Are we obsessed with length?

Tai

I've seen this topic discussed at length other places recently and it got me to wondering how we feel about this. After all, this is the long hair care forum and most of us are here to learn how to grow long and healthy hair, regardless if our hair is natural, relaxed, texturized, or in transition. Is our collective quest for longer hair becoming more than a hobby or a desire? Could wanting longer hair become an obsession?

Do our vitamin regimens, hair measuring, workout regimens, hair challenges, protein regimens, etc. mean that we're "obsessed" with growing our hair long? Is there something wrong with our wanting longer than average hair? Are vitamin regimens that contain more than say five vitamins/supplements dangerous to our health? Are we chasing some dream instead of being content with what we have?

Where do we draw the line between working towards gaining and retaining length and being obsessed with obtaining this goal?

I look at it like this, I want to be a doctor so I study. I buy whatever books I need regardless of price, sacrifice fun and sleep to get where I want to be. I see hair length the same way. There is nothing wrong with working hard to achieve what you want. We live in a quick fix society so some may find it easy to judge those who are willing to take time and dedication to growing their hair (or to anything for that matter) because this mindset is simply not valued. I think if your hair quest is causing you to sacrifice other important things in your life then you have crossed the line. But I seriously doubt anyone here is starving due to product purchases.

Like people tell me I am obsessed cause I am currently using weaves/braids as a protective style and I change it monthly in order to properly take care of my hair. Now considering that my weaves only cost $60, to me the health of my hair is more important than wearing a $60 weave for 3 months. As long as I have the money and hair/scalp is healthy and thriving then what is the problem?

Whew, I havent been this long winded in a while. Sorry guys.

cutebajangirl said:
I look at it like this, I want to be a doctor so I study. I buy whatever books I need regardless of price, sacrifice fun and sleep to get where I want to be. I see hair length the same way. There is nothing wrong with working hard to achieve what you want. We live in a quick fix society so some may find it easy to judge those who are willing to take time and dedication to growing their hair (or to anything for that matter) because this mindset is simply not valued. I think if your hair quest is causing you to sacrifice other important things in your life then you have crossed the line. But I seriously doubt anyone here is starving due to product purchases.

Like people tell me I am obsessed cause I am currently using weaves/braids as a protective style and I change it monthly in order to properly take care of my hair. Now considering that my weaves only cost $60, to me the health of my hair is more important than wearing a $60 weave for 3 months. As long as I have the money and hair/scalp is healthy and thriving then what is the problem?

Whew, I havent been this long winded in a while. Sorry guys.

Preach on sister!

Perhaps because information was not available on how to successfully grow our hair long and that many blacks were told it was not possible, the desire is very strong for many black females today to accomplish this goal. For some, it could be an obsession.

IMO, what we are collectively and individually doing is changing the whole mindset of what is possible with our hair. It's changing history. I believe everything was once a dream and one day it will be the norm for blacks to grow their hair to any length desired.

As for me, my goal has always been to have healthy, beautiful hair, no matter what the length.

I agree with the above posters. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting longer hair. Nothing.

Why be content with what you have when it's not what you want? Why should I be content or resigned (I think that's the better word here) with short hair when what I want is long hair? That's like telling the single woman to be content being single for the rest of her days when what she really wants is to be married!
I'm not content and will not be content until I reach my goal and I'll do what's reasonable to attain my goal.

Do I think that we are obsessed? I don't know! I can only speak for me. I can truly say that I'm not obsessed because:

1) I know that they're are more important things in life than my hair and how long it gets
2) I'm not willing to do, take or buy anything and everything for the specific purpose of getting my hair to grow.
3) I'm not 'plotting' every minute of every day on ways to make my hair grow longer.

To me if you are acting the opposite of the above, then you're obessesed. :)

It's funny how people tell me how obsessed I am about my hair. And it's so funny how these same people spend more money on haircare products than I do.

I wanted health, foremost. After I got that, the length came automatically.

Plus I have a big head and look better with long hair.

I don't look at it as being obsessed....I look at it as reaping the rewards of hard work. The one thing that I have learned from this site is that the "secret" to long hair is time and care. If you take time and care for your hair, in time it will be healthy and the result of healhy hair is length. If it wasn't for the age of technology, I would have never learned the "secret". So...No.......I don't think it's an obsession I think that it's more like learning something new and putting it to use. :)

I think beauty quests are the norm for most women today. Look at all the cosmetic companies popping out the newest/advanced in technology/latest breakthrough/make skin look 10 years younger type product. I swear there is a new one each week! :lol:
While a lot of us black women may be focused on hair care, a lot of women in general are focused, if not obsessed, with obtaining youthful skin and will pay boatloads of money for it via expensive cream, treatments, peels, collogan, botox, you name it! Plenty of care and prevention will be put into protecting the skin from the sun(like we may protect our hair from heat), using SPF everyday, moisturizing creams during the day restorative creams at night, and any other kinds of regimines are put to use.
So if beautiful, flawless, youthful glowing skin is an ultimate goal why not long, healthy hair?

Now I have my own skincare regimen as well, but its more of drag(even though it takes considerably less time than my hair routines), whereas I always enjoy doing my hair regimens :grin: !
I also don't mind my vitamins because they provide nutrients to many other parts of my body so its a win-win situation!

I have to say that my quest has made me more content w/what I have. Previous to this journey I never thought my hair was enough. It was healthy and is very dense so stylists always complained and ppl complimented it. But for me it was never long enough or never even enough and I didn't have enough good information to correct those things. Now I have more confidence in the look, feel and health of my hair, so if it never grew another inch I'd be okay w/that. I enjoy taking care of my hair and I don't *think* I'm any more obsessive over it than I am the shape and grooming of my eyebrows :look: .

anky said:
It's funny how people tell me how obsessed I am about my hair. And it's so funny how these same people spend more money on haircare products than I do.

I wanted health, foremost. After I got that, the length came automatically.

Plus I have a big head and look better with long hair.

[size=+1]You took the words right out of my mouth Anky. Family members think I'm obsessed...but still..they're asking me all kind of questions and wanting to see my hair.

My goal was always healthy hair....the length just happen to follow. And I'm "Not" complaining. :)

Plus I need all the hair I can get....I have a big head as well.[/size]

I think *across the board* we manipulate our hair LESS than other black women (less heat, less combing and brushing, more protective styles, less frequent chemicals).

But we spend absurd amounts of time and effort scheming about products and vitamins and routines in order to get length.

I'd call it an obsession.

i'm obsessed with all things hair and hair related, not necessarily length... but there are definitely some length-obsessed folks on this board. ;) not to put anyone on blast, but if you wear a particular bra just to prove that your hair is bra-strap length, then you're probably obsessed. LOL if you've put your hair growth on a timetable and monitor it daily, then you're probably obsessed. LOL

Last edited:
Yes, I am obsessed. I can't speak for anyone else but me. My obsession has led me to eat better, exercise more, stop drinking alcoholic beverages completely, increase my water intake, grow spiritually, and sleep better at night. My obsession has changed the way I look at things; at life. It is weird, I know, but I'm glad it was just my obsession for hair growth that made me see my life differently and not something else more drastic like a heart attack from sedentary lifestyle.

I'm not obsessed with length. It doesn't consume my day or dictate what I will or will not do. I'm concerned with the health of my hair, especially now that I'm dealing with two textures. While I do want it to grow longer, I don't try everything that's suggested. The changes that I've made have been good for the health of my hair but I don't think it's made it grow any faster. And that doesn't bother me.

Do I think other people are obsessed? Not really. Some might be more concerned that I am but I don't see anything wrong with that. I've never looked at someone's regimen and thought she's crazy to do all that for her hair. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with working hard at improving the health or length of your hair as long as it's not hurting you. I don't think anyone's taking food from their family to spend it on hair products, vitamins, or trips to the salon. I've never read that someone's about to be evicted but spent $200 on braids to keep up with the braid challenge. I don't think it's wrong or obsessed to do what you can to get what you want. There's nothing wrong with being determined or focused on achieving a goal, IMO. Even if that goal is getting longer hair.

swirl said:
i'm obsessed with all things hair and hair related, not necessarily length... but there are definitely some length-obsessed folks on this board. ;) not to put anyone on blast, but if you wear a particular bra just to prove that your hair is bra-strap length, then you're probably obsessed. LOL if you've put your hair growth on a timetable and monitor it daily, then you're probably obsessed. LOL

Does anyone else feel that way? I thought of it as just a way to get a consistent measurement. Now I do feel that straps are 'fudged' or on the high side, but it doesn't effect me. I mean if you wanna call armpit length hair brastrap after you've hiked it up under your pits, please feel free to live in your own delusion. :look:

I am obsessed with my hair. Why shouldnt I be. I have never took care of my hair like I do now. At this early point I am like a kid in a candy shop BUYING!! and trying all sorts of products, styles, vitamins, I might as well leave my computer on cause I am always on the site!!
But the main thing is I AM ENJOYING IT. I see this as a hobbie. I have always wanted long hair but like other 4a girls didnt think this was possible.
Now I know it is possible, its nothing more than trying to shift a few pounds.
Or trying to achieve anything else in life (EFFORT+TIME/PATIENCE=GOAL)

Kizzy :)

cutebajangirl said:

Yep! what CBG said!:)

sengschick said:
Does anyone else feel that way? I thought of it as just a way to get a consistent measurement. Now I do feel that straps are 'fudged' or on the high side, but it doesn't effect me. I mean if you wanna call armpit length hair brastrap after you've hiked it up under your pits, please feel free to live in your own delusion. :look:

:lol: :lol:

I don't think that most of us are obsessed, but we are interested enough in our hair (part of our overall appearance) that we dedicate time an effort to it. Also, many people are more interested with hair health with length being a bonus. I want my hair to grow to a certain length because I think that I look better with longer hair. Having more fragile hair means that it takes time and effort to accomplish this goal. To me, taking care of my hair and learning about it is apart of taking care of myself and my appearance.

I'm obsessed with hair more than length. By obsessed I mean that I spend a decent amount of time thinking about it. But really, I'm that way about everything. Before getting on accutane, I was obsessed with skin, hair has just come in to replace that void I guess. But I think my level of obsession is good because I'm seeking out knowledge constantly now with the hopes that it will eventually pay off.

sengschick said:

I wasn't going to say anything.....buuuutttt, everyone's bra doesn't fit at the same point on the back. It realy does depend on the individual makeup and how high or low the um, 'girls' are. My girls sit up high, so my bra has to be high. If my bra was at mid-back, it be close to my waist because I'm short. And the girls would have zero support because they would'nt even be in the cups!!! So, when you see a high bra, keep that in mind, and know that it's not 'fudging' all the time.;)

Disclaimer: I have short hair that's nowhere near my bra!!!! :lol:

Tai said:
I've seen this topic discussed at length other places recently and it got me to wondering how we feel about this. After all, this is the long hair care forum and most of us are here to learn how to grow long and healthy hair, regardless if our hair is natural, relaxed, texturized, or in transition. Is our collective quest for longer hair becoming more than a hobby or a desire? Could wanting longer hair become an obsession?

Do our vitamin regimens, hair measuring, workout regimens, hair challenges, protein regimens, etc. mean that we're "obsessed" with growing our hair long? Is there something wrong with our wanting longer than average hair? Are vitamin regimens that contain more than say five vitamins/supplements dangerous to our health? Are we chasing some dream instead of being content with what we have?

Where do we draw the line between working towards gaining and retaining length and being obsessed with obtaining this goal?

People with obsessive personalities will take ANYTHING to an extreme. For the majority here I dont think this is an issue, although since the purpose of this board is distributing information to black women on how to properly care for their hair we may notice a couple more here and there, but thats simply because this is where the focus is.

As far as vitamins go, studies have been done to show that foods...fruits and vegtables etc..do not have the same nutrient content they did years ago. Its almost manditory to have some kind of vitamin supplement to meet BASIC needs, let alone specific targets such as hairgrowth and support for dieting etc where certain food groups may be restricted.

I dont think most folx here take things to an extreme. Theres nothing wrong with wanting to be at your best. If walking around with damaged ends, uneven, unhealthy, dry and broken hair means being content, I wish more black women would be discontent. After joining this board whenever there are gatherings I see large numbers of black women together I am more conscious of their hairstyles and health than I used to be. It saddens me that our young black women are not showing their true glory and potential, not because they cant, but because they dont know the simple things...moisturizing and protecting their hair and only know weaves and relaxers. Its not about chasing a dream, that implies these goals cant be met, and many here with brastrap and longer of all hair types prove they CAN be met. Its about bringing out the full potential of our hair, learning how to care for it and what works for each individual. The challenges just keep the goal in front of us and keep us focused. As long as we arent skipping meals to get the next new hair product or not paying bills because we need a new fifty dollar condidtioner or saying no to friends and relationships because we have to spend time with our hair then its all good. :)

...good topic btw....

Last edited:
Tai said:
I'm not obsessed with length. It doesn't consume my day or dictate what I will or will not do. I'm concerned with the health of my hair, especially now that I'm dealing with two textures. While I do want it to grow longer, I don't try everything that's suggested. The changes that I've made have been good for the health of my hair but I don't think it's made it grow any faster. And that doesn't bother me.

Do I think other people are obsessed? Not really. Some might be more concerned that I am but I don't see anything wrong with that. I've never looked at someone's regimen and thought she's crazy to do all that for her hair. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with working hard at improving the health or length of your hair as long as it's not hurting you. I don't think anyone's taking food from their family to spend it on hair products, vitamins, or trips to the salon. I've never read that someone's about to be evicted but spent $200 on braids to keep up with the braid challenge. I don't think it's wrong or obsessed to do what you can to get what you want. There's nothing wrong with being determined or focused on achieving a goal, IMO. Even if that goal is getting longer hair.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

TigerLily said:
I wasn't going to say anything.....buuuutttt, everyone's bra doesn't fit at the same point on the back. It realy does depend on the individual makeup and how high or low the um, 'girls' are. My girls sit up high, so my bra has to be high. If my bra was at mid-back, it be close to my waist because I'm short. And the girls would have zero support because they would'nt even be in the cups!!! So, when you see a high bra, keep that in mind, and know that it's not 'fudging' all the time.;)

Disclaimer: I have short hair that's nowhere near my bra!!!! :lol:

ITA! I think bra stap is going to differ from person to person...based on their bra size,cup size, their height...etc. Its not going to look the same on everyone....especially if you are short!!! So I wouldn't call anyone delusional for measuring in respect to their own body proportions......

I agree that the bra strap level is going to vary from person to person. I have a rather large chest so my bra strap is in the middle of my back. So bra strap and midback are the same length on me.

Umm, thinking about this one :scratchchin:

I'll have to say "no", I'm not "obsessed" with length... if I were, I would never have cut all of my nearly waist length healthy, relaxed hair off to go natural... not to even mention the "shrinkage factor".

HOWEVER, I will say that I was obsessed with going natural :) ) ... my hair simply could not grow fast enough for me. I literally DREAMED of the day when I could chop the perm!!! Now that I'm natural, I think about all of the length that I once had... (( sniff, sniff... I even miss it sometimes )), but I'm sure I'll gain it back without having to obsess over it.
:cool:

I'm more concerned about becoming natural than I am about overall length. The faster my hair will grow, the sooner I can chop. :clap:

I keep looking at all the naturals who have hair the length I want mine to be before I chop (about shoulder length). It takes all the restraint in the world not to pester them about what their regimens were and what products they used before they chopped. But I hold off because I don't want to bug or pester any of my natural inspirations. But I'm dying to know... :look:

...alright...alright...I am obsessive compulsive about taking care of and growing out my hair!..and....and...(i love it!)....I am so passionate about it......can't get enough of it!....there...I have taken the heat for everybody....now don't we all feel better....lololololol Just being silly, but hey, I was also being honest about my personal love affair with my own dang hair. Bonjour

Back