Waist Length 2012 Challenge

I saw that they are at Ross for $9.99. I thought about getting one but I'm not sure that it is a good investment for me.

I haven't gone to get mine yet. been too busy to go. hopefully I'll get over there tomorrow. maybe use it after I take this install out.

Hello ladies! I still have my senegalese twist in... I plan to take them out in October. I'm thinking about cornrolls next or flat twist...

Hiya Loulou!

I need to update my progress strip tonight although I'm getting just the teensiest bit discouraged with the "bigness" of my hair when I rollerset. I don't want tight curls so I use large diameter rollers but my hair is just so dang big when I take them out. I know that part of it has to do with my ng/underprocessed roots but it's getting to be a pita. I don't use the rollersets for styling so much as I use it to stretch the ng a bit so that I can style it easier.

I want to do a length check as well but I am trying to avoid flat ironing my hair until I relax in Jan. I think I may just skip the rollerset and go straight to bantu'ing on wash day.

On a happier note, the chelating shampoo seems to have worked. My hair feels good and although it was big it was soft and accepted the moisture easily.

Checking in :)

My hair is getting on my nerves it's been breaking so I moisturize it and co-wash, but when I run my fingers through my damp hair lots of it comes out as if it's not strong enough...I'm not sure what to do:nono:

Checking in :)

My hair is getting on my nerves it's been breaking so I moisturize it and co-wash, but when I run my fingers through my damp hair lots of it comes out as if it's not strong enough...I'm not sure what to do:nono:

This happened to me as well... However, I just started using Optimum Anti-Hair Breakage for the last week, my breakage has stopped. Its just normal breakage now, and when my hair is wet and run my hand through it, its still fine.... I left the conditioner in for 20/25mins under a hood dryer, and then used it again two days later and left it in 15/20mins under a plastic cap.... and my hair is doing good! I know the bottle says it helps with over 90% of breakage, and I used the relaxers and it helps my hair.

Checking in:
Just got my hair relaxed on Monday, and today I am wearing down
Ladies....I feel like a new woman! :yep:
I haven't been hard on the M&S for the past two days, as to not weigh my hair down too much, however, I did put alil Care Free Curl on the ends last night, along with some JBCO to seal it in.
After this weekend is over i'm going back to babying my hair hardcore (M&S religiously && bunning 99%) of the time :yep:

This happened to me as well... However, I just started using Optimum Anti-Hair Breakage for the last week, my breakage has stopped. Its just normal breakage now, and when my hair is wet and run my hand through it, its still fine.... I left the conditioner in for 20/25mins under a hood dryer, and then used it again two days later and left it in 15/20mins under a plastic cap.... and my hair is doing good! I know the bottle says it helps with over 90% of breakage, and I used the relaxers and it helps my hair.
I'm going to try this, I run into this same problem all the time.....I find it amazing that I am able to retain any length after alla the shedding that i've dealt with :ohwell:

what products are you using Danni?

I use NTM and HE None of your frizzness as leave ins and to moisturize, I use wave nouveau mixed with water as a spritz for extra moisture when needed, I seal with SSI Seyani Hair Butter, and last week I used aphogee 2min reconstructor followed by Suave Humectant.

Still working on getting my regimen more natural/organic

Using Ion's chelating shampoo helped a lot with what I was beginning to consider excessive shedding. It's interesting that the further I am from a relaxer I'm noticing things about my hair I didn't know before. I've let go of my tied, died and laid to the side mentality and instead I'm embracing different textures and style expectations.

Since I am on an intensive "Healthier Me" program I wear my hair down for a couple of hours per week when I rollerset after that it's a protective style. It's allowing me to stretch, which I didn't think I could do before discovering processes for healthy hair, so I am looking forward to holding out until Jan before I texlax, if I do at all.

I seriously need to work on taking better hair pictures and having my family do the same. They just sort of stand back and click and I can't seem to get the hang of taking a picture over my shoulder. Oh well, much like my rollersets, we'll just keep trying. :grin:

Have a successful week!

Last edited:
I use NTM and HE None of your frizzness as leave ins and to moisturize, I use wave nouveau mixed with water as a spritz for extra moisture when needed, I seal with SSI Seyani Hair Butter, and last week I used aphogee 2min reconstructor followed by Suave Humectant.

Still working on getting my regimen more natural/organic

i used to love NTM as well and use it religiously, but then i found out i am cone sensitive.

maybe it's the cones which can at first give slip and a nice flexible feel to the hair, but it doesn't allow the real moisture to get into the hair. that's why my HE bottles are collecting dust, too.

one day, i may go back to them, but for now, i'm loving Aubrey Organics!
the chelating suggestion is good to do first, though, because if you have buildup of cones on, not even AO can get through that layer of silicone. ACV rinses can help too (always with water, never straight ACV.)

BigMomma, i LOVE your new siggy!
great color for the top and great retention for the length!

it's also really nice to accompany you on this new road of discovery as you learn new things about your hair!
it reminds me of how i am constantly discovering new things every single day.!
thanks alot!

Thank you Grow!

When you mentioned the color of my top I just remembered that I can actually change the color of my first pic fairly easy using PSP X3. Wow I can't believe I had forgotten that. It's good to have friends on this journey.

***HUGS***

:hiya::hiya::hiya::hiya::hiya:

Hello everyone. I know I have been MIA but with my computer being down, my move and school starting things have been busy, busy, busy. Nevertheless, I have to say that I have truly missed you all and I have not really been thinking about my hair as much just letting it do what it do. Because I will be the first to admit that I have become a tad bit addicted to this site. I have been working on my back for the next length check picture in December though:grin: and I have been attampting to work out every morning for a hour. Along with this I researched healthy foods for hair and thought I may share.

Healthy Hair Food No. 1: Salmon
When it comes to foods that pack a beauty punch, it's hard to beat salmon. Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, this high-quality protein source is also filled with vitamin B-12 and iron.

"Essential omega-3 fatty acids are needed to support scalp health," says Andrea Giancoli, MPH, RD, a dietitian in Los Angeles and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. "A deficiency can result in a dry scalp and thus hair, giving it a dull look."

Vegetarian? Include one or two tablespoons of ground flaxseed in your daily diet for some plant-based omega-3 fats.

Healthy Hair Food No. 2: Dark Green Vegetables
Popeye the Sailor Man didn't eat all that spinach for healthy hair, but he could have. Spinach, like broccoli and Swiss chard, is an excellent source of vitamins A and C, which your body needs to produce sebum. The oily substance, secreted by your hair follicles, is the body's natural hair conditioner.

Dark green vegetables also provide iron and calcium.

Healthy Hair Food No. 3: Beans
Beans, beans, they're good for your ... hair?

Yes, it's true. Legumes like kidney beans and lentils should be an important part of your hair-care diet. Not only do they provide plentiful protein to promote hair growth, but ample iron, zinc, and biotin. While rare, biotin deficiencies can result in brittle hair.

Blatner, who is also a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, recommends three or more cups of lentils or beans each week.

Healthy Hair Food No. 4: Nuts
Do you go nuts for thick, shiny hair? You should.

Brazil nuts are one of nature's best sources of selenium, an important mineral for the health of your scalp.

Walnuts contain alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid that may help condition your hair. They are also a terrific source of zinc, as are cashews, pecans, and almonds. A zinc deficiency can lead to hair shedding, so make sure nuts are a regular on your healthy hair menu.

Healthy Hair Food No. 5: Poultry
Chickens and turkeys may have feathers, but the high-quality protein they provide will help give you the healthy hair you crave.

"Without adequate protein or with low-quality protein, one can experience weak brittle hair, while a profound protein deficiency can result in loss of hair color," Giancoli tells WebMD.

Poultry also provides iron with a high degree of bioavailability, meaning your body can easily reap its benefits.

Healthy Hair Food No. 6: Eggs
When it comes to healthy hair, it doesn't matter whether you like your eggs scrambled, fried, or over easy. However they're served up, eggs are one of the best protein sources you can find.

They also contain biotin and vitamin B-12, which are important beauty nutrients.

Healthy Hair Food No. 7: Whole Grains
Sink your teeth into hearty whole grains, including whole-wheat bread and fortified whole-grain breakfast cereals, for a hair-healthy dose of zinc, iron, and B vitamins.

A whole-grain snack can also be a great go-to food when your energy is zapped halfway through the afternoon, and you've still got hours to go before dinner.

Healthy Hair Food No. 8: Oysters
Oysters may be better known for their reputation as an aphrodisiac, but they can also lead to healthy hair -- and who doesn't love that?

The key to their love and hair-boosting abilities is zinc -- a powerful antioxidant.

If oysters don't make a regular appearance on your dinner plate, don't despair. In addition to getting it from whole grains and nuts, you can also get zinc from beef and lamb.

Healthy Hair Food No. 9: Low-Fat Dairy Products
Low-fat dairy products like skim milk and yogurt are great sources of calcium, an important mineral for hair growth. They also contain whey and casein, two high-quality protein sources.

For some healthy hair foods "to-go," try throwing a yogurt or cottage cheese cup in your bag when you head out in the morning to snack on later in the day. You can even boost their hair benefits by stirring in a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseeds or walnuts for omega-3 fatty acids and zinc.

Healthy Hair Food No. 10: Carrots
Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A, which promotes a healthy scalp along with good vision.

Since a healthy scalp is essential for a shiny, well-conditioned head of hair, you'd be wise to include carrots in your diet as snacks or toppings on your salad.

The Big Picture: A Balanced Diet for Healthy Hair
When it comes to foods for healthy hair and beauty, variety is the best way to go.

"An overall balanced diet of lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fatty fish like salmon and low-fat dairy will help keep hair healthy," Giancoli says.

If you're tempted to drop pounds fast with the latest fad diet, it could leave you with less-than-healthy hair -- along with a growling stomach. Low-calorie diets are often low in some of the most important nutrients for healthy hair, including omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, and vitamin A. In addition to stunting hair growth and leading to dullness, super-low calorie plans may even cause hair loss.

"Crash diets can affect the hair cycle," Mirmirani tells WebMD. "Losing a significant amount of weight in a short amount of time can affect that normal hair rhythm. Two to three months later, you might notice a significant increase in shedding. This is a temporary problem that you recover from with a well-rounded diet."

http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/top-10-foods-for-healthy-hair?page=3

:hiya::hiya::hiya::hiya::hiya:

Hello everyone. I know I have been MIA but with my computer being down, my move and school starting things have been busy, busy, busy. Nevertheless, I have to say that I have truly missed you all and I have not really been thinking about my hair as much just letting it do what it do. Because I will be the first to admit that I have become a tad bit addicted to this site. I have been working on my back for the next length check picture in December though:grin: and I have been attampting to work out every morning for a hour. Along with this I researched healthy foods for hair and thought I may share.

Healthy Hair Food No. 1: Salmon
When it comes to foods that pack a beauty punch, it's hard to beat salmon. Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, this high-quality protein source is also filled with vitamin B-12 and iron.

"Essential omega-3 fatty acids are needed to support scalp health," says Andrea Giancoli, MPH, RD, a dietitian in Los Angeles and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. "A deficiency can result in a dry scalp and thus hair, giving it a dull look."

Vegetarian? Include one or two tablespoons of ground flaxseed in your daily diet for some plant-based omega-3 fats.

Healthy Hair Food No. 2: Dark Green Vegetables
Popeye the Sailor Man didn't eat all that spinach for healthy hair, but he could have. Spinach, like broccoli and Swiss chard, is an excellent source of vitamins A and C, which your body needs to produce sebum. The oily substance, secreted by your hair follicles, is the body's natural hair conditioner.

Dark green vegetables also provide iron and calcium.

Healthy Hair Food No. 3: Beans
Beans, beans, they're good for your ... hair?

Yes, it's true. Legumes like kidney beans and lentils should be an important part of your hair-care diet. Not only do they provide plentiful protein to promote hair growth, but ample iron, zinc, and biotin. While rare, biotin deficiencies can result in brittle hair.

Blatner, who is also a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, recommends three or more cups of lentils or beans each week.

Healthy Hair Food No. 4: Nuts
Do you go nuts for thick, shiny hair? You should.

Brazil nuts are one of nature's best sources of selenium, an important mineral for the health of your scalp.

Walnuts contain alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid that may help condition your hair. They are also a terrific source of zinc, as are cashews, pecans, and almonds. A zinc deficiency can lead to hair shedding, so make sure nuts are a regular on your healthy hair menu.

Healthy Hair Food No. 5: Poultry
Chickens and turkeys may have feathers, but the high-quality protein they provide will help give you the healthy hair you crave.

"Without adequate protein or with low-quality protein, one can experience weak brittle hair, while a profound protein deficiency can result in loss of hair color," Giancoli tells WebMD.

Poultry also provides iron with a high degree of bioavailability, meaning your body can easily reap its benefits.

Healthy Hair Food No. 6: Eggs
When it comes to healthy hair, it doesn't matter whether you like your eggs scrambled, fried, or over easy. However they're served up, eggs are one of the best protein sources you can find.

They also contain biotin and vitamin B-12, which are important beauty nutrients.

Healthy Hair Food No. 7: Whole Grains
Sink your teeth into hearty whole grains, including whole-wheat bread and fortified whole-grain breakfast cereals, for a hair-healthy dose of zinc, iron, and B vitamins.

A whole-grain snack can also be a great go-to food when your energy is zapped halfway through the afternoon, and you've still got hours to go before dinner.

Healthy Hair Food No. 8: Oysters
Oysters may be better known for their reputation as an aphrodisiac, but they can also lead to healthy hair -- and who doesn't love that?

The key to their love and hair-boosting abilities is zinc -- a powerful antioxidant.

If oysters don't make a regular appearance on your dinner plate, don't despair. In addition to getting it from whole grains and nuts, you can also get zinc from beef and lamb.

Healthy Hair Food No. 9: Low-Fat Dairy Products
Low-fat dairy products like skim milk and yogurt are great sources of calcium, an important mineral for hair growth. They also contain whey and casein, two high-quality protein sources.

For some healthy hair foods "to-go," try throwing a yogurt or cottage cheese cup in your bag when you head out in the morning to snack on later in the day. You can even boost their hair benefits by stirring in a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseeds or walnuts for omega-3 fatty acids and zinc.

Healthy Hair Food No. 10: Carrots
Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A, which promotes a healthy scalp along with good vision.

Since a healthy scalp is essential for a shiny, well-conditioned head of hair, you'd be wise to include carrots in your diet as snacks or toppings on your salad.

:hiya: Soldier!
We've missed you chick :yep:
And you've taken the liberty to do alil research for us, way to make a comeback! lol
I will definitely be utilizing this info, and trying to incorporate more of this into my daily diet...:pray: for me (i've NEVER been the type to eat healthy smh)

Hey everyone!

Good to see that everyone is progressing nicely-great progress D.Lisha! Hope you get the breakage under control, Danni....sounds like grow might be on to something with the cones...

Thanks for all the info on healthy eating and hair, Soldier! I really do strive to eat clean and green, so it's good to know it is benefiting my hair as well. Even though it's not food, we should add water to that list... LOTS of water! Good for your hair, body, and skin :yep:

I did a mini check and I finally reached bsl. So, I'm happy about that, but I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for that bsl stall that I hear so much about :ohwell: I'm shooting for midback by our next length check, but if it doesn't happen, so be it.

Gratz on reaching bsl Naturallista! I agree with you on the water. I currently drink 10 glasses per day and I'm easing up to 12 with my final goal of being to drink 1 gallon per day starting in the new year.

Have a healthy weekend ladies!

Gratz on reaching bsl Naturallista! I agree with you on the water. I currently drink 10 glasses per day and I'm easing up to 12 with my final goal of being to drink 1 gallon per day starting in the new year.

Have a healthy weekend ladies!

Thanks!

That's awesome, Bigmommah. I am now at a gallon a day (most days) and I'm feeling really good....it's just the whole bathroom situation :drowning: that is a little difficult to deal with, but I read somewhere that will fade after awhile. I don't know, we shall see.

Also, I had a dream last night that my hair grew to waistlength. I was so excited and my family couldn't believe it (it grew right in front of their eyes :lol: ) I got to say, my ends were looking RAGEDY in that dream, but I *so* did not care!

Watch out waist, here I come! :evillaugh:

LOL! I don't have hair dreams (yet) but I would have probably jumped up and claimed it as a prophecy! J/K

I know what you mean about the bathroom needs but currently my desk is close enough to the ladies room that it's not overly stressful.

Grow Girl Grow!:yahoo:

my wig dreams are when I dream I'm at work and I have like a SL LF wig on and when I get home, I take that sucker off, take off my wig cap and my hair falls down to BSL lmao

My weekend was pretty busy. We're moving in 2 weeks so I am trying to get as much packed, cleared out and given away as possible. Hair wise I did my usual and I think I finally understand why my saran wraps were not coming out correctly. I forgot to add additional moisture like a lotion etc.

I hope you all have a successful week.

Woo hoo! Id like to join this challenge please! Im a slow grower, but im already APL, so with baby steps, hopefully Ill be there by DEC 31st 2012. Thats my tentative date! :grin: I didnt plan on doing another length check until Dec, so ill post my length check pic from June as my starting pic. I plan on doing the BKT in a few months (GOTTA tame these SSK's), and then PS from there on out.

Im at 10 in in the back

and heres the front

Last edited:
Welcome to the group Sunbubbles. These ladies are very encouraging and just downright fun.

I can't wait for you all to see my blog with the graphic that our very own D. Lisha designed for me. She has mad skills. :yep:

I did a pre-poo with my coconut oil and garlic and let me tell you guys the results this time were amazing. The only thing I did differently was the length of time I pre-poo'd and the fact that I was working outside for a few hours in the hot sun cleaning out the garage. When I went to wash it out I was able to comb through my hair with nothing on it but water. At 7 weeks post for me that is normally a huge no-no. My ng would normally grab the comb and knock me upside the head.

I bought the coconut oil from a member here and forgot to ask her the brand because I want to buy a gallon of it. :grin:

I mixed it in with my jbco and rub it on my nape and front edges because those 2 areas suffer from 2 different afflictions. I have small spots on my right and left temple that were damaged when Rio was on the market. My nape suffers from issues because of my thyroid but I'm not giving up on it. It may never be as thick or long as the rest of my hair but I'm still going to keep pampering it.

Back