What don't you like about YT hair demos?

music too loud and long intros
rambling for the first 4 mins
stopping during tutorial to ramble about something unrelated
answering phone and having conversation during taping (just redo the vid)
doing full tutorial while holding the camera
bad sound/lighting

I cant stand when they don't explain what products they used or tools or techniques they used. Thats very important! Especially if you're showing us that you flat-ironed your hair! I like product reviews where people show the product in their hair! Its not mandatory for me to enjoy the review but its preferred. I also don't like when the style isn't coming out right and they go away to fix it and come back and its on point. Can you show me the extent of the fingercombing or placement of accessories that you did to get there?

All the other stuff I don't care about. Like the kids in the background etc. Doesn't bother me!

*takes notes*
how do ya'll feel about... ahem... accents? in my speech class, i got points taken off for it.

oh, and music?

I'm having trouble understanding how an instructor can take points OFF of a final grade because of an accent?!
Curiosity:
How did you find out it was for your accent?

Forgot to add...I can't stand how a lot of people just seem the same.

"Hey youtube, it's ya girl [such and such] and I'm comin' at chu today with...."

It's like most are reading from the same script.:rolleyes:

I'm having trouble understanding how an instructor can take points OFF of a final grade because of an accent?!
Curiosity:
How did you find out it was for your accent?
he wrote "excessive drawling" and "lack of articulation" on the paper:ohwell:

Forgot to add...I can't stand how a lot of people just seem the same.

"Hey youtube, it's ya girl [such and such] and I'm comin' at chu today with...."

It's like most are reading from the same script.:rolleyes:

i know right? we see your name and title on the screen already

EX:

A wig review. :blah::blah::blah::blah: 4 minutes later puts wig on :blah::blah::blah::blah: Take 4 more minutes styling :blah::blah::blah::blah:Then finally the end result.

Product review, style how to, ect....:blah::blah::blah::blah:4 minutes later you get to the point for a few seconds then :blah::blah::blah::blah: Oh yeah!!!! This vid is supposed to be about a product review, style how to, ect so let me mention it for a sec then :blah::blah::blah::blah:
:rolleyes:

I can't stand the ones where they talk so much they lose their train of thought then they say, "so um yeah." What?

Also get to the point. My attention span is short. If you plan to teach me according to the topic you posted, then teach. Stop rambling and looking at yourself in the mirror.

Make your videos when you know you won't be distracted. I don't want to listen to you while Good Times or a familiar commercial is playing loudly in the background. Also if you think you may disturb someone in the other room while filming your video, wait until they go to work so you can stop whispering.

Unruly children in the videos.

Dancing. Stop it, it's a hair tutorial. If I wanted to see dancing, I would have type dancing or dancing while fixing my hair in the search.

Having a radio right beside you while you are talking. Um no. Learn how to incorporate the music but please don't place a radio beside you. That's like riding in a car with a radio on the seat.

Messy bedrooms and bathrooms. I'm looking at your place...see my ADD sets in when I see stuff lying around.

It takes courage to put yourself out there for the world to see though.

Last edited:
I can't stand the ones where they talk so much they lose their train of thought then they say, "so um yeah." What?

Also get to the point. My attention span is short. If you plan to teach me according to the topic you posted, then teach. Stop rambling and looking at yourself in the mirror.

Make your videos when you know you won't be distracted. I don't want to listen to you while Good Times or a familiar commercial is playing loudly in the background. Also if you think you may disturb someone in the other room while filming your video, wait until they go to work so you can stop whispering.

Unruly children in the videos.

Dancing. Stop it, it's a hair tutorial. If I wanted to see dancing, I would have type dancing or dancing while fixing my hair in the search.

Having a radio right beside you while you are talking. Um no. Learn how to incorporate the music but please don't place a radio beside you. That's like riding in a car with a radio on the seat.

Messy bedrooms and bathrooms. I'm looking at your place...see my ADD sets in when I see stuff lying around.

It takes courage to put yourself out there for the world to see though.
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I don't like some voice-overs because I feel it's a commercial...buy this! Buy it, buy it!
I hate long talking videos....unless it's a tag vid, why are you still talking!
I don't like them shouting at kids at random intervals.

I do like short videos too 5 mins perfect but less than 10 is fine. I tend to fast-forward if I know they're a "talker"!

Trying to promote their blogs or products every five seconds...dang

Bad quality

Not looking happy to do the video

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Long Hair Care Forum App

For me:
Talking way too much and saying the same thing over and over
Poor lighting
Inability to clearly see the style or hair (mainly if the person is outside of camera shot)
Loud music in the background

What don't you like?

In some of Kimmaytube's videos, she records the voice after making the vid., I like that. How can I do that? It's so clear and to the point.

^^Ditto. These are my dislikes exactly!! Especially the loud music one! I see a lot of hair vids where this loud, obnoxious music is in the FOREGROUND and it just kills the tutorial for me. :nono:

Wow y'all are a tough group.. I need to step my videos up.. I do most of the things y'all explained and disliked :/

Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

i hate everything about yt hair demos... the only hair yt channel i watch is traycee, she's the only one i can stomach and i actually learn something from her... yt m/u tutorials are my thang...

I cant stand when they don't explain what products they used or tools or techniques they used. Thats very important!

Exactly! When I was searching for crochet braid tutorials I came across so many where the person says "oh sorry, I can't remember which hair I used!" How could someone do a vid of the process from start to finish and not list the brand name of the hair? :wallbash:

Wow y'all are a tough group.. I need to step my videos up.. I do most of the things y'all explained and disliked :/

Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App
I do a couple of them too. Like looking mad/sad during the video. :lachen: I did get told off about that though on the comments. I was tired as hell that day and it was do the vid then or never.

No one is original in presentation. How many times in a wig video have we heard "There's a comb in the front", then wig is flipped to see the comb, "and two combs in the back" show combs. "You will need bobby pins" hand goes in front of the camera so that you can see what a bobby pin looks like :(

I absolutely can't stand videos that are just to tell you what a future video will be about. "Just to let you know, watch out for my upcoming video on braidouts", end of video. What was that? I also don't like endless shout outs to sponsers, fellow youtubers, people they met at a hair expo, people on such and such blog, etc.

eta: hair style tutorials where they show the front, top of the hair and sides but don't turn around to show the back.

Last edited:
videos are a bunch of work and although I laugh or get annoyed with some of the vloggers, it's the nature of the game.

The only thing I do not like is when the vlogger branches off to their own business. However, I must say that i have purchased some of their products.

Kimmays hair clips and headbands - which I like, but I have now found them in Target and the headbands are too small for my big head.
PrettyDimples Shea Butter mixture - :nono: it's just Shea Butter
Black Onyx - Shine Crave - Coconut butter/oil :nono: and those craft class earrings...

As for the reviewers:
Charzboss - she is so cynical...but it works and the videos are usually on point
EllePixie - that dog cracks me up - but I have two dogs.
EmpressRi - well, we don't have the same type of hair - but she has reviewed darn near everything, so atleast I can see the consistancy of the product.
BeautifulBrownBabydol- it sounds like she is preaching...and that neck rolling is hee-larry-us...but we have the same type of hair...so the styles that work for her, work for me! (And she is a Soror)
PhillyDiva - she loves that mineral oil!
FamilyGoingNatural - well, well, well, she is funny as H$%#%$#
Himay10nance - curses like a sailor but speaks the truth

I could go on...but these are not Grammy/Emmy winning performances, but as a whole, only 10% of us actually post a video. It's so easy for us to judge. But let me get up there and y'all hear my Southern Accent; Oh lawd, you'd talk about me too!

On the flipside all of these ladies have taught me something about my hair and YT is for entertainment purposes only...aren't you entertained? didn't you learn something?

Has anyone talked about shower videos? I admit it, I cannot stand it when people do videos of them in the dang shower...if you don't know how to condition your hair, just give up, real talk. I swear, people would have YT folks doing tutorials on eating if they had their way...

I don't really have any video pet peeves...it's moreso youtube itself...since it got acquired theres been ads all over the place and commercials before every video :nono:

I hate when I sit through a how to video only to have the style look busted at the end of the vid. i.e. like something I could have done myself with no instruction. I also want to know every product/styling tool that was used- I hate when people just start using stuff and assume that I should know what it is.

Gees...too many things to name, but I'll give it a try:

1. Smacking
2. Loud music in the background
3. Long videos (over 5 minutes)
4. Rambling
5. Dirty, nasty rooms
6. Distractions (kids, husbands, whatever)
7. When people are trying to show you how much product they use (I guess) and they put their hand right in the camera. I think this is totally unnecessary and a lot of the time their hand is so close in the camera you can't tell how much product they have in the first place
8. When people are trying to show a product and they put the bottle or jar right up in the camera (this annoys me the same as #7 above)
9. People who are just downright boring
10. When the video is titled "how to do two strand twists on long hair" and the person's hair is APL
11. When people are too "preachy"...This is hard to describe, but one person who comes to mind is BeautifulBrownBabyDoll (sp?)

I can go on and on.....

Back