Votes: 330 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 57 10.9%
  • What is a protective style?

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • Sometimes...

Votes: 123 23.6%

• Total voters
Yes ... I wear my hair up about 95% of the time because my thick, curly new growth + my thin, relaxed ends = a hot mess. Therefore, wearing my hair down is not an option unless I get it straightened. That's where the other 5% comes in: I get it flat ironed once a month and wear it down for 3 to 4 days. After that, I wash it and up it goes.

I've worn my hair twisted since Nov.08. I co-wash and retwist them individually. I'll be doing this until at least the end of Jan. Kinda miss my afro.

I do wear protective styles. I wear mostly weaves and wigs. Braids tend to break my edges so I stopped using this method. I like wearing my hair cornrowed under my wigs and that helps further to protect my hair.

I gatta tell ya though, I'm ready to show off my hair but I've committed to a few challenges this year that involves quite a bit of protective styling. Oh well:ohwell:, I guess I will continue them for the next 11 and a half months:grin:.

I love protective styles - I don't like the feeling of hair on the back of my neck. I'm hoping to do almost exclusively protective styles until my hair is about APL unstretched so I can style it upwards..

Yes. But not on a regular basis. I'm going to change that, though. When I detangled my hair today, I put in 6 big twists, and it looks really cute. This is my new protective style. I need to invest in lots of scarves and headbands.

I alternate between twists and a puff. I choose sometimes because on wash day I sometimes wear my hair loose and wild.:grin: To me I find a puff protective because I am not manipulating the hair all week. I wear twist because I like the way they look.

I try I really do try but i can't make my protective style slook kute other than rollersetting and I don't consider that i true protective style because yoru ends are still down and rub against your clothes. When I wear buns or wear my hair all back...people want to ask me why do I have my hair bunned up, or they tell me that it doesn't look nice this way. because of that, I hardly ever wear protective styles other than rollersets :(

I just don't know how to make them kute with shoulder length hair

I voted no.

I rollerset my hair 99% of the time and only get it flat ironed when I relax (currently every 14 weeks) or when I TU my highlights (every 3 - 4 months). My daily style is to loosely pin up my curls. Once the NG starts coming in, I moisturize it to death and slick it down with a satiny scarf. Still pin up the curls, but I don't tuck them under. I found that buns and french rolls caused my ends to bend all crazy and I wasn't really satisfied with the results. Still, the style is semi-protective because my ends are not rubbing against my clothes. :yep:

i guess i need to be more committed to wearing protective styles. i tend to like to wear my hair out (especially since i got a fresh relaxer this past thursday). but i just need to buckle down and do this to retain my length. I can wear it down more when i get to the length i want.

Thanks girl! I'm still wearing protective styles. Its boring but whenever I do wear my hair out it always feels like a treat. I was so proud when I got my touch up this past friday and my hair stylist said "no trim needed, your ends look fine to me" !

Are these people that you trust that are critical of your hairstyles? do you have a pic of your protective style? maybe we can give you some suggestions.

don't let people's criticism keep you from doing what it takes to make your hair care goals.

I try I really do try but i can't make my protective style slook kute other than rollersetting and I don't consider that i true protective style because yoru ends are still down and rub against your clothes. When I wear buns or wear my hair all back...people want to ask me why do I have my hair bunned up, or they tell me that it doesn't look nice this way. because of that, I hardly ever wear protective styles other than rollersets :(

How many of you ladies do protective styles, how often

Daily now that I have been enlightened.

and what's your goal/reason in doing them?

The proof that it works for hair end protection.

I was inspired by SimplyCee and Babygurl's progress to jump on the bandwagon. S

I am being inspired by all the success stories I am reading here and elsewhwere (Cathy Howse, Wanakee, and so on).

I have been wearing them as of late because it has been so darn hot down here and the humidity is murder on my hair.:ohwell:

I'm wearing protective styles until the end of the winter, which will be March 2009.

I usually wear them daily, at the least, 5 days out of the week.

When I do touch-ups, I'll usually wear my hair down for a few days.

This summer, there will be 2 more instances where I get my hair done and wear it out, other than that I'm protective or lo-mani styling.

when i was transitioning i didnt till i discovered LHCF (duh, didnt know what it was)

then i went from no/low-heat styles like bantu knots and braidouts to bunning all the time

and when i BC'd i just wore it like that...no ends rubbing against my clothes.

now i am in kinky twists that are about to come out cause this megatek is killing me.

girl get you a phony bun or make a sock bun like i did. always cute. matter of fact i think updos, like donut or messy buns, or even pinning it up with bobby pins or sticks are always cute. i'm cosigning on the pic thing, we wanna see.

I didn't during the summer but I started wearing my bun again a couple of days ago. I usually wear a bun during the fall/winter months, wearing the bun got me from chin length past APL. I'm working on reaching a healthy full BSL then MBL. Wearing a bun really work for me, sometimes I get bored with it, then I'll wear my hair down or a braidout but for the most part I luv the results.

If weekly curly rollersets and nightly pincurling are protective then yes! I never allow my hair to rub against my clothing except for a few times when I flatiron the entire length of my hair instead of just my roots (which I do weekly w/my rollersets). now that I learned that being SL and wearing hair down daily can cause major breakage, I never feel comfortable wearing my hair straight down more than one day. But I can't do buns because I feel that my hair isn't long enough to do a bun without causing some kind of stress on my hair.

Back