What's Your Definition of Natural?

I don't think anyone that does those these considers themselves natural. If they do it may be because they don't know the facts.

I also agree with your definition of natural. I do feel that someone is still technically natural (in the way of the relaxed/natural difference) if she colors her hair. It is not natural in the real since, but her hair is still not relaxed and her cuticles are intact.

You'd be surprised. I have a friend who believes that because her perm has reverted she is now a natural.:rolleyes: So that's what she goes around telling people.

I think as long as you don't have anything on your hair that alters your texture permanently, you are still natural.:yep:

I would say that being natural is not using anything that would alter the natural state of your hair, meaning the TEXTURE OR COLOR. If your hair is colored, it is not natural IMO. HTH

ETA:: BTW, I am relaxed, so I am in no way natural. =)

IMO a person who is natural does not have any texture altering product in their hair. For example, someone who is relaxed, texlaxed, texturized and colored. I have seen people who are texlaxed and texturized calling themselves natural.

IMO using comercial hair products does not exclude someone from being natural. My natural hair is VERY frizzy. Left to dry with no product my hair looks like a mix of 2b,3b,3c. There are parts of my head that will not curl (or appear to be curly )unless it is moisturized. I don't think that because I use leave in my hair is no longer natural.

IMO a person who is natural does not have any texture altering product in their hair. For example, someone who is relaxed, texlaxed, texturized and colored. I have seen people who are texlaxed and texturized calling themselves natural.

IMO using comercial hair products does not exclude someone from being natural. My natural hair is VERY frizzy. Left to dry with no product my hair looks like a mix of 2b,3b,3c. There are parts of my head that will not curl (or appear to be curly )unless it is moisturized. I don't think that because I use leave in my hair is no longer natural.

I love your hair! It's absolutely beautiful...such great inspiration!

I guess I learned sumthing new today...
I didn't realize that coloring your hair alters it's texture.
The last time I colored my hair I was relaxed so I didn't notice any difference, nor was I looking for it :perplexed
So then that narrows the group of naturals in the world :lachen:

Amen to what the OP, NaturalgalAZ and JCoily said. Curl definition, pressed hair are all still natural to me. Curl definition using product to me is no different from wearing twist-outs and braid-outs. You aren't breaking any bonds in the chemical structure of the hair. Once you wash it, it returns to its normal state. That's what natural hair is.

Yep, what she said.

Why? Everyone's hair is not the same. The texture of my hair does change when it has color in it. Why assume that it is a smug and elitist attitude? *smh* Not to mention, I tell people that jet black isn't my natural hair color, just as I say that texture of my hair is not naturally how most of it is it is now. Maybe I'm different...

i don't see colour as the same as relaxing or texlaxing. colour changing your texture is hit and miss; it can change for some and for others it does not. when you relax, your intent is to chemically alter your texture. i don't think people who colour do so in order to get a looser curl pattern but to colour their hair only. if i were to consider those who coloured to not be natural then i'd have to believe those who use clay, coconut & lime, henna etc as not natural either since for some their curls loosens when used over time.

with that said, what i said was a generalisation; not everyone who believes hair colouring means you're no longer natural is elitist. however, it so happens that in my personal experience many of the people who claim this are just what i described. i just think some people want to have these strict definitions in order to feel superior. however, like j.colily said, people can call themselves what they want. if a person i consider to have natural hair doesn't think she is because she added colour and it changed her texture a little then so be it; i'm not about to argue with her. it's just not that deep to me.

I think natural hair is hair that's texture has not been PERMANENTLY changed, relaxers etc. but color is allowed.
I think a natural HAIRSTYLE is hair without extensions, weave, braided/cornrowed extensions, fusion etc. Any style with only your hair, no hair added is a natural to me.

Damn...:wallbash:
If you use chemicals to alter the texture of your hair in any way, you are not natural I don't care how "natural" a person think it looks, it ain't natural. :rolleyes: No texlax, texturizers, jerri curls, relaxers left on for 30 seconds or whatever :lachen:
By her definition, there aren't too many naturals out there because most of us use at least one commercially made product on our hair.
So, in my opinion, your definition is right and hopefully, someone else will cosign on it.
If not :popcorn:

No chemicals altering the texture of your hair is natural hair to me. Color is a little different than I call you napputural.

Can you honestly say that most people on this hairboard, or in general, dont go looking for shampoos/conditioners/moisturizers to bring out curl definition? To tame frizz? Etc...

I don't. I need products to achieve curl definition. When it's wet it curls up like an mini spiral.

For me natural hair is hair that has not been straightened by chemicals or heat. I wore my hair in a press and curl for many years and I just didn't consider myself "natural" until I wore my hair in its true texture. I know I am in the minority on this, but it's always been the way I felt. Same thing for fake hair. If I'm straightening my hair or wearing extensions, I'm taking a break from natural styles and it's just that, unlike with chemical relaxers, I can get back to my natural hair more easily. It just seems like an oxymoron, "fake natural hair" and straight hair on a black woman as natural? Oddly enough, though, I will still call dyed hair natural. Not a natural color, but you keep the real (i.e. "natural") texture. If my hair is naturally nappy, and you are unable to tell that it's nappy, it's not natural to me.

i don't see colour as the same as relaxing or texlaxing. colour changing your texture is hit and miss; it can change for some and for others it does not. when you relax, your intent is to chemically alter your texture. i don't think people who colour do so in order to get a looser curl pattern but to colour their hair only. if i were to consider those who coloured to not be natural then i'd have to believe those who use clay, coconut & lime, henna etc as not natural either since for some their curls loosens when used over time.

with that said, what i said was a generalisation; not everyone who believes hair colouring means you're no longer natural is elitist. however, it so happens that in my personal experience many of the people who claim this are just what i described. i just think some people want to have these strict definitions in order to feel superior. however, like j.colily said, people can call themselves what they want. if a person i consider to have natural hair doesn't think she is because she added colour and it changed her texture a little then so be it; i'm not about to argue with her. it's just not that deep to me.

I see your point. I was just considering the chemical alteration alone, not intent. Actually, when it comes to others, I consider them natural if they consider themselves natural. But for my own hair, it won't be natural to me unless both types of chemicals are gone. I felt and could see that difference in my hair texture, and it was just a rinse. Even my mother noticed. Maybe I'm still a little disappointed about it. It looked pretty though...

I think natural hair is hair that's texture has not been PERMANENTLY changed, relaxers etc. but color is allowed.
I think a natural HAIRSTYLE is hair without extensions, weave, braided/cornrowed extensions, fusion etc. Any style with only your hair, no hair added is a natural to me.
But isn't color permanent? It has to grow and be cut out of your hair eventually. I may be wrong, but that's what I thought.

For me natural hair is hair that has not been straightened by chemicals or heat. I wore my hair in a press and curl for many years and I just didn't consider myself "natural" until I wore my hair in its true texture. I know I am in the minority on this, but it's always been the way I felt. Same thing for fake hair. If I'm straightening my hair or wearing extensions, I'm taking a break from natural styles and it's just that, unlike with chemical relaxers, I can get back to my natural hair more easily. It just seems like an oxymoron, "fake natural hair" and straight hair on a black woman as natural? Oddly enough, though, I will still call dyed hair natural. Not a natural color, but you keep the real (i.e. "natural") texture. If my hair is naturally nappy, and you are unable to tell that it's nappy, it's not natural to me.

Cool. I definitely agree with you about fake hair/extensions. That's not natural to me at all. Someone with relaxed hair is more natural to me than one with fake hair, because at least the hair on their head is their own.

But isn't color permanent? It has to grow and be cut out of your hair eventually. I may be wrong, but that's what I thought.
All color isn't permanent and permanent color is not used to permanently change the texture of one's hair.

If you're wearing your hair the way it naturally comes out of your scalp then you're natural......simple

If you have not CHEMICALLY altered your hair texture then you are natural. If you constantly straigten your hair with heat you are still natural, if you use conditioner to make your curls pop you are still natural. If you wearing wigs or weaves you still natural......the wig or weave does not alter your hair....your hair is still in it's natural state underneath

I think some people just like to get too technical with certain things.

If you're wearing your hair the way it naturally comes out of your scalp then you're natural......simple

If you have not CHEMICALLY altered your hair texture then you are natural. If you constantly straigten your hair with heat you are still natural, if you use conditioner to make your curls pop you are still natural. If you wearing wigs or weaves you still natural......the wig or weave does not alter your hair....your hair is still in it's natural state underneath

ITA with the bolded.

Preach Val!

I think we should make a difference between texture, maintenance and styling when it comes to hair. Obviously, it is up to anybody to call their hair whatever they want, from the moment they are comfortable with their own definition. The following is only a point of view.

Relaxed women are not natural in texture; relaxers alter the inner structure of the hair. But those women can be natural in maintenance and styling. I’ve seen lots of relaxed women applying their homemade shampoos, conditioners and moisturizers (natural maintenance, no chemicals other than relaxers). They are aware of the fact that relaxers are very strong on the hair shaft; so, having a natural maintenance is a way for them to limit the damage at a decent level.

Some women can be natural in texture and not in maintenance and styling. If your maintenance includes shampoos, conditioners and moisturizers with chemical ingredients, so it is not natural maintenance. If your maintenance helps in defining curls, smoothing texture, growing hair faster… it can not be called natural. Let’s see this way, those weird names we see in the list of ingredients are not there for fun, somewhere chemistry was involved in it.

When it comes to natural styling, I’d think anything that changes the appearance of the natural hair is not natural. Coloring, texlaxing your hair is not natural. I am sorry but I have had more damage from coloring my hair than relaxing it. Coloring hair does change the hair chemically and mostly it is not reversible. I don’t know much about henna, so I can say much about it. On the other hand, when it comes to the so called braid-outs, weaves, wigs, pressed hair, we must admit that those styles are not natural since they change the appearance of the natural texture momentarily. The good thing is they are reversible, at least for the braid-outs, twist-outs, wigs, weaves; but I am sorry, pressing my hair frequently when I was natural, did change its natural texture overtime. I did not pay attention to that until my mother (who knows best my natural hair than her) told me that. My hair texture was becoming straighter than the natural one, and washing it more frequently would not do anything to help.

Talking reversibility, I think that aspect opens to a lot of misconception whether you’re wearing your natural hair for convenience or ideology. If you wear natural hair by convenience, meaning you’re looking for less maintenance, more thickness, good manageability, I can understand that from times to times, you’d try some non natural styling. But if you wear your gorgeous natural hair by ideology (blackness, purity, pride etc…), you better stick to it no matter what. You can braid, twist, cornrow you hair and wear it with pride. But since braid-outs and twist-outs may change the real appearance of the texture, it’s kind of confusing; it’s hard to see the true blackness of the texture behind all those nice waves. We dont want to mimic the bone straight hair of a white women, what about the curly nice waves of a mixed, mediterranean, or latin chick...I know the reversibility is possible, but momentarily the real message is not there anymore. But again, it is up to anybody to define their own way of being AU NATUREL...

All that discussion reminds of a friend of mine (a guy) who was always complaining about women wearing wonderbras. We, women, all want the girls to be all up on the ceiling, but time, breastfeeding, gravity certainly don’t help at all. But still, we like to claim ours natural and would make fun of those celebrities that would go under sugery to get The gorgeous fake ones. Nevertheless, we don’t mind wearing wonderbras to end up with quite similar results MOMENTARILY. Well, my friend would say “those wonderbras should be illegal. By wearing them, these women fill us with false hopes. You meet a great looking conservative chick, you look at her package and your expectations are up on the ceiling; hours later, your disappointment is down to the floor, and you feel like life is so unfair:wallbash:… D!!!! With those bras there’s no way you can guarantee that what you see is what you get ….”:lachen:

Last edited:

What she said. Q

I think we should make a difference between texture, maintenance and styling when it comes to hair. Obviously, it is up to anybody to call their hair whatever they want, from the moment they are comfortable with their own definition. The following is only a point of view.

Relaxed women are not natural in texture; relaxers alter the inner structure of the hair. But those women can be natural in maintenance and styling. I’ve seen lots of relaxed women applying their homemade shampoos, conditioners and moisturizers (natural maintenance, no chemicals other than relaxers). They are aware of the fact that relaxers are very strong on the hair shaft; so, having a natural maintenance is a way for them to limit the damage at a decent level.

Some women can be natural in texture and not in maintenance and styling. If your maintenance includes shampoos, conditioners and moisturizers with chemical ingredients, so it is not natural maintenance. If your maintenance helps in defining curls, smoothing texture, growing hair faster… it can not be called natural. Let’s see this way, those weird names we see in the list of ingredients are not there for fun, somewhere chemistry was involved in it.

When it comes to natural styling, I’d think anything that changes the appearance of the natural hair is not natural. Coloring, texlaxing your hair is not natural. I am sorry but I have had more damage from coloring my hair than relaxing it. Coloring hair does change the hair chemically and mostly it is not reversible. I don’t know much about henna, so I can say much about it. On the other hand, when it comes to the so called braid-outs, weaves, wigs, pressed hair, we must admit that those styles are not natural since they change the appearance of the natural texture momentarily. The good thing is they are reversible, at least for the braid-outs, twist-outs, wigs, weaves; but I am sorry, pressing my hair frequently when I was natural, did change its natural texture overtime. I did not pay attention to that until my mother (who knows best my natural hair than her) told me that. My hair texture was becoming straighter than the natural one, and washing it more frequently would not do anything to help.

Talking reversibility, I think that aspect opens to a lot of misconception whether you’re wearing your natural hair for convenience or ideology. If you wear natural hair by convenience, meaning you’re looking for less maintenance, more thickness, good manageability, I can understand that from times to times, you’d try some non natural styling. But if you wear your gorgeous natural hair by ideology (blackness, purity, pride etc…), you better stick to it no matter what. You can braid, twist, cornrow you hair and wear it with pride. But since braid-outs and twist-outs may change the real appearance of the texture, it’s kind of confusing; it’s hard to see the true blackness of the texture behind all those nice waves. We dont want to mimic the bone straight hair of a white women, what about the curly nice waves of a mixed, mediterranean, or latin chick...I know the reversibility is possible, but momentarily the real message is not there anymore. But again, it is up to anybody to define their own way of being AU NATUREL...

All that discussion reminds of one of a friend of mine (a guy) who was always complaining about women wearing wonderbras. We, women, all want the girls to be all up on the ceiling, but time, breastfeeding, gravity certainly don’t help at all. But still, we like to claim ours natural and would make fun of those celebrities that would go under sugery to get The gorgeous fake ones. Nevertheless, we don’t mind wearing wonderbras to end up with quite similar results MOMENTARILY. Well, my friend would say “those wonderbras should be illegal. By wearing them, these women fill us with false hopes. You meet a great looking conservative chick, you look at her package and your expectations are up on the ceiling; hours later, your disappointment is down to the floor, and you feel like life is so unfair:wallbash:… D!!!! With those bras there’s no way you can guarantee that what you see is what you get ….”:lachen:

Wow...even though I may not agree with everything, you make some good points.

I think natural is they way it comes out of your scalp. However, I also think it means no enhancements, weaves, etc. I dunno, I guess that goes under, 'real' hair.:smirk:

All that discussion reminds of a friend of mine (a guy) who was always complaining about women wearing wonderbras. We, women, all want the girls to be all up on the ceiling, but time, breastfeeding, gravity certainly don’t help at all. But still, we like to claim ours natural and would make fun of those celebrities that would go under sugery to get The gorgeous fake ones. Nevertheless, we don’t mind wearing wonderbras to end up with quite similar results MOMENTARILY. Well, my friend would say “those wonderbras should be illegal. By wearing them, these women fill us with false hopes. You meet a great looking conservative chick, you look at her package and your expectations are up on the ceiling; hours later, your disappointment is down to the floor, and you feel like life is so unfair:wallbash:… D!!!! With those bras there’s no way you can guarantee that what you see is what you get ….”:lachen:
WOW!!!!!! I think many are looking far too deep into a simple thing. Braiding your hair and then unloosing it DOES not mean u are not natural. Using products to get smoother hair or temporarily pressing it out to get a different look is NOT changing the fact that your hair is natural. Adding pieces for a week, makes you un natural? :huh: ITS NOT THAT SERIOUS! What is the real reason for these rigged rules? According to this, nobody would be natural EVER!?!:nono::rolleyes:

Let me get a fork and some water to style my hair!:rolleyes:

as I said before

some people wanna get too technical......that is looking too deep.....practically making rules that not even relevant. No offense to you poster but that is just too restrictive a concept IMHO

I would generally agree with the OP's description of what is "natural" ie no CHEMICAL that changes your hair texture PERMANENTLY.

The rest of it is just over-thinking/ overstating the whole thing:rolleyes:

My hair is very slightly texlaxed AND coloured and though I do not say I am natural, I do rely on natural hair threads and practices to maintain my hair since my hair behaves more like natural than fully relaxed.

Next thing you'll be unnatural for breathing "city air" with all the chemicals in it:yawn:

i absolutely agree with what is highlighted (minus the colored part). i just recently BC'ed and then texlaxed and while my hair also acts and looks more like my natural hair than what my straight relaxed hair acted like, i still do not consider myself natural. (and while it makes for some awkward convos when i try to explain the texlax thing to people who have no clue...i stick to my guns on that :lachen:)

WOW. That is way too deep, even for me.:ohwell:
Well, the number of naturals in the world has decreased again. :wallbash:

Back