Weave It Up Challenge 2010

My UpDaTe: So I called around for a stylist yesterday to do my sew in. I found one girl with a lot of pictures and emailed her about her experience with curly hair. Everything sounded on the up and up so I scheduled an appointment over the phone for the next day. Because I'm nosy I started to inspect her pictures again and noticed something strange... MY HAIR! :blush: She had a picture of my hair when I had kinky twists on her page as her work! I wondered how in the world did she have my picture. So I did a google image search of "kinky twists" and my picture popped up. I realized that I posted that picture on BHM twists section when I was offering advice and somehow it made it to a search engine. Even worse the picture is now attached to an article and a Braider's classified ad. I'm watermarking my pictures from now on... oh and I cancelled the appointment.

My UpDaTe: So I called around for a stylist yesterday to do my sew in. I found one girl with a lot of pictures and emailed her about her experience with curly hair. Everything sounded on the up and up so I scheduled an appointment over the phone for the next day. Because I'm nosy I started to inspect her pictures again and noticed something strange... MY HAIR! :blush: She had a picture of my hair when I had kinky twists on her page as her work! I wondered how in the world did she have my picture. So I did a google image search of "kinky twists" and my picture popped up. I realized that I posted that picture on BHM twists section when I was offering advice and somehow it made it to a search engine. Even worse the picture is now attached to an article and a Braider's classified ad. I'm watermarking my pictures from now on... oh and I cancelled the appointment.

:huh: Get outta here. For real. Wow.

That is crazy. You should ask her to take it down it is a misrepresentation of her work and unethical. Wow.:nono:

I'm in! I'm installing my weave today! I'm in for the 6 mos challenge, but I might extend to the 12. We'll see how my progress goes!!

:grin:I am getting my hair done tommorow. I have an appt wher emy lik sis normally gets hers done. Yay. I can wait. I am going to do a steam treatment to night with ORS and olive oil.

:huh: Get outta here. For real. Wow.

That is crazy. You should ask her to take it down it is a misrepresentation of her work and unethical. Wow.:nono:

I plan to email her to take down the picture. I want a paper trail. Since the image popped up in a search I think I would be o.k. if she had put a disclaimer that "all images are an example of the work I can re-create but are not pictures of actual clients" or something to that effect. It's so weird. I tried to go back and edit the original thread it was posted in but it's archived and I can't make changes. They were a fly set of twists though. :look:

I'm in! I'm installing my weave today! I'm in for the 6 mos challenge, but I might extend to the 12. We'll see how my progress goes!!

Welcome to the challenge! I'm sorry about your stylist mishap. I'm sure you'll recover in no time. Don't forget to fill out the starting info located at the bottom of the OP.

As pitiful as I am, I would be all flattered and stuff. Upset and violated but flattered.:look:

Girl! :lachen: I suppose it's flattering but I'd be pissed if I came to her as a new client for KTs and they didn't come out like her previous "work". I was impressed by her weave pictures and would be ready to wring her neck if she jacked up my install given how much the hair cost.

I already started..... just got my install that will take me into March

IMG00422-1.jpg

I already started..... just got my install that will take me into March

IMG00422-1.jpg

LOVE IT
I think that the best compliment that you can give ANYone on a weave is that it looks like you r hair SOOOOOOOOO it looks like yours:grin:
stats please hair type and length:yep:

***********LADIES IF POSSIBLE PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR STATS HAIR BRAND,TEXTURE AND LENGTH THIS WILL HELP ALOT OF PEOPLE TO CHOOSE A TEXTURE OR EDUCATE THOSE WHO ARE NEW TO WEAVES***********

I self installed this sunday evening this is how I will start off the challenge.

I am a fine haired medium density Andre 4a naturall but my hair is a tight kinky wave not curl. My hair is APLish and CBL in the front. but that doesnt really matter for this install because all I left out were my edges and they are significantly shorter.

I used Sensational Goddess Remy hair in 1b 12". I straightened my leave out hair with a SEDU :)

DSCF2439.jpg

DSCF2434.jpg

This is the amount of hair I left out. I can side or middle part if I like.
My hair is braided in a circle with a U shaped part and my edges left out. the lil front swoop you see if weave as well I like to layer the front of my weave. I find it helps for a more natural blend

DSCF2447.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my install (I did it on my own :grin: )
I wanted to go with something close to my natural texture so I wouldn't have to worry about blending, and I wanted it SL (just for a more realistic look)
Model Model Dream Weaver Afro Curl 10" (wet and wavy)
I paid $60 for 2 packs
(Its been a while since I've weaved up)
So if I can make it until the end of Jan with this I know I will be okay for this challenge

weaver.jpg

I wanted to go with something close to my natural texture so I wouldn't have to worry about blending, and I wanted it SL (just for a more realistic look)
I paid $60 for 2 packs
So if I can make it until the end of Jan with this I know I will be okay for this challenge

weaver.jpg
Isnt that hair awesome! I use it for my kinky styles great for ppl sho arent ready to commit to AAMH or Hally creole curly prices....and I even reused the model model hair

Count me in! I think....

I've never had a full-head weave before so after I get the first one in January, if I don't like it then the plan below is null and void :look:

I plan to have 3 installs in 2010 in this cyle:
Weave for 10-12 weeks
Leave hair out 3-4 weeks.

Cleans scalp (with an applicator bottle filled with diluted sulfate-free poo or witch hazel) every 1-2 weeks

Moisturize scalp (still working on what concoction to go with but it will involve tea tree oil)

I originally had this plan so that I could BC in December but I realized my biggest motivation for BCing is the ability to do wash n go's and December is definitely not the time to do those so I probably won't cut until Spring/Summer 2011

I got my install!! I have some better "before" pics but I have to find the cord to my camera so for now I'll just post what I had on my Iphone

In the white shirt was when i first used my Maxiglide 2 weeks ago. I only used it on 6 so my roots weren't bone straight but pretty straight nonetheless. In the pic with the hat on, I just blow dried it with no comb attachment right before I went to get the install. I put the hat and scarf on to kind of smush down the roots since I didnt straighten them.

The weave pic is with the bangs and red hat. Sorry for the hat, the pic wasnt meant to really show off the weave (it was actually to show off my new bag :grin: ). I used Remi Goddess hair. It was 14 inches (but seemed longer) and I had them trim it for shape. Half way through I plan to get it cut to about shoulder length.

ETA: it's a full-head weave, no hair left out. (my first time ever doing it that way)

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Snapshot hat.jpg
    Snapshot hat.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
@ Angenoir... I do my own!

Wow! All4Tris, that is great. I really want to try doing my own as I think I can. But my cornrows are usually not all that firm so I either have to try to do firmier ones or get someone to do the cornrows for me.

I'm in-
Are you weaving it up for 6 or 12 months?

6 months, possibly 12 months

Regimen:

I plain on using a net to minimize the damage to my hair. washing every 7-10 days, Max. Moisturizing underneath 4x a week. Leave out hair everyday.

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave:

Own Hair- CON shampoo and conditioner diluted. Doo-grow stimulating grow oil or just Jojoba and peppermint mixed.

Weave- Depends, if its virgin or processed. I haven't decided yet. However, I will be sealing my wefts.

End of challenge goal:

To have stronger healthy strands in general.

Post a starting length picture:

Coming soon

I'm going for the 6 months

Regimen:

Wash once per week and air dry then flat iron. I'm using Belle Remy straight 1b/33

Victoria's Secret So Sexy Shampoo/Conditioner. Using VS hair serum also. It is the best for weaves and it smell soooo sexy.:lick: It takes out the weavy smell too!:yep: I also plan to henna in between re-installs

End of challenge goal:

BSL :grin:

A pic from my jacked up hair cut yesterday!:sad:

picture.php

Last edited:
Girl! :lachen: I suppose it's flattering but I'd be pissed if I came to her as a new client for KTs and they didn't come out like her previous "work". I was impressed by her weave pictures and would be ready to wring her neck if she jacked up my install given how much the hair cost.

That is pretty bogus. I have an ex-friend that lied about whose hair she had done. She was pretty bogus in her whole life so I 'barred' her.:lachen: We used to use that term when we broke up with a boy back in the 80's. She acted like I broke up with her. I'm like girl, I got a man. :lachen:

Competition is pretty rough out there but if you do good work, it'll speak for itself. She'll get her comeuppance when one of her clients slaps the taste out of her mouth.:yep:

6 months

Regimen:
Moisturize triweekly with coconut oil/one weekly with MT for growth
Wash biweekly with baking soda/cone-free conditioner
Update when I know what the heck else I'm doing.

don't know yet. I'll update.

End of challenge goal:
BSL - healthy or not - I claim healthy. I don't even know where I am now because I have a Nefertiti neck, man shoulders and a big back.:lachen: Look how far away my shoulders are from my neck and how far my back is from my shoulders. My shoulders are crooked because of my scoliosis. I'm deflicted. :crying3:

December222009.jpg

Cell phone picture of my raggedy ends.

Last edited:
I paid $60 for 2 packs

weaver.jpg

How is this hair because I want to buy some BSS afro hair for now and wait til tax time at the end of January to buy the hair that I really want? Trifling, I know, but true.:look:

LOVE IT
I think that the best compliment that you can give ANYone on a weave is that it looks like you r hair SOOOOOOOOO it looks like yours:grin:
stats please hair type and length:yep:

This is laniks virgin curly and nature girl 2b that i brought from someone on BHM... I love this hair. its 18 inches in length and I colored the hair myself. I got developer and bleach, mixed the two together, read BHM and LHCF threads on how to self color and went to work.. LOL it worked nicely...

Most of the becky's think its my hair lol

Are you weaving it up for 6 or 12 months? I'm going for 6 months(hopefully I can make it which i believe i can) I usually wear my weaves for 2 months at the most.

Regimen: hmmmm thats a tuff one because i do get a little laxed when it comes to wearing weaves....but i plan to wash my hair with diluted shampoos once a month. And then I plan on using the Hydratherma Naturals Follicle Invigorator.

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave: Again i don't have any special products that i use. Maybe a diluted shampoo, but nothing special.

End of challenge goal: Right now i dont know how to really measure im just above my shoulders. So im not really big on length i just want to hope that I dont have any setbacks, that my hair is healthy, and thick and actual more shoulder length.

Post a starting length picture: I'll come back and post...

Last edited:
Back