~~~waist Length Dreams~~~ Challenge 2018

I re-read The Science of Black Hair and that led me to start protective styling during the week.
Currently I'm using two strand twists and on the weekend I wear my hair out.
I moisturize and seal the twists nightly
Wash on Sundays (then DC or Protein treatment depending on how my hair feels)
I re-do the twists on Mondays
Hoping this regimen lasts me for at least 3 months :look:

CoWash Saturday:
  • Pre-poo’d overnight with AVJ mix & Belle Butter’s Orange Dream Cream on the ends.
  • DC’d with Shea Moisture Manuka & Noni.
  • Used CJ Naturals scalp scrub, CW’d with Avon’s Volume, Garnier Reconstructor with 80% rinse out of Motions Moisture Plus & ACV.
  • LCOB’d: L = Carol’s Daughter Monoi; C = Blue Roze Okra Curling Cream & Obia Curling Custard; O = Mission Condition Glaze; B = Kyra Shea’s Rejuvenation on scalp & HQ Twisting on ends.
I put 2 flat twists in the front and 5 two-strand twists for the rest of my hair.

I did a henna gloss yesterday. Cowashed that out a few times. Moisturize and seal, added little gel on top for a braid out.
Today my four braids are still in, will take out midweek for braid out.

I hope by May I see some growth. I been caring for my hair weekly with wash and dc's, followed up with moisturize and seal.

My protective style of choice is roller sets, and buns.
I could do better with moisturizing throughout the week.
We shall see...

I was so tired yesterday so when I did my olive oil pre poo treatment, I ended up falling asleep on the couch and then in bed for the night, so it ended up being an overnight pre poo. I think I like the effects of it! It usually is an hour long process not overnight.
:abducted:

It didn't get on my pillow or anything because it was too absorbed into my hair by then, but I could start doing it on Saturday night so it's an overnight thing. I always look forward to my treatments because they make my hair so much thicker looking and stronger. I wish I could do them more than once a week, but this is ok. I'm glad I stumbled across it. I know for sure it's helping with length retention. I think it has some repairing qualities as well.

• Used Avon Volume under the heat cap for about 45 minutes & CW'd it out.
  • Rinsed out 80% of Motions Moisture Plus.
  • LSOB'd: L = Carol's Daughter Monoi; S = Obia Curling Custard; O = Mission Condition Glaze; B = Kyra Shea's Rejuvenation on scalp & Belle Butter's Orange Dream Cream on ends.

@trclemons :thankyou: It did and I'm trucking along!!

This is how I'm wearing my hair right now since I cannot deal with it (I can't be on my feet for 6 weeks). My friend comes over and re-braids for me every week and a half. She's trying to figure out how she can wash my hair and deep condition it for me but I'm looking at her like :badidea:, I know that you have a license (cosmetology and such) but :catfight: I don't trust you with my hair :nono:...But, "I do love you and I appreciate everything that you have done for me..." I just can't!!!:nono::nono::nono:

OAN: I'm in my mid-30s and do you see ALL the grey????? This is why I color/dye ladies!!! I'm dying over here!!! :angry2::angry2:

This is how I'm wearing my hair right now since I cannot deal with it (I can't be on my feet for 6 weeks). My friend comes over and re-braids for me every week and a half. She's trying to figure out how she can wash my hair and deep condition it for me but I'm looking at her like :badidea:, I know that you have a license (cosmetology and such) but :catfight: I don't trust you with my hair :nono:...But, "I do love you and I appreciate everything that you have done for me..." I just can't!!!:nono::nono::nono:

OAN: I'm in my mid-30s and do you see ALL the grey????? This is why I color/dye ladies!!! I'm dying over here!!! :angry2::angry2:

@Janet', cute style pretty lady!!!! Your friend is awesome for coming over and re-braiding but I feel you on the washing. My BFF is a stylist and most of the time I wash and detangle before I let her do anything to my hair as well. I've learned the hard way from too many years of not speaking up and having bad stylist experiences that no one will treat your hair as well as you do!!!! I pray your recovery is going well!

@Daina Thank you!!! Yes, she is and I don't want you to feel like I don't appreciate her...BUT...I will not let anyone thwart my HHJ. Recovery is slow but I'm thankful that I'm doing well...

I re-read The Science of Black Hair and that led me to start protective styling during the week.
Currently I'm using two strand twists and on the weekend I wear my hair out.
I moisturize and seal the twists nightly
Wash on Sundays (then DC or Protein treatment depending on how my hair feels)
I re-do the twists on Mondays
Hoping this regimen lasts me for at least 3 months :look:

I think I may need to buy this book. Thanks for sharing @ResultsMayVary. I regularly protective style already but it doesn't hurt to know more.

Shampoo Saturday
  • Pre-poo'd overnight with AVJ mix & HH Knot Going Bananas.
  • DC'd for over an hour with SM Noni.
  • Shampoo'd with Coco Curls, CW'd length with HQ Strawberry, Used Garnier Reconstructor, & rinsed out 80% ACV & Motions Moisture Plus.
  • LCS'd with L = CD Monoi; C = Obia Curling Custard; S = Olive Oil Eco Styler Gel.
Before bed, I will break the cast with Avon's Argan Oil & band to stretch this WNG for tomorrow.

I love it! You look adorable! Even the grey looks cute don't stress sweetie. I just let my greys come in. #heckwitit# lol

If I have any energy after an hour of cardio I will moisturize my ends and redo my celies. I'm not washing my hair until Wednesday.

I'm going to start the process of straightening my hair tomorrow. I was supposed to detangle today but I didn't feel like it. I'll detangle, wash and blow dry tomorrow, then flat iron on Wednesday. As I mentioned before, I've been neglecting my hair, so I have SSKs galore. Hopefully my ends are still in pretty good shape despite the neglect.

Added HQ Strawberry under heat cap for a little over 30 minutes & CW'd it out. Rinsed out 80% of Motions Moisture Plus. LSO'd with Jakeala Pineapple, Obia Curling Cream & Avon's Argan Oil.

I'm going to start the process of straightening my hair tomorrow. I was supposed to detangle today but I didn't feel like it. I'll detangle, wash and blow dry tomorrow, then flat iron on Wednesday. As I mentioned before, I've been neglecting my hair, so I have SSKs galore. Hopefully my ends are still in pretty good shape despite the neglect.
So I'm only detangling today...I've had to finger detangle very small sections since I haven't thoroughly detangled in a while. I'll wash/blow dry/flat iron tomorrow. Hopefully it won't take long.

...I need a better blow drying method. I still use my comb attachment

Last edited:
Here is my length update. I took the pics at the end of April but I'm just now getting around to uploading them. I am an inch from apl after a trim I just did before I took the pics. Right now I am trying to not manipulate my hair too much because I think I may have caused a lil breakage.

• Pre-poo'd overnight with AVJ mix.
  • DC'd with Vatika Garlic under a heat cap for 1.5 hours.
  • Scrubbed scalp with CJ Naturals, CW'd with HQ Strawberry, Reconstructed with Garnier, & rinsed out 80% of Motions Moisture Plus.
  • LCB'd with L = Jakeala Pineapple, C = Obia & Mop Top Curling Cream, & B = HQ White Tea & Lemon Twisting.

I used real shampoo today instead of baking soda and water. I like how my scalp feels so clean. I may need to do this from time to time.

Waist length really feels like a dream. I have so much texlaxed hair I need to cut off. I'm never going to get there. Sigh...

• Pre-poo'd twists with HE The Sleeker The Butter under the heat cap for a little over 30 minutes & CW'd it out.
  • Rinsed out 80% of Motions Moisture Plus & Tresemme Moisture Rich.
  • LCO'd with L = Jakeala Pineapple; C = Coco Curls; O = Keravada Alter Ego on scalp & Avon Argan on length.

I'm getting crochet braids on the 19th. I plan on keeping my hair in protective styles at least through early September, I have a lot going on, and I hear Houston humidity is a beast during the summer. I'd love to get box braids, but I can't fathom taking hours/days to take them out and then comb out the build up. Maybe I'll look into take down services at salons.

• Prepoo'd overnight with AVJ and a mix of HH Knot Going Bananas & Sunny Isle Coconut Oil.
  • DC'd with Vatika Garlic for a little over an hour under a heat cap.
  • Shampoo'd with TJ Tea Tree Tingle, CW'd with HE The Sleeker The Butter, Reconstructed with Garnier & an 80% rinse out of ACV & Tressemme Moisture Rich.
  • LCOB'd with L = LRC Shake n Go, C = Coco Curls, O = Keravada Alter Ego on scalp & Buttercream Wedding on length, B = HQ Twisting.

Last edited:
Good Morning Ladies,
Yet, another semester is under my belt. I am clueless as to what to do with my hair right now. Part of me wants to just wig it up for the summer and the other part wants to do something else. I start school, just one class, on Tuesday and I feel great about that. I will be checking in now, since I have time.

Back