Can you acheive/maintain length w/o protective styles

• Yes

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 54.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vtoodler

If you have 4B hair (the kinkiest), can you grow it to waist-lenght and maintain the length without wearing protective styles on a regular basis?

I would say "no" for most women. I would also say that I can tell which 4bs wear protective styles and which ones don't because the ones who don't protective style tend to have thin ends with a drastic V shape when they straighten their hair (Think of those who claim WL while most of their hair is something like APL with only a tuft at their nape reaching WL).

I'm honestly on the fence about this. I won't say its impossible but I rarely hear of WL 4b women who dnt protective style

Do you mean natural or relaxed? I doubt a 4b natural could do it...never heard of anyone. Relaxed I believe it's possible and I don't believe Sylver2 is the only one that could do it. I think the key is low manipulation.

All my white friends that have wl and beyond wear a bun:yep: the ones who I know they know about hair boards do it to retain their hair, the others do it to keep it up and out of the way.:yep:

Last edited:
I mean a woman with relaxed hair who wears protective styles about half the time.

Sylver2 very seldom wore PS to grow her hair out to WL. There are a few others but I can't remember their names. Once you keep your hair moisturised and you practise low manipulation, you will retain length.

I would say "no" for most women. I would also say that I can tell which 4bs wear protective styles and which ones don't because the ones who don't protective style tend to have thin ends with a drastic V shape when they straighten their hair (Think of those who claim WL while most of their hair is something like APL with only a tuft at their nape reaching WL).

i wouldn't say this is entirely true. i've seen people who don't protective style with thick, healthy ends, and i've seen people who wear a bun all day erryday with that same straggly V.
and it definitely doesn't just apply to people with the 4b hairtype.

to be honest, i don't know the answer to your question, OP but brittany on youtube appears to be on the way there YouTube - Fear Based Hair Care

i know her opinions are controversial, so hopefully this doesn't step on anyone's toes but she's making good progress despite the heat and lack of PSing

^^^ She makes some valid points because clearly there are some who retain length without PS but she lost credibility when she talked about her "heat trained" hair i.e. hair damaged by heat.

Last edited:
what you should really be asking, in my humble opinion is can you do it with the hair that is on your head. everyone's hair is different and what works well for some (like sylver2) will not work for another.

Last edited:
Ya'll are driving me crazy this thread!! I'm trying to be good and plan to protective style, and here ya'll go with all of your "no protective style needed" talk :brucelee:!! I need to get out of here. . . but I know I'm coming back :spinning:.

I'm no where near WL but I will say that every 4b person with really long hair that I've seen have been protective stylers.. careful detangling and protective styling is something I've noticed they all have in common. Plus I just think that once your hair gets to a certain length it seems like protective styling would be second nature becaue its so easy.....

I must say i'm in the fence with you with this one.. although a lot of 4b's with long hair ps.. I'd know there's "more than one way to skin a cat" and so I'd liek to believe that with proper care and maintenance one can still grow their hair long without always wearing protective styles... but will it take longer?idk....
I'm honestly on the fence about this. I won't say its impossible but I rarely hear of WL 4b women who dnt protective style

I don't ever protective style but it takes a lot to do what I do. It's easy for me now because ive been doin it so long now. Ive' noticed many just can't leave their hair alone. i don't care about tangles, naps etc as long as its inside and the outside looks smooth. U can never just run your fingers thru my hair..lol.
i tackle all that on wash days twce a month.
In 2004 i came to this board with overprocessed damaged breaking off hair. I was a get touch up every 4 WEEKS if u can believe that :lol: i was not cutting it all off yet again and i was not hiding it(might as well cut it off imo)
It was a do or die decision for me with my hair.
very low to no manipulation(no combing) stretching, minimal heat, and lots of leave ins(my moisture) are my keys.

i wouldn't say this is entirely true. i've seen people who don't protective style with thick, healthy ends, and i've seen people who wear a bun all day erryday with that same straggly V.
and it definitely doesn't just apply to people with the 4b hairtype.

ITA. Also, not all 4Bs straighten their hair. Moreover, we have a ton of shrinkage (ends won't be rubbing collar/shirt) so I doubt there will be concerns about thin ends unless one's ends are dry or they don't trim their hair.

I'm no where near WL but I will say that every 4b person with really long hair that I've seen have been protective stylers.. careful detangling and protective styling is something I've noticed they all have in common. Plus I just think that once your hair gets to a certain length it seems like protective styling would be second nature becaue its so easy.....
def not true - my dd is a few inches off of wl - i never protective styled her - like sylver i feel whats the sense in having hair you cant wear and enjoy. i do tell her to cover it at night, but 1/2 time she forgets and she does not sleep on a silk pillow case..... now let me try that one, it wont work. she just has very strong 4b hair that takes extreme abuse to break.

Do you feel that your dd is an example of the typical 4b?
def not true - my dd is a few inches off of wl - i never protective styled her - like sylver i feel whats the sense in having hair you cant wear and enjoy. i do tell her to cover it at night, but 1/2 time she forgets and she does not sleep on a silk pillow case..... now let me try that one, it wont work. she just has very strong 4b hair that takes extreme abuse to break.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I think overall it just depends, one just may have "Super Hair" that can withstand almost anything that most peoples' hair would not be abled to take. I think that it may slows the progess for some, if they did not ps sometimes or at least every now and then. Protective styling is not for everyone, but it sure has helped me retain my growth and actually see my progress. :)

^^^ She makes some valid points because clearly there are some who retain length without PS but she lost credibility when she talked about her "heat trained" hair i.e. hair damaged by heat.

Note that I have no clue how I feel about heat training but what you said confused me and sparked some general questions? You're saying that she lost credibility regarding length retention because she's heat trained? You don't find the fact the she is in fact retaining length empirical proof that her routine might be working for her hair and thus might work for another woman's hair as well?

Do you also feel that a woman whose hair has been "damaged" by a relaxer lacks credibility when talking about length retention even if she has longer, healthy looking hair?

At the end of the day are we (lhcf) really more focused on a purist definition of healthy hair or are we more more interested in hair that retains length, and looks and feels healthy?

This debate of relaxed v. heat trained v. colored v. unmanipulated hair has been going on here for so long, with plenty of proof for and against. Every woman on here is capable of determining what is best for her hair if she employs common sense and moderation. People in "every" thread proclaiming heat trained=heat damage is as counter productive as someone in every relaxed hair thread proclaiming relaxers=chemical damage. As we can see some people have very nice so called heat damaged/ chemically damaged hair versus those who jack their hair up using the same methods. A more useful angle would be to find out what makes one woman successful while the other is left unhappy?

Just my opinion! Sorry if my opinion has been stated recently! HHG!

I think every head of hair is different and some people have to PS to get to WL while some don't have to. If you can find a healthy balance of what works for your hair, then you can pretty much achieve whatever you put your mind to.

I don't discount anybody's opinion, I do what's best for me.

I don't ever protective style but it takes a lot to do what I do. It's easy for me now because ive been doin it so long now. Ive' noticed many just can't leave their hair alone. i don't care about tangles, naps etc as long as its inside and the outside looks smooth. U can never just run your fingers thru my hair..lol.
i tackle all that on wash days twce a month.
In 2004 i came to this board with overprocessed damaged breaking off hair. I was a get touch up every 4 WEEKS if u can believe that :lol: i was not cutting it all off yet again and i was not hiding it(might as well cut it off imo)
It was a do or die decision for me with my hair.
very low to no manipulation(no combing) stretching, minimal heat, and lots of leave ins(my moisture) are my keys.
When you detangle, don't the naps and tangles make you lose hair?

When you detangle, don't the naps and tangles make you lose hair?

no, because i detangle in shower under running water with lots and lots of conditioner, piece by piece by piece, no matter how long it takes. then more detangling aftrwards with my leave ins which helps a lot. the only hair loss is my shedded hair from not combing. no breakage.

@ isobell I can understand why what I said might have confused you because I deliberately chose not to expand on the comment I made for a reason.

What I will say, in short, is that just as this thread has shown, there is no one path to retaining length so when you find a method that you believe works for you to help you retain length or achieve whatever other hair goal you want to achieve, then by all means run with it. That goes for whether you are relaxed or natural.

I am 4b kinky natural and I am growing without protective styles. From what I have noticed, but may not be factual, is the process is taking longer. I bc in March and I am touching shoulder length so I know I could have probably been longer had I braided my hair often. Hope you find your answer!

I am a relaxed 4a/b and I am almost there and I do not PS at all. Just moisturize and seal daily, DC everytime I wash, and stretch my relaxers. I try to do 6 months, which is easier to do in the colder months for me.

Back