Being natural - exploring the definition!

redRiot said:
Well...I think the idea of Natural is too broad and general. Heat can cause permanent texture change in some hair types, so can color. I consider myself as transitioning from a relaxer, but I do have a color...black. The black dye has added an unnatural component to my hair. Then again, in the black community, yes...being free from relaxer makes you natural, regardless of heat, weaves, or color. But in the overall hair community, natural means natural, no perms, relaxers, or color.

I agree with that, including no weave/wigs. I recently put in color and my hair and consider it part of my transition to natural as well. Guess I'll consider someone else natural if they consider themselves such even with color. But for myself, I'm not natural until all the chemical is gone.

To me, natural means not altering your natural texture..whether thats straight as a stick or kinky

i think you can color your hair and be natural...not many people will tell a woman or man wearing an afro or locs that she or he is not natural just because the hair is a different color

Natural for me is when you do not use any chemical treatment to alter you hair such as color, perms, texturizers, relaxers.

I believe you are still natural if you flat iron or press your hair. Why? because you are only stretching out your curl pattern via heat. Heat is not a chemical, even if heat causes you damage it is still not a chemical.

In my opinion, I sometimes do not like the word natural. I rather like to say my hair is not chemically altered.

I questioned myself about the word natural once. I use to tell my SO that I like being natural. He took being natural as using nothing in the hair to alter it, even down to gel. So one day, God bless his soul he says "I am completely natural. I wear my hair natural". Mind you, he is not black so it was the cutest thing ever!!! So since then I just say my hair is not chemically altered.:)

LilMorenita said:
Just a question...
Do you feel that dyed blonde hair is natural? chemically speaking i mean..

Its true that if you dye your hair darker the color is just overlapping the natural hair. However lightening hair to a shade of blonde or lighter brown or red requires the natural color to be STRIPPED OUT of the person's hair. Lighters colors dont lay on top of natural hair. In other words....the more blonde a person wants to be....the more their own color has to be chemically removed.

Well, anytime you dye you hair, whether it's to blonde or to jet black, you used a chemical process to change it. When I added henna to my hair in January, I used natural ingredients, but a chemical reaction, to change my hair color. I will add that my texture was altered a little as a result (the coils loosened a tiny bit). Again though, my definition of natural revolves around intentionally altering the texture of the hair. Although I don't consider color "natural," it doesn't factor into what I mean when I call a woman a "natural," which is only time I'll use the generic term "natural" regarding hair. Otherwise, I'll qualify it--"her natural hair color"--and I'll say that irrespective of her texture (natural, texturized, curly perm, relaxed whatever).

Maybe I misunderstood the original topic, but I'm thinking about my definition of what I mean when I call someone natural--and it's only about intentionally (not) altering their texture.

spiceykitten said:
Natural for me is when you do not use any chemical treatment to alter you hair such as color, perms, texturizers, relaxers.

I believe you are still natural if you flat iron or press your hair. Why? because you are only stretching out your curl pattern via heat. Heat is not a chemical, even if heat causes you damage it is still not a chemical.

In my opinion, I sometimes do not like the word natural. I rather like to say my hair is not chemically altered.

I questioned myself about the word natural once. I use to tell my SO that I like being natural. He took being natural as using nothing in the hair to alter it, even down to gel. So one day, God bless his soul he says "I am completely natural. I wear my hair natural". Mind you, he is not black so it was the cutest thing ever!!! So since then I just say my hair is not chemically altered.:)

LOL! Awwww, that is cute! Your assessment makes sense.

Your hair is still natural if you flat iron/blowdry but guess i just think that sometimes it's nice to see hair in its natural state.

IMO...

Natural hair is hair that has not been altered from it's natural curl (or lack of curl) patten.
4b relaxed to 2c = not natural hair
3c texturised to 3b = not natural hair
2a yukod to 1a = not natural hair
1a curly permed to 3a = not natural hair

Virgin hair is hair that has not been altered from it's natural curl pattern, altered from it's natural colour, or heat damaged.
Bleached hair = not virgin hair
Dyed hair = not virgin hair
Hennaed hair = not virgin hair
Highlighted hair = not virgin hair
Heat damaged hair = not virgin hair

People who use temporary colours and heat styling that does not end up damaging the hair are still natural. As long as their hair goes back to it's original state without the need to transition.

My hair is 1/2 bleached and purple and I'm calling myself a natural... so there! :p

RainbowCurls said:
My hair is 1/2 bleached and purple and I'm calling myself a natural... so there! :p

I think this is the bottom line for people. They are gonna base their definition off of what THEY are doing with their hair, even if it is not the "correct" definition or whatever.

I notice a lot of people who consider colored hair natural have color and vice versa. I guess it is all subjective to what you WANT it to be rather than what it really is. Same as the hair typing thing, but that is another thread....:look:

Are you natural when your hair is straightenedl - whether with chemicals or not - if your hair is not "naturally straight"?
Yes, if with banding or heat, no if done with chemicals.

Are you natural when you have hair with no chemicals but yet you are wearing weave/wig (hair that is not yours)?
Yes

Are you natural if your color your hair?
No, color is a chemical. Henna is still natural, even though it is permanent

Or are you natural if the hair on your head is yours regardless of whether it is relaxed or colored etc?
No. Your hair is REAL, but not natural.

Everyone's definition is going to be different depending on what they are doing to their hair. JMHO, but sometimes somepeople see hair as a competition and whatever the criteria is, they want to be the most of it (i.e. I'm most natural/naptural/virgin haired because etc, etc, etc.) I have no problem with what people do with themselves and their hair as long as they don't try to put me down to prove a point.

B_Phlyy said:
No, color is a chemical. Henna is still natural, even though it is permanent

Sometimes the henna loosens people's hair texture.
If someone hennas her natural hair, and the texture is permanently losened, so much so that when it grows out and she doesn't henna again, she has two different hair textures, is she still natural?

RainbowCurls said:
Sometimes the henna loosens people's hair texture.
If someone hennas her natural hair, and the texture is permanently losened, so much so that when it grows out and she doesn't henna again, she has two different hair textures, is she still natural?

To me, yes. It's hard to explain why, but I would still consider her natural.

Well what about Aveda color? Isn't it supposed to be all natural and made out of plant extracts or something?

See that's why I don't even get into the color thing... :ohwell:

RainbowCurls said:
Virgin hair is hair that has not been altered from it's natural curl pattern, altered from it's natural colour, or heat damaged.
Bleached hair = not virgin hair
Dyed hair = not virgin hair
Hennaed hair = not virgin hair
Highlighted hair = not virgin hair
Heat damaged hair = not virgin hair

My hair is about to lose it's virginity at the Aveda Institute!

I wonder if I will hear a cherry pop! :eek: :grin:

How do you define being natural?

Sometimes I wonder about the whole natural idea, especially in discussions where people are stating what is or is natural. Ex. texturizing, relaxing etc. So here are some questions that I'm throwing out...

Are you natural when your hair is straightenedl - whether with chemicals or not - if your hair is not "naturally straight"?

You can still be considered natural if you temporarily straighten your hair. Permanent straightening or loosening of the curl via chemicals is where the differentiation lies.

Are you natural when you have hair with no chemicals but yet you are wearing weave/wig (hair that is not yours)?

Yes. You hair is still the same texture and color as it is when it grows from the scalp.

Part of me says...not fully. To me, natural implies that one's hair is in the same condition as when it emerges from the scalp, this includes color as well as texture.

There's a saying in the Asian community for half asians/half white called "Happa", I tend to think of colored Naturals as Happturals.

Or are you natural if the hair on your head is yours regardless of whether it is relaxed or colored etc?

No. LOL!

Let's share!

(sorry if this had been done in any way, shape or form before)

My hair is natural because the chemical composition of my hair has not been PERMANENTLY broken down by a chemical relaxer or by PERMANENT hair coloring chemicals. When I press my NATURAL hair I only TEMPORARILY release the natural coily pattern of my hair texture. When I wet my hair it INSTANTLY reverts to its natural coily pattern and texture. I do not have to grow out a press n'curl.;)

LocksOfLuV said:
I think this is the bottom line for people. They are gonna base their definition off of what THEY are doing with their hair, even if it is not the "correct" definition or whatever.

I notice a lot of people who consider colored hair natural have color and vice versa. I guess it is all subjective to what you WANT it to be rather than what it really is. Same as the hair typing thing, but that is another thread....:look:

True! LOL!

pinkskates said:
My hair is natural because the chemical composition of my hair has not been PERMANENTLY broken down by a chemical relaxer or by PERMANENT hair coloring chemicals. When I press my NATURAL hair I only TEMPORARILY release the natural coily pattern of my hair texture. When I wet my hair it INSTANTLY reverts to its natural coily pattern and texture. I do not have to grow out a press n'curl.;)
This is exactly true for me too. I also use the "natural" definition to describe my hair w/out a weave, wig, or extenstions.

Welll.... I guess i have to pass in my natural card:ohwell: :look: *slowly reaching the card over to the natural police* My name is....and I am not natural, I have been putting chemical dye in my hair since I was 14, and have still called myself natural. I mean in my defense*pulling the card back* When people are transitioning they go from relaxed to ...the opposite of relaxed(does not relaxed/texlaxed="natural"?) so I guess I have always thought it only a texture thing, not using anything that doesnt burn, and cause your hair to fall off your head would to me be considered natural. But I guess everybody's got their own definition. Couldn't I just be "natural" w/out my natural hair color? *pulling card back and putting it into my wallet.... Running hooting and hollering I'm natural down the block:grin: :D *
I'm playing, but I guess I never thought about the color thing. Whatever I don't need the card if it means I can't change my hair color at least once every two months. God didn't mean for me to have black hair that's why he made all those hair dyes :sekret:!:grin:

my experience with my natural hair has been a headache.
its thick.
it matts like crazy.
its impossible to put a comb through it without a leave-in or conditioner
it has many different textures, varying from 3b-4a...
ugghhh its just a lot of work.

but at the end of the day, i would NEVER go back to being relaxed...and as i learn to take care of my hair it has become more managable.

it feels great to be natural.

How do you define being natural?

Depends on the context of conversation. IMO, if anything is done to the hair (except water) to change the appearance of texture or color... it is not natural.

Are you natural when your hair is straightenedl - whether with chemicals or not - if your hair is not "naturally straight"? No

Are you natural when you have hair with no chemicals but yet you are wearing weave/wig (hair that is not yours)? Yes, your hair is natural; what you have attached to it/on top of it is not. *Unless it's human, then it maybe natural... just not yours (lol).

Are you natural if your color your hair? Natural texture, not natural colour.

Or are you natural if the hair on your head is yours regardless of whether it is relaxed or colored etc? No

Let's share!

IMO *this is just for me* if someone asks about my texture/colour and I have to 'do' something to it other than water... it's not truely natural. However, in scope of conversations... if folks say they natural (unless we're talking about hair colour) I figure they're saying they dont have a relaxer, texturizer or curl. I think, therefore I am.

bLackButtaFly said:
Welll.... I guess i have to pass in my natural card:ohwell: :look: *slowly reaching the card over to the natural police* My name is....and I am not natural, I have been putting chemical dye in my hair since I was 14, and have still called myself natural. I mean in my defense*pulling the card back* When people are transitioning they go from relaxed to ...the opposite of relaxed(does not relaxed/texlaxed="natural"?) so I guess I have always thought it only a texture thing, not using anything that doesnt burn, and cause your hair to fall off your head would to me be considered natural. But I guess everybody's got their own definition. Couldn't I just be "natural" w/out my natural hair color? *pulling card back and putting it into my wallet.... Running hooting and hollering I'm natural down the block:grin: :D *
I'm playing, but I guess I never thought about the color thing. Whatever I don't need the card if it means I can't change my hair color at least once every two months. God didn't mean for me to have black hair that's why he made all those hair dyes :sekret:!:grin:

i'm sorry this is waaaaaaaaaaaaay OT but this post had me hollerin'!

:lachen::lachen:

Back