what she said after...
With actual hair being unhealthy. In that tense they are harming someone...
The most important person in their life... Self

Women wear weave because they want to..big deal. end of story. I seriously don't understand why some women take what other women do to their hair to the heart so much. Its their head, and they are not harming anyone soo keep it moving.simple. :look:

Well I get what you mean BUT I think her issue was what she said after...
With actual hair being unhealthy. In that tense they are harming someone...
The most important person in their life... Self

Um... Hair is dead. Whether or not one's hair is damaged has no baring on their physical health.

It's the generational comb popping, I'm telling you! ;)

Who else remembers sitting between their mom's knees or on a stool getting their hair done?

Rake, rake ("Ow, ow").

"You better stop crying before I give you something to cry about."

"Owhowowowow."

Pop!

And don't even get me started on the fear and sizzling of the straightening comb! Aghhhh!

No? Just me? Nevermind...

It's the generational comb popping, I'm telling you! ;)

Who else remembers sitting between their mom's knees or on a stool getting their hair done?

Rake, rake ("Ow, ow").

"You better stop crying before I give you something to cry about."

"Owhowowowow."

Pop!

And don't even get me started on the fear and sizzling of the straightening comb! Aghhhh!

No? Just me? Nevermind...

^^ Nope - there are plenty who tell this story. It's not my story though. I liked getting my hair pressed, the warmth of the comb felt good coming close to my skin (but not burning it). It was relaxing. Maybe this is because pressing was just a sometime, special occasion thing and no one forced me to do it.

On a different note, I hope someday that hair boards will recognize that human hair grows to different lengths - this is basic physiology and doesn't mean you're a poor, unfortunate black woman who hasn't found hair boards yets. Fact is not everyone has long hair and not everyone's going to grow long hair. You don't need to have unhealthy hair but it doesn't have to be long.

Um... Hair is dead. Whether or not one's hair is damaged has no baring on their physical health.

Hair issues have alot of influence on one's mental health, including one's desire to constantly cover up their own hair, spend more of their time and money caring for something unnatural, all the while neglecting what grows out of their own body.

Why is relaxed hair looked at as more elegant?
Supply and demand if people in corporate circles or wealthy circles
had been rocking natural hair it would be the demand but natural
hair is just starting to come back what I mean by just is the past
say 10 years and it's really with a bang the past 3 with all the natural
lines and regular stores like target carrying products specifically for naturals.
The other reason is (please don't stone me I include myself in the following)
Some naturals are still at a loss when it comes to style. I've seen naturals walk
out of a salon and their hair looked dry, disarray, and just bad for a regular day
but they go to an interview or fancy restaurant and think they'll be seen as classy.
Who you are should come first but how you display who you are comes first instead.
I know being natural is best for me but even when people post about elegant or professional hairstyles they barely get 20 responses with pictures or links and then when you look at the pics it's not elegant at all. I know I have to step my own game up when it comes to that. I mean even in that curly girl book LOL people said "oh she included styles too" ROFLMAO the ONE style that "my" hair could rock without flat ironing is the mohawk thing and it was in no way elegant while the looser curls had a few to pick from.
Now if a "natural big wig" lol could only think of one then to me its like dang is it that hard to invent elegant styles or do people really think our hair can't be elegant.

Agreed. So many of the natural hair styles are presented as "edgy" or "funky", I'm just struggling to find something other than a cropped cut that is really doing it. Or (no offense to anyone) there's a flower in the cloud of hair.

I think a real issue is the shine and appearance of smoothness. The things that generally define healthy hair - shine, smoothness, movement - is not the norm for many 4 naturals. Even when the hair is soft - it can look rough and untouchable. That's why people are always shocked when they feel it.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

So I am trying to figure something out. Why are so many black women ashamed of their hair?
Have you ever seen the movie 400 Years Without a Comb? (links below) It might answer your questions. It's amazing how ghosts from the past can haunt future generations simply from what they hear from those who experienced it.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cMf1heTa6A
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=winJvvYCS20
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvMvNgFJ8zU
Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRwLkS7W4oM
Part 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-FBFIA1Hks
Part 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbXLbZhivOM

Why do so many black women wear weave when they have torn up hair underneath?
You just answered your own question. Their hair is "torn up" as you put it, so why would any sane woman want to be seen in public with hair that is not looking good? Just like our ancestors wore scarves to cover their unkempt hair, so too do these women wear weaves to cover their "torn up" hair because they have their pride. It takes patience and faith to grow a healthy head of hair after damage and some of these people don't have the tools to do that. They'd rather just ignore the problem and put on a brave face to the world. It's human nature. It's why the alcoholic hides her drink, or the junkie makes sure she keeps her puncture wounds hidden, or the abused wife smiles and acts as if everything is OK. Not facing our problems is apparently the easier, albeit chicken way, to deal with them.

Why do so many black women believe it is in the genes (actual answer I got over and over when I interviewed women why many black women in this certain community don't have long hair) that black women simply cannot grow long hair?

Because many of them have adopted haircare methods that were never meant for our hair which therefore lead to low retention. Also many having never worn natural hair are at a loss on how to care for it, and try to treat it like they did their relaxed hair. I don't need to address the damage chemical treatments can cause if not used properly. So put all those together and history seems to tell them what they come to believe to be fact.

I have wanted long hair since I was knee-high. I had never known it to be any longer than 5-6 inches until 2001-2003 after I discovered www.blackwomenrejoice.com and adopted new haircare methods and saw it grow to almost twice that length. I was already in my 30's. Had I never found Brenda's site or even done a research online, I might've been one of those who believe my terminal length was 5-6 inches.

People thought the world was flat until they learned otherwise. Education is just what's lacking.

Why is relaxed hair viewed as more elegant as opposed to natural hair?
Refer to the answer to your first question.

Besides just the hauntings from a time when our hair had no tools to manage it, as kids grow up, their dolls have hair that is nothing like the real thing (if you have type 4 hair) so kids become so good at caring for hair that looks more like relaxed hair. So that hair is more familiar to them and easier for them to care for and make elegant.

It's a sensitive topic but I'll go for it, since it's something that I find socially interesting.

Why are so many black women ashamed of their hair?
Based on American history, black slaves were repeatedly told by their masters that they were inferior, subhuman, and unattractive. If you read the Willie Lynch Letter: The Making of a Slave, it provides a real eye-opening phenomenon that has transcended down to this very generation. Wille Lynch, a prominent slave owner (where the term "lynching is derived"), focused on psychologically destroying his black slaves, not just by physical beatings alone, and he shared his tactics with other slave owners. He wanted to "destroy the mind, and keep the body" and he did that by pitting them against each other and inciting envy. He pitted the old vs. the young, the light-skinned vs. dark-skinned, etc. It even had to do with hair. The shinier, the larger, the silkier the curls, the greater the acceptance among white masters. This left other slaves envious, and in turn, created the "good hair" idea, the "light-skinned is superior" idea, among other things. I would have to say that Lynch was very successful when he said his goal was to keep blacks enslaved "for hundreds of years" since a lot of women still hold that "good hair is straight and silky and bad hair is kinky, coarse, and nappy" ideal.

Why do so many black women wear weave when they have torn up hair underneath?

Some women wear weaves because that is what makes them beautiful. They are dissatisfied with their hair (healthy or not) because it's not long/straight/silky/shiny. Of course, there are women who wear weaves for the protective nature (like me), but there are plenty of other women who just think their hair is inferior and decide to create the illusion of "good hair" in their minds by wearing weaves. Without them, they don't feel confident or beautiful enough.

Why do so many black women believe it is in the genes that black women simply cannot grow long hair?

This idea has been passed from generations to generations, all coming back from the slavery period. Slaves didn't have the necessary tools to care for their hair so they resorted to bacon grease and other counterproductive means to tame their hair. They realized that their hair retention was stunted, but combining this with the repeated sayings of them being inferior, they simply came to the realization that it was in their genes.

Why is relaxed hair viewed as more elegant as opposed to natural hair?

Slaves were told that their hair was like "sheep wool," an unattractive and insulting reference to make them feel inferior so even before the Emancipation, they were concocting ways to make their hair appear straighter to find approval in the eyes of their masters. After the Emancipation, blacks wanted to feel socially acceptable so they began emulating their white counterparts. This included hair straightening and skin whitening methods. The former is still used today because that's the idea that has been passed from generation to generation. With the media constantly portraying long, silky, straight hair as the norm for beauty, having relaxed hair has been the only means for some to achieve this look.

NOTE: This is by no means a blanket statement saying all black women who wear weaves or relaxed their hair have this mentality. But it gives an idea as to where these ideals originated.

I suggest checking out the book "Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America." That book gives unbelievable insight into the history of hair among African Americans. It's sad but it's the truth. Identifying and being comfortable discussing the truth is a good start towards moving forward from that psychologically crippling mindset that has been ingrained in the minds of black women for centuries.

Hair issues have alot of influence on one's mental health, including one's desire to constantly cover up their own hair, spend more of their time and money caring for something unnatural, all the while neglecting what grows out of their own body.

So a person who doesn't think taking care of hair is important has to have mental issues now?? It can't just be something that isn't important to them? Oh lawd... I need a break from this board :look:
:fistshake:

nevermind I'm fasting lol

Same here. I'm fasting from this board. Starting... 2 day!

In the meantime I'll start a charity to help these poor mentally anguished women who aren't interested growing hair. What is wrong with them?! They have to be hurting something awful under those wigs :nono:

Hmmm. Very complicated indeed.

Your own hair (natural or relaxed) looks good and is healthy when you know what to do with it and it will grow if she wants to grow hair. it has nothing to do with being black. It may appear as if black hair may "naturally" be short because of improper care, a choice to keep it at a certain length, or as in another post *lack of Vitamin D*, contributing to slower growth. Let us SPEAK good things instead of..."well it is what it is, you are black and no forget about all of our hair growing to longer lengths". There are too many variables involved to state such.

I also do take note that in a lot of commercials they feature the what is considered the funki-fied-fro. Which in my opinion is basically the unkempt hair that is not combed and then a head band is put on to the create an unkempt broccoli appearance. I mean no wonder people are afraid to go natural or that our hair is unruly. Some may find the style fine. But to each his own.

As black women, sometimes we may suffer from low-self esteem AND NOT KNOW IT!!! We do so many things that come from our subconscious that we are unaware of our own reasonings for doing something.

This is when we have to be honest with ourselves and ask...why am I doing this? Why am I doing that? And do I keep giving others power to control my subconscious when *****I***** have the power to influence other individuals(positively) with what I do or say...and yes...how I look.

AA

So a person who doesn't think taking care of hair is important has to have mental issues now?? It can't just be something that isn't important to them? Oh lawd... I need a break from this board :look:
:fistshake:

25-OG-Come-On-Son.gif

Cut it out, you know what she means.
Clearly, not all women want to have long or healthy hair or even want to wear their own hair, and that's fine.
But when people would like to wear their own hair, but it looks so bad that they have to wear wigs and weaves, it can take a toll on their self-esteem. Especially when others are always making comments about their use of wigs, why their hair won't grow, why it looks like that, what happened to it, etc.
And poor self-esteem is a mental health issue, and I feel like it's especially prevalent among black women, partially because of the whole hair thing.

I don't understand why everyone wants to act brand new today. :ohwell:

25-OG-Come-On-Son.gif

Clearly, not all women want to have long or healthy hair or even want to wear their own hair, and that's fine.
But when people would like to wear their own hair, but it looks so bad that they have to wear wigs and weaves, it can take a toll on their self-esteem. Especially when others are always making comments about their use of wigs, why their hair won't grow, why it looks like that, what happened to it, etc.
And poor self-esteem is a mental health issue, and I feel like it's especially prevalent among black women, partially because of the whole hair thing.

Me either. I was asking this question because I am doing a research project on it and was interested in others prospective. No need for gifs on the first page or unless comments. If you do not have anything to contribute you could just skip over the post and simply not answer. Seems no one has a problem doing that when a newbie or anyone without BSL and longer lengths has pics to share or a hair problem why can't they simply do it in this thread. I wanted an interesting and intellectual discussion. I do thank the ones who have given me just that thus far.

You cut it out & keep the back handed insults. It's not cute. Most people who wear weaves do so because they want to. Plain & simple. People on this board love to make blanket statements when they are only referring to a very small minority.

Hair is dead & it's not that serious to everyone. It's just hair.

ETA: And to the OP, newsflash, people who have opinions that you don't agree with are allowed to post in your thread too... Sorry :ohwell:

Um...in other news...Osama bin Laden is dead! Go USA!

Okay, I'm soooo OT, but that crap on NPR sounded suspect to me. They took DNA samples and threw his body in the sea? I don't believe you, government!:lol:

Okay, sorry. Back you your regularly scheduled program....:look: :lachen:

Really? I think relaxed hair is cheaper if you are a DIYer (ETA: oh, and this may have more to do with the fact that I relax every 5-6 months). Most natural products cost a good amount more and I spent WAAAAAYYYYY more time styling my transitioning hair than I do my relaxed. Plus I don't like puffs (on ME). I like braided, intricate natural styles, which take much more time.

All in all, I think it's a personal preference for some. I'm not neglecting my body, health and all that. I don't have a desire to cover up my own hair because of some deep issues. That's a blanket statement and, frankly, that's taking it way too deep for me. I'm sure others feel this way too. We relaxed heads shouldn't be accused of self hatred or lack of caring for our bodies because of a hair style choice.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm soooo OT, but that crap on NPR sounded suspect to me. They took DNA samples and threw his body in the sea? I don't believe you, government!:lol:

Okay, sorry. Back you your regularly scheduled program....:look: :lachen:

lol yeah they threw his body in the sea so martyrs and other al queda folks couldn't make his burial site holy or something like that...

lol yeah they threw his body in the sea so martyrs and other al queda folks couldn't make his burial site holy or something like that...

I wish I knew how to make gifs, but I still think it sounds a little strange. Maybe my DH has me watching too many government action movies and documentaries or something. :spinning:

I think a lot of people are stressing themselves out to the point of delusion. If your family genes demonstrate that NOBODY has ever had long strands past a certain point, it's not just daily maintenance, it's your genetics. Mythical fairytale length might not be in the cards for you. However, you can attain longer length, it just might not be Hindu princess length. It'll be as long as it can be for your own specific genetics and health.

Texture does matter in the ease of maintaining length because those of 1,2- and 3ish hair are often those with the longest strands. Whites also have trouble growing hair but not as difficultly as "Africans" or other races of 4ish hair do. We all know (or should know) that there are Blacks in Africa of the 1-3 hairtypes and they are mostly found among certain tribes. That would also constitute "racial" characteristics. We all know there are 4'ish long hair of mythical fairy tale length but that again points to...your genetics.

True racial/ethnic composition attributes to a lot of being Black in the Americas with 1,2 and 3 hair, although there are some biracials and 3/4's with 4c texture. It all depends upon what mother nature gave you. So, people who are healthy can grow hair with proper maintenance practices. It just might not be Rapunzel, depending upon your 1)genetics and 2)texture.

why is someone always working on a research topic on lhcfffffffffffffffffff.....lmaoooo..wtf

lololol how do you use lhcf as your sample via a thread i cant...lmaoooo

yoooo

Me either. I was asking this question because I am doing a research project on it and was interested in others prospective. No need for gifs on the first page or unless comments. If you do not have anything to contribute you could just skip over the post and simply not answer. Seems no one has a problem doing that when a newbie or anyone without BSL and longer lengths has pics to share or a hair problem why can't they simply do it in this thread. I wanted an interesting and intellectual discussion. I do thank the ones who have given me just that thus far.

lol, I understand that, but to be honest, I was kind of including you in the group of folks acting brand new. I just feel like this is a topic that has been discussed to death, and not just on LHCF either. I've seen it on other hair forums, blogs, youtube, real life...it's like the conversation that never ends.

You cut it out & keep the back handed insults. It's not cute. Most people who wear weaves do so because they want to. Plain & simple. People on this board love to make blanket statements when they are only referring to a very small minority.

Hair is dead & it's not that serious to everyone. It's just hair.

ETA: And to the OP, newsflash, people who have opinions that you don't agree with are allowed to post in your thread too... Sorry :ohwell:

I didn't make any back-handed insults, whatever that is. I said that you should stop acting above it all, because you understood the point that was being made. I wrote everything out, clear as day. There was nothing backhanded or sly about it.

As far as the weaves are concerned, you have your experiences and I have mine. We don't have to agree.*shrug*

Back