Why did hair growth become important 2 u?

sexyeyes3616

For me I always felt long hair looks more attractive and appealing to men so I would draw more attention with longer hair and be more confident with myself? How about you?

I finally started losing weight, I finally fixed my teeth, I finally cleared up my skin. It was the last thing I could fix. I never even considered what anybody else would think about it.

sareca said:
I finally started losing weight, I finally fixed my teeth, I finally cleared up my skin. It was the last thing I could fix. I never even considered what anybody else would think about it.

You sound like me with the fixing the teeth, skin, and everything else. I needed something else to work on!! :lol:

Hair growth has never been important to me. I actually came to the boards because my hair's health was declining after a move to a dry climate. We all know that healthy hair grows and flourishes and that results in growth, but my first concern was always health. Length, for me, is a nice bonus. :)

I wanted to wear my hair in any style I wanted without having to buy it
I look better with longer hair because it frames my face

Hair growth was important when I first found LHCF and saw everyone else's hair. Now I've shifted my focus towards the overall health of my hair.

I came here after considering relaxing again. I knew there were lots of healthy heads of relaxed hair with great tips. PLus I was fed up with my hair being stuck at the same length. If my hair was supposed to be healthy, I knew it wouldnt be stuck at the same length, so I figured I neded to get it healthy. Length is just a consequence of health.

Divine Inspiration said:
Hair growth has never been important to me. I actually came to the boards because my hair's health was declining after a move to a dry climate. We all know that healthy hair grows and flourishes and that results in growth, but my first concern was always health. Length, for me, is a nice bonus. :)

Ditto! Couldn't find a stylist and well.. a friend told me about here. I wanted a change, but nothing too drastic. This site helps me to share the wealth or info with others and to learn more about black women's hair.... its just that simple.:look: dang...smdh::nono:

Last edited:
I got tired of having my hair hacked off and staying the same length by going to the salon:wallbash:

It still took me 2 years to give the stylist up completely and this last year my hair has really flourished:thumbsup:

It's never been that important. My focus has been on hair health: thinning and shedding. I was a victim of a rat tail comb on a wet wrap from the shampoo girl/assistant and lost a lot of hair. I've been nursing my hair hair back to health ever since.

I used to have longer, healthier hair. I stopped taking care of it and it became a hot mess. I wanted to get my hair back on the right track.

Hair "growth" was never my initial focus. My hair was severely damaged from YEARS of improper care (using the curling iron 2x per day:eek:, waiting too long to shampoo, never conditioning:naughty:, blowdrying, etc). I'm slowly but surely nursing my hair back to health. The growth associated with having healthy hair is a much welcomed side effect! :grin:

I love healthy, long hair and the more the better. It is usually a sign of health that adds to a woman's attractiveness.

Bellavita6 said:
For me, i wanted to go into my 30's with flowing, sexy hair, looking finer than ever!:grin: .

Amen and praise the Lord. I wanted not only to have a healthy body, I wanted to have healthy hair. When you reach your 30's, sometimes things become more challenging like maintaining your weight and keeping your teeth clean and white. Why should hair be any different? I just want every aspect of my temple to be healthy and well taken care of. ;)

For me it was because my hair seemed to stay the same length for about 10 years. I wanted to know if it would ever grow past 'that' point.

Mainly because I made a wager with my friend in December that by the time she came to stay with me again next christmas, my hair would be at bra strap. Hopefully I'll make it :confused:

Oh I definitely don't want long hair to attract a guy! :lachen:For me, it was always something I wanted for myself. I like to change my looks and I would one day like to see myself with my own long hair just to know that it's possible. I already know that I can change other physical things like my weight with a bit of determination but never got the knack of how to change the length of my hair. Hopefully through the knowledge of these forums I can achieve the long hair I've always desired.

I hated the way my hair looked, so I started researching and my husband loves the work I put in so everyones happy lol

I really wanted healthy hair as well. I've never really had long hair before, so this has been an exciting journey for me. Right now my hair is a little past shoulder length, and it's actually the longest I ever remember my hair being. :)

I'm just concentrating on learning healthy hair practices, and watching it grow as I learn is even better. :)

Well, when you experiment with going natural, how fast that natural hair grows out of your scalp is going to be a concern. It became "important" when I realized that this hair was growing extremely fast yet I never had any hair on my head to show for it.

Also jealousy (but not the hateful kind, the kind of jealousy which causes you to be inspired) of other women with nice hair, including people on this hair board. I had accepted a long time ago that I didn't have a certain hair type, but my natural journey had told me that although my hair was a certain texture it could still be long with the proper care, it was just a matter of figuring out what all proper care entailed.

When I was younger my hair was always long and very healthy; and after several missteps in college my hair just seemed to stagnate. I was frustrated and finally wised up to get my hair healthy and long. Here I am!

It has always been important to me...From when i was a kid, i was envious of the girls with the longest hair in class, and once i started working i bought every long weave in the market that looked natural. I was never seen with my natural hair which was extremely jacked up:perplexed
I love the look of long hair. Its sexier than short hair on me and emphasizes my features more.
Once i stumbled unto LHCF and grow afro hair long (and i realised that contrary to my beliefs, i didnt have to buy a weave to have long hair), i instantly joined up and took out my weave for the last time. I was never really a lurker on here, it was about 15mins before first seeing the website and paying for my subscription fee!

I've never had to think too much about growing hair until my hairdresser destroyed it, I think on purpose. It was always a good length and healthy. I was always looking for healthy haircare products. Now that I have had to start over w/ short hair I am really more preoccupied w/ growing it out because I've never had short hair before.

tnorenberg said:
I've never had to think too much about growing hair until my hairdresser destroyed it, I think on purpose. It was always a good length and healthy. I was always looking for healthy haircare products. Now that I have had to start over w/ short hair I am really more preoccupied w/ growing it out because I've never had short hair before.

That was me ! I came to hairboards looking for a way to get my extremely damaged chin length / neck length hair back to healthy status and grow it to blunt cut collar bone length all the way around, but then I saw all the lovely heads on LHCF and decided well, I will just grow and grow and grow until I reach blunt cut mid-back length or get tired of trying!!

Henrietta said:
It has always been important to me...From when i was a kid, i was envious of the girls with the longest hair in class, and once i started working i bought every long weave in the market that looked natural. I was never seen with my natural hair which was extremely jacked up:perplexed
I love the look of long hair. Its sexier than short hair on me and emphasizes my features more.
Once i stumbled unto LHCF and grow afro hair long (and i realised that contrary to my beliefs, i didnt have to buy a weave to have long hair), i instantly joined up and took out my weave for the last time. I was never really a lurker on here, it was about 15mins before first seeing the website and paying for my subscription fee!

My experience exactly.

For me it was that I'd always had hair that stopped up to the middle of my ears, that was dry broken and see-through. I would be envious(not in a hating way) of other girls with long hair and wonder why I wasn't born with 'good hair'. I had fully come to accept the fact that my hair would always be short and I always had on some type of false hair. Then I came to the forum and was a little skeptical at first, but after implimenting some of the techniques I was able to grow my hair a little past shoulder length.:grin:
Well thats my story....

Back