Votes: 330 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 57 10.9%
  • What is a protective style?

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • Sometimes...

Votes: 123 23.6%

• Total voters
I voted yes. I wear protective styles (mainly twists) all the time and I think they have been essential for my growth retention.

Sometimes.

I have been doing protective styles more often these days.

But I love to wear my hair down too.

Itry to alternate, one week co wash and ponys braid outs next week flat iron.

Sometimes I protective style for 3 weeks out the month. Depends on how Im feeling about myself.

Co washes have definitely helped!

Yeah, I wear "The bun" because I don't have a lot of time I've come to realize. I've got kids, and they have activities...plus I have a career. It's just how it is I guess. But I have been wearing my hair out more often than in the past.

Voted yes, I pretty much wear a bun almost always except when I get a touch-up b/c I like to wear it down then, but other than that I always keep my hair in a protective style.. atleast til I get to BSL or MBL......

Every single day w/ the exception being wash days. I will let my hair down on that day only and sometimes for only half a day then...lol. The protective styling is really helping to keep my ends healthy. I'm a believer!

What protective styles are SL ladies wearing. I swear I have been hearing snap snap against the back of my collar all day.

Possibly, 98% of the time I wear a protective style. It has gotten me thus far, and I don't plan on turning my back on something that has granted me one of my heart's most desires...Healthy Hair.

Yep, trying to reach a goal in two years, so for the next two years I will be wearing more protective styles than anything else.

I use my 1/2 wig faithfully everyday with my baggy well hidden :grin:. I'm seeing great results and won't stop until.... whenever!!!!!

I dont do protective styles even though I'd like to because I just dont look right in buns and I look really bad in braids.

I'll be doing protective styles everyday until I reach MBL in April 08. That my target date. Mostly loose braiding. Protective styling has really worked for me so far :yep: so if it ain't broke...

me too. My hair seems to do great in a bun for a while then all of a sudden I will take it out and there's lots of shedding which lets me know I have breakage. It's usually in the spot in the back where the bun is positioned. Anybody else get this?

Are you using ponytail holders? This may be the culprit if so. I just braid my bun to avoid any breakage. I've heard other people saying they use panty hose to make ponytail holders to eliminate breakage.

Yes all the time! beacuse I'm doing the no manipulation thing right now. I hope this will finally get me over the shoulder length hump. Also b/c its sooo convenient!!:yep:

I wear my hair in a claw clip like in my avatar.

I dont do it just because I'm scurrrreeeedddd of the ponytail holder:perplexed

i used one for a long time and it broke off so much of my hair. since i've stopped my hair has grown.

but I do want to try baggying. How do you ladies baggy without damage from the band? (and i was using one of those "ouchless" bands without metal)

I dont do it just because I'm scurrrreeeedddd of the ponytail holder:perplexed

i used one for a long time and it broke off so much of my hair. since i've stopped my hair has grown.

but I do want to try baggying. How do you ladies baggy without damage from the band? (and i was using one of those "ouchless" bands without metal)

I was bunning all summer long for the past two summers (I usually don't relax because I'm always somewhere new doing research and it's easier to stretch and bun than to find a reliable hairdresser). I saw breakage where the band was, but growth overall. When I got my touchup, the stylist told me to try using a clip instead of a ponytail holder because it will minimize breakage in the ponytail area and is easier on your edges.

So i bought a clip kind of like the one Macheriamour uses in her "Quick Messy Updo" tutorial on her website and I use that now. I love it, and it's quicker than the bun.

I was bunning all summer long for the past two summers (I usually don't relax because I'm always somewhere new doing research and it's easier to stretch and bun than to find a reliable hairdresser). I saw breakage where the band was, but growth overall. When I got my touchup, the stylist told me to try using a clip instead of a ponytail holder because it will minimize breakage in the ponytail area and is easier on your edges.

So i bought a clip kind of like the one Macheriamour uses in her "Quick Messy Updo" tutorial on her website and I use that now. I love it, and it's quicker than the bun.

oh wow
do you baggy? how do you baggy with a clip ?
(sorry so many questions I have i know i know)

but- you're appreciated!!

I wear them usually5-6 days out of the week. Low Manipulation, plain and simple. I plan to only wear my hair down while inside on a special occasion this fall and winter. I am excited to see the difference in my hair, since I have worn it down in the terrible DC/midwest fall and winters. From here on out it will be covered and/or up.

I dont because most dont suit me even though I'm curious about wearing wigs and just baggying my hair underneath so I couldnt be bothered with it.
Really, my hair is growing just fine from me wearing it out all the time though my ends would most likely benefit from being protected.

i voted yes. I wear a bun 98% of the time, i only really wear my hair out on special occasions or when i get my touch ups (every 12weeks). Maybe three days after my touch up, then it's wash day. I contribute most of my hair growth to it.

I normally wear my hair down everyday, but since I had to break out the wool coats and scarfs I have been clipping the back up. I leave the sides and front out and just have the section that rubs against my coat up.

I saw a lady at the airport that had nice looking hair except a portion of the back section. At the same time I saw the back collar of her coat just rubbing all against that same area! :nono: I wanted to tap her on the shoulder so badly and offer her a claw clip to use. :yep:
Anyway, that prompted me to at least put that section up while I am wearing coats and scarfs.

I wear buns 95% of the time. I didn't know until I found you guys that it was a good thing.

Honestly, I only wore them b/c I was to lazy to style it. Now I can say I'm protecting my ends.:drunk:

Yes- I really want to get as much growth in this next year so for the most part I will continue twisting and bunning my twists. I am gonna try using bobby pins to secure and see if that works better than my band. I really don't like hair in my face (breakouts) and I also want to rule out anything that might limit my growth.

I wear protective styles nearly all of the time except for special occasions, because now that I've reached SL I'm really trying to protect the ends in hopes of getting to APL.

About 98% of the time, my hair is up and off my shoulders. I did this out of sheer laziness in the beginning, but now it's something that is fast and easy. I modify how I wear my hair by adding different accessories to jazz it up. My updos are always sessy, never plain. I've gained so much growth over the years.

Back