Twist/Braid/Bun For Growth Challenge 7/1/13 - 9/30/13

I got a consultation with a stylist named Ann Marie today. She is going to give me deep treatment and clip my ends in 2 weeks. I was amazed that she recommended natural hair and said protective styles aid hair growth.:blush: I was also happy that she told me to use sulfate free shampoo and products that were free of drying alcohols. The two oils she recommended for me was coconut oil and argan oil. She is familiar with textured and natural hair. I felt at ease going back to her. I did not expect her to be so knowledgeable about the challenges that I and other naturals face with their hair because she is a white stylist. Can you tell how excited I am to finally find someone like that who shared knowledge of my natural hair?!:spinning::yay:

I am preparing my hair for a relaxer on next Friday so I washed, did a protein treatment, DC with a moisturizing conditioner, air dried, flat ironed, and put my hair in a bun. I will keep a bun through the week.

@ckiskand would you mind explaining your process more. How did you set your braids/twists? How long they were in? How long after washing did you wait before taking them down. I d love to hear the details. TIA
I'm sorry. I wrote and long tail answer the other day, but apparently it didn't post :ohwell:.

In the shower, I apply a good amount condish to my hair and detangle with a comb. I squeeze the condish out, but don't rinse it out. Out of the shower, I have my hair in 4 sections, and I complete one section at the time. On each section, I apply a good palmful of oil (CO+sunflower), then I do 3-4 braids per section. As I braid up each section, I add more oil to the length of each braid. If I wash and set my hair in the morning, it'll be dry by the time I go to bed :yep:. I take it down and reset it in 3-4 braids that same night or I wait a day. And that's it! My routine for braidouts is the same as it used to be, but now I don't bother with a styler or butter. The key is adding lots of oil to the hair. Like so much so that my hands are coated in oil from touching my hair :look:. It absorbs over a couple of days, but I apply oil every night, and my hair does not get dry although I don't moisturize it at all for a week :yep:.

Washing my hair today finally. I'm going to do enough twist to wear a twist out tomorrow and then twist it up tomorrow night. Or I am going to do enough twist out but then later tonight break them down into smaller twist. We will see how I feel later.

faithVA omgeee...your hair looks so shiny and fluffy in your avatar!

I been bad, wearing my hair out way to much. My ends are like no bueno. So...back to following the rules. LOL.

I just finished washing my hair. Will put it in about 20 med sized braids in prep for an updo tomorrow - I am short of time today. Then tomorrow I will put it in small-med sized twists for the rest of the week.

Last edited:
My hair has been washed and deep conditioned. Doing bantu knots tomorrow. I hope they turn out good.

20130818_142824_zps7c7f685d.jpg

Do you think this is a normal amount of shedding for two weeks or would u say it's too much? It's kind of pulled apart

My hair has been washed and deep conditioned. Doing bantu knots tomorrow. I hope they turn out good.

Do you think this is a normal amount of shedding for two weeks or would u say it's too much? It's kind of pulled apart

It's normal, that's about the size of my hair ball after two weeks.

faithVA omgeee...your hair looks so shiny and fluffy in your avatar!

I been bad, wearing my hair out way to much. My ends are like no bueno. So...back to following the rules. LOL.

I just finished washing my hair. Will put it in about 20 med sized braids in prep for an updo tomorrow - I am short of time today. Then tomorrow I will put it in small-med sized twists for the rest of the week.

You don't know how much that means coming from you bajandoc86. Thank You!

I'm doing a HOT right now. I'm unsure of how to style my hair for the next few weeks. I do know I'm gonna put some Havana twists in before I leave for school but that's nearer to the end of the challenge.

So, today I attempted to be cute while thinking I was going to pull one over on the weather. I took down my 2 braids and had a lovely braidout, and thought, I can't wear my hair completely down because it'll be a mess by the end of the day. I decide to put my hair in a ponytail. And it was a legit ponytail (touched the top of my back and everything) and not a ponypuff. I leave my house, walk to the bus stop, and literally feel my hair turn into a fro :lachen:. I have never had my hair fro up that quickly in my life!! It was literally 10 mins, and BAM!!! I had this big tail puff on the back of my head. Apparently, north of Atlanta is way more humid than where I was living at. I could get rained on and my hair wouldn't poof like this. And oil does not provide the kind of barrier, synthetic ingredients do. I haven't been able to wear my hair down since I've been here :ohwell:.

Ummm yeah:look:

I waited 4 weeks to not touch my head besides washing in these (homemade)twists, but after my last wash and I noticed some twists were hugging each other **tightly** I might add- yeah, I have to start taking these babies out starting tonight.:grin:

Last edited:
Did a twisted bun today on 2-day old twists that I banded overnight. I worked out this afternoon though, and now I'm worried about my roots puffing up. Oh well. Gonna m&s and stretch/band tonight and pray on it. :-)

image-2601888898.jpg

image-2900976286.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I put in pretty ugly twist this time :ohwell: But I'm too lazy to fix them. I will need to find a really wide band tomorrow to hold them down. I just need to make it through Wednesday and Thursday. I can wear a twist out on Friday and wash Friday or Saturday.

Guess I should officially enter this before I start posting stuff, huh? :-)

1. My primary long-term PS is usually DIY micro-braids, but given that this challenge calls for no added hair, I'll be twisting it up!
2. Style maintenance: I m&s daily and use the banding method overnight on my co-wash days. This usually keeps my hair looking neat throughout the work week.
3. I'm natural
4. I hope that this challenge will help me develop a routine and learn some new low-maintenance styles.
5. Will wear my hair out on Friday, pre-poo (every week except henna week) or henna (once monthly) overnight on Fridays, co-wash (mud-wash biweekly on non-henna weeks) and DC on Saturday, and twist it right back up on Sunday. I exercise a lot, so I sometimes throw a co-wash in on Wednesdays while my hair is still in twists.
6. Starting pic is below (me on Sunday, 8/18)

image-1351529852.jpg

I'm really thinking about washing or cowashing once a week until I get this dry spot on my scalp under control.

I cowashed and twisted in medium sized twists for the weeks. I used the Bel Nuovo Hair Milk, Qhemet BRBC and AHTB. My twists are so SOFT. I did my ususal twisted updo.

I really wanted to wait until November for a trim but I have some bad ends that need to go. I'll make an appointment sometime in early September.

ckisland

*singing* Welcome to Atlanta where the players play. And we have to bun our hair almost every day... :look:

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

im so tired of looking at these twists lol. maybe next time i take em out ill actually where my hair out for a day. but at least they feel soft.

being bored with my hair is not good.

im so tired of looking at these twists lol. maybe next time i take em out ill actually where my hair out for a day. but at least they feel soft.

being bored with my hair is not good.

After taking my hair down after back to back 2 months in twists, I had to wear a twistout for a couple of days. You just miss your hair sometimes.

ckisland

*singing* Welcome to Atlanta where the players play. And we have to bun our hair almost every day... :look:

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

Like seriously, it's crazy! But can somebody tell me why my wash n'go can deal with this humidity and drizzle, and be un-phased :look:? I wore a wash n'go today, that was still a little damp this morning, and it looks like it did when I left the house. It didn't frizzy or poof up, or even shrink. And I barely added any gel, and it sure wasn't raked through. So the humidity will ruin a braidout on hair that's been braided up every night for a week, but won't mess up a late night wash n'go. I guess that's cool :spinning:

^^^ Girl I haven't even tried to play myself and wear any out styles in this weather. I'll be the unlucky one.

I don't know if it's too late but I'll like to join in? I just discovered the wonders of loose twists so I'll be using that. I feel that it'll make bunning and updos so much easier for me.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)?
loose two strand twists, twists/buns between
2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
stretch hair and install twists
keep in for minimum of one month
between that time moisturize and cleanse scalp, redoing necessary twists
at takedown: wash, dc and repeat with one/two week style reprieve.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
retain length and ease of maintenance
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
3 days to give myself buffer
6. Include Starting Pic ASAP. (You will not be named an official challenger without one).
5YnhfD1.jpg

I really suck at length checks but it's at BSL and has been for a bit
7jlicCp.jpg

uTQkQxi.jpg

My attempt at loose twists. Made them too loose though so will try them tighter next time.

I don't know if it's too late but I'll like to join in? I just discovered the wonders of loose twists so I'll be using that. I feel that it'll make bunning and updos so much easier for me.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)?
loose two strand twists, twists/buns between
2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
stretch hair and install twists
keep in for minimum of one month
between that time moisturize and cleanse scalp, redoing necessary twists
at takedown: wash, dc and repeat with one/two week style reprieve.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
retain length and ease of maintenance
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
3 days to give myself buffer
6. Include Starting Pic ASAP. (You will not be named an official challenger without one).

I really suck at length checks but it's at BSL and has been for a bit

My attempt at loose twists. Made them too loose though so will try them tighter next time.

Welcome! I'm going to have to try those

Wore my twists down yesterday and today. Yesterday is the red shirt, today is the brown. Tomorrow is a henna day, so I'm going to do a twist-out. I'll post pics.

image-2291499105.jpg
image-2597776502.jpg

Wearing a twist out today. Even though the twist looked horrible, the twist out came out nice. I'm either twisting back up tonight or tomorrow.

Back