Twist/Braid/Bun For Growth Challenge 7/1/13 - 9/30/13

My hair does the same thing when I pull and stretch it!! So coconut oil + light protein + stretching washes? I'll try this out!
Definitely give it a try!! I would love to know if it helps your hair like it did mine :yep:.

jesusislove1526 , I love your wash n'go!! I'm jealous at how it hangs :lick:. My wash n'go is on day 2 and it's all up and out :lol:.

I love having my hair completely twisted up by Friday night. I hate though that my hair is starting to dry out by Monday and will need to be remoisturized :sad: So that means my hair will be fuzzy from Tuesday through Friday (sigh). Yes, I want it all. :yep:

I have some lush henna that I've tryna get my mom to help me with for weeks now she finally said yes so we'll do it Friday!

I did these twists on Friday and set them on rollers yesterday.

Tre cute!!

Yes, the heat is making keeping my hair up a breeze. It always wins the self arguments

Today makes week 2 for my twists. Will probably take them out by this weekend to bun. I'm trying to stretch my wash days to 2-2.5 weeks to minimize detangling.
I've also been trying the inversion thing this week to see if I see a significant amount of growth.
Also I'm starting to ghe more over night when I seal my ends. I'm aiming to seal my ends every night now if not every other. Split end prevention!!!

Stayed up until 3am washing and retwisting my hair. I really need to speed up my twisting. LOL

I think I will keep them in for 3 weeks this time. I'm in debate whether my hair is just thinner/lower density in the front or if the hair itself is just weaker. It's so prone to breakage. My temple area appears to be low density while everywhere else is normal.

I'm in need of a henna sometime soon.

I posted this in the MBL challenge thread- no response:sad: I should hav posted here now that i thinking about it, anyhoo...
please assist if you can...

I'm so happy, I can keep these up for a month, this will be my go to style for the remainder of the year hopefully:look: I don't want to texlax:perplexed....

I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't have breakage at the demarcation line. I did moisturize with Cantu, which I never used before so I'm not sure how my new growth will react (you think it's too much protein for new growth??) and hemp oil at the roots last night. Previously I was using Elasta QP H20 eerrr.. it's not enough.
Any suggestions with a liquid(no glycerin it cause more poof)or cream(that doesnt leave residue)???
will my hair knot up, leaving the twists in for a month?
It may be a tall order but you ladies can help me out with some suggestions :yep:

Last edited:
MizzBFly
Is there protein in Cantu? I've never used any of their products but I know a few people who use it everyday with no problems. So I'm going to say no but don't take my word for it lol. Just see how it goes I guess.

I like the sheamoisture Shea conditioner and the black soap conditioner as styling products. I'm not sure if they have glycerin tho. Or you could use Shea butter n mix it with avj?

Also I'm 3c/4a( I think) and my hair starts to knot up when I get my twists wet and occasionally the shed hair causes it to tangle at the ends but it's not thing to bad. I've never left mine in that long but I guess you could periodically take a couple down just to check that everything is going fine?

Hope that helps a bit :/

@Igotstripes

Thanks for your thoughts:) Cantu has Hydrolyzed Soy Protein & Hydrolyzed Collagen- since application to my new growth which is an inch AND a overnight baggy to whole head last night, my roots feel normal not moisturized though- I just dont want breakage at the demarcation line:nono:

Right now- I'm trying to find any excuse to stay out of my hair..lol so this "idea" to leave it in for a month sounds "GOLDEN", but to be smart I don't want to take any set back chances b/c MBL is my December goal. This weekend is 3 weeks, I will take your advice and check and see if their trouble to take down.

... sometimes you want someone to stop you from jumping off the bridge so thank YOU!!! :hug2:

Last edited:
Until I tried it myself, I thought the reason people had very defined twistouts and braidouts from just using oil was because they had that kind of texture. Well, I am so glad to be wrong! I'm still bunning and wearing my hair up, but the 2 times I've taken down my braids right after washing, have produced the best braidouts I have ever had. I took down a braid and screamed, "Oh my god! My hair looks like Naptural85's!" :lachen: Plus it's now so easy to maintain my braidout for the week. Luckily, I'm still in the love stage of psing because I can't be bothered to wear my hair down for more than 1 hour :lol:

My ends are faring badly. I don't know if I can continue this. I moisturize and seal them daily. I don't know what to do.:ohwell:

My ends are faring badly. I don't know if I can continue this. I moisturize and seal them daily. I don't know what to do.:ohwell:

Oh no! :sad: What issue are you having with them? Maybe your hair's like mine and is particular about how it's styled and handled. I can't moisturize and seal daily. My ends will get ratty and tangled if I add any type of moisturizer too regularly between washes. But I adding oil to my hair every night keeps it soft, pliable, and keeps breakage at bay. Twists (except for small ones) cause crazy ssk's for me. I also can't tuck my ends away for more than a few hours. If my ends get overly stretched (which is a problem I've never heard of anyone else having), they get knotty and damaged.

Until I tried it myself, I thought the reason people had very defined twistouts and braidouts from just using oil was because they had that kind of texture. Well, I am so glad to be wrong! I'm still bunning and wearing my hair up, but the 2 times I've taken down my braids right after washing, have produced the best braidouts I have ever had. I took down a braid and screamed, "Oh my god! My hair looks like Naptural85's!" :lachen: Plus it's now so easy to maintain my braidout for the week. Luckily, I'm still in the love stage of psing because I can't be bothered to wear my hair down for more than 1 hour :lol:

@ckiskand would you mind explaining your process more. How did you set your braids/twists? How long they were in? How long after washing did you wait before taking them down. I d love to hear the details. TIA

How did I miss this challenge? Been having box braids since 6/30 & will keep getting them redone until December. That will be a 31 week relaxer stretch and 6 months protective styling. Hoping to be Whip length in December. I miss my hair though.

Still bunning. I have another week left before my next wash day. I've been wearing my hair down sometimes when I go out, but usually not more than a couple of hours. With straight hair it's much easier to go back and forth. I think I should go ahead and dust my ends even though they seem fine. Don't want to wait too long.

I don't feel like doing my hair today. Not look forward to 4 hours. I think I will skip it today. Maybe I can squeeze it in tomorrow.

So, instead of my usual bun, I'm going to try a twist out for tomorrow. If it turns out good, I'll post pics :lol:

Happy weekend ladies!

Today was wash day. Will probably do some large cornrows in the front and braids in the back. Either thator same style with twists.

Back