What was the worst thing you ever did to your hair?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I know all of us probably had some unhealthy hair ways or some hair horror stories before we found hair boards and started taking care of our hair the right way so what would you say was the worst thing you ever did to your hair?

Besides getting a relaxer I think mine would be burning my hair straight with that dang Gold N' Hot crappy iron. I've always been pretty hair concious but this was my downfall. That iron did so much damage to my hair and my goofy butt kept on using it,:lol: . I would let that thing heat up to maximum heat, apply some type of grease (no heat protectant). I could hear my hair sizzle, and when I got to the ends I would put extra grease and iron it over and over to get it really straight:eek: . My hair smelled burned for days.......and I thought this was normal.:( I cringe at the thought of ever having done this.

Oh, I have to add one more......I would never trim my hair. Needless to say it never grew past a certain point.

I'm so glad I found hair boards.:D Please share your experiences.
c010.gif

Sometimes I would relax 2 times in the same month. I didn't need to and I still don't know why.....

Once in high school I was dying to color my hair, so I decided to brave it and do it myself. I first bought a box of semi-permanent color. When that did nothing to my jet black hair, I bought a box of permanent color a few days later and applied that. I didn't get the exact color that I wanted so I called Clairol and they told me that I could buy a box of hair bleach and use the bleach without the activator and lighten my hair to the color I wanted:eek: .

Mind you this was all in a matter of 2 weeks. My hair was relaxed with a super no lye relaxer and wasn't in the best shape.

You know the results...my hair started falling out and within a month or so I had to cut my hair down to 1 inch which I slicked back (easiest hairstyle I ever had)!

I experimented once with color after this when my hair was natural. The color was a disaster but since I didn't have any other chemical in it, my hair was strong enough to survive that disaster.

Since then, I've wanted to color my hair 1 or 2x more, but I haven't gone through with it. To scared I guess. I prefer to have long hair than colored hair. I don't think coloring my relaxed hair is a good option for me.

I sure do love hair color though, I try to mix colors in when I braid my hair, this is the only color for me now.

i bleached my hair once and then two weeks later went swimming in a pool. my hair fell out in clumps and I had to cut it all off.

For me I would say getting a Relaxer , and burning it every morning with a hot iron, coloring it whenever I felt like it, using the wrong shampoos, all kinds of hair grease etc. Isoplus sheen spray daily.

Thank Goodness for Haircare Boards like this one!

Washed my hair when it turned red, thats when it was ready-
Perm my entire head every month or 2 (what a touch-up?)
Put protein gel on my hair by the handful and leave it there for a good month

And my personal favorite before i got in the hair game-
Allow a braider to put glue on my braids at my ear level-leave those braids in for 3 months-spray it with oil sheen every now and then, thats all, and only for shine, my hair doenst need moisture, it grows best dirty and dry-pick braids up off the floor with my hair at the roots attatched to it,it will grow back ( ME AND MY FRIEND WERE ALL LIKE THIS)-then when it was time to take them out put shampoo and conditioner on them for 3 days then brush them out and pull them out and comb the braids out from the root down -glue and hair everywhere had to cut the glue out-

Then when i had 2 handfuls of hair on the floor got a relaxer and not want a trim or a cut

I used hair grease w/ petroleum and mineral oil for years. And I wondered why my scalp was filthy every week

i would perm every three to four weeks

i wouldn't cut split ends because i wanted to save the length. the split traveled up the shaft and i had to cut at least 1 inch

back in high school, i used the curling iron the wrong way and destroyed my ends

i brushed my hair back in a pony tail for years. now i'm fighting to get the hair around my temples to grow back

One time I let a hairdresser put me under the dryer with a perm in my hair because she said it was not taking because it was cold in the salon....needless to say my scalp was torn up after that!

When I was in high school I permed my hair and since I didn't have any nautralizing poo I used reg. poo.:eek: The strange thing is no matter what I did to my hair this was pretty healthy.:look:

Using a relaxer was the worst thing. But there are plenty of other things I did that were bad for my hair like blow drying, using one of those marcel curling irons on HIGH, not detangling for days and then ripping through my dry hair with a brush or comb and washing infrequently. My hair grew to bsl, but I still don't know how.

rmw35 said:
One time I let a hairdresser put me under the dryer with a perm in my hair because she said it was not taking because it was cold in the salon....needless to say my scalp was torn up after that!

:eek: OMG!!!

rmw35 said:
wow. that hairdresser needs to have his/her licnese taken back

I was ridiculous. I left my hair alone when I was young, only having a relaxer once every 4-6 weeks, barely washing it, and usually wearing a ponytail, so it was pretty long.
Then I got the crazy idea to dye the front blue (cause everyone was doing it), so I bleached it and dyed it blue, but it turned green instead. So then I put dark color right over that to fix it. Two weeks later I got a relaxer. My hair started breaking off so fast, people were asking if I got it cut.
Then I got to college and found the magic of the flat iron, the huge gold n hot that I turned ALL the way up and thought the burning smell meant it would get straighter. I went from APL to a barely shoulder length in a year and a half.
I was using no moisturizing products, besides a good shampoo and conditioner.
Goodness...I was hair enemy #1 :ohwell:

Some stupid stuff I've done to my hair in the past:

-I used to relax my hair every 6-8 weeks.
-Used a regular strength relaxer while relaxing every 6-8 weeks. (my hair is fine, so I don't know what I was thinking :nono: )
-Wore extension braids in my hair when I was younger (they tore up my hairline, and were WAY too tight!)
-I let a stylist rollerset, blowdry, AND flat iron my hair all in one day. What was I thinking? That idiot... :mad:
-I never washed my hair unless I went swimming or had a touch up. :nono: Again....why?? :confused:
-I got micro braids
-When I was younger, after I would wash my hair, I wouldn't even condition! :eek:
-I used to curl my bangs every morning before school. :nono:
-I got dominican blowouts. (they may work for some people, and they made my hair silky and bouncy, but my hair is way too fine for the heat on that dryer! :eek: )

Carefree Curl - WAAAAY back in the day. That stuff just ripped my hair up.

Mizani Relaxer - my hair was like straw. It was so crispy I wanted to scream. NEVER will I use Mizani again!!

Colored it with L'Oreal Feria. My hair was so brittle and dry and was breaking really badly. I had to cut it to shoulder length and started using Joico k-pak deep penetrating reconstructor.

going to the JCP to have it relaxed.
I went from APL hair to ear-length hair. And that's only because I couldn't bear to cut it any shorter, because the damage certainly went further up the shaft.

I would blow dry my hair every day. Then I would take a hard bristle old brush and brush hair real hard, entire length.

Never wash my braids so that they would last for 3-4 months
+
Never deep conditioned my hair
+
Always used cheap (under $3) hair products
+
Never used water-based products
=
sore scalp and dry uneven hair :(

It's a toss up between blowfrying my hair every other (sometimes every) day and putting a f*&%ing thio-relaxer (japanese hair straightening) system at home. I had lovely thick long hair and it all chipped off (broke off in little pieces everywhere until it was above the ears). That was three plus years ago and I'm just now getting back to where I was.

Thank God for you ladies and LHCF. Otherwise I would be bald, no doubt. :grin:

Pokahontas said:
I know all of us probably had some unhealthy hair ways or some hair horror stories before we found hair boards and started taking care of our hair the right way so what would you say was the worst thing you ever did to your hair?

Besides getting a relaxer I think mine would be burning my hair straight with that dang Gold N' Hot crappy iron. I've always been pretty hair concious but this was my downfall. That iron did so much damage to my hair and my goofy butt kept on using it,:lol: . I would let that thing heat up to maximum heat, apply some type of grease (no heat protectant). I could hear my hair sizzle, and when I got to the ends I would put extra grease and iron it over and over to get it really straight:eek: . My hair smelled burned for days.......and I thought this was normal.:( I cringe at the thought of ever having done this.

Oh, I have to add one more......I would never trim my hair. Needless to say it never grew past a certain point.

I'm so glad I found hair boards.:D Please share your experiences.
c010.gif

#1 relax it
#2 use heat every single day
#3 burning my "fly-aways" with a lighter (my real hair) underneath some darn braids because I didn't know any better. :mad: :ohwell:

Used a curling iron every freakin day.

I remember when my hair was breaking bad from chemicals and I continued to use a curling iron despite my hair was breaking off all over the bathroom sink. I was so stupid two years ago.

Back