Was our hair meant to be this difficult?

This is an interesting topic. As posted on the first page, the word difficult is subjective and one's point of view colored by the negative connotation.

I do not think my hair is difficult nor is taking care of it a chore. I'm having a blast trying a new thing every now and again (used to be all of the time). I have learned so much. This reminds me of my students who say "xyz is hard" shortly after beginning a new concept. I tell them it is not difficult; it is different and new. Learning requires using what we already know and building new information on top of that. Sometimes learning is about unlearning and relearning. For me, it was often more about what not to do at first. And that was okay - sometimes frustrating and sometimes fun but all part of the learning process.

The really great thing about learning and working to have healthy long hair is I am more focused on the total me. While I've always been something of a skincare fanatic, it is not longer just one part of me I care for - it's all of me. My hair, my skin, my diet, my exercise habits, getting sufficient rest - a synthesis of all of these have resulted in me taking better care of me.

Taking better care of me - now that's complicated, difficult, and one of the best things I can do.

honestly I think god meant for us to wear our natural hair textures be it nappy, kinky curly or naturally straight.

If we would stay natural (im not natural) it would be easier for us and we wouldn't even have to stress on how to get it to grow and to shine etc. Because we would have our natural locks, and imo natural hair grows faster when taken care of correctly.

putting these perms in our hair makes it more fragile (and i have strong hair) it makes our hair depend on the relaxer and if you notice when we don't perm then the breakage starts.

No, growing hair was not meant to be difficult. For this reason, I try to keep my regimen simple. I take one vitamin daily, and rollerset weekly. I don't have the time nor the energy to do much else.

Excellent topic. I have always wondered about this. Why is our hair so darn difficult? Some days I become so upset that I start to cry because of how horrid my hair looks or how hard it is to detangle. Then other times I'm mad because I see so much breakage, etc. However, I do like how one of the other members put it...our hair is difficult because we try to do other things to it that wasn't meant to be. I also liked how she used the analogy comparing how difficult it would be for a Caucasian to get hair like ours.

Yet, I really do wish that our hair was easier to manage, but when I get upset I just calm down and realize that I can fix it somehow...some way. :yep:

It does make sense and it also explains whe africans have very dark skin and why europeans have very light skin.

Most of africa is very hot and b/c of the proximity to the equator they get alot of direct sunlight. So we were made with a high concentration of melanin for defense against the sun

Most of europe isn't so hot, doesn't have direct sunlight and isn't arid more specifically in the north. So their skin evolved to allow them to have lighter skin. You have people along the mediterranean that are "dark" but thats about it. Their skin (especially in the north) was lighter to allow more sun penetration of the sun b/c they don't get as much sunlight so they need every opportunity to get soak up sun, also it helps them to synthesize vitamin D that most dark skinned people cannot do b/c of the concentration of pigtment.

Because of this that is why they people with lighter skin (not necessarily just whites) age faster than people with darker skin. That is why Austrailia with a high euruopean population and very hot climate with with direct sunlight, have the highest percentage of skin cancer of all countries.

I also read that light eyes were a mutation.

the only thing about that theory is that, if white people had longer hair because of the cold, then why is it so thin? I mean it should be long AND thick to protect them right?

Just like if our hair was "meant to be short" because of the heat, then how come it wasn't finer? Or less dense? Or softer?

I think those are things that kinda make me think those theories are not all together accurate.

I don't know. I still have hair issues. Regarding texture and length.

honestly I think god meant for us to wear our natural hair textures be it nappy, kinky curly or naturally straight.

If we would stay natural (im not natural) it would be easier for us and we wouldn't even have to stress on how to get it to grow and to shine etc. Because we would have our natural locks, and imo natural hair grows faster when taken care of correctly.

putting these perms in our hair makes it more fragile (and i have strong hair) it makes our hair depend on the relaxer and if you notice when we don't perm then the breakage starts.

Yeah but see, you said the magic words in bold. One of the main problems is the misconception of what our natural hair can do. Our hair just doesn't grow because it's natural. In fact, I think natural hair is harder to care for, especially for the Type 4b textures and up. ESPECIALLY if it's shorter too.

I see so many naturals who do the big chop and then the first year, yeah their hair grows out fast. But then I see then with that same ear length/Afro puff length for like years and years. I mean I think to myself, shouldn't she have more hair by now? Shouldn't her Afro puff be bigger by now? She she have a BAA by now :afro:

Yet it still stays the same length. I personally think that most of our hair breaks faster than it grows, especially when natural. So the question is why?

I think this is a good hair discussion topic and I hope others chime in.

I was watching the discovery channel one day and it was talking about how different "races" came about. Basicly life began in Africa, but diff. people migrated to diff. areas which had some effect on our features.

It was said in the program ,that due to the climate (hot and humid) of Africa, that Africans weren't really 'designed' to have long hair. That our hair was genetically short to keep us cool and that the coils/napps kept the sun from burning our skin on top of our heads. And white people have long hair to protect them from the cold/wind and other elements from habitating on the Northern hemisphere. And so on and so on...

Don't know how true it is. But it makes (sort of) sense to me.

But often I find myself pondering like you. Like what was GOD's intention when he created diff. ethnic 'features. Anyways, this is a good topic.

I wanted to say this!!! I was afraid, though, because I know some don't believe in evolution.

I believe the theory is:

When our ancestors were in Africa, their hair began growing slower and up(afro) overtime to adapt to the hot climate. Less hair was better for their environment. It was also better for their hair to grow up, so they would be less hot. A lot of long hair can be hot, you know??? lol.

Most(if not all) black people have ancestry in Africa. That's why we have these genetic traits.

Yeah but see, you said the magic words in bold. One of the main problems is the misconception of what our natural hair can do. Our hair just doesn't grow because it's natural. In fact, I think natural hair is harder to care for, especially for the Type 4b textures and up. ESPECIALLY if it's shorter too.

I see so many naturals who do the big chop and then the first year, yeah their hair grows out fast. But then I see then with that same ear length/Afro puff length for like years and years. I mean I think to myself, shouldn't she have more hair by now? Shouldn't her Afro puff be bigger by now? She she have a BAA by now :afro:

Yet it still stays the same length. I personally think that most of our hair breaks faster than it grows, especially when natural. So the question is why?

My afro grew 1/10 inch a year. :lol: My natural did not retain length at all, and I wore nothing but braids. :nono:

Shrinkage my dear, shrinkage....just look up miss cocoface (she's bsl w/hair that draws up to a 2-3 inch twa). In many of my photos particularly wash n gos and rollersets my hair looks like it may be 1 or 2 inches past my shoulders, max, when in actuality its about 1-2 from bsl (and I wear my bra quite low).

To shorthairforever:

Did you truly know how to care for your hair in its natural state and determined what worked for it? Because I often find that when many people first transition to natural hair, they STILL continue to use methods that worked on their straight hair-i.e using combs, styling products, or they utilize styles that do not help them become acquainted with working with their hair. It has taken me this whole 2.5 year journey to find styles & products that truly work with my texture (surprisingly rollersets, natural products, braids, wash n gos, and wigs) and even then my hair has almost grown to the same length it was when I was relaxed in much less time :yep:

Hello everyone. I am a newbie here. I did not want to post my very first comment under this thread, but the title disturbed me. I truly give all the ladies here props for so much info and inspiration I have came across on haircare. That is 'ahem' when I decide to get on the ball with it :rolleyes:. I almost second guessed myself on this thread like "...yeah why would I go through all of this!".

Pisceschica made a good point:

"...Because of this that is why they people with lighter skin (not necessarily just whites) age faster than people with darker skin. That is why Austrailia with a high euruopean population and very hot climate with with direct sunlight, have the highest percentage of skin cancer of all countries..."

Women of other races probably invest a lot of time and energy in the preservation of their skin against aging where as we don't. And again, our natural and in some cases effortless muscle definition (curves) are probably envied by women of many other races. So in essence we all have things we feel like we have to work on and other things we can embrace. But hating yourself for what God gave you that you have decided to work on or improve hair, or anything else regardless of your race, is self destructive in so many forms.:twocents:

I think it could be as simple as a matter of enviroment. I can't speak for everyone but i noticed that when im in Jamaica or Florida, my hair is NOT breaking and im a 4a/b natural, i don't have to putthat much product in it, i just leave it be, likewise with my skin...

I think it could be as simple as a matter of enviroment. I can't speak for everyone but i noticed that when im in Jamaica or Florida, my hair is NOT breaking and im a 4a/b natural, i don't have to putthat much product in it, i just leave it be, likewise with my skin...

This couldn't be more true! My hair is so nice and moisturized when I'm in the Caribbean. It's more humid there. Then on the airplane ride back to Canada :nono: skin drying out, hair getting crispy, lips chapped..

Lys

Our hair is simple if you ask me. Think abotu how much time Caucasians spend on their hair. Every morning they have to wash and condition it. After that they have to blow dry it and apply mousse for body. This takes almost an hour every morning. We don't HAVE to wash our hair every day. It doesn't turn flat just because the water hasn't touched it. Sometimes it looks better when we don't wash it awile! It's thick, and most Caucasians hair is thin, it has natural body, and defines orginality. It is unlike any other races' hair. The fashion world is in a constant struggle to create something different, something edgy, something unique. Why doesn't the hair world appreciate this? I know I do, and I wouldn't trade my beautiful 4 (something) hair from anything in the world.

I believe this is why our hair is the texture it is. I believe that thousands of years ago people(black people) moved from the East Africa into the the interior and humid parts of Africa and the body responded to the increased moisture in the air by producing less moisture in the hair and skin, so the hair got drier and as a result, more tightly curled (the body's way of adapting to its environmet).

Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible that His Hair was like lamb's wool? Lamb's wool is soft in texture, it's not like the natural texture growing out of my head now :D:D:D.

Touch an actual lamb -- it is NOT soft. That's a myth. Well..maybe a newborn lamb -- but sheep are hella rough. Also - I was born with a fro. No baby hair nowheres. I think it's fairly common among all races (and species for that matter) for that to change - just like puberty means a deeper voice, and body hair. Most people are born with soft straight hair - as they and it grow it many curl, the color usually darkens, it gets thicker. Look at a baby chicken -- it's got nothing but fuzz and then it gets longer, thicker, stronger, molts, and big ol tough feathers come out. As we age our bodies break down and we lose the glow (softness, length, fortitude) of youth. And I don't believe I'm genetically cursed or mutated for that matter. I think most AA people feel self conscious about their hair when they're in a environment where it looks like nothing around them and they know others may stare or ask questions like they're an animal in a exhibit b/c most people don't want that kind of attention. It happened to white people when the Indians first saw them, and now it happens in reverse with our hair because so few of us really wear it out in it's fluffy, kinky, curly, wiry glory. Which is not a problem -- wear your hair how you like. Think about the 70's -- everyone wore their BAA, black or otherwise and it wasn't strange or unusual to see and I doubt any of us would have been ashamed then. But now it's an issue b/c it's not something you see on the regular and you'll stick out. Our hair's natural exuberance is out of style. Most naturals today wear braids, twists or keep it short. I think most of the pressure is from the rest of the AA community vs other races -- every white person I've ever know thinks my natural hair is the coolest thing ever. Alot of them are envious to be honest with you. :grin: If every chick in hollywood was sportin' a BAA and every chick in KING and XXL had some big fat twists and dudes were drooling over that trust - the tides would begin to change once again. And for the record - I don't think relaxers = self hatred. I think it's just like dying your hair so long as you do it for you and in the right frame of mind.

I believe this is why our hair is the texture it is. I believe that thousands of years ago people(black people) moved from the East Africa into the the interior and humid parts of Africa and the body responded to the increased moisture in the air by producing less moisture in the hair and skin, so the hair got drier and as a result, more tightly curled (the body's way of adapting to its environmet).

You know I kinda heard something like that too. I know this Somalian woman said that alot of times, we (AA) have these wavy hair types, and think it's because of being mixed with something.

But she was saying actually it's because we are genetically closer to the East Africans, even though we believe we are more closely related to the West Africans and we get some of our hair textures from them and from some Central and South Africans groups as well. But we don't know that fact.

In fact, I will have to say that ALOT of women from Central, South and East Africa have longer hair. Like they are 6 years old with braids in their hair and then when they are 12, all the girls are hanging around SL. :blush:

I agree with you. Oh, and your hair (in your siggy) is beautiful!

I think most AA people feel self conscious about their hair when they're in a environment where it looks like nothing around them and they know others may stare or ask questions like they're an animal in a exhibit b/c most people don't want that kind of attention. It happened to white people when the Indians first saw them, and now it happens in reverse with our hair because so few of us really wear it out in it's fluffy, kinky, curly, wiry glory. Which is not a problem -- wear your hair how you like. Think about the 70's -- everyone wore their BAA, black or otherwise and it wasn't strange or unusual to see and I doubt any of us would have been ashamed then. But now it's an issue b/c it's not something you see on the regular and you'll stick out. Our hair's natural exuberance is out of style. Most naturals today wear braids, twists or keep it short. I think most of the pressure is from the rest of the AA community vs other races -- every white person I've ever know thinks my natural hair is the coolest thing ever. Alot of them are envious to be honest with you. :grin: If every chick in hollywood was sportin' a BAA and every chick in KING and XXL had some big fat twists and dudes were drooling over that trust - the tides would begin to change once again. And for the record - I don't think relaxers = self hatred. I think it's just like dying your hair so long as you do it for you and in the right frame of mind.

I agree with this. But so many of us now work in places or go to school or just be in places where we can't wear our hair in all of it's natural glory! I'm talking BAA's, twists, knots; the works.

So because of that, the majority of us will still wear our hair in a chemical state. That makes a big difference. I mean natural hair is slowly being accepted, but only if the way we wear our natural hair is considered neat or "acceptable".

The Ethiopian woman who said this (AA with wavy/curly textures who are not mixed are closer to East Africans genetically) was likely very correct...

Yes, we all know that life originated in Africa. But most people dont realize the fact that the woman's who's remains laid the foundation to this claim was an EAST AFRICAN. And if you really sit and think about the variations in hair texture existing and why (through migration and evolution - and not through curses from God) it makes a lot of sense. As these original East Africans migrated SOUTH to Sub-Saharan, desert, and tropical climates the hair texture changed with what the environment called for (someone mentioned that our hair became curlier and closer to the head to protect the scalp - and this makes sense). The ones that migrated to the lands of the East (Middle East) someone mentioned the original people of this land having textures closer to 2B-3C (and it makes sense think about the changes that climate could have caused - and remember the Middle East isnt as close to the equator as some of the other areas such as the desert lands and tropics), and then out to the colder European and Asian lands where the hair became straighter likely for warmth purposes (we afterall originally didnt necessarily worry about parading around in clothes - we're born naked into this world).

One thing I learned from years of studying the body is that the body wants to and WILL ALWAYS adapt to the demands it's given whether it's environmental or physical.

I just wanted to point that out because it has been majorly discussed in this thread.

Back to the original topic: Our hair is only as difficult as we make it. To get your body in shape, you cant just sit on your butt and hope it will be ok, you have to WORK AT IT and NURTURE IT. Same with our hair, if it is in a healthy state washing it and caring for it is like taking yourself to the gym for maintenance. It isnt that hard. It's getting "out of shape" hair - DAMAGED HAIR - back into shape that's the biggest problem. My hair is the healthiest it's been, and I love it (relaxed and all - I even love my NG). And maintaining that healthy really isnt that hard at all.

Well, I am natural and I am 4a/b and my hair has grown rapidly. My hair grows like a weed on crack and I am 100% unmixed west African. The key is proper hair care. That is where most black women, natural and relaxed, go wrong.

This makes sense. Why would our bodies need to produce moisture for hair when we were getting it from the environment...

Lys

Well, I am natural and I am 4a/b and my hair has grown rapidly. My hair grows like a weed on crack and I am 100% unmixed west African. The key is proper hair care. That is where most black women, natural and relaxed, go wrong.

Re-read my post. I know our hair grows and my hair grows fast too.

However, my point was the reason why I think so many people still stay the same length is because their hair is breaking off faster than it is growing. Or it breaks off as soon as it grows.

And that there is a misconception that just because your hair is natural, that it automatically means that it's going to grow. The key is like you said and like I have been saying; proper hair care. And natural hair, IMO, is harder to care for. Simply because it's more delicate.

There is a difference between hair growth and growth retention. And I believe that some people still do not know this.

And just because your hair grows doesn't mean it's long either. All hair grows :yawn:

Re-read my post. I know our hair grows and my hair grows fast too.

However, my point was the reason why I think so many people still stay the same length is because their hair is breaking off faster than it is growing. Or it breaks off as soon as it grows.

And that there is a misconception that just because your hair is natural, that it automatically means that it's going to grow. The key is like you said and like I have been saying; proper hair care. And natural hair, IMO, is harder to care for. Simply because it's more delicate.

There is a difference between hair growth and growth retention. And I believe that some people still do not know this.

And just because your hair grows doesn't mean it's long either. All hair grows :yawn:

I have to disagree that natural hair is more delicate than processed hair - logically, that makes no sense, as most chemical processes REQUIRES you to destroy and rebuild the bonds in the hair, and anything broken down is going to be weaker than the orginal, as well as a little thinner, because some of the outer shell of the hair is lost.

I think that - if you treat natural hair as it is (Do what your hair wants you to do, as a poster with some GORGEOUS twists has in her siggy - I can't remember your name girl, but I drool over your hair!) and don't try to make it into something it's not - it's just as strong and you don't HAVE to baby it or treat it any more delicately that you have to treat processed hair.

But if you are trying to force your hair into a different mold - heck yeah, you're going to have retention issues - it's a natural side effect (pun sooo not intended! :lol: )

And I TOTALLY agree with you that a lot of people (a LOT) aren't aware of the huge difference between growth and retention. Growth is what your hair does, retention is what you have to do - and understanding the boundaries of your hair is a very important place to start.

And that there is a misconception that just because your hair is natural, that it automatically means that it's going to grow.
Um, your hair does automatically grow, however this is not because it is natural--it is because you are alive. Whether or not this growth is retained is the problem. As far as retention goes, you are right about the misconception but you are wrong about the reason. Natural hair does not automatically retain length because it cannot take care of itself. You have to take care of it, so length retention is thus not automatic and instead depends on your competence and ability.

The key is like you said and like I have been saying; proper hair care. And natural hair, IMO, is harder to care for. Simply because it's more delicate.
This doesn't make any sort of sense. How can hair that is virgin and undamaged by any chemicals be more delicate? As a natural-haired woman, I am telling you that natural hair is not harder to care for. Women are incompetent when it comes to hair care, especially natural hair care, and then want to blame the hair for being natural. What you do to your hair is what will determine its growth retention and health. So, if your hair is breaking and not retaining length, stop the excuses and look at your own hands for the reason. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
This is a very good question OP. To be honest, I dunno the answer, but I think it is true, that our hair takes much more "work" than other hair types to get the same results. They wash go, colour every two weeks and their hair is like MBL:look:. If i did that my hair would be the length of my eyebrows.:perplexed

Um, your hair does automatically grow, however this is not because it is natural--it is because you are alive. Whether or not this growth is retained is the problem. As far as retention goes, you are right about the misconception but you are wrong about the reason. Natural hair does not automatically retain length because it cannot take care of itself. You have to take care of it, so length retention is thus not automatic and instead depends on your competence and ability.

This doesn't make any sort of sense. How can hair that is virgin and undamaged by any chemicals be more delicate? As a natural-haired woman, I am telling you that natural hair is not harder to care for. Women are incompetent when it comes to hair care, especially natural hair care, and then want to blame the hair for being natural. What you do to your hair is what will determine its growth retention and health. So, if your hair is breaking and not retaining length, stop the excuses and look at your own hands for the reason. Plain and simple.

If you want to disagree, that's fine. However, please don't assume things like that my hair is not automatically growing or that I am making excuses or anything of that nature.

I know what to do with my natural hair. And I know how to care for it. However, I was really speaking from the point of view that alot of people have. We are saying the same thing.

I have always said in various posts, that one of the reasons why we don't retain alot of length is because of how we style our hair, whether it's natural or not.

I know what to do with my hair. And I'm not making excuses. However, since we are all in this boat together, it would just do my heart a little justice if your tone was a little bit softer toward me, thanks.

Originally posted by nappywoman
I have to disagree that natural hair is more delicate than processed hair - logically, that makes no sense, as most chemical processes REQUIRES you to destroy and rebuild the bonds in the hair, and anything broken down is going to be weaker than the orginal, as well as a little thinner, because some of the outer shell of the hair is lost.

Thank you NW! There is no freakin' way my natural MBL hair is more fragile and delicate than my hair was when it was relaxed with harsh chemicals, thinning and APL.

Thank you NW! There is no freakin' way my natural MBL hair is more fragile and delicate than my hair was when it was relaxed with harsh chemicals, thinning and APL.

You know what guys, that's why I said, "I Think". I never stated this as fact.

Relaxed hair may do more damage, but I still feel that Natural hair is still harder to care for.

Or in other words, natural hair is not as easy to care for as some people may think.

Is that better wording?

I look at it this way, our hair may require more care and pampering to stay healthy (as opposed to their anything goes hair) but our skin is naturally tanned- other folks have to spray it on, our lips are luscious- other folks have to inject and plump, and our backsides are bootylicious- no plastic surgery needed!

Shoot, 3 out of 4 ain't bad at all!:grin:

You know what guys, that's why I said, "I Think". I never stated this as fact.

Relaxed hair may do more damage, but I still feel that Natural hair is still harder to care for.

Or in other words, natural hair is not as easy to care for as some people may think.

Is that better wording?

:hug Not trying to jump all over you (seriously, tain't my style) but I still have to gently disagree. Natural hair is VERY easy to care for - if you accept the limitations of your hair, and don't try to turn it into something it's not and if you care for it CORRECTLY - and most people simply don't know what that IS.

Caring for natural hair and caring for chemically processed hair are two different things, with VERY different requirements - whether the natural hair is bone straight or kinky.

Back