Waist Length 2012 Challenge

Thanks Dlisha. I may have to give it another try when I know I am going to be bunning for a week. I'll use a bag vs a cap next time and see how I like it.

Any big plans for the weekend ladies??? Only a few more weeks until length check :D :D :D

can you tell I'm excited???:lachen:

I plan to pamper myself at somepoint this weekend, hair and nails. I need some ME time after this move. I am super excited about the length check. I am trying to decide on a flat iron so that I can get my hair very straight for the length check and to trim it.

Any big plans for the weekend ladies??? Only a few more weeks until length check :D :D :D

My Uncle is getting married. I'm probably going to take a wig. I'm contemplating what I'm going to do with my hair this winter. I'd like to do cornrows and wigs, but I need to learn how to cornrow.

NikkiQ ~ I have been moving for the last 2 weeks. My grandson needed more space. :lachen: Thanks for thinking of me!

ladySarai ~ There are some good videos on you tube and the rest is practice. Have fun at the weeding.

When is length check?? Is this a group thing or are u talking about urself individually? I dont wanna be left behind!! :grin:

OK LADIES! I have OFFICIALLY decided to texlax my hair!! I LOVE my natural hair, but the longer it gets, the more difficult it is for me to do basic things. I just dont have the time for it right now. So I figure Texlaxing will give me a happy medium (I still want a little bit of the kink) Im SCUUURRREEED, but now that Ive spent so much time on the boards, I feel like maybe the damage I experienced with my relaxers was due to not taking care of it....................AT ALL:ohwell:. I was DEFINITELY a; wash my hair once a month, "moisturize" with grease (every blue moon), NEVER PROTECT, and Deep Condition WHO???........... Kinda gal. :rolleyes: Oh how we learn. *Kanye Shrug* Hopefully it'll be different this time around. WSL 2012 (Dec 31st:lachen:) HERE I COME!!

OH YEA, and Im in an Ayurvedic Challenge so we'll see how that goes. I hope you ladies are doing ok in your hair journeys!!

Hi Sunbubbles, I think Nikki means that December is getting close :D :D.
I hope everyone is doing well. Keep growing ladies!!!!

^^^That's exactly what I meant. Progress pics are are gonna go up in December and I can't wait to see how well everyone is doing :yep:

Hey guys. I know I didn't officially join this challenge. Before I was hoping to make it to WL by 2011 and MBL this year. But for some reason, my hair had other plans. I had a breakage and a bunch of single strand knots, so I decided that instead of hanging on to gross ends, I should get a good trim. I am now about APL so I hope to be MBL by 2011 and WL by 2012.

Here are the pics of what I was working with before (almost BSL but stringy and unhealthy ends) and now APL. My finger is in the same spot in both pics and it represents BSL.

Now, I'm trying to figure out if I will continue to do my wash and go s and risk more single strand knots or if I should wear my hair straight and risk heat damage. :ohwell:

I don't know what to do but I'm determined to maintain healthy hair and grow it to my goal.

I am 4a (some 3c) natural with fine hair and medium to low density.

Any advice would be appreciated and I hope I can join this challenge!

Attachments

• IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Bigmommah, no I have never used Aphoghee, but alternating them sounds like a safe be to avoid that pesky protein overload. I think henna is all the protein my hair can handle. And believe me, you, the grays are there! Concentrated in the front, on the right side (think Lillian Munster) It will be cool when I'm 50, but not now...That's why I am a henna fiend :lachen: Ooh and congrats on surviving your move (never fun). Hope you like your new digs...

sunbubbles, good luck with the telax!

princessnad, oh those ssk! I just had to go through my hair and cut a few loose :lol: Have you tried twist out/twist and curl/braid outs? If you have fine hair, I'd be weary of the heat and wash n' go's can be trouble as you known, so I think this could be a good alternative for you- it helps to stretch the hair out...then you can bun which ever "out" you choose to use for added protection. I love wash n' go's but I had to put the kabosh on them (for a while, anyway). I wash, put my hair in one big twist, clip it up and let dry. When dry, I usually bun with spin pins and call it a day. I don't know, maybe that will help. Let us know!

NikkiQ, I'm excited for length checks, too! I can't wait to see everyones progress :yep:

I'm really liking this braid and wig combo I got going on right now. My hair seems to be doing well and I'm not tempted to flat iron at all! Normally I get that itch and say "oh screw it! i'm taking these suckers out NOW!!!!" just so I can flat iron it. Sad huh? :lol:

Naturallista ~ Which brand of henna do you use? My first time batch was mixed up by a wonderful Indian woman who lives too far away now for me to get more from, so I'll have to mix my own. I actually really enjoy my digs, or I will when I finally have everything where I want it and clean. :grin:

sunbubbles ~ I love being texlaxed and even though I gave serious thought to transitioning I will probably continue with texlaxing. I hope that your hair turns out exactly like you want it to.

princessnad ~ I normally rollerset on Sat and then put my hair in a ps until I wash again on Wednesday. I'm learning to braid and 2 strand flat twist my hair so the possibilities are endless.

NikkiQ ~ Your enthusiasm is contagious. I seriously want to texlax in December but I am going to do my best to hold on until Jan 1st. I'll just be the last to post my progess but I'll be in this thread like a hawk ready to ooh and ahhh for the rest of the group.

***HUGS***

Glad to be here and thanks for welcoming me.

I have all natural hair. I haven't had a relaxer in almost 7 years. My hairdresser/ very good friend believes that this system of growing my hair will never work. She says I have to get my hair trimmed every 4-6 weeks. I normally keep my hair cut in layers but in the last two months I decided to let it grow. My bang has grown to my chin but the back just wasn't getting longer. Her answer for this dilema was that everyones hair growth has a stopping point.

Ok so I'm confused. Thats the reason I went searching for a real answer. I found a book by Cathy Howse and this site. I see so many women that are growing their hair long and I know it is possible for me too.

I took this info into my appointment and shared it with her. She told me that if I wash my hair that much I will lose all the moisture. This has been my friend and hairdresser since i was 14. What should i say to her? Or should I just stop going to get service?

Last edited:
My starting pic is in my siggy.

Oh I forgot my Regimen.

I wash my hair every 2-3 weeks. On wash day I:

Detangle with Hairveda Moist 24/7 Conditioner and put my hair in 10 twists
Shampoo with a non-sls cleanser
Do a Protein Treatment (I am colored natural and use heat)
DC my hair
Use a leave in

Then either

A. Twist my hair- wear it in twists for 7 days and then a twistout/bun for 7 days

or

B. Rollerset and flat iron my hair- wear it straight/in a bun, and then braidout everyday

tricie checking in!

Thanks, bigmommah and Naturlista! Ya'll have encouraged me to take the plunge and be in the challenge! :)

My starting pic is the same as the one posted before:

Length check 10.3.10.jpg

My regimen is:

-while out of braids, wet bunning w/phony pony, twistouts, or flexi-rod sets
-co-washing and dc'ing in between these styles
-microbraids (done carefully and not tight) for 2 1/2 to 3 months, then removed and rest for about a month or so
-staple products: Cantu shea butter leave-in, henna, oils (EVOO, EVCO, JBCO, jojoba, shea), and a host of other products but, because I'm a big pj, there are too many to name here! :lachen:

I'm praying that I make it to APL by the end of the year so that it will be my starting point for next year. Best of luck to everyone on our journey to waist length...woo hoo!

Hello Beautiful Ladies!

I'm glad that we have new people joining us and that this is a "safe" thread and challenge to be a part of. I ventured out into a few of the other threads and forums and it made me appreciate the support, encouragement and politeness found here even more.

I am currently just pulling my hair back into a pony tail with a hair zing type thing and tucking the ends under. Time and energy are at a premium right now. I am still co-washing, moisturizing and sealing just not working on creating my updo's like I was. After this weekend things should be back to normal as the move is over and the painter is finished so now it's just finishing putting everything away and hosting my brother-in-law's graduation dinner on Sat.

I was going to try and henna my hair this weekend but there isn't time for it so I'll hold off until the first weekend of November which puts me at needing more protein right before my texlax in January.

Lastly I have to say that I am pretty excited at the fact I will 12 weeks post on Sunday and other than those few days of "wha haapen" my hair has remained fairly manageable.

All the best to you!

Hi Everyone!! I finally got around to taking my starter pics.
drtondalia-albums-my-hair-journey-picture97279-neck-length-10-13-10.jpg

drtondalia-albums-my-hair-journey-picture97277-front-chin-length-10-13-10.jpg

oh, we have newbies!
:hiya: newbies, welcome to the Waistlength 2012 fam.

@Bigmommah, girl just reading your posts made me alil out of breath lol. I'm glad the move is going smoothly for ya thus far :yep:.

@Charz, I agree with NikkiQ, your haircolor is the biznezz :yep:

Checking in:
So I am currently 5 weeks post, this past monday (wow time flies! I still feels like I JUST relaxed a few days ago :ohwell:). Since i've discovered the baggie method, this stretch has been much easier than the last :).

HHG Ladies!

Last edited:
D.Lisha ~ You are too funny. I get to catch my breath starting this Sunday. I don't have anything else major coming up until the holidays so other than decorating and crafting a few things I'm good. My grandson's first birthday party has been planned since he was a month old so all we need are the folks to show up.

Yes, yes I do have a bit of OCD and no, I'm not ashamed to admit it. =P

Back