What don't you like about YT hair demos?

styling videos that don't show a picture of the style before the demonstration (or at least have the style in, before redoing it or something). I hate watching 5 minutes before getting to a style that looks like a HAM anyway. Let me know before I waste my time loading this video!

i just want folks to get straight to the point for "review" videos.
I also wanna see the product. and I can do without you reading the entire ingredient list, and directions on the back. Its takes up too much time. Just get to the review

improperly clothed youtubers. if you're talking why is you hair all up in the camera? worst, why aren't you wearing pants? :perplexed:

Has anyone talked about shower videos? I admit it, I cannot stand it when people do videos of them in the dang shower...if you don't know how to condition your hair, just give up, real talk. I swear, people would have YT folks doing tutorials on eating if they had their way...

EllePixie

even if they're wearing a cute little pink sports bra? :look:

I can deal with little kids in the background. It can actually be funny occasionally. Do not like cell phones.

If someone's doing a braid tutorial, I need them to make sure their fingers aren't in the way or that the lighting is good.

When the audio is crap and you can't hear a :censored: thing the reviewer is saying. Or on the opposite end of the spectrum, way too loud. Blowing my computers speakers and ish.

Reviewing the same type of wig style or doing a tutorial for the same hairstyle. I get it, you like shoulder-length wavy wigs in 1b. Yes, twists are very versatile. NEXT!

I watched a hair dye tutorial yesterday just to see what the color looked like afterwards. Did she show the resulting color? No. Just how to splat hair dye on to your head. :wallbash:

Reviews on products you have used once...
Tutorials using a new product...
Saying you are going to do something (upload a certain video) and not doing it...
Telling me all of your business...(I don't want to see your kids, know where you live, work...etc.)

As for the reviewers:
Charzboss - she is so cynical...but it works and the videos are usually on point
EllePixie - that dog cracks me up - but I have two dogs.
EmpressRi - well, we don't have the same type of hair - but she has reviewed darn near everything, so atleast I can see the consistancy of the product.
FamilyGoingNatural - well, well, well, she is funny as H$%#%$#

Those are a few of my fave youtubers too! They are such genuine ladies...they come on yt to give advice and to just be helpful not to BOAST and say I AM the hair guru and YOU NEED this info from me so LISTEN UP as I will only say this once and I WONT answer this question again, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH like I did lol...yall know exactly who I am talking about!

I luv tastiredbone and splinta24 too! splinta has an accent but she's very genuine and gives honest reviews! I don't mind an accent. A speech impediment can be a little distracting but it doesn't take away from what that person can add to me!

I luv youtube, its a free resource and I refer to it when I need inspiration!

Trying to promote their blogs or products

Here's one:
"And if you follow me on Twitter you would already know :blah: :blah: :blah:" :rolleyes:

EllePixie

even if they're wearing a cute little pink sports bra? :look:

:lachen:

Reviews on products you have used once...
Tutorials using a new product...
Saying you are going to do something (upload a certain video) and not doing it...
Telling me all of your business...(I don't want to see your kids, know where you live, work...etc.)

Preach on it sister. Can't stand to see people do product reviews with full jars of product, and then talk about how it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I could see if it was a first impression, and then a few weeks/months later you film a separate review. That all should be one video though IMO. It would give the review a more authentic feel. BTW, that video should still be no longer than 5 minutes.:lol:

I do a couple of them too. Like looking mad/sad during the video. :lachen: I did get told off about that though on the comments. I was tired as hell that day and it was do the vid then or never.

i saw that ignorant a$$ comment.

im like this, you cant please everyone. and you dont get a check for the vids so do you lol!

Pointless misleading videos:
I wanted to see a styling video using a specific product and I stumbled upon a girl receiving the products and opening them!!! She literally had postal boxes and a box cutter, then she'd take each product out, bring it to the camera and turn it, right, left, up and down... for like 5 or 6 different products.

Then she didn't even do her hair at all, ended it with "ok guys, I'll make another video eventually when I try these out":thud: And I sat through the whole thing cuz I couldn't believe that's all it was.
I was like no you di'int just have me sittin here waiting just to see jars and bottles in motion.

Aside from that, if it's a recipe, write it out in the video description so we don't have to keep rewinding to hear 1tsp of this, that...
I don't mind rambling and straying off topic if the person is engaging.

You ladies have covered all the bases. I hate when people keep their space unkempt and I detest lip-smacking. Since these are things that irk me in real life, they tend to bother me a great deal on YouTube, too. Someone who is becoming one of my favorite YT hair folks is Mae, because I like her personality and the actual tutorials themselves are quite helpful. For example, this is the one she just did on dong a braidout: http://www.youtube.com/user/Nikkimae2003 This particular video encapsulates a lot of what I'm looking for in a good tutorial/demo: good music that's not distracting, making an effort to show viewers precisely what you did, speaking clearly and slowly (but not so slow as to make one feel that they're being talked down to), and a nondescript/clean background. :yep:

I guess I don't mind any of them. Most of them I do skip through, when it's excessive rambling, but sometimes, the rambling is actually something I probably would've asked anyways lol. I skim through everything though. *cough*even lhcf*cough* lol. But thats just me, Unless it's really something thats SUPER interesting , i'm skimming to get to the meat of it anyways. Thankfully we can skip through the videos as we please.

I don't watch too many hair videos anymore coz they get repetitious after a while.

Here's some things I won't stick around for (not that they care since they already have the click but then again a bored viewer may not come back).

- Rambling. Ten minutes of rambling out of an 15 minute video is too much. Youtube used to have time limits for most. Too bad they got rid of that rule. A few people put minute markers in the description so people can skip to the key parts and that's thoughtful.

- Package opening videos. I don't watch those actually. Unless you have a hair kit from Queen Nefretiti's tomb no need to film it. Who wants to see dirty fed ex boxes opened.

- We're all human but try to keep the delusions in check. The synthetic faux polynesian wig looks fake on you too - not just on other people's heads. Justsayin'.

I wanted to see a styling video using a specific product and I stumbled upon a girl receiving the products and opening them!!! She literally had postal boxes and a box cutter, then she'd take each product out, bring it to the camera and turn it, right, left, up and down... for like 5 or 6 different products.

Then she didn't even do her hair at all, ended it with "ok guys, I'll make another video eventually when I try these out":thud: And I sat through the whole thing cuz I couldn't believe that's all it was.
I was like no you di'int just have me sittin here waiting just to see jars and bottles in motion.

Aside from that, if it's a recipe, write it out in the video description so we don't have to keep rewinding to hear 1tsp of this, that...

I got duped with those types of videos too because some people actually label them as product reviews.

Other than the bolded, the only other thing that bothers me about YT videos is people playing with their pets.

I'm hollerin'! :lachen:

I hate watching videos more than 10 mins long without a tutorial in the video. IDC how you try to explain your technic without a visualization.

Everything's pretty much been said but +100000000 to the person who said reading ingredients. I can google that in the matter of seconds but it will take you half my life to read ingredients and the other half of my life struggling to read said ingredients.

The long intro that talks for 3+ minutes about the style then FINALLY say "to see how to get this look, keep watching/stay tuned" then literally after a 1 second fade they say "welcome back" or whatever....and STILLLLLLL ARE TALKING!!!!! This applies to makeup vids also.

Actually love this thread! Somebody said they "miss my personality" in my videos because I go right into the style and sometimes have the voice over....but I find that I prefer the quick n' dirty when I myself am watching, so that's how I wanna make my videos whenever possible!

I guess I don't mind any of them. Most of them I do skip through, when it's excessive rambling, but sometimes, the rambling is actually something I probably would've asked anyways lol. I skim through everything though. *cough*even lhcf*cough* lol. But thats just me, Unless it's really something thats SUPER interesting , i'm skimming to get to the meat of it anyways. Thankfully we can skip through the videos as we please.

Very much agree with that.

These things might bother me
if I payed for an instructional video, but in the infinite land of YouTube with unlimited free advice from obvious non-experts, I'd feel petty to get irked by lipsmaking or playing with a puppy.
I understand it though.
I also have to assume that followers of the "blah blah blah" filled videos have followers who like their personality and appreciate the rambling to a degree.
I do raise an eyebrow @ long explanations of a technique without any visual aid or demonstration, then called a tutorial. Makes me feel tricked.
It also makes me question their skills...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

i hate everything about yt hair demos... the only hair yt channel i watch is traycee, she's the only one i can stomach and i actually learn something from her... yt m/u tutorials are my thang...

me too..i hate everything about YT hair demos. i barely watch any of them, it's frustrating..including my own :lol:

Phew! Glad to see I don't do too many of the things that irk people. Lol!

-I ramble a bit sometimes coz I forget what I'm gonna say, (great idea about writing it down btw!) but if I'm about to do a vid on how I do a certain style - I don't call mine tutorials coz I'm not showing people how to do it, I'm just showing how I do mine - the rambling is around a minute tops, then the rest is me actually doing it. If the vid is just me rambling then I title it, 'Hair ramblings'.

-Noises in the background. Seriously, they don't sound loud at all when I'm recording and then when I play the video back I'm like WTF? Why does that police siren OUTSIDE sound like it's in my living room? And I can't exactly do it over if I just did a vid of me styling my hair for the day so I just leave it.

-When I first made my yt channel I couldn't find the right spot to do them, or the right lighting so my first few vids have a shaky camera coz I'm holding it in my hand, or they have crap lighting. Lol. But hey, I've got it sorted now.

But yeah, I think (I hope :ohwell:) those are my only annoying video things.

-Noises in the background. Seriously, they don't sound loud at all when I'm recording and then when I play the video back I'm like WTF? Why does that police siren OUTSIDE sound like it's in my living room? And I can't exactly do it over if I just did a vid of me styling my hair for the day so I just leave it.

you can't help that, but i don't wanna hear the "febreze whistle" 'cause the tv is too loud:lol:

Phew! Glad to see I don't do too many of the things that irk people. Lol!

-I ramble a bit sometimes coz I forget what I'm gonna say, (great idea about writing it down btw!) but if I'm about to do a vid on how I do a certain style - I don't call mine tutorials coz I'm not showing people how to do it, I'm just showing how I do mine - the rambling is around a minute tops, then the rest is me actually doing it. If the vid is just me rambling then I title it, 'Hair ramblings'.

-When I first made my yt channel I couldn't find the right spot to do them, or the right lighting so my first few vids have a shaky camera coz I'm holding it in my hand, or they have crap lighting. Lol. But hey, I've got it sorted now.

But yeah, I think (I hope :ohwell:) those are my only annoying video things.

Yeah but Sheena284 at least you DO them!
I've always wanted to but besides the fact that I don't know much about YT, uploading, downloading, sideloading etc. I'm just simply too scared to face the YT world and be criticized and what do I do with my hair that's so special!? NADA! So, kudos to you for putting yourself out there and facing the world :)

I'll find the courage soon enough.....

One of the few things that bothers me are people who pronounce words incorrectly or use words incorrectly for example saying "regiment" instead of "regimen". If you're not sure what the word means just keep it simple. This may be weird but its my pet peeve. I can deal with everything else because youtube is free if Im not interested I can just click on the next video and KIM.

Last edited:
Back